Post Reply 410 posts
Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise

by Pellaz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:22 pm

klons wrote:
    liser wrote:When you say scanners this is the process with security for carrying your bags onto the boat yourself? Like I said we had no problem checking our bags in, just curious about carrying them on ourselves.
    It sounds like worst case scenario you just have them confiscated, so no real reason not to try it?

Your bags get scanned whether you check them or carry on.

For a cruise, only a percentage of checked luggage is scanned or x-rayed. There's no way they could scan them all in time. Figure 3,000+ passengers and an average of one bag apiece (some have none, some have two or even three since there's no limit) ....there ain't no way.

So, it's a random chance whether your checked bag gets scanned or not. (I think all carry-on luggage goes through the TSA checkpoint x-ray, though.)
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Giving this a much needed bump!
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:41 pm

As a follow-up on the X-ray thing, I just got back from a cruise out of Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale.
    My friend John packed an extra bottle of wine in his checked luggage...and it got taken and confiscated.
    I stuck a few extra cans of soda in my checked luggage...and it made it through fine.

Maybe they have an alcohol-sniffing dog or something. :lol:
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    Crawfords Folly
    Wiper

by Crawfords Folly » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:18 pm

This is great, Thanks! :headbanger:
    Lucifers Rebellion~

MDF 2015 2016
    70K 2016 2017 2018
    BLASTFEST 2016
    PSYCHO 2017
    INFERNO 2018
  • shezbot
    Wiper

by shezbot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:11 pm

This advice is golden! And 100% useful for total noobs like me... cheers legends
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Maybe I said this before, but I'll say it again. On my first cruise I pretty much packed the kitchen sink so to speak. What I wish I knew, was that sometimes on this trip less is better. My advice is don't overpack. Bringing less on the later cruises I was able to not worry about all the bullcrap I didn't bring.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Oh yeah, for all of you Han Solos out there, don't bring glass. :heavydrink:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Anyone ever stay in a room near a venue? I'm now in Deck 2 right near the Ice Rink and I was wondering if the sound is too loud for sleepers?

Also, this is our first cruise we've ever done, and never gone through customs before. How's the process like? We are scheduled to fly in at 6:45 and we're headed straight to port as soon as we land. Would that be too early? We don't want to piss off any government officials.

One more, did any of you guys happen to come across any certain local herbs while in Jamacia, if you catch my drift? How easy is it to find, price, local laws... Etc.
    Angra-Amon Amarth-Autopsy-Cancer-Cavalera Conspiracy-Chthonic-Coroner-Iron Reagan-Kreator-Masacre-Mayham-Necrophagist-Nightwish-Nuclear Assault-Obituary-Obscura-Onslaught-Overkill-Pagans Mind-Razor-Revocation-Sonata Arctica-Toxik-Ulver-Unisonic
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Rjturtle9 wrote:Anyone ever stay in a room near a venue? I'm now in Deck 2 right near the Ice Rink and I was wondering if the sound is too loud for sleepers?

Also, this is our first cruise we've ever done, and never gone through customs before. How's the process like? We are scheduled to fly in at 6:45 and we're headed straight to port as soon as we land. Would that be too early? We don't want to piss off any government officials.

One more, did any of you guys happen to come across any certain local herbs while in Jamacia, if you catch my drift? How easy is it to find, price, local laws... Etc.

POINT 1 - SLEEP AND NOISE

Yeah there will be some noise close to the venue like that. On a couple of occasions previously we've stayed on upper decks and even a couple of decks down you can hear the pool stage. Which can be quite handy actually. ie:

*dozing in cabin*

*hears noise from above*

"Shit! Pool deck is warming up! Time to go!!!"

:lol:

But seriously don't worry too much about it, because SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!

POINT 2 - ARRIVAL

That shouldn't be any problem at all because they won't actually start allowing people on to the ship for a while. You will have an advantage because you will most likely be one of the first in line! Be prepared for a long wait though - so take water, snacks, maybe something to read or something to listen to. (also in case you are wondering - there will be vending machines there, and toilets nearby).

POINT 3 - herbs

Yep they are everywhere in Jamaica. Not something that interests me though so don't have full details for ya :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    cronos23462
    Oiler

by cronos23462 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:18 pm

I was in Jamaica 2 years ago and there is weed everywhere.....soon as you land you can smell it
    soilwork ,scar symmetry ,solution .45,dream evil, overkill, accept, venom inc,
    slayergeek
    Chief Petty Officer

by slayergeek » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm

cronos23462 wrote:I was in Jamaica 2 years ago and there is weed everywhere.....soon as you land you can smell it

UMC made a point last year to tell us that if Royal Caribbean caught you with it, they would/could kick you off the boat. I know during a normal cruise it would happen for sure. That being said, they 'may' be more relaxed on this due to the crowd.

