Post Reply 4744 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2014 Megathread
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

Re: VICTORY At Sea!

by meshuggah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 am

meshuggah wrote: When a new band is announced, wife's 1st question is "is this a band with a growler"? If I say yes, I get :cry: , although she's starting to understand that the "growler" is another musical instrument rather than a traditional "lead singer". More suggestions on how to explain this would be welcome :cheers:

Well as long as they're happy.

For growling, I always say it's just a different vocal style. It takes getting used to for most people, kinda like a heavy accent. At first it's just gibberish but then you start to understand the different articulations in the words. Also it sometimes makes it easier to get into once you understand how difficult it is to actually sing death metal for 2 hours straight. It's not just mindless screaming, a lot of preparation goes into it.[/quote]

Yep...just like opera singers the same basics of Support, Breath and Placement are applied. If you growl completely in your throat with a raised larynx, you will last about 3 minutes. It's interesting how proper vocal technique spans the gamut across all types of vocal music!
    dinki
    Petty Officer

by dinki » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 am

A another announcement tody? alestorm? Dragonforce?
    Emperor-Mayhem-Midnight-Night Demon-Savage Master
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:52 am

dinki wrote:A another announcement tody? alestorm? Dragonforce?

No Dragonforce, they were on last year. A double announcement of Alestorm/Gloryhammer would be interesting though!
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll weigh in on the growling...

For growling, I always say it's just a different vocal style. It takes getting used to for most people, kinda like a heavy accent. At first it's just gibberish but then you start to understand the different articulations in the words. Also it sometimes makes it easier to get into once you understand how difficult it is to actually sing death metal for 2 hours straight. It's not just mindless screaming, a lot of preparation goes into it.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 pm

alex_canada wrote:I'll weigh in on the growling...

For growling, I always say it's just a different vocal style. It takes getting used to for most people, kinda like a heavy accent. At first it's just gibberish but then you start to understand the different articulations in the words. Also it sometimes makes it easier to get into once you understand how difficult it is to actually sing death metal for 2 hours straight. It's not just mindless screaming, a lot of preparation goes into it.

I agree
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:54 pm

meshuggah wrote:When a new band is announced, wife's 1st question is "is this a band with a growler"? If I say yes, I get :cry: , although she's starting to understand that the "growler" is another musical instrument rather than a traditional "lead singer". More suggestions on how to explain this would be welcome :cheers:

alex_canada wrote:I'll weigh in on the growling...

meshuggah wrote:Yep...just like opera singers the same basics of Support, Breath and Placement are applied. If you growl completely in your throat with a raised larynx, you will last about 3 minutes. It's interesting how proper vocal technique spans the gamut across all types of vocal music!

Good & interesting points. I personally LOVE growls and many other "unusual" vocal styles (as well as all kinds of "traditional singing," of course). Regarding people who don't care for growls from the get-go, I'm not sure if any amount of "explaining it" is going to make a huge difference (in the person liking it or not) - but worth a try at least, I guess. :P ;) Growls are just a "deal-breaker" :lol: for a lot of people. I think there are many other similar examples regarding a person's individual tastes, where this is also true - music and otherwise. Take opera - I consider it an "unusual" vocal style and I like it, but I know there are people who simply hate it. Another example I come across a lot since I'm an arts librarian is how many people really don't care for or "get" a great deal of contemporary art. Haha - it is what it is.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Laura wrote:
    meshuggah wrote:When a new band is announced, wife's 1st question is "is this a band with a growler"? If I say yes, I get :cry: , although she's starting to understand that the "growler" is another musical instrument rather than a traditional "lead singer". More suggestions on how to explain this would be welcome :cheers:

Actually Stained Class wrote:I'll weigh in on the growling...

meshuggah wrote:Yep...just like opera singers the same basics of Support, Breath and Placement are applied. If you growl completely in your throat with a raised larynx, you will last about 3 minutes. It's interesting how proper vocal technique spans the gamut across all types of vocal music!

Good & interesting points. I personally LOVE growls and many other "unusual" vocal styles (as well as all kinds of "traditional singing," of course). Regarding people who don't care for growls from the get-go, I'm not sure if any amount of "explaining it" is going to make a huge difference (in the person liking it or not) - but worth a try at least, I guess. :P ;) Growls are just a "deal-breaker" :lol: for a lot of people. I think there are many other similar examples regarding a person's individual tastes, where this is also true - music and otherwise. Take opera - I consider it an "unusual" vocal style and I like it, but I know there are people who simply hate it. Another example I come across a lot since I'm an arts librarian is how many people really don't care for or "get" a great deal of contemporary art. Haha - it is what it is.

