Post Reply 4708 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2014 Megathread
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

Re: Dark, cold, evil, black... in the sunny Caribbean?

by alex_canada » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm

This is by far the heaviest 70k so far
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    nick
    Oiler

by nick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm

This is great. Made my day.
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:47 pm

mooyagi wrote:That's a highly requested band I think. Not for me but will check them out still.

+1 .. not of my favs but not bad at all .. I wish I'd have more time to listen at their albums
    Frozen Crown-Therion-Iced Earth-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Powerwolf-Nanowar of Steel-Alestorm-Wintersun-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-Kalmah-Skeletonwitch-Mago de Oz-LuciferianLightOrchestra-Scepticflesh
  • Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm looking forward to this :bmhorns: :beerhorns: Not really a favorite of mine, but I'll gladly catch a set.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Everybody has a band or two that makes the cruise 100 percent better and this is it for me ,I never dump on any other band because all shoes don't fit all feet but I feel some much better between The Haunted and Satyricon this week.You can announce twenty something more weenie bands and I wouldn't care now.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

alex_canada wrote:This is by far the heaviest 70k so far

yes, is a Barge with another name.. I don't like that, they said the variety was gonna be the same and at the moment is not by far :evil:
    Frozen Crown-Therion-Iced Earth-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Powerwolf-Nanowar of Steel-Alestorm-Wintersun-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-Kalmah-Skeletonwitch-Mago de Oz-LuciferianLightOrchestra-Scepticflesh
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:03 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Everybody has a band or two that makes the cruise 100 percent better and this is it for me ,I never dump on any other band because all shoes don't fit all feet but I feel some much better between The Haunted and Satyricon this week.You can announce twenty something more weenie bands and I wouldn't care now.

Thanks, I said the same on 2012 when the lineup was already awesome for me from the begining, remember me to share a beer with you on board dude :bangers:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Still another 25 bands to go.

I'm certain there will be a few more weenie bands before we are done.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:33 pm

YAY! Frost is a BEAST!!!! :bmhorns:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 pm

This just might be the best cruise so far!!!
    Even Better than barge and that will be hard to do
    The line up could not be better but we will find out Soon :mrgreen: :smoking:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Captain Alex wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:Everybody has a band or two that makes the cruise 100 percent better and this is it for me ,I never dump on any other band because all shoes don't fit all feet but I feel some much better between The Haunted and Satyricon this week.You can announce twenty something more weenie bands and I wouldn't care now.

Thanks, I said the same on 2012 when the lineup was already awesome for me from the begining, remember me to share a beer with you on board dude :bangers:
    So far at the 16 band announcements mark this is a great cruise and I will have the same problems as I did earlier cruises .Two good bands playing at the same time ,if there where 40 bands I liked I have to miss half of them.Unless you have a real narrow range of heavy metal you like ,you always find something to check out on the boat.I definitely have to meet some people on this forum ,the waiting this year has been a bonding experience ,along with trying to keep people's spirits high.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Azazel101 wrote:This just might be the best cruise so far!!!
    Even Better than barge and that will be hard to do
    The line up could not be better but we will find out Soon :mrgreen: :smoking:

Surprisingly, this is currently outranking previous cruises for me too.

As an FYI - first 16 bands for each of the 70Ks (removing the bands that cancelled)

2011 - Amon Amarth, Sodom, Sonata Arctica, Trouble, Witchburner, Uli Jon Roth, Epica, Finntroll, Raven, Saxon, Moonspell, Obituary, Swashbuckle, Death Angel, Testament, Forbidden

2012 - Eluveitie, Grave Digger, My Dying Bride, Pestilence, Stratovarius, Therion, In Extremo, Amorphis, Moonsorrow, Coroner, Samael, Nightwish, Dark Funeral, Hammerfall, God Dethroned, Tankard

2013 - Anacrusis, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Doro, Helstar, Immolation, In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Nile, Sabaton, Subway to Sally, Turisas, Ensiferum, Dragonforce, Rage/LMO, Flotsam & Jetsam, Helloween

2014 - Overkill, Death Angel, Symphony X, DRI, Fear Factory, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, The Haunted, Finntroll, Swallow The Sun, Xandria, Cripper, Septicflesh, Leaves' Eyes, Satyricon, Carcass
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Fantastic!
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Satyricon!!
    Yexcellent!!!

Awesome news!

:boobs:

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Glad to see a heavy hitter announced, even though its one I've seen quite enough of. Hopefully they play lots of material from their first five albums for at least one set.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    jurjenmetal
    Oiler

by jurjenmetal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 pm

great announcement :death: :death:
    2014 cabin 2026
    2016 cabin 7300
    2019 cabin 9401
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 am

I'm not familiar with Satyricon, but I'm liking what I hear so far.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 am

It's not a repeat! :D
    Well, ok, I'll probably catch their pool deck set, but not a special band for me in any way. But, yes, at least they're not a repeat.

