Post Reply 2615 posts
The BARGE TO HELL 2012 Megathread
  • aussiestu
    Crewman

Re: HYPOCRISY Will Not Be Joining Us

by aussiestu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:11 am

Hypocrisy scheduled to tour Australia next month, but given they have decided to go with the same dodgey promoter that screwed Warbringer then expect its not the last time i,ll be hearing about them in the next few weeks! :?
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:27 am

aussiestu wrote:Hypocrisy scheduled to tour Australia next month, but given they have decided to go with the same dodgey promoter that screwed Warbringer then expect its not the last time i,ll be hearing about them in the next few weeks! :?

what happened with Warbringer?
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

Re: Booking For BARGE TO HELL 2012 Is Now Closed!

by KDibildeaux » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 pm

KevinP wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:And I will totally check out a Brujeria set, for shits and giggles AHI TE VA EL CUERNO DE CHIVO!!!! :lol:

I had you pegged for HALF a set

Well one set is half of what they're playing so that fits :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm sad about about Hypocrisy canceling :cry:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:58 am

Running order is up:

http://bargetohell.com/running_order.htm

Exodus first to play, and BEHEMOTH and AT THE GATES are the headliners getting 75 minute sets.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Don't Miss The Barge!

by Andy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 am

Are you ready for The World's Most Extreme Metal Cruise? Boarding for BARGE TO HELL will start today at 12.00PM noon. Make sure you arrive at the pier no later then 03.00PM! Don't miss the barge!
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Don't Miss The Barge!

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 am

Hope its all "smooth sailing" from here on in skippy.

All the best to all on broad and hopefully I'll see some of you on 70000 Tons next month :shred:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 am

Pool Concerts start at 10 PM - maybe the Stage is made up at that time. :death:
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - yes

www.lalasreisen.de
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:41 am

The running order for today looks very nice for me. Tomorrow is OK as well, but a lot of nasty overlaps on the last two days.
    Last edited by Tuup on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 am

cowboy71 wrote:Hope its all "smooth sailing" from here on in skippy.

All the best to all on broad and hopefully I'll see some of you on 70000 Tons next month :shred:

I second that, have fun everyone and I'll see you in 8 weeks. :D
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 am

By the way: Monstrosity till 4.30 and Artillery at 10AM with some karaoke and breakfast in between.... That's gonna be tough right from the start :-P
  • aussiestu
    Crewman

by aussiestu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    aussiestu wrote:Hypocrisy scheduled to tour Australia next month, but given they have decided to go with the same dodgey promoter that screwed Warbringer then expect its not the last time i,ll be hearing about them in the next few weeks! :?

what happened with Warbringer?

Promoter apparently skipped town whilst they were on stage during their final show still owing them money! He then claimed that they stole his money but its not half obvious that why would he bail if that was the case! It got quite nasty the next day as Warbringer themselves blasted this guy on their FB page, even posting all his personal details ( where he lived, phone numbers, nothing was spared!) & practically inviting fans to go over & lynch him!! :shock: After a day or so though the band deleted the relevant postings & only mentioned how they enjoyed Australia & hope to come back some time! The promoter reckoned he had paid the band fairly & apologised for any misunderstandings! So whether the issue ended up getting sorted i,ve got no idea!! Hopefully it did!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 am

Yay! Barge day! Pretty happy with the running order as I have very few conflicts.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 am

mooyagi wrote:Yay! Barge day! Pretty happy with the running order as I have very few conflicts.

yuppers i think my only major conflict is that i cannot go to 1 of the meet and greets but other than that after a quick glance i see no major conflicts :deathmetal:
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

Have fun, my metal brothers!

I look forward to seeing pictures and videos and some of you again in eight weeks.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Have fun!!
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm

enjoy!
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 pm

2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - yes

www.lalasreisen.de
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Interesting snippets of info coming through from people on Facebook.

Rhia posted that the ship is rather empty. Bill stated that its only about 50% capacity.

And Bill also stated that Andy doesn't want people to start expecting cabin upgrades everytime which is why none were offered. Trying to set a precedent from a business standpoint.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:16 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Interesting snippets of info coming through from people on Facebook.

Rhia posted that the ship is rather empty. Bill stated that its only about 50% capacity.

And Bill also stated that Andy doesn't want people to start expecting cabin upgrades everytime which is why none were offered. Trying to set a precedent from a business standpoint.

I was informed by a steff member that it was only just over half sold out.
    And the other is just business sense
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I saw that message from Rhia, I'd love that, a half empty ship. Looking forward to their return and reading the reports and seeing photos and video footage.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Still think more could have been done to fill the Barge.

