Post Reply 410 posts
Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

Re: Stuff You Wish You Knew Before Your 1st Cruise

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 pm

I fully intend to Mosh and crowd surf everything in sight. It is tradition. :shred:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 pm

I'll find gratch and surf on him. Teach him a lesson
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:21 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:I fully intend to Mosh and crowd surf everything in sight. It is tradition. :shred:

I've got no issue with moshing and will always participate. That's an active endeavor. Crowd surfing...that's just annoying.

alex_canada wrote:I'll find gratch and surf on him. Teach him a lesson

All good. I'll be the guy punching you in the balls as you kick me in the head. Fair trade. :twisted:
    Survivor 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (booked)

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Crowdsurfing is just moshing in the air, maaaaaaan

and getting punched in the balls is the most action i expect on this cruise. too many bands to see! :beerbang:
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 am

I'm with Gratch on this. Crowdsurfing is annoying even at the big outdoor festivals, and unbearable at tiny indoor events. The stupidest thing ever is crowdsurfing in the Pyramid Lounge. One of these days someone will either be electrocuted or damage the lighting on the ceiling in there.

I always thought crowdsurfing pretty much died as a tradition after the 90's, but it has come back with the rise of folk metal and such genres that attract, hmm, let's say, a different crowd. Or is it more of an American thing now?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 am

Memnoch wrote:The stupidest thing ever is crowdsurfing in the Pyramid Lounge. One of these days someone will either be electrocuted or damage the lighting on the ceiling in there.

Saw a dude last year get dropped headfirst onto the metal barrier in Pyramid Lounge during Fleshgod Apocalypse's set. How he got out of there without a concussion (at minimum) or major head trauma remains a mystery to me.
    Survivor 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (booked)

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 am

Memnoch wrote:I'm with Gratch on this. Crowdsurfing is annoying even at the big outdoor festivals, and unbearable at tiny indoor events. The stupidest thing ever is crowdsurfing in the Pyramid Lounge. One of these days someone will either be electrocuted or damage the lighting on the ceiling in there.

I always thought crowdsurfing pretty much died as a tradition after the 90's, but it has come back with the rise of folk metal and such genres that attract, hmm, let's say, a different crowd. Or is it more of an American thing now?

Almost every gig i've been to in the UK for the last 'I don't know how many' years, there has been no crowd surfing, - usually if you do you get ejected.
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:19 am

Gratch wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:The stupidest thing ever is crowdsurfing in the Pyramid Lounge. One of these days someone will either be electrocuted or damage the lighting on the ceiling in there.

Saw a dude last year get dropped headfirst onto the metal barrier in Pyramid Lounge during Fleshgod Apocalypse's set. How he got out of there without a concussion (at minimum) or major head trauma remains a mystery to me.

I saw the same thing... I can't remember if it was Fleshgod or a different set.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:21 am

Memnoch wrote:I'm with Gratch on this. Crowdsurfing is annoying even at the big outdoor festivals, and unbearable at tiny indoor events. The stupidest thing ever is crowdsurfing in the Pyramid Lounge. One of these days someone will either be electrocuted or damage the lighting on the ceiling in there.

I do see it from time to time at American shows, but even I was caught off guard by the amount of crowdsurfing during Nervosa in the lounge last year. It was nonstop insanity. I would say it is definitely encouraged in there just by the fact that most of the people in the room probably get restless. You can't see anything...

That being said, it ruins everyone's day when someone falls on my wife's head. So stop it! Stop it now!
    Last edited by Downvod on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:23 am

Yeah doing it in pyramid is a bit idea all around. It depends on the context. I laugh at the guys who were up during SX's odyssey, but I can see it for iced earth etc. Probably a regional thing. I don't see it much at regular concerts in my city but I expect it at certain festivals based on the demographic. None at progpower since everyone is old, but tons at Wacken etc. 70k seems to be in the middle somewhere.

For the times that I just want to stand and watch the concert, I'd much rather deal with surfers than mashing.
    ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:45 am

I think crowd surfing wouldn't be that bad if you knew someone was coming. If only something could light up or something so we know to turn around and catch them.