Captain Alex wrote:

yes, is a Barge with another name.. I don't like that, they said the variety was gonna be the same and at the moment is not by far :evil:

Well, honestly, we don't have any death metal either. So, bring a couple of power metal bands and a couple of old school death metal bands to balance the lineup!
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Surt
    Crewman

by Surt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:34 am

TOM CRUISE wrote::beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: Thank you thank you ~~

Please contact Ted aka Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone and see if he wants to repeat that EPIC special set at Wacken 2004. He was backed by Satyricon and they played Darkthrone songs (after Satyricon's set) What a night that was.

I was at that show, too. It was awesome. My first thought after the Satyricon announcement was: Great, I hope they will play Mother North. The second thought was: what about bringing Nocturno Culto with them and playing a Darkthrone show again.
    :bmhorns:
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:39 am

YYYIIIIHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Finally some Black!!!!! :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns:
    www.metal-exposure.com
    MLH
    Crewman

by MLH » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 am

I'll check Mother North and then go slit my wrists wearing penguin make-up.

Not my fav. BM band by far but maybe I'll check quarter set or something.

The real question is: "WHERE THE FUCK IS ALL HEAVY METAL???"

Book Warlord or Virgin Steele and I'm happy with bands.
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 am

Wow! another announcement already! I'm shocked!!

Another band I've never seen, will be catching at least one set. More Black Metal!! :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:17 am

Captain Alex wrote:

This is a HEAVY metal cruise not light metal. I believe there is a cruise for that, called Progressive Nation :?
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:18 am

Captain Alex wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:That's a highly requested band I think. Not for me but will check them out still.

+1 .. not of my favs but not bad at all .. I wish I'd have more time to listen at their albums

+2
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Ripley
    Crewman

by Ripley » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:29 am

This is so fucking great, I can't believe it. I was hoping for Satyricon. :beerhorns:
    Yes Sir, UMC thank you and now reveal some more "softer" bands or the ones who are already comlaining. ;)

Cheers everybody :bangers:
    I space no one can hear you scream

Wishlist for 70000 tons 2014: Dark Fortress, Satyricon, Marduk, Dimmu Borgir, Cripper, God Seed, Skeletonwitch, Necrophobic, Belphegor, Skalmöld, Endstille, Cannibal Corpse, Cattle Decapitation, King Diamond
    mgrock
    Petty Officer

by mgrock » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Ripley wrote:This is so fucking great, I can't believe it. I was hoping for Satyricon. :beerhorns:
    Yes Sir, UMC thank you and now reveal some more "softer" bands or the ones who are already comlaining. ;)

Cheers everybody :bangers:

:shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:
    No one asks for softer bands. Andy go on, give us the ultimate baaaaang. :deathmetal:
    2012 survivor in 4010
    2013 survivor in 4010
    2014 survivor in 4010
    2015 survivor in 9242
    2016 survivor in 9242
    2017 survivor in 9242
    2018 booked in 7252
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Surt wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote::beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: Thank you thank you ~~

Please contact Ted aka Nocturno Culto of Darkthrone and see if he wants to repeat that EPIC special set at Wacken 2004. He was backed by Satyricon and they played Darkthrone songs (after Satyricon's set) What a night that was.

I was at that show, too. It was awesome. My first thought after the Satyricon announcement was: Great, I hope they will play Mother North. The second thought was: what about bringing Nocturno Culto with them and playing a Darkthrone show again.
    :bmhorns:

Yes ! I was thrilled that they did it. Dio played that year too and it was AWESOME
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:17 am

I have just listened to Satyricon for the first time... verdict? Thumbs up! :viking:
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 am

STACH100 wrote:I have just listened to Satyricon for the first time... verdict? Thumbs up! :viking:

Glad to hear you dig them, Stach! They are in my top 25 favorite bands (including all genres) and definitely one of my top favorite black metal bands. Fantastic discography, great live shows, and very cool guys. I saw them twice in Chicago in 2009 (opened for Cradle of Filth in January at House of Blues, and then they did a headline gig in October at the Double Door - with support from the also awesome Chthonic). In 2011, I saw them as one of the top four headliners (with Immortal, Mayhem, & Enslaved) at the Hole in the Sky Fest in Bergen, Norway. Drummer Frost is considered one of best in the business and I've seen him two additional times with his other black metal band 1349 in 2010 - at Wacken in August and in Chicago in October with Triptykon (AWESOME!!!). I've watched countless videos & interviews with them, and I had the pleasure of meeting drummer Frost twice and singer/primary songwriter Satyr once - very, cool guys.

Many people seem to prefer their earlier albums - but I'm actually partial to their latest 4 (of 8) albums including the latest 2013 simply titled Satyricon which is outstanding.

I'm not going on 70K 2014, but I'm not bummed in the slightest about missing them on the boat as I plan to be front and center (haha - for the fourth time) when they hit Chicago (no doubt) sometime in 2014.

