Post Reply 180 posts
Does any 1 band guarantee your NEXT cruise ?
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Does any 1 band guarantee your NEXT cruise ?

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 am

A lot of people are saying that "if this band is one then I will be" or whatever. Are you truely NOT going to go if that band isn't announced? I mentioned in my previous post that there are a lot of bands I want to see eventually but I'm going anyways, I don't need to know the lineup ahead of time. Just asking, I'm probably reading all of your posts wrong anyways.

I guess I'll play along though. The band at the top of my list right now is Wintersun. I could name dozens of Melodic Death and Prog Power bands that I would be beyond ecstatic about though (see list down there). The only band I want to see worse than Wintersun is Rush, who wouldn't play this cruise.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 am

Stained Class wrote:A lot of people are saying that "if this band is one then I will be" or whatever. Are you truely NOT going to go if that band isn't announced? I mentioned in my previous post that there are a lot of bands I want to see eventually but I'm going anyways, I don't need to know the lineup ahead of time. Just asking, I'm probably reading all of your posts wrong anyways.

I guess I'll play along though. The band at the top of my list right now is Wintersun. I could name dozens of Melodic Death and Prog Power bands that I would be beyond ecstatic about though (see list down there). The only band I want to see worse than Wintersun is Rush, who wouldn't play this cruise.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going on anymore cruises in the next few years. I just can't afford it. This cruise was kind of a freak occurrence for me, as far as affordability goes. I'm moving out of my parents house soon, and after looking at what kinds of jobs are available and what they pay, I'm going to be one broke-ass bitch for years to come. Also, if I move to Canada, I will stay in Canada. No trips to Miami in that case. Visa related reasons.

So really, I don't think there's any 1 band that would guarantee my next cruise. If Turisas and a few other awesome folk metal bands were on, I'd try a little harder to go on another cruise.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am

AlaskaRachel wrote:Also, if I move to Canada, I will stay in Canada. No trips to Miami in that case. Visa related reasons.

What visa would you be getting that doesn't let you travel outside of the country? :shock:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:35 am

It depends if there are some repeats from the first year. I have already seen my top 3 of bands on the ship, which are Sonata, Nightwish and Kamelot.

So, as far as repeats go, Sonata and Blind Guardian would kind of guarantee my next cruise, but I don't know if I can manage it financially
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am

mooyagi wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:Also, if I move to Canada, I will stay in Canada. No trips to Miami in that case. Visa related reasons.

What visa would you be getting that doesn't let you travel outside of the country? :shock:

Student Visa. Same reason my buddy Roman wasn't able to come on the cruise or Wacken or Symphony X in Seattle or many other trips that he really wishes he could have. He's from Russia, so the only places he's allowed to be with his visa are Canada and Russia. Actually, this just occured to me. Rachel, on a student visa are you not allowed to visit at least Canada and your home country? Or do you need special permissions just to go home to visit family and stuff? I suppose the cruise isn't just in the US so that kinda rules that part out... :?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:39 am

Stained Class wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Student Visa. Same reason my buddy Roman wasn't able to come on the cruise or Wacken or Symphony X in Seattle or many other trips that he really wishes he could have. He's from Russia, so the only places he's allowed to be with his visa are Canada and Russia. Actually, this just occured to me. Rachel, on a student visa are you not allowed to visit at least Canada and your home country? Or do you need special permissions just to go home to visit family and stuff? I suppose the cruise isn't just in the US so that kinda rules that part out... :?

I wonder if it's like that in the US. That sounds like a ridiculous restriction to have. I don't understand why Canada would care if someone on a student visa travels. What happens if the student gets a school sponsored opportunity to do a research project or a chance to study in a foreign country for a semester or so?
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:47 am

mooyagi wrote:What happens if the student gets a school sponsored opportunity to do a research project or a chance to study in a foreign country for a semester or so?

Then obviously they would get special permission on their visa to do it :P I don't know exactly how it works. It might have something to do with student loans too, I'm not really sure. But, I can understand them wanting you to focus on your schoolwork if you're here on visa.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 am

AlaskaRachel wrote: Also, if I move to Canada, I will stay in Canada. No trips to Miami in that case. Visa related reasons.

"If". Pffft. I've already counted you as an Albertan. Get your fine ass over here already :mrgreen:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:What happens if the student gets a school sponsored opportunity to do a research project or a chance to study in a foreign country for a semester or so?

Then obviously they would get special permission on their visa to do it :P I don't know exactly how it works. It might have something to do with student loans too, I'm not really sure. But, I can understand them wanting you to focus on your schoolwork if you're here on visa.