I disagree with the sentiment that "either people like it or they don't". I hated it at first but I slowly learned to love it. It's true to a point, but sometimes "explaining" it will make people at least appreciate/respect it more and they can get more into the music side of extreme metal.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

I used to not like so-called "cookie monster" vocals about ten years or so ago... then I heard Opeth and the doors of growling were blown wide open for me.

Now, I LOVE death metal vocals. Especially death metal vocalists that you can actually understand, like Akerfeldt, Swano, Tagtgren, Tardy, Drunen, Hegg, Alvestam, etc etc.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Warphine wrote:I used to not like so-called "cookie monster" vocals about ten years or so ago... then I heard Opeth and the doors of growling were blown wide open for me.

Now, I LOVE death metal vocals. Especially death metal vocalists that you can actually understand, like Akerfeldt, Swano, Tagtgren, Tardy, Drunen, Hegg, Alvestam, etc etc.

I agree, but over time slowly it got easier to understand. When I first heard Lamb Of God I had no idea what he was saying, now I go back and I can hear it with almost perfect clarity.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 pm

I especially love death vocals/growls when they are used with clean vocals. bands like opeth or btbam where the vocals line up with the musical transitions in the songs. growls for the heavy hard parts and clean for the slow or really melodic parts. though there are quite a few bands that fully growl that i love, i'm a sucker for really good clean vocalists like Russell Allen, whom we will all get the oppertunity to hear in all its glory. :bangers: :party: :cheers:
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Warphine wrote:I used to not like so-called "cookie monster" vocals about ten years or so ago... then I heard Opeth and the doors of growling were blown wide open for me.

I agree, but over time slowly it got easier to understand. When I first heard Lamb Of God I had no idea what he was saying, now I go back and I can hear it with almost perfect clarity.

Yeah, I understand him quite well in Lamb but not in Burn the Priest!! lol.

Regardless, I still love his work in both "bands".
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Well, I didn't mean to imply that one can *never* learn to like (or even LOVE) something one initially dislikes or even hates. :P Like I said, I think growls (or something like operatic singing) is a "deal-breaker" for a lot of people, and many of those people would not have the interest or patience in pursuing it enough to see if they might like it or at least soften up to it. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. I mean there are only so many hours in a day, days in a year, and so on - why spend a lot of time doing something if you're really not that interested? Joey & Warphine - you guys are obviously big into music as an area of interest/hobby, so it makes sense that you had interest to pursue a new musical avenue if you will. And I am the same way - I'm constantly pushing the musical (and other) "envelopes...." I like to try out/listen to all kinds of new music....but to a point. For example, I'm just not very fond of many of the bands I've heard that are "power metal," and at least for now, I'd rather *focus* on the genres that I really dig. That's not to say that I'll *never* listen to a power metal band, it's just not a priority. Likewise, I wouldn't expect some of the "wives" (or whatever non-extreme metal fans we're talking about) to dive head first into death or black metal.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah you're absolutely right. I just don't want people to miss out, and I let them know that they are seriously missing out.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I used to hate growls... Then I heard a Finntroll song (Hekomst) and another by Hypocrisy (Slave to the Parasites, I think) and I liked them... So I started listening to more folk metal with growls and black metal... And now I like pretty much anything.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:02 pm

If you want to hear some serious death metal growls listen to Broken Hope or Mortician. You will never understand a thing they're saying. It's even hard to follow while reading the lyrics. To me that's death metal the way it should be, brutal all the way! :deathmetal: :deathmetal:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Actually for growling vocals I still need it to sound like there are at least words. The current Cryptopsy singer, for example, can't stand him and it kills the music for me.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • strange
    Oiler

by strange » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Cowboy71 wrote:But yeah - she isn't a big fan of melodeath (doesn't mind DT) or thrash or growlers,so that rules out 70% of the current lineup already, and there are no real 'wishlist' bands on the rest of lineup for her either.