Also, there was shit tons of crowd surfing last year and that might be because security was catching them, instead of throwing them back as they had in previous years. I'm not sure which is better: catch the surfers, encouraging more people to start, and annoying the crowd/photographers, or throw them back, stopping the surfing, and having the people be mad at security. :?
    Wishlist
    Æther-Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amaon-Amarth-/-Amaranthe-/-Amorphis-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Annihilator-/-Arch-Enemy-/-Arkona-/-Asenblut-/-Avantasia-/-Avartarium-/-Axxis-/-Babymetal-/-Battlecross-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Be'lakor-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodbound-/-Brendon-Small-/-Brymir-/-Cain's-Offering-/-Carach-Angren-/-Cattle-Decapitation-/-Children-Of-Bodom-/-Chthonic-/-Crimson-Shadows-/-Dalriada-/-Derdian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dying-Fetus-/-Edguy-/-Eluveitie-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evil-Scarecrow-/-Ex-Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Falconer-/-Fallujah-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Galneryus-/-Ghost-B.C.-/-Gloryhammer-/-Goatwhore-/-God-Dethroned-/-Gojira-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Iron-Savior-/-Kalmah-/-Kamelot-/-Lagerstein-/-Moonsorrow-/-Mors-Principium-Est-/-Nanowar-Of-Steel-/-Nightwish-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Powerwolf-/-Rumahoy-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio-Mortis-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Skyfire-/-Solar-Fragment-/-Steel-Panther-/-Swashbuckle-/-Symphony-X-/-The-Dread-Crew-Of-Oddwood-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Twilight-Force-/-Týr-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Valhalore-/-Van-Canto-/-Visigoth-/-Wintersun-/-Ye-Banished-Privateers
    70k2015 Survivor - 2328
    70k2016 Survivor - 7511
    70k2017 Survivor - 6523
    70k2019 - 3336
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 am

There was tons of crowd surfing for Municipal Waste during the ice rink show in 2015. We were on the barrier and had to keep an eye out. You have to expect it at a show like that though. We had a blast during both their sets.
    Tristess
    Oiler

by Tristess » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Tips!! Sorry First Timer, if this has been asked before (I've searched the forums) but I'm thoroughly confused and from a non-Tipping country..

On the boat, I thought all of the gratuities (tips) were included in the up front price we paid.. but I read that they add tips to drinks or there is a daily charge on the bill... I really don't want to be a rude and happy to pay my way but also unsure what I've already paid for in the overall ticket price which is pretty substantial for me..

I'm all for leaving some cash for the room attendants etc, but what happens when you go to pay for drinks, do they add a tip to your Seapass every time you approach a bar? (do you sign a docket as such and have the option of adding/subtracting a tip?) (and is this a no-no?)

Halp :)

Also, really looking forward to meeting everyone.. Also first time travelling solo anywhere and a really long way from home, if you recognise me come and say Hi :)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Tip is already included with the price of your drink. You will see it on your receipt when you get your card back from the bartender. There will be a blank line if you want to add more to what's already on there, but it is not expected or necessary. Sometimes it helps you get stronger drinks and more attentive service though.

Protip - If you do not want to add any extra tip to the automatic one, make sure to put a strikethrough on the blank line. Prevents any potential shenanigans if someone wanted to add more on their copy of the receipt. Though I've never heard of that happening on the cruise.

At the end of the cruise, there will be a little envelope that you can put cash in if you wish to give a little extra to your room attendant.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Tristess
    Oiler

by Tristess » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 pm

^^ That's awesome, thank you! Was all kinds of confused, that makes sense!
    Much appreciated :)
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:44 am

Tristess wrote:Tips!! Sorry First Timer, if this has been asked before (I've searched the forums) but I'm thoroughly confused and from a non-Tipping country..

On the boat, I thought all of the gratuities (tips) were included in the up front price we paid.. but I read that they add tips to drinks or there is a daily charge on the bill... I really don't want to be a rude and happy to pay my way but also unsure what I've already paid for in the overall ticket price which is pretty substantial for me..

The total ticket price includes gratuities for your stateroom steward and the dining room waiter, assistant waiter and headwaiter. For this charter, those tips are included along with the port fees and government taxes which comprised that $370 or so that everyone pays in addition to the passenger fare. On a "normal" cruise the gratuities average about $10 per day.