School loan related restrictions sound ridiculous too if that's the case :lol: How about between semesters? Damn Canadians! :mrgreen:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

School loan related restrictions sound ridiculous too if that's the case :lol: How about between semesters? Damn Canadians! :mrgreen:

I don't know! :P I'm just saying if the government is giving you free money then they wouldn't want you spending it on vacations in stead of school.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Stained Class wrote:I don't know! :P I'm just saying if the government is giving you free money then they wouldn't want you spending it on vacations in stead of school.

So pay the school directly, not the student. I know my school loans were never given directly to me. :P
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:I don't know! :P I'm just saying if the government is giving you free money then they wouldn't want you spending it on vacations in stead of school.

So pay the school directly, not the student. I know my school loans were never given directly to me. :P

That would make sense I guess. Wouldn't cover living expenses though.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

That would make sense I guess. Wouldn't cover living expenses though.

My school loans didn't cover living expenses. Canada's still dumb :P
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:46 pm

mooyagi wrote:My school loans didn't cover living expenses. Canada's still dumb :P

Right...you're argument is...yeah...
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    last_candle wrote:when was the last time Rw played another continent?

They were meant to play Rockwave 2004 in Greece when I was there. They cancelled at the 11th hour (some BS about not being able to get their gear there or some such rubbish).

Got replaced by Gamma Ray whom I had never seen live to that point though so I was reasonably okay with it.

What kinda sucked was waiting for the bus in Athens to go out to the venue, and seeing numerous fans in Running Wild shirts, who to that point had no idea that they had pulled out.

Greece is in Europe ;)
    I had my doubts about that story - but I can't really tell what was going on
    definitely a huge disappointment for all the Rw fans who traveled down there for Rw specifically
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Turisas, Motorhead, Behemoth

But right now Im not sure of going anyways, cuz me and my girl want to start a company. BUt if I sell my Mustang mach 1 I can probably do both=) Havnt decided yet. But its shit boring to be a forklift driver and a warehouse worker, have done that for 7 years now in different locations. So need to do something new.
    http://parethardrock.se/

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Motorhead, Vader, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Immortal, Xandria, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:41 pm

If I move to Canada PRIOR to school, I mean. I'm talking about if I move there this summer. It depends on what the job situation is, but if I can't find a job, I was planning to go there on a tourist visa and stay the max time (6 months I think) and spend that time finding a job. In that situation, I would definitely NOT leave Canada due to financial constrictions and the chance that they don't let me back in after the cruise. I think if I'm there on a work visa, I can do whatever I want. I don't know what the deal is with the student visa. I think the travel restrictions vary depending on what country you're from.
    Anyway, the biggest issue is finances. I have a lot of things I'd like to do, and the only way I can end up with a surplus of cash is to do nothing.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:43 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:If I move to Canada PRIOR to school, I mean. I'm talking about if I move there this summer. It depends on what the job situation is, but if I can't find a job, I was planning to go there on a tourist visa and stay the max time (6 months I think) and spend that time finding a job. In that situation, I would definitely NOT leave Canada due to financial constrictions and the chance that they don't let me back in after the cruise. I think if I'm there on a work visa, I can do whatever I want. I don't know what the deal is with the student visa. I think the travel restrictions vary depending on what country you're from.
    Anyway, the biggest issue is finances. I have a lot of things I'd like to do, and the only way I can end up with a surplus of cash is to do nothing.

Makes sense. You're still coming here in March though?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:If I move to Canada PRIOR to school, I mean. I'm talking about if I move there this summer. It depends on what the job situation is, but if I can't find a job, I was planning to go there on a tourist visa and stay the max time (6 months I think) and spend that time finding a job. In that situation, I would definitely NOT leave Canada due to financial constrictions and the chance that they don't let me back in after the cruise. I think if I'm there on a work visa, I can do whatever I want. I don't know what the deal is with the student visa. I think the travel restrictions vary depending on what country you're from.

if you can't find work in Alberta in 6 months your doing something really really wrong. now if your looking for a job only in one narrow field then yeah it might be harder but i know as an unskilled monkey i can go to Alberta today and have a job tomorrow.oh and money grows on trees in Alberta :roll:
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

CaptOblivious wrote:

if you can't find work in Alberta in 6 months your doing something really really wrong. now if your looking for a job only in one narrow field then yeah it might be harder but i know as an unskilled monkey i can go to Alberta today and have a job tomorrow.oh and money grows on trees in Alberta :roll:

True, but in order to get a permanent residence you have to get a job in a trained or educated position, so no you can't just up and move here and get a job at a gas station ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • Yost
    Oiler

by Yost » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    CaptOblivious wrote:True, but in order to get a permanent residence you have to get a job in a trained or educated position, so no you can't just up and move here and get a job at a gas station ;)

You can qualify even as a self-employed person if you get enough points on the selection criteria. Just having a 4-year degree and being the right age will almost cover it. Some mastery of the French language helps a lot with this.