Hey, I like "growlers"! I just prefer balance between the styles, is all. Probably why Eluveitie is currently my favourite band. Because vocals are the hook for me, and I've always gotten into music from the perspective of someone who used to sing I just need a little bit of "clean" vocals to hook me into the rest of it. So bands with nothing but the growling can end up over the course of an entire show or recording a bit grating with nothing to break it up. So yeah, I just like balance.
    A.K.A: Mrs. Statsman
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 pm

onenight wrote:If you want to hear some serious death metal growls listen to Broken Hope or Mortician. You will never understand a thing they're saying. It's even hard to follow while reading the lyrics. To me that's death metal the way it should be, brutal all the way! :deathmetal: :deathmetal:

First of all, I think this subject of "growls" deserves its own thread!! (maybe I'll copy all these posts into a new thread on the Engine Room forum later) Lots of great posts on the topic. And second of all - in keeping with my previous comment about always wanting to try out new things (music and such) - I'm going to listen to Broke Hope and Mortician later on when I get a chance. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :cheers: Can't promise I'm gonna like 'em of course ;) , but I'll give 'em the "old college try." And yay - just checked Spotify - complete discographies for both bands are on there. Woo-hoo! :cool: :deathmetal:

Stained Class wrote:Actually for growling vocals I still need it to sound like there are at least words. The current Cryptopsy singer, for example, can't stand him and it kills the music for me.

When I don't understand the (foreign) language a vocalist is singing in - it becomes simply non-language, pure (instrumental) sound to me. Therefore the comment that Richard (meshuggah) made about thinking of a growl as another "instrument" really applies. I actually really love that about some bands/artists in particular (Taake, Kvelertak, Dir en Grey and others; I wish Dimmu Borgir had continued doing albums in Norwegian rather than English, btw). Similarly, if someone's English vocals are indiscernable, it is just non-language, pure sound to me as well. SInce there are no longer any words to hear, one can just concentrate on the sound as sound and infer the meaning from the emotion it creates in the listener. And I can think of examples outside of metal (like chanting and such), where the vocals are purposely non-word/non-lyrical. I really dig this kind of thing, even though I'm really into lyrics in certain cases, as well.

P.S. don't know Cryptopsy at all, so no comment - will have to check them out.
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Laura wrote:
    onenight wrote:If you want to hear some serious death metal growls listen to Broken Hope or Mortician. You will never understand a thing they're saying. It's even hard to follow while reading the lyrics. To me that's death metal the way it should be, brutal all the way! :deathmetal: :deathmetal:

First of all, I think this subject of "growls" deserves its own thread!! (maybe I'll copy all these posts into a new thread on the Engine Room forum later) Lots of great posts on the topic. And second of all - in keeping with my previous comment about always wanting to try out new things (music and such) - I'm going to listen to Broke Hope and Mortician later on when I get a chance. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :cheers: Can't promise I'm gonna like 'em of course ;) , but I'll give 'em the "old college try." And yay - just checked Spotify - complete discographies for both bands are on there. Woo-hoo! :cool: :deathmetal:

Stained Class wrote:Actually for growling vocals I still need it to sound like there are at least words. The current Cryptopsy singer, for example, can't stand him and it kills the music for me.

When I don't understand the (foreign) language a vocalist is singing in - it becomes simply non-language, pure (instrumental) sound to me. Therefore the comment that Richard (meshuggah) made about thinking of a growl as another "instrument" really applies. I actually really love that about some bands/artists in particular (Taake, Kvelertak, Dir en Grey and others; I wish Dimmu Borgir had continued doing albums in Norwegian rather than English, btw). Similarly, if someone's English vocals are indiscernable, it is just non-language, pure sound to me as well. SInce there are no longer any words to hear, one can just concentrate on the sound as sound and infer the meaning from the emotion it creates in the listener. And I can think of examples outside of metal (like chanting and such), where the vocals are purposely non-word/non-lyrical. I really dig this kind of thing, even though I'm really into lyrics in certain cases, as well.

P.S. don't know Cryptopsy at all, so no comment - will have to check them out.