As Mooyagi said, your drink receipts onbroad will have a tip added (15%, I think, which is standard) . If your bartender is especially good you can add an amount. It's not necessary or expected but in my experience, if you frequent a particular bar and bartender a lot and tip him/her extra, they DO tend to remember that...and sometimes rewards may come your way.

I'm all for leaving some cash for the room attendants etc, but what happens when you go to pay for drinks, do they add a tip to your Seapass every time you approach a bar? (do you sign a docket as such and have the option of adding/subtracting a tip?) (and is this a no-no?)

I don't think the automatic gratuities on 70K can be adjusted since they were charged as part of the port fees, etc. On a normal cruise they can be, and on the last day I've seen people lined up at Guest Services to reduce or remove the tips. Low-class, nekulturny, but there's always someone....
    I've never reduced tips in this way, but I have tipped the room steward extra upon arrival to ensure good service and a frequently filled ice-bucket. I know how hard they work.

There ARE some people that you would still normally tip:

• shuttle bus driver if you take a shuttle to/from the pier ($1-$2)
    • porters who take your luggage at the pier to be brought onbroad ($1/bag)
    • porter who helps you with your luggage through the debarkation process, if you engage one
    • Person who brings room-service to your room ($1-$2, or more if it's a lot of food or multiple orders)
    • Shore-excursion operators (boat or catamaran captain/crew, land tour guides, etc.) $5-20 depending on the cost of the excursion and the size of the crew or personnel

Also, really looking forward to meeting everyone.. Also first time travelling solo anywhere and a really long way from home, if you recognise me come and say Hi :)

Wow, that IS a long way. Welcome abroad!
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    Tristess
    Oiler

by Tristess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 am

Pellaz wrote: Wow, that IS a long way. Welcome abroad!

Thank you!! And cheers for the all the info above, very helpful and also gives a good idea of what kind of currency I'll need to convert to have cash on-hand for tippage :) :3drunks:
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

Nice write-up Pellaz :beerwink:
    Personally I've found the American tipping extravaganza to be really over the top and during my first cruise I probably left some bad feelings in a lot of people involved in my travel but I simply wasn't used to tipping at all.
    I'm now usually just giving a dollar or two to almost anybody who's doing anything for me :oops:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Oh yeah, the porters. Don't worry. They'll remind you that they need a tip. :roll: One of the reasons why i always just carry on.
    UltimoAviso
    Petty Officer

by UltimoAviso » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Tristess wrote:Tips!! Sorry First Timer, if this has been asked before (I've searched the forums) but I'm thoroughly confused and from a non-Tipping country..

I prefer to go to the same bar every time. Every drink i order i'll tip $1 on the tip line, then the 3rd drink ill tip $2. If the bartender engages in good conversation ill throw more their way. The bartenders were happy and took VERY good care of me throughout the cruise. Even after one's shift ended, she pulled the new bartender aside and told him to take very good care of me :shots: by the time I was tired of long islands' he whipped my and my friends up a batch of frozen mojito's and that did the trick.

Tip from personal experience: If you go to the schooner bar, stand closer to the casino because the bartenders can be more liberal with their pours over there.
    http://www.helionprimemetal.com/ <-My Band

70K:
    2016-7211
    2017-9230
    2018-1690
    2019-7648
    Wacken:
    Progpower:

Wish:Skull Fist-Striker-*Grim Reaper*-Manowar-Running Wild(and i book immediately)
    Tristess
    Oiler

by Tristess » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 pm

^^ Very good to know, thanks!! :cheers:
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

mooyagi wrote:Oh yeah, the porters. Don't worry. They'll remind you that they need a tip. :roll: One of the reasons why i always just carry on.

Jesus man you aren't kidding. They want a tip if they so much as even look at your bag.
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Oh yeah, the porters. Don't worry. They'll remind you that they need a tip. :roll: One of the reasons why i always just carry on.

Jesus man you aren't kidding. They want a tip if they so much as even look at your bag.

One year the porter told us "If you want to make sure your bag gets on the boat, you need to tip me." We didn't know