Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
Magnum for 70K 2014
    cowboy71
    Commander

Magnum for 70K 2014

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I contacted Magnum over on Facebook about doing 70k 2014 and they said:

"We Would Love To Do It"

I'm pretty sure the official facebook page is administered by their current bassist, Al Barrow.

Andy has said to me previously he doesn't think they are 'metal' enough for the cruise, but I say bullshit to that!!! I think they are as heavy if not heavier than a multitude of other bands that have been on previous cruises - eg Delain, Gotthard, Saxon to name a few!

And they are certainly popular enough - especially in Europe! Look at the lineup for Rockstad Falun. They are above Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Powerwolf, Bloodbound, Delain!

So please - as your resident Statsman I beg you, shout out to UMC and Magnum to get them on broad in 2014!

No more stats from me until Magnum are announced :evil: :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

Re: Magnum for 70K 2014

by X-Thor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:12 pm

cowboy71 wrote:I contacted Magnum over on Facebook about doing 70k 2014 and they said:

"We Would Love To Do It"

I'm pretty sure the official facebook page is administered by their current bassist, Al Barrow.

Andy has said to me previously he doesn't think they are 'metal' enough for the cruise, but I say bullshit to that!!! I think they are as heavy if not heavier than a multitude of other bands that have been on previous cruises - eg Delain, Gotthard, Saxon to name a few!

And they are certainly popular enough - especially in Europe! Look at the lineup for Rockstad Falun. They are above Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Powerwolf, Bloodbound, Delain!

So please - as your resident Statsman I beg you, shout out to UMC and Magnum to get them on broad in 2014!

No more stats from me until Magnum are announced :evil: :P

Hell, if you like them I'll probably like them too.

Book 'em, Skipper. PLEEEAAAASEE?

(And also Van Canto?)
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Have you ever listened to them? Their lead singer is BOB CATLEY who has appeared on numerous Avantasia albums :)

And Edguy even do a cover version of one of Magnum's classics "The Spirit".

If you are interested in checking them out, their last couple of albums have been fantastic, but their 'signature' album is "On A Storyteller's Night".
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Have you ever listened to them? Their lead singer is BOB CATLEY who has appeared on numerous Avantasia albums :)

And Edguy even do a cover version of one of Magnum's classics "The Spirit".

If you are interested in checking them out, their last couple of albums have been fantastic, but their 'signature' album is "On A Storyteller's Night".

I knew Bob Catley sings there, but I'd never listened to them. I will now.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Not metal enough...lolwut? Gotthard. Your argument is invalid.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:59 am

Sorry, but I don't need them.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 am

Well gee, thanks for your input. :roll:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 am

I'd be OK with them on broad!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 am

Magnum! Another band I'd not heard of before until Dallas started posting about them on the forum. And I'd never listened to them until now - just watched this youtube of them doing On a Storyteller's Night http://youtu.be/MCrqpV1zfCU - pleasant but didn't go nuts over because at least that particular song sounds like kinda generic 80s rock music to me (not even hard rock, but just rock) - not bad really, but just ok. But Dallas - I totally get loving a band from an early age (as I think you said you have loved Magnum). Based on that song alone, I would not consider them a metal band per se, but as has been said by others - 70K has had bands who many might not consider metal (including Delain who I am a big fan of incidentally). So, why not? Book 'em! :P Also didn't know anything about this Bob Catley guy till now - boy, has he been around in the music biz a long time - as long if not longer than many of my favorite 70s classic rock icons. (just read he is 65)

Ok - just watched this live performance (in 2005) of their big 80s hit Just Like An Arrow http://youtu.be/f3cNMoae4JM
    This one also sounds rock to me - maybe even pop-rock. Not bad, just not "metal" imo.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:22 am

Well, I'm sure Andy would have to make a heavy investment getting them on the ship. Unless of course the band is willing to supply their own......

http://m.now.msn.com/sex-toy-used-on-pe ... oice-coach
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm

KevinP wrote:Well, I'm sure Andy would have to make a heavy investment getting them on the ship. Unless of course the band is willing to supply their own......

http://m.now.msn.com/sex-toy-used-on-pe ... oice-coach

That's a riot! The next time I'm working with a soprano (or better yet, a tenor) who is having a problem relaxing their larynx, I'll bring out a vibrator and watch the reaction!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Laura wrote:Ok - just watched this live performance (in 2005) of their big 80s hit Just Like An Arrow http://youtu.be/f3cNMoae4JM
    This one also sounds rock to me - maybe even pop-rock. Not bad, just not "metal" imo.

Yeah and look, I haven't for one moment said they were metal either. I consider them 'pomp rock' I think is a great way to describe them.

My point is, that when I initially asked Andy to get them on broad after the 2011 cruise, ANDY said they 'weren't metal enough'.

And yeah - I think they are MORE metal than Gotthard or Delain, therefore that should not be a reason to not book them.

And yes they are getting on in age :( They are not going to be around forever, they are definitely NOT going to ever tour Australia, so I am running out of chances to see them live.

Hence my campaign to get them on 70k 2014!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Listened to a couple songs and yeah its definitely not metal but "not metal enough for 70k" still doesn't apply I don't think haha.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 pm

HEHE, Andy responded to me :P

He commended me on my persistence, and well he didn't say "NO" to Magnum which is better than nothing :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Pero
    Petty Officer

by Pero » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 am

Seen them twice and I would love to see them onbroad :)
    2011 - 5535
    2012 - 5527
    2013 - 2513
    2014 - 2039
    2015 - 9675
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1