Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1
How was the Candlemass performance?
    Bewitched
    Oiler

How was the Candlemass performance?

by Bewitched » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:52 am

Just curious to know what think the people who actually visited this amazing gig and heard Candlemass with Robert Lowe as a singer. Thoughts of diehard Candlemass fans are appreciated too as I am one of them too :). I was really surprised that Candlemass changed their singer after the release of their last album "Psalms for the Dead". Was Robert's live performing really that bad so they had to dismiss him?
    http://www.narrowhouse.net/ - an official web site of Ambient Funeral Doom band from Ukraine
    Bewitched
    Oiler

Re: How was the Candlemass performance?

by Bewitched » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 am

Well, I think that Johan Längquist is one of the best Candlemass singers they have ever had. Messiah was a good replacement for him, and Robert was a good replacement for Messiah. But hey, most people would still like to hear classics from Candlemass by the original singers who performed them first. So I guess they kinda messed up fans brains a bit with these guest appearances :).
    http://www.narrowhouse.net/ - an official web site of Ambient Funeral Doom band from Ukraine
    Bewitched
    Oiler

by Bewitched » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:54 am

Of course, he didn't, but they invited him to sing those EDM songs pretty much often recently (to celebrate their anniversary etc.). Messiah was really great too, no doubts, his voice is powerful and beautiful, but kinda lacks flexibility that Johan had shown. His last album with the band shows that pretty much clear imho.

That would be interesting to listen to live recordings with Mats to see the full picture.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:11 am

I only saw the pool deck set and liked it, though I'd never heard them before, so I had no biases
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm one of the biggest Cmass fans out there, in fact I help write a fanzine called "The Candlemass Chronicles" and I know some of the guys in the band. I've seen Robert with the band a few times before the cruise and their set on the deck was certainly not his worst. He forgot some lyrics, came in at the wrong time during "Dark are the Veils of Death" and his stage presence was his usual, which means it wasn't the greatest. I can say that I wasn't very surprised when he was sacked, I saw it coming. When I saw them performing with Johan in the theater it made me realise how much better they can play when they have a singer up front who is confident and knows the songs. Robert is a super nice guy and I wish him the best.
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 pm

gnoff wrote:On 70k I watched both sets, the first with Rob and the second with Johan

I wouldn't say Rob performed badly, on the other hand it was not really inspired either. Sure it was late and not a huge crowd on the pool deck, but still.
    The second set with Johan was magical though, both the singing and the performance of the band, it was a LOT better than the first set.

70k was the first time I had the chance to see Candlemass so I loved both sets. Rob just kind of comes across as one of those boring live frontmen and I kind of expected that, but Johan's set was just amazing. Id love to see them with Mats too since he was the vocalist of my favorite Therion album as well haha.
    Bewitched
    Oiler

by Bewitched » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:12 am

I just hope they have parted their ways without shouting and hating each other :).
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 am

Sinister Realm wrote:I'm one of the biggest Cmass fans out there, in fact I help write a fanzine called "The Candlemass Chronicles" and I know some of the guys in the band. I've seen Robert with the band a few times before the cruise and their set on the deck was certainly not his worst. He forgot some lyrics, came in at the wrong time during "Dark are the Veils of Death" and his stage presence was his usual, which means it wasn't the greatest. I can say that I wasn't very surprised when he was sacked, I saw it coming. When I saw them performing with Johan in the theater it made me realise how much better they can play when they have a singer up front who is confident and knows the songs. Robert is a super nice guy and I wish him the best.

Agreed. The second set was one of the best gigs ever, by any band. I was secretly hoping for them to replace Rob with Johan even before they sacked Rob because Johan was, if possible, even better live than he was on album - 25 years ago. And yes, the band seemed to enjoy themselves on that set too.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 am

KDibildeaux wrote:I only saw the pool deck set and liked it, though I'd never heard them before, so I had no biases

This exactly. Actually I really enjoyed their pool deck, I skipped the theater set because of the smoke.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    angelyuyo
    Petty Officer

by angelyuyo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Well....pool deck set was awesome!rob did just fine!
    Johan set was boring,To me marcolin is the classic
    Front man To candlemass by far.its my hummble
    Opinion :chug:
    2011DONE
    2012 DONE
    BARGE TO HELL DONE
    2013 DONE
    2014 DONE
    2015 DONE
    2016 BEST LINEUP EVER DONE
    2017 DONE
    2018DONE
    2019 Done
    2020 I need my booking code
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm

I thought they were fine. I had no gripes with either vocalist, although Johan definitely seemed to have more fun than Rob.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

I thought it was really boring, I left halfway through the pooldeck set. The time didn't help though.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 am

alex_canada wrote:I thought it was really boring, I left halfway through the pooldeck set. The time didn't help though.

Yeah, it was like 3 in the morning, that killed it for a lot of people. Doom metal is hard to listen to when you're so exhausted you could fall asleep at any moment :lol:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am

Rob sounded killer, but he's boring and apparently he's been reading lyrics sheets on the old Candlemass songs since he joined the band over five years ago, so that's something to worry about. The Johan set was one of the best gigs I've seen in my life, and even edged out both the Riot sets last year, totally killer in every way.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am

Robert has a killer voice he just could never seem to fit in and feel comfortable on stage with Candlemass.
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm

I missed the pool deck set, as I just could not stay awake.
    I made the theater set, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Emperor-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Candlemass-/-DarkTranquillity-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Boths shows where great I am a huge Candlemass Fan so you have to take it from that point the view.Their Meet and Great was fantasic also ,it wasn't that crowded and I got to speak with them for quite awhile.Also love Evergrey so seeing Marcus there (ever if he is new ) was cool also,I went to Progpower USA 2011 but couldn't go early to see Evergrey.Seeing the entire "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" at that time of night in a slowing swaying ship was surreal and a great end to the cruise.BTW I hope we get Krux for 70k!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1