Offer up cabins as competition prizes
    special discounts (and compensate early bookers with things like bar credit, merch discount, etc so they don't feel too aggrieved)
    etc
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 pm

They tried the discount thing via quite a few European metal magazines (like the Finnish mag Inferno). I'm pretty sure Tuup took an offer like that, an ocean view cabin for half the prize. Might be that there weren't too many half-priced cabins sold, so they didn't go with the discounts in the U.S., Canada or Australia.

The problem with giving away tickets as competition prizes is that those too might be away from the actual sales: the winner might not want to or be able to go and would try and sell the cabin for almost any price, or they might've booked already but waited for the competition to end and see if they struck gold.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • aussiestu
    Crewman

by aussiestu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:07 am

Just thought i,d post something to bump the thread back up above all that spam shit!! :D
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 am

Still think more could have been done to fill the Barge.

Yea...announce the bands in a timely manner.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 am

meshuggah wrote:Still think more could have been done to fill the Barge.

Yea...announce the bands in a timely manner.

Agreed! Although I don't think that would have filled it. As it has been said before, perhaps a bigger part of the problem was/is the December dates NOT being ideal for a lot of people (including myself), as well as extreme metal being too narrow a market. That is my hunch anyway...what say you other forum folk??
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:20 am

Laura wrote:what say you other forum folk??

The German Forum Folk say that you don't get Customers if you do nothing. Announcing a Cruise isn't enough, you have to do something - more than hanging a Poster on a Fence in Wacken. I don't know where Andy learned his Business - maybe it's SwissCheesy just to lie in a Sunbed and wait for the Manna fall from Heaven.....
    Anyway, i seems like he still has a breakeven with 50% occupancy.
    I remember one of his many interviews when he said that there will be a third or fourth Cruise - and only has enough Customers for filling up One Ship....
    But i don't care as long as i'll be in Miami in Image

www.lalasreisen.de
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:22 am

Laura wrote: December dates NOT being ideal for a lot of people (including myself), as well as extreme metal being too narrow a market.

This. Vacation time is much harder to take off at the end of the year. It's easy in January because everyone still has a ton of days they can take off (I'm talking about people on salary who have ~3 weeks paid vacation/year).

As for the narrow market thing... well, the squeaky wheel gets the grease apparently. There was so much complaining about the 'lack of' extreme metal on 70K... I mean, everyone likes to bash power and folk metal a lot, but it evidently sells cabins!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for posting this! I got to see it dedock and followed the satellite imaging as it left the port--very cool!
    I could just imagine the chant ringing out as they passed the Celebrity Reflection.....

I also did a check to see if the Majesty had and onboard cams to view--but sadly no, man, I 'd never get any work done if I spent the whole day watching the Pool Deck fun!

:boobs:
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am

viathyn wrote:This. Vacation time is much harder to take off at the end of the year. It's easy in January because everyone still has a ton of days they can take off (I'm talking about people on salary who have ~3 weeks paid vacation/year).
    As for the narrow market thing... well, the squeaky wheel gets the grease apparently. There was so much complaining about the 'lack of' extreme metal on 70K... I mean, everyone likes to bash power and folk metal a lot, but it evidently sells cabins!

This. God I am soo glad we didnt book barge. Hypocrisy not making it would have caused me to go into an absolute rage on the boat. Im sure gnoff is doing that now for everyone though :lol:

Also, I dont remember the chorus line sets starting soo late on 70k?
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, I don't think the lack of announcements was such an issue, since most of the big bands (except Exodus) were announced pretty early.

My guess is that many of us who could afford (either because of time or money restrictions) just one cruise chose 70K. Not because we don't like extreme metal, but because we also like other genres*. So BTH might be aimed not to Extreme Metal fans, but rather to Exclusively-Extreme Metal fans. So, yeah, a very small market indeed.

*Yes, I know 70K 2013 is lacking in the Extreme Metal department, but I don't think that'll continue to be the case for long.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am

Extreme metal isn't as popular as people perceive and thats the start of the problem.It's more often a case that it's heavy metal fans who like some extreme bands.Kinda the reason most festivals will have a more prodominently heavy.power,folk lineup.

As far as i can tell it's looking like there's a much lower % of Europeans on this Barge.
    The more extreme fans in Europe wouldn't have the money for this to be honest.There's fucking tonnes of underground extreme festivals over here and several big ones too.The tickets to the festivals cost literally fuck all as does a ticket to see any of these bands play at a local gig.
    If Barge was to fully sell out it would have had to make a significant drop in prices on cabin from this from the start to compete with those factors.It didn't and thats why it's only half sold out.