In summary, Satyricon are nothing short of legendary as far as black metal goes. And best of all, they are heavy as fuck (in the best possible way).
    :bmhorns: :beerhorns: :metalguy: :beerhorns: :bmhorns: :metalguy:

Fave Satyricon song (and fantastic video): Fuel for Hatred http://youtu.be/pRK3jjeF2zI
    Last edited by Laura on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:14 am

onenight wrote:
    This is a HEAVY metal cruise not light metal. I believe there is a cruise for that, called Progressive Nation :?

Not overly concerned with it as I think Andy will have an even roster by the end. Just commenting that it's certainly a change from other years, especially 2013.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm

onenight wrote:
    Captain Alex wrote:

No offense, but I gotta differ with you on this comment Stan. First of all, the majority of the Prog Nation bands (at least more than half) are more firmly in the "Progressive Rock" camp and therefore to call them "light metal" really doesn't make any sense since that genre to me is a fairly different animal to most things "metal."** And for those bands on that cruise who are more associated with the progressive metal genre (Devin Townsend, Pain of Salvation, Animals As Leaders, Haken, The Safety Fire & a few others), I wouldn't call them light, so to speak, as an overall term. Yes, some of these bands have songs that have a very mellow, melodic, & beautiful quality to them (complete with beautiful clean vocals) - for example - as I've been working through Devin Townsend's huge discography, I have been surprised at how many of his songs are like that. But to throw these Prog Nation bands into some "light metal" category or worse yet, the often tossed around term here "weenie metal" :lol: (I think usually reserved for power, folk, symphonic, and other bands which are considered "non-brutal" if you will) - just doesn't fit. And for the most part, I suspect that many of the weenie lovers here (lol - weenie lovers - like this term :lol: ) wouldn't care for or even be familiar with the majority of the Prog Nation line-up. They are just different things.

** As I've said before, I've been a prog rock/rock fan since I was a very young girl (which is why the Prog Nation cruise was a must do for me), and I really didn't consider myself a "metal" fan at all until I got into bands like Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Enslaved, and countless other bands since 2005.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Laura that was my first listen. I liked what I heard, but I need listen to more albums.
    Still they are a band I will be interested in seeing.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:28 pm

STACH100 wrote:Laura that was my first listen. I liked what I heard, but I need listen to more albums.
    Still they are a band I will be interested in seeing.

Ah, yes - and I guess it depends on what you listened to since there is fair amount of diversity over the course of their discography of eight studio albums (and as I said on the previous page post re: Satyricon, I'm partial to the most recent four).
    1994 Dark Medieval Times
    1994 The Shadowthrone
    1996 Nemesis Divina
    1999 Rebel Extravaganza
    2002 Volcano
    2006 Now, Diabolical
    2008 The Age of Nero
    2013 Satyricon

:beerhorns:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:30 pm

So the last four band announcements (Carcass, The Haunted, Cripper, Satyricon) have been (US times) Friday, Friday, Wednesday and Friday.

See you in three days time for the next announcement :p
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

alex_canada wrote:
    onenight wrote:

Not overly concerned with it as I think Andy will have an even roster by the end. Just commenting that it's certainly a change from other years, especially 2013.

I know, I was just blowing you shit :D I like all types of metal, or music for that matter. I'm a huge Anathema fan but I'm also a huge Cannibal Corpse fan, I like both extremes. If the music's good that's all I care about. :3drunks:
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 am

alex_canada wrote:Not my taste at all. Won't bitch though. Just hoping for some good weenie metal soon.

Same. On the other hand, my girlfriend is already cursing Andy for booking so many great bands she will have to see at least once :D
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:12 am

Pretty good announcement. I've known about them for a long time, but never really listened to them before going to their gig in Trondheim two months ago. Their latest album is quite good. I'm not a big black metal fan, but it's a genre that's growing on me, at least some bands. At least it's not yet another melodeath band.

Also, +1 for a Norwegian band after the total lack this year. Image
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:50 am

Speedy wrote:Also, +1 for a Norwegian band after the total lack this year. Image

I made a list of my guesses for announcements and this was my first hit, very happy to see them again. One of the few black metal bands I like,very well made!

I don't mind more Norwegian bands :) Koldbrann is another Norwegian band that's also in my guess list :)
  • torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

I officially don't give a *bleep* about the rest of the announcements. :smoking:
    Andy already made my ship schedule difficult as is.
    Thank you Skipper! :headbanger: :beerbang: :headbanger:

Now, how does one find the time to sleep? By making weenie band announcements, that's how! :lol:

Andy,
    I'd love me some fresh smell of Cripper thrash in the morning!

(a.k.a. Pool Deck 10AM show on Tuesday)
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:41 am

At that time I don't know if like Satyricon or not so. The last album seems not to be very black metal. We will see. Black metal is not my taste.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
Post Reply 4708 posts