Post Reply 2615 posts
The BARGE TO HELL 2012 Megathread
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: The BARGE TO HELL Is Coming!

by Mal2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:58 am

metalgoddess wrote:I'm still thinking about this one.

Have some personal stuff going on, but I really want to be on this cruise!

Don't think :) just come :death:
    that's what I said - book & pay all first, worry later :bangers:

M.
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
    Metal Heart
    Crewman

by Metal Heart » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Well me and my gf are all paid up. Way looking forward to it. But I do worry about a cancellation as well. At least for me 70000 tons line up isn't a must go to scenario at least as of now. Just announce some bands already or even get some of the bands that are on board to play some special sets or something maybe that could help the process.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Mal2000 wrote:

M.

That's the American spirit :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Mal2000 wrote:

M.

That's the American spirit :lol:

European spirit is even better..
    :P
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Nicolas0928 wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:One cruise. Most probably 70K, since that means I can get home for Christmas

Great :D I am thinking to go next 70K too :lol: :lol:

Good! :D
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Drink,

You making the switch yet? I know you have to be JACKED about Dragonforce and Rage!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 am

Really, really, really hope you make it Carrie!!! Let's party!! :beerbang: :cheers:
    (and p.s. - been meaning to message you for several days now - will later on ;) )
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 am

gnoff wrote:That being said, I wouldn't mind some more info, even a no announcement, for Barge, show us some love!

Would be nice. We need to average about a band announcement every 10 days now.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Laura wrote:

Really, really, really hope you make it Carrie!!! Let's party!! :beerbang: :cheers:
    (and p.s. - been meaning to message you for several days now - will later on ;) )

it would be rad to see ya Carrie, hope you find a way to make it work dear!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

MORGANA LEFAY FOR BARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm

gnoff wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    Laura wrote:

it would be rad to see ya Carrie, hope you find a way to make it work dear!

Yes indeed, hope to see you there!

Awwww, thanks! Where there's a will , there's a WAY! ;)
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Aaaaaaahhh can't wait! So far I like BTH's lineup waaaaaay better than 70K. Also glad to be done paying for it :D.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:Aaaaaaahhh can't wait! So far I like BTH's lineup waaaaaay better than 70K. Also glad to be done paying for it :D.

Sure is. a sick lineup that should have way more people booked!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:15 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Aaaaaaahhh can't wait! So far I like BTH's lineup waaaaaay better than 70K. Also glad to be done paying for it :D.

Sure is. a sick lineup that should have way more people booked!

Indeed. Kinda sad it isn't full yet! But I'm guessing once announcements pick up for it again so will bookings. If not, we should get upgrades!
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 pm

:deathmetal: :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    I made the Devil do it.
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 am

WizardBeast wrote:MORGANA LEFAY FOR BARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:

No way, they're clearly a 70K band (and quite far on top of my wishlist)
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 am

Anyone else get the feeling all the bands are already booked and all this "I want this band" is essentially pointless ????
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am

KevinP wrote:Anyone else get the feeling all the bands are already booked and all this "I want this band" is essentially pointless ????

Yeap. I think this is the case.
    I will not be surprised if UMC will do a marathon announcements again, SOON :mrgreen:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 am

Mal2000 wrote:
    KevinP wrote:Anyone else get the feeling all the bands are already booked and all this "I want this band" is essentially pointless ????

I will not be surprised if UMC will do a marathon announcements again, SOON :mrgreen:

i hope you're right, Barge needs a little excitement right now!!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am

Like everyone else, I'm really excited about and wondering who the next bands announced will be. Having said that, I'm thrilled with the bands booked so far (both the bands I know and love well *and* the bands that are totally new to me), and I'm gonna be really busy as it is!

Btw, how have some of you managed to exceed the sig character limit? I'd like to add more bands to my wishlist, but what I've got now is almost to the limit it seems.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Mal2000 wrote:

i hope you're right, Barge needs a little excitement right now!!!