I haven't looked lately, but used to be you could also "buy" your way in by depositing >$30K in a Canadian bank...
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm

The Gathering (w/ Anneke coming back on vocals)

But since that's impossible....... (I think)

Paradise Lost. I would buy today.

At The Gates would probably do it. I'm also a huge Tiamat/Anathema fan so them as well. Year 2 covered alot for me (Amorphis / My Dying Bride / Nightwish / Therion / Candlemass / Samael)

I've seen just about eveyrone else.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Yost wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:True, but in order to get a permanent residence you have to get a job in a trained or educated position, so no you can't just up and move here and get a job at a gas station ;)

You can qualify even as a self-employed person if you get enough points on the selection criteria. Just having a 4-year degree and being the right age will almost cover it. Some mastery of the French language helps a lot with this.

I haven't looked lately, but used to be you could also "buy" your way in by depositing >$30K in a Canadian bank...

Oh, cool. I've never actually looked closely at how to get into Canada (obviously) so I didn't know a lot of that stuff. Makes sense though. Rachel, learn French and you're pretty much in!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Yost wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:True, but in order to get a permanent residence you have to get a job in a trained or educated position, so no you can't just up and move here and get a job at a gas station ;)

Oh, cool. I've never actually looked closely at how to get into Canada (obviously) so I didn't know a lot of that stuff. Makes sense though. Rachel, learn French and you're pretty much in!

I've looked into all the various ways to get a job in Canada. It's a little more complicated than that ;)
    I think you can still buy your way in, but I only have about $200 to my name. That won't even cover gas to get to the border :lol:
    My biggest issue with this whole thing is work experience. I'm only 21, and I'm worried that employers won't want to jump through the hoops of sponsoring my visa when I'm just an entry-level worker and they could hire just about any other person on the street. I'm pretty sure an employer can only hire me if there are no qualified Canadian applicants for a position. But who knows, I'll find out when I start applying.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm

rwalters wrote:I'm also a huge Tiamat/Anathema fan so them as well.

Yay! I love Tiamat and Anathema :mrgreen:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Neck-Wrecker
    Petty Officer

by Neck-Wrecker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

As much as I love the concept of BTH, both my calendar and finances make it impossible.

So for 70k 2013...any of the following would cause me to book instantly:

Manowar (I can dream dammit)
    Entombed
    Dismember (again, I can dream)
    Savatage (see above)
    Sigh
    Accept
    Heathen
    Kalmah
    Kreator
    Omen
    Immortal
    HYPOCRISY
    Symphony X
    Anthrax
    Heidvolk
    Turisas

I am easy to please, get me a few of those and you will have me. Although, in all likelyhood I will be on the 70K cruise 2013....already started saving money :shred:
    Wishlist: HYPOCRISY, INTESTINE BAALISM, SIGH, MANOWAR, IMMORTAL, EQUILIBRIUM, MUNICIPAL WASTE, ACCEPT, HEATHEN, HOLY GRAIL, MANEGARM, PAGAN REIGN, DISMEMBER

Josh
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Neck-Wrecker wrote:As much as I love the concept of BTH, both my calendar and finances make it impossible.

So for 70k 2013...any of the following would cause me to book instantly:

Manowar (I can dream dammit)
    Entombed
    Dismember (again, I can dream)
    Savatage (see above)
    Sigh
    Accept
    Heathen
    Kalmah
    Kreator
    Omen
    Immortal
    HYPOCRISY
    Symphony X
    Anthrax
    Heidvolk
    Turisas

I am easy to please, get me a few of those and you will have me. Although, in all likelyhood I will be on the 70K cruise 2013....already started saving money :shred:

I've seen Entombed a few times. The last time was 2 years ago at Maryland Deathfest. They were not good that day. They really needed the second guitarist. I'd like to hear them again now that they have a second guitarist in the band once again. I'm hoping that 1 bad show was an anomaly.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 am

I think It's already guaranteed unelss the price rises too much or someone fired me but this would be great:

Nightwish, Avantasia, Lacuna Coil, Apocalyptica, and of course:

at least would be great a big tribute at the karaoke!
    Cheers!

Cab: 3500 G

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Memnoch wrote:So, there aren't that many bands I want to see that badly anymore and most definitely not any that I can think of that could sell the cruise for me. The cruise itself is the key point for me and good bands are a bonus.

After some serious thinking, I might have one band that could guarantee me going again (Barge or 70k): Emperor. :death:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 am

All my favourite bands have already played the cruise, so they won't be back next year. And then I can see all of them in Europe. So I will go to 70K next year (if I have the money) for the event itself and the awesome people, not for any particular band :)
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 am

Memnoch wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:So, there aren't that many bands I want to see that badly anymore and most definitely not any that I can think of that could sell the cruise for me. The cruise itself is the key point for me and good bands are a bonus.