I do not partake myself, but if you choose to go this route be very careful. It would not be worth it to kicked off the boat in Jamaica and have to make your own arrangements to get home.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,See_You_In_2019

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    • iPhone Version-https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/70k-bands/id958759290?mt=8
    • Android Version-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Bands70k

WishList
    • The_Crown-/-Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/-Violence-/
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:03 pm

slayergeek wrote:
    cronos23462 wrote:I was in Jamaica 2 years ago and there is weed everywhere.....soon as you land you can smell it

UMC made a point last year to tell us that if Royal Caribbean caught you with it, they would/could kick you off the boat. I know during a normal cruise it would happen for sure. That being said, they 'may' be more relaxed on this due to the crowd.

I do not partake myself, but if you choose to go this route be very careful. It would not be worth it to kicked off the boat in Jamaica and have to make your own arrangements to get home.

Does that count if they catch you on shore? I don't plan on sneaking anything illegal back with me on the boat of course. Just a bucket list thing for me to do while in Jamaica.

I did remember hearing something about bringing back alcohol from Jamaica. Something about checking it in and receiving it when you disembark back in Flordia. How really does that work? I would like to bring back some rum for friends and family if possible.
    Angra-Amon Amarth-Autopsy-Cancer-Cavalera Conspiracy-Chthonic-Coroner-Iron Reagan-Kreator-Masacre-Mayham-Necrophagist-Nightwish-Nuclear Assault-Obituary-Obscura-Onslaught-Overkill-Pagans Mind-Razor-Revocation-Sonata Arctica-Toxik-Ulver-Unisonic
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Rjturtle9 wrote:Does that count if they catch you on shore? I don't plan on sneaking anything illegal back with me on the boat of course. Just a bucket list thing for me to do while in Jamaica.

Probably easiest you read this - basically worst case scenario is if you are caught smoking on Jamaica you'll get a $US100 fine:

http://www.mensjournal.com/travel/beach ... s-20150226

Alcohol purchased there - you will need to declare it when you get back on the ship. Hand it over when you go through the security scanning and you'll get it back when we return to FLL.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • metalfan9366
    Oiler

by metalfan9366 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you to all for the great advice. I do have one question that I did not see addressed.
    How does a person pay for stuff on the boat? Drinks, Tips, Merch? Is it strictly cash, credit card or both? What is an appropriate amount of cash to carry on board? Thank you to for any and all replies.
    2016 Survivor
    2018 Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:43 pm

metalfan9366 wrote:Thank you to all for the great advice. I do have one question that I did not see addressed.
    How does a person pay for stuff on the boat? Drinks, Tips, Merch? Is it strictly cash, credit card or both? What is an appropriate amount of cash to carry on board? Thank you to for any and all replies.

When you check in, you get given a "Sea Pass" card. This Sea Pass card you will link an account to (like, your credit card for example).

You will then use that Sea Pass card to 'pay' for everything on the ship. On the final night you will get a statement of your expenditure left in your room. If its all good then you don't have to do anything further and the payments will be deducted from your account.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:33 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    Rjturtle9 wrote:Does that count if they catch you on shore? I don't plan on sneaking anything illegal back with me on the boat of course. Just a bucket list thing for me to do while in Jamaica.

Probably easiest you read this - basically worst case scenario is if you are caught smoking on Jamaica you'll get a $US100 fine:

Alcohol purchased there - you will need to declare it when you get back on the ship. Hand it over when you go through the security scanning and you'll get it back when we return to FLL.

Thank you! That pretty much answered that question. :lol:

One more. What kinda cruise merch can we expect. Like not the band merch, but official 70k stuff. I know t shirts, hoodies, and bikinis are available, but what other options are offered? Any swimming shorts, patches... Etc?

Also what would be a good time to line up. I'm guessing 2 hours before it opens should be decent. Any suggestions?
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:36 pm

70k merch there is not much more than you listed. Also they normally have can holders. hoodies, posters, sun screen, beanies... I think that's about it?

Check out this video from the 2013 cruise and you'll get an idea of the merch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfuiTVrn6mA

Merchandise is normally sold from two locations. Deck 5 Dining Room will be the 'main' merchandise store - so here will have all the band merchandise as well as all the 70k merchandise.

Along the Promenade there will also be a seperate stall setup just selling the 70k merchandise.