Been a fan of broken hope for years. They just got back together. Sadly the old vocalist passed away , but their new stuff is quite good.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I wonder if Andy is going to announce a "turkey" for Thanksgiving? Which bands would you consider to be turkeys? I'll start with EMMURE
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm

meshuggah wrote:I wonder if Andy is going to announce a "turkey" for Thanksgiving? Which bands would you consider to be turkeys? I'll start with EMMURE

which bands are turkeys or which bands are from turkey? that is the question :lol: :lol:
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am

I am unaware of any turkey (bird) metal. I am sure there is something out there though...
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 am

I just realized, have we EVER had an Australian band? Or an East Asian band for that matter?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am

Ok as of now, just now my defamation of a turkey band is a band you generally see once a year but you want to taste that flavor

Previous thoughts where the band that did not follow and I was going to say Victory was our Turckey

Sorry I am practicing for the trip :beerwink: :heavydrink: :chug: :shots: :pound:

Breakfast drinking may/can be hard to do :cheers:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 am

Stained Class wrote:I just realized, have we EVER had an Australian band? Or an East Asian band for that matter?

I don't know if there were Australian bands on board, but I could imagine that the flight tickets are too expensive. Unfortunately I would love to have Be'lakor on board. :cry: :D
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am

jodionline wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:I just realized, have we EVER had an Australian band? Or an East Asian band for that matter?

I don't know if there were Australian bands on board, but I could imagine that the flight tickets are too expensive. Unfortunately I would love to have Be'lakor on board. :cry: :D

I want a lot of Australian bands.

Be'Lakor
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 am

Stained Class wrote:

I want a lot of Australian bands.

Be'Lakor
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic[/quote]

agree. though havent checked out Alarum or Psycroptic. :deathmetal:
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes. yes yes yes. Plus Karnivool.

Seriously though, Be'lakor, Ne Obliviscaris, and Chaos Divine are all 10/10 bands for me. must seeeeeeee
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Stained Class wrote:Be'Lakor
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic

Never heard of one of these Bands - therefore i'll take Airbourne and AC/DC, plus Midnight Oil and Men at Work...... :bangers:
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Lala wrote:
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic

Never heard of one of these Bands - therefore i'll take Airbourne and AC/DC, plus Midnight Oil and Men at Work...... :bangers:

Listen to all of them right now ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic

Your list lacks Bane of Winterstorm, Lord, Vanishing Point, and Claim the Throne.

Unless it was incorporated into an american tour it would be way too expensive to get a band from down under there.

And Be'Lakor and Claim the Throne can be ruled out fully as they are gigging locally the week of the cruise.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Ne Obliviscaris from Australia, Chthonic from Taiwan and Sigh from Japan? Make it so, Andy! :headbanger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    gietz
    Oiler

by gietz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Stained Class wrote:I want a lot of Australian bands.

Be'Lakor
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Voyager
    Chaos Divine
    Alarum
    Psycroptic

I am partial to any and all of these :bangers:

cowboy71 wrote:Your list lacks Bane of Winterstorm, Lord, Vanishing Point, and Claim the Throne.

Unless it was incorporated into an american tour it would be way too expensive to get a band from down under there.

And Be'Lakor and Claim the Throne can be ruled out fully as they are gigging locally the week of the cruise.

Claim the Throne would be awesome but unfortunately not to be =/
    Entrails Eradicated are pretty boss too but that also can't happen
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Azazel101 wrote:Ok as of now, just now my defamation of a turkey band is a band you generally see once a year but you want to taste that flavor

Previous thoughts where the band that did not follow and I was going to say Victory was our Turckey

Sorry I am practicing for the trip :beerwink: :heavydrink: :chug: :shots: :pound:

Breakfast drinking may/can be hard to do :cheers:

My definition of a "turkey" band is a band that there is no way in hell you would even go near one of their sets.
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

This trip can not come soon enough
    I really need a break from my normal life
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Azazel101 wrote:This trip can not come soon enough

I hear ya bud ... ready for some fun in the sun :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:32 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:
    Azazel101 wrote:This trip can not come soon enough

I hear ya bud ... ready for some fun in the sun :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:

pre cruise drinks at my place from now till on the boat, if you can get to Melbourne that is :) :cheers: :cheers:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 pm

carlynjason wrote:pre cruise drinks at my place from now till on the boat, if you can get to Melbourne that is :) :cheers: :cheers:

That would be awesome, and I'd jump on the offer if work and my wallet would allow it ....... thanks for the offer (even though I know you only put it out there knowing we couldn't except) :cheers: :stagger:
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 am

Pegazus from Down Under! Awesome weenie band :cool:
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 am

NuuX wrote:Pegazus from Down Under! Awesome weenie band :cool:

They don't tour that much locally. I've never had a chance to see them live!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
Post Reply 4744 posts