After some serious thinking, I might have one band that could guarantee me going again (Barge or 70k): Emperor. :death:

I would love to see Emperor. The last time they came to the states, I wasn't able to make a trip down to New York for it. :cry: If they're not up for doing anymore shows then Ihsahn would be a great add.
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm

I would have to say Iron Maiden.
    I would also say TOOL!. ;-)
    ttiger
    Crewman

by ttiger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Within Temptation, Dream Theater ou Dimmu Borgir will sell it for me.
    Within temptation, Deathstars, BABYMETAL, Draconian, Diablo Swing Orchestra, OOmph, Megahertz, Dimmu Borgir, Eisbreche, Pain, HEAVENWOOD, HIM, Dope Stars Inc., Ram-Zet, After Forever, The Birthday Massacre, The 69 eyes, Turmion Kätilöt
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:47 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:

I would love to see Emperor. The last time they came to the states, I wasn't able to make a trip down to New York for it. :cry: If they're not up for doing anymore shows then Ihsahn would be a great add.

That would definitely be a "feather in the cap" for UMC to put together a reunion of this magnitude. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm

MadameLePink wrote:All my favourite bands have already played the cruise, so they won't be back next year. And then I can see all of them in Europe. So I will go to 70K next year (if I have the money) for the event itself and the awesome people, not for any particular band :)

What about Turisas, powerwolf, heidevolk, insomnium, kalmah, equilibrium?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Michael D. wrote:I would have to say Iron Maiden.

Between those two - I'd vote for Tool 100-fold (although I doubt they would ever be booked by the 70K folk) :P I know I'm speaking sacrilege in these parts ;) ....but I'm not much of an Iron Maiden fan - however, as I've said elsewhere - I really enjoyed seeing them headline Wacken and I did buy "Number of the Beast" just 'cuz. :headbanger: So, in other words, I don't "dislike" Iron Maiden, just not what I choose to listen to on a regular basis.

Back to Tool - big fan here (although don't think I've talked about them much or at all) - listening to The Grudge from Lateralus right now - crazy about this song. :P Never saw Tool live but did see lead singer :cool: Maynard James Keenan :cool: front his band A Perfect Circle at last summer's Lollapalooza - definitely a highlight of the whole three day fest for me. He's one of those rare performers who's really got it in my view.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

mooyagi wrote:

Ihsahn was amazing at ProgPower last year. I would love to see that again. :headbanger:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

Stained Class wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:All my favourite bands have already played the cruise, so they won't be back next year. And then I can see all of them in Europe. So I will go to 70K next year (if I have the money) for the event itself and the awesome people, not for any particular band :)

What about Turisas, powerwolf, heidevolk, insomnium, kalmah, equilibrium?

Well, even if I love them all, I don't love them enough to justify spending all those money just for them, as I can see them in Europe for much less. And of all those it's only Insomnium and Equilibrium that I haven't seen before and Insomnium I will see at Tuska this summer.
    Btw if we had the money to go next year, any of those names would make me very happy, unfortunately right now it doesn't look like we will be able to make it :cry:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 am

Laura wrote:
    Michael D. wrote:I would have to say Iron Maiden.

Between those two - I'd vote for Tool 100-fold (although I doubt they would ever be booked by the 70K folk) :P I know I'm speaking sacrilege in these parts ;) ....but I'm not much of an Iron Maiden fan - however, as I've said elsewhere - I really enjoyed seeing them headline Wacken and I did buy "Number of the Beast" just 'cuz. :headbanger: So, in other words, I don't "dislike" Iron Maiden, just not what I choose to listen to on a regular basis.

Back to Tool - big fan here (although don't think I've talked about them much or at all) - listening to The Grudge from Lateralus right now - crazy about this song. :P Never saw Tool live but did see lead singer :cool: Maynard James Keenan :cool: front his band A Perfect Circle at last summer's Lollapalooza - definitely a highlight of the whole three day fest for me. He's one of those rare performers who's really got it in my view.

I've seen Tool and Maynard spent the entire 2+ hour concert in his underwear with his back to the audience. Still ended up being an amazing show.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:47 am

^^^ Underwear? Lol - that sounds like him since I know he has worn all kinds of crazy get-ups over his long career (he's 47 now! :shock: :cool: :beerwink: ) Maynard was fully dressed for the Lolla Perfect Circle gig :P (see below), but he pretty much stood in one place the entire time. What I meant by the idea that (imo) he's one of those rare performers who has got it is that - for me at least - he has a fantastic (almost otherwordly) presence and energy that when combined with that voice and the music - is amazing. :D  So, all he has to do is stand there, not even move much at all - and sing - and voila - magic! I think there are very few front men/women who can pull that off live and still be totally awesome - but I'd definitely put Maynard in that category after seeing him last summer.  Shagrath is another. :beerwink:

Performing the song The Outsider at Lollapalooza, August 2011.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQlCvTS ... ata_player

2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!