It wasn't the promotion that was the preoblem.It's just that there wasn't really the interest there in the first place to see those bands for that price.
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Extreme metal isn't as popular as people perceive and thats the start of the problem.It's more often a case that it's heavy metal fans who like some extreme bands.Kinda the reason most festivals will have a more prodominently heavy.power,folk lineup.

As far as i can tell it's looking like there's a much lower % of Europeans on this Barge.
    The more extreme fans in Europe wouldn't have the money for this to be honest.There's fucking tonnes of underground extreme festivals over here and several big ones too.The tickets to the festivals cost literally fuck all as does a ticket to see any of these bands play at a local gig.
    If Barge was to fully sell out it would have had to make a significant drop in prices on cabin from this from the start to compete with those factors.It didn't and thats why it's only half sold out.

It wasn't the promotion that was the preoblem.It's just that there wasn't really the interest there in the first place to see those bands for that price.

I guess you're right pete,here Finland are in for at least four (extreme metal festival) :whisky:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 pm

viathyn wrote:
    Laura wrote: December dates NOT being ideal for a lot of people (including myself), as well as extreme metal being too narrow a market.

This. Vacation time is much harder to take off at the end of the year. It's easy in January because everyone still has a ton of days they can take off (I'm talking about people on salary who have ~3 weeks paid vacation/year).

THIS. I've been saying that for the past two years :p Extreme fans bitch and complain when folk/power gets announced. Hell, extreme fans still find something to complain about when extreme bands get announced :lol:

They are a vocal MINORITY, whereas I think its fair to say that folk/power fans are more of a silent MAJORITY. We don't complain ad nauseum when extreme bands get announced, and our joy gets curtailed/shouted down by the extreme fans when bands we like get announced :roll:

Anyway, Andy for whatever reason decided to grease this squeaky wheel and now he is paying the price. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that a cruise centred around power/folk/prog would have sold far more tickets than BTH.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm

I can only speak for myself, but for me the Barge lineup is way too broad in a way. The assumption that if someone is into, say, death metal makes them like black metal or anything is wrong. I've said it countless times before that I don't like thrash. Not that much into black either. So for me the lineup isn't that much better than 70k's - and with the dates in January being better for me, it was an easy choice.
    And that is what would happen with a lighter metal cruise too - folk metal enthusiasts wouldn't want power metal, power metallers wouldn't want girlie bands etc etc. Seeing how big folk metal is in the Americas atm, a folk metal cruise might be something of a success. But I fear that majority of folk metal fans are young people, so the target audience might not have the money to go.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Who didn't predict that half-empty would be the outcome of Barge? My neighbor's cat could have told Andy this.

Like most of us said when it was announced. I hope these poor ticket sales don't interfer with 70000 Tons. I don't want 10-12 garage bands out of the last 15 (17).
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:27 pm

Lala wrote:
    Laura wrote:what say you other forum folk??

The German Forum Folk say that you don't get Customers if you do nothing. Announcing a Cruise isn't enough, you have to do something - more than hanging a Poster on a Fence in Wacken. I don't know where Andy learned his Business - maybe it's SwissCheesy just to lie in a Sunbed and wait for the Manna fall from Heaven.....
    Anyway, i seems like he still has a breakeven with 50% occupancy.
    I remember one of his many interviews when he said that there will be a third or fourth Cruise - and only has enough Customers for filling up One Ship....
    But i don't care as long as i'll be in Miami in Image

UMC treat both cruises the same though, but you go on 70k and not Barge, so I don't think them not doing anything is a factor. I agree with like most people say here that an extreme metal cruise just is too small a market. But I think the time of year and lack of announcements and so on probably doesn't help much either. Also a large portion of the customer base for 70k are Europeans and most probably couldn't afford to fly to the U.S. twice in 2 months for both cruises, or have the vacation time available.

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm

cowboy71 wrote: I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that a cruise centred around power/folk/prog would have sold far more tickets than BTH.

Agreed.

2019 Wishlist:
    Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Its list time!

Reasons why Barge is only half full:
    - Extreme metal fans are a vocal minority
    - People don't have vacation time left in December (half the reason for me)
    - People chose the more diverse lineup of 70k over barge
    - Extreme metal fans in Europe don't have the money
    - There are plenty of cheap extreme metal festivals in Europe
    - UMC doesn't market well

... anything else?
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    Tobbe
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tobbe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:Its list time!

Reasons why Barge is only half full:
    - Extreme metal fans are a vocal minority
    - People don't have vacation time left in December (half the reason for me)
    - People chose the more diverse lineup of 70k over barge
    - Extreme metal fans in Europe don't have the money
    - There are plenty of cheap extreme metal festivals in Europe
    - UMC doesn't market well

... anything else?

Yes. The chicks are better looking at 70000 Tons.
  • Post Reply 2615 posts