It needs...something! Been a while since Barge was relevant.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:29 am

Laura wrote:Like everyone else, I'm really excited about and wondering who the next bands announced will be. Having said that, I'm thrilled with the bands booked so far (both the bands I know and love well *and* the bands that are totally new to me), and I'm gonna be really busy as it is!

Btw, how have some of you managed to exceed the sig character limit? I'd like to add more bands to my wishlist, but what I've got now is almost to the limit it seems.

what are some of the bands you've checked out for Barge that you like and did not know before, Laura? i still have yet to check out Solstafir.

Loudblast and Artillery were bands i hadn't heard much either. and i'll be all raging at the Soilwork sets even if everyone else claims to hate them now!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    Laura wrote:Like everyone else, I'm really excited about and wondering who the next bands announced will be. Having said that, I'm thrilled with the bands booked so far (both the bands I know and love well *and* the bands that are totally new to me), and I'm gonna be really busy as it is!

what are some of the bands you've checked out for Barge that you like and did not know before, Laura? i still have yet to check out Solstafir.

Loudblast and Artillery were bands i hadn't heard much either. and i'll be all raging at the Soilwork sets even if everyone else claims to hate them now!

Sorry for the late reply - I was kinda tied up this afternoon at work. Although there are still some more bands I need to check out - the three (whose music I didn't know at all before) that I have so far are Rotting Christ, Solstafir, & Holy Moses.

Rotting Christ - I bought RC's Theogonia from 2007 a few days ago....I know they've got a ton of recordings, but based on some overall reviews, that one seemed like a good one to start with. I'm not up to writing a full-blown review at the moment having just listened to it once....but I like the fact that they seem to bring something unique to the genres they are considered part of. There is some cool middle-eastern vibe here and there - sorry that I can't name a song title - anyway...I like!! Especially like Sakis' vocals too!

Holy Moses - Re Solstafir and Holy Moses, I've only youtubed a bit so far. I think the big appeal of Holy Moses for me is the bad-ass female lead singer Sabina (haha - who is just a few years younger than I am :beerbang: ) ; I think Tom (Scott) Cruise mentioned that he had met her and said she was cool. I think it would be really fun to meet and chat with her as well...kind of like when I met Doro. I don't remember if I ever fessed up to this here or not, but one of my recurrimg top three fantasies since I was a teenager was/is to be a "rock star." :P :cool: :headbanger: Well, that ain't gonna happen but I really admire (and am envious of) the relatively few women who have made it and are. (and I'm tangentially including you Rhia, because you've been in bands and to me that is like the coolest thing ever!!) Here are Sabina & Doro doing Too Drunk to Fuck :P :headbanger: *love this* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LH3QS-iBSw

Solstafir - the few videos I've watched are really cool - don't know how they made it on an "extreme metal cruise" because they seem anything but (I don't even know what to call them) - but I don't care - they strike me as quite unique which is what I'm always seeking. I really dig this song and video - Fjara. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGdSOhBx8E Haven't bought any recordings yet - anyone out there have any suggestions?

The bands that I DO know well, love, and/or I have at least seen before and have some familarity with are: BEHEMOTH (!!!), ENSLAVED (!!!), AT THE GATES (!!!), NAPALM DEATH (!!!), PARADISE LOST (!!!), MUNICPAL WASTE (!!!), Belphegor, Hypocrisy, Kampfar, Krisuin, Moonspell, Sanctuary, Sepultura, and Sodom.

So that leaves the following who I don't know and need to check out: Artillery, CoC, Hackneyed, Loudblast, Morgoth, Possessed, Sacred Reich, Six Feet Under, and Soilwork. Shit - that is a lot of bands - I better get on the stick - pronto!!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Laura wrote:So that leaves the following who I don't know and need to check out: Artillery, CoC, Hackneyed, Loudblast, Morgoth, Possessed, Sacred Reich, Six Feet Under, and Soilwork. Shit - that is a lot of bands - I better get on the stick - pronto!!

Skip Six Feet Under. You've been warned. :lol:

Artillery is the best thrash band on the planet to me (if you like thrash), Morgoth are old school death metal, and Loudblast is a mix of old school death metal and now death.thrash. Those 3 bands, along with At the Gates are the main draws for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:51 am

gnoff wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote: and i'll be all raging at the Soilwork sets even if everyone else claims to hate them now!

you ever seen Soilwork live?

I liked them fine on album, more then fine actually.

But every time I've seen them live the singing has been wrong, when he switch between growl and clear singing the clear parts have always always always just dissapeared, not sure if the singer can't actually make it live or if they constantly work with a shitty sound guy.
    I'll go check them out again, but if they for the first two songs loose the clear singing parst, I'll be off, have spent way to many times watching Soilwork with only half the singing coming through :(

Too bad, for after several shitty live experiences I don't find myself wanting to listen to their albums any longer, for whatever reason. I do have it in my ne play list and hear it every now and then.

I loved their first 2 cds, and the first time I saw them was awesome... but every cd after Chainheart Machine has been progressively worse and each time after the first time I saw them they've been terrible... last time I saw them I think their performance gave people AIDs
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:50 am

KevinP wrote:
    Laura wrote:So that leaves the following who I don't know and need to check out: Artillery, CoC, Hackneyed, Loudblast, Morgoth, Possessed, Sacred Reich, Six Feet Under, and Soilwork. Shit - that is a lot of bands - I better get on the stick - pronto!!

Artillery is the best thrash band on the planet to me (if you like thrash), Morgoth are old school death metal, and Loudblast is a mix of old school death metal and now death.thrash. Those 3 bands, along with At the Gates are the main draws for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Since you're a big fan of Artillery, Morgoth, & Loudblast - what album would you recommend that represents say "classic" Artillery? I've got a long work weekend ahead (haha - starting in about 10 minutes), so would like to listen to/buy something new. :cheers:
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 am

Laura wrote:
    So that leaves the following who I don't know and need to check out: Artillery, CoC, Hackneyed, Loudblast, Morgoth, Possessed, Sacred Reich, Six Feet Under, and Soilwork. Shit - that is a lot of bands - I better get on the stick - pronto!!

I love Artillery & Soilwork, well their earlier albums, like Still bath suicide & Natural born chaos. Morgoth is great as well, you will see me there, same fo CoC & Sacred Reich. Actually I will be so happy to see Sacred Reich live first time.
    During Hockneyed and Six Feet I will eat or drink or nap or whatever else :mrgreen:
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 pm

I'm ready for Ex Deo, Obituary, Cannibal and Dimmu to be announced now. Thanks! ;)
    I made the Devil do it.
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 am

Evil Red wrote:I'm ready for Ex Deo, Obituary, Cannibal and Dimmu to be announced now. Thanks! ;)

no noo EX DEO in a 70k 2013 :P you can keep the rest :whisky:
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14 am

Laura wrote:
    KevinP wrote:

Since you're a big fan of Artillery, Morgoth, & Loudblast - what album would you recommend that represents say "classic" Artillery? I've got a long work weekend ahead (haha - starting in about 10 minutes), so would like to listen to/buy something new. :cheers:

Sorry I know this question was posed to Kevin but I think you're going to love Artillery Laura! My favorite of their albums that I think you would really enjoy is "My Blood" :shred:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:17 pm

^^^ thanks Mal & Marlo for the suggestions. :cheers: Didn't expect Kev to answer since he's sadly not here much anymore, yet rather usually "out to lunch" on FB. :lol: (and being as hilarious as ever *there*...)
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm

For me, Soilwork died after Natural Born Chaos. They had a little life on Stabbing the Drama, but have been dead since. I will be at both sets just hoping for Chainheart and Predator's Portrait tracks. I give them massive credit for Natural Born Chaos as that is a landmark release since nobody has really ever done anything like that before. Far more interesting than their copy/paste At The Gates stuff. (even if my stubborness likes that more)
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 pm

rwalters wrote: I will be at both sets just hoping for Chainheart and Predator's Portrait tracks.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

and yes, i've seen them live twice, and they were not as good as I had hoped either time. being the RAGING optimist that i am, i will hope they do old stuff and actually play well!
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm

You good w/ Natural Born Chaos or are you too tru?

I've seen them live at least 3 times and they fucking rock :lol: What is this about them being bad live? I'd be interested in whom you feel are GREAT LIVE. Iron Maiden / Slayer / Lamb of God / GWAR / Mastodon? Agreed.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02 pm

rwalters wrote:You good w/ Natural Born Chaos or are you too tru?

haha i LIKE what i LIKE, not based on classification and if something is "metal". that being said, i am pretty hit and miss with that album. some tracks just don't do anything for me but others are pretty cool, like Follow the Hollow and Black Star Deceiver. It's better than Figure No Five!!! I do like Stabbing the Drama, Sworn to a Great Divide, and Panic Broadcast. I think the last 3 have gotten better and better. Anyway i would consider myself a big fan of the band!

Predator's Portrait is my favorite though. The guitar solo in Structure Divine is one of the best metal guitar solos I know of, it's perfect to my ears.

i am far from the only one who doesn't think Soilwork is that good live. In fact that's the biggest complaint of anyone I know who is into them. They have come across as sloppy and not dynamic.

So who's good live, Maiden, Overkill, Gojira, Devin Townsend, Cynic, Morbid Angel, Immolation. I have seen Slayer be pretty bad live....but they're always FUN, so i'll let their sloppiness ride.
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Yeah I did that Between the Buried and Me / Cynic / Devin Townsend gig and were all phenomenal. I love that BTBAM were giving Cynic and DT added exposure. I'm a Megadeth/Slayer die hard so they can no wrong for me. Seeing Slayer tomorrow at Rockstar Mayhem. Finally goign to show up late since High On Fire dropped the tour. Getting Anthrax / As I Lay Dying / Motorhead / Slayer straight so I'll be happy. Haven't seen Slipknot since they were on like Ozzfest 99 so that'll be interesting.

Regarding Soilwork:

My Album Rankings:
    Predator's Portrait
    NBC
    Chainheart Machine
    Stabbing the Drama
    Steelbath Suicide
    Figure Number Five
    Panic Broadcast
    Sworn To A Great Divide

Not into Sworn at all. No Wichers = No Soilwork for me :)
    doc
    Crewman

by doc » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:23 pm

WizardBeast wrote:I have seen Slayer be pretty bad live....but they're always FUN, so i'll let their sloppiness ride.

You misspelled something, as I've got no other explanation to the word "pretty" in your sentence :D - Slayer is ALWAYS ULTRA BRÜTAL TORTURE KILLING LIVE :shred:
    (one does not simply question Slayer. Never. Ever.) :headbanger:
    Wishlist BTH2014: Aeon, Beneath the Massacre, Black Dahlia Murder, Bloodbath, Bolt Thrower, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Codeon, Death To All, Decapitated, Deicide, Gorod, Hour of Penance, Morbid Angel, Nile, Oral Fistfuck, Slayer, Suicidal Angels, Vader
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 pm

I would do anything Tom Araya would tell me to do without question. He has that kind of power over me. Motherfucker TAUGHT ME how to headbang.

If Kerry King tells the press your band sucks or that you suck, I instantly agree with him.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm

rwalters wrote:I would do anything Tom Araya would tell me to do without question. He has that kind of power over me. Motherfucker TAUGHT ME how to headbang.

If Kerry King tells the press your band sucks or that you suck, I instantly agree with him.

haha, i know way too much about Kerry King to do that...
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 pm

I may have mentioned this before... and I may be sticking my head into the shark tank with this one... but as far as Slayer is concerned: I just don't get it. I don't see the appeal. I consider myself pretty open-minded when it comes to checking out bands.. and I had certainly given slayer a chance (Bought a few albums, learned to play a few songs), but all of that was dashed away when I saw them live. Sloppy, muddy, and with a collective sour attitude on stage to boot. Yet these guys are worshipped. Someone explain what about them makes you guys get wet'n'giggly. I'm not being condescending, I'm legitimately curious because maybe I am just missing something.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Post Reply 2615 posts