Even two hours before scheduled opening you will be a LONG way down the line. A lot of people end up, after the final show they wish to see for the evening prior to the store opening, going and starting to lineup (or to be exact, falling asleep on the floor) then :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:13 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    Even two hours before scheduled opening you will be a LONG way down the line. A lot of people end up, after the final show they wish to see for the evening prior to the store opening, going and starting to lineup (or to be exact, falling asleep on the floor) then :)

That explains the pjs and pillows in the videos I've seen. Probably gonna take that route.
  • metalfan9366
    Oiler

by metalfan9366 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    metalfan9366 wrote:Thank you to all for the great advice. I do have one question that I did not see addressed.

When you check in, you get given a "Sea Pass" card. This Sea Pass card you will link an account to (like, your credit card for example).

You will then use that Sea Pass card to 'pay' for everything on the ship. On the final night you will get a statement of your expenditure left in your room. If its all good then you don't have to do anything further and the payments will be deducted from your account.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it
    2016 Survivor
    2018 Survivor
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:40 pm

Rjturtle9 wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:

Thank you! That pretty much answered that question. :lol:

One more. What kinda cruise merch can we expect. Like not the band merch, but official 70k stuff. I know t shirts, hoodies, and bikinis are available, but what other options are offered? Any swimming shorts, patches... Etc?

Also what would be a good time to line up. I'm guessing 2 hours before it opens should be decent. Any suggestions?

Hey a fellow Los Angeles soon to be survivor. :beerhorns: Haha based on my experince in '15 some quick advice I can also give is don't show up too early to the port, you may be turned away happend to me. I didnt line up early enough but still managed to get some band merchandise with about a 30 minute line wait (even got myself the Destruction exclusive shirt :mrgreen: ) . Also if your lucky you could run into them setting up just the 70k merchandise elsewhere on the boat and easily snag a survivor shirt in 5 easy minutes (happend to me, as I walked out aimlessy haha) Other than that, good to see a forum mate from good ol LA! :bangers:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:29 am

Jimbo2392 wrote:some quick advice I can also give is don't show up too early to the port, you may be turned away happened to me.

What time is too early?
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:
    Jimbo2392 wrote:some quick advice I can also give is don't show up too early to the port, you may be turned away happened to me.

What time is too early?

I think it was around 8? I took a lyft ride over there and the security told me it's too early I couldn't even line up yet to check back later.
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:11 pm

Bummer, I was planning on arriving to the port at that time. Oh well, I guess I can mingle around a bit. Any places within a walking/short cab distance?
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Rjturtle9 wrote:Bummer, I was planning on arriving to the port at that time. Oh well, I guess I can mingle around a bit. Any places within a walking/short cab distance?

I decided to go eat breakfast at a nearby Denny's not too far from the port, also the beach is not far nor pricey if you use Lyft/Uber.
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 pm

You saved me from heading over there at 8. When do they usually let you in?
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:You saved me from heading over there at 8. When do they usually let you in?

My best guess would be around 12? I probally will call the port myself and ask just to be sure. Don't want to wait in a long line again, would be nice if to make the line quicker and more time to be on the boat.
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:18 am

Jimbo2392 wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:You saved me from heading over there at 8. When do they usually let you in?

My best guess would be around 12? I probally will call the port myself and ask just to be sure. Don't want to wait in a long line again, would be nice if to make the line quicker and more time to be on the boat.

If you come back here and share the answer you get, that would be really appreciated :)
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:41 am

I got to the port at 12:00 this year and did not get on the ship until 14:00. The line was long! I am going to try and get there around 10:00 this time.

bodomdragon wrote:
    Jimbo2392 wrote:

If you come back here and share the answer you get, that would be really appreciated :)
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - It has been a blast and I will miss everyone but it is a big NOPE for me!
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:13 pm

For all you guys smoking weed, you should be fine just as long as you don't boast about it or show it off. I strongly advise against trying to smuggle any onbroad.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 am

mbob wrote:I got to the port at 12:00 this year and did not get on the ship until 14:00. The line was long! I am going to try and get there around 10:00 this time.

Thanks for the input. My friends and I were thinking about something similar to that.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 am

Well we'll see each other at 10, i hope not to many people decides to go that early haha out the line will be just as long as later in the morning
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:23 am

Damn, we got to the port around 11:30ish and it took 4 freakin' hours to get on! What a clusterfuck. We weren't on 'till after 15:00 but forget the exact times.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    cronos23462
    Oiler

by cronos23462 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 pm

the ship has to get everyone from the previous cruise off the ship and be inspected by the coast guard before boarding will begin for this cruise....no way boarding starts before 12...
    soilwork ,scar symmetry ,solution .45,dream evil, overkill, accept, venom inc,
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:57 pm

I thought I remember reading somewhere if you "check in online" prior to arriving to the port it will speed up the process to get on the boat, since to those who didn't do that in the first place would have to do that there so I figured for this year I did that, and was expecting a "faster line" for those who "checked in online prior to arrival to port" but alas it all ONE line. :bitch:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Someone had mentioned that they talked to someone at RC regarding the Interrogation Hall that a lot of us spent an hour or more in before getting into the terminal--they had said that no cruises make people wait that long. The crazy thing as well, was I witnessed people still getting dropped off my car and cab after 3 pm! That would suck,,,,show up to the port and see the Independent's ass sailing away

8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:Someone had mentioned that they talked to someone at RC regarding the Interrogation Hall that a lot of us spent an hour or more in before getting into the terminal--they had said that no cruises make people wait that long. The crazy thing as well, was I witnessed people still getting dropped off my car and cab after 3 pm! That would suck,,,,show up to the port and see the Independent's ass sailing away

Daaaaamn that would totally suck. If anything I'll get myself back to the airport, and book the first flight to Jamaica and wait at Falmouth at the beach for the boat to get there. :lol: :lol:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 am

This is due for another bump.

Welcome newbies! :beerhorns:
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am

germanegyptiangirl wrote:1. Running order: I see last year he posted the full one in the early hours of the morning. Not sure if I would check my email or not. Are there copies of the running order for every day at once somewhere else?
    Yes - you should get the daily running order in your cabin every day. If not its also available at the concierge desk.
    2. When usually does room service happen? Do they then give you the schedule for the day then and what about when you buy a pop or water package?
    Room service happens randomly. And yes you get the schedule. You can purchase the drinks package when you board.
    3. Who do you tip on the ship and how much %?
    Tips are included in your up front fees, but you can tip extra if you want to.
    4. How much is merchandise usually?
    About $US20-$US25 for shirts.
    5. How early should one be at the shows to get a good spot?
    Just whenever - for the headline shows if you want to get on the barrier maybe get there half an hour to an hour early. Otherwise its not an issue.
    6. How do you put cash on your seapass initially? Can you put on more later on in the cruise and where do you go for that? If you have money remaining on it how do you get it back?
    I've never put cash on mine - always linked it to a credit card which is done beforehand.
    7. Do they add extra rate (other than the conversion rate and what the bank charges) on your credit card if you link it to the seapass? How do you link it to the seapass?
    As above, and no I don't think they charge extra
    8. Can you bring liquids through security that are bigger than the requirement for planes (was thinking of buying sun screen in fort Lauderdale)?
    Yep thats not an issue
    9. Can you take carry-on luggage through security with you and then take it on board by yourself without them taking it and putting it in the hallways?
    Absolutely
    10. What time are the rooms ready?
    Cannot remember to be honest - I think as soon as you get on the ship.
    11. What time should you line up to get on if you want to make it the closest to when your room is ready? Can you take luggage into the restaurants if you need to wait?
    As per above. You can take carry on luggage sure.
    12. What happens if you are there before boarding time (checkout is at 10 am for us and the port should be only 15 min away or so)
    You join a long queue!
    13. Debarkation on last day is at 8 am but you can get breakfast at that time right? What time should you actually get off?
    Yes - you can hang around a while at the various lounges etc until 9ish probably.
    14. What travel documents are needed? Also in Jamaica?
    Depends where you are from http://70000tons.com/travel-documents/
    15. What is the time used on the boat (for Lauderdale time)?
    Think its just local Miami time. (Eastern Standard Time)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 pm

klons wrote:
    germanegyptiangirl wrote:12. What happens if you are there before boarding time (checkout is at 10 am for us and the port should be only 15 min away or so)
    You join a long queue!

That's putting it way too lightly :shock: I really hope the port does better this time.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    klons wrote:
    germanegyptiangirl wrote:12. What happens if you are there before boarding time (checkout is at 10 am for us and the port should be only 15 min away or so)
    You join a long queue!

That's putting it way too lightly :shock: I really hope the port does better this time.

I'm glad I was reminded of it today, so I can make sure to have some good reading on my phone or something. I spent two hours in line, and the people on both sides of me were groups of German speakers who were traveling together. At least it's orderly. It's just really, really boring.

I want to get there at 10 am this year, but somehow I feel that everyone else will try that, too. :?
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
Post Reply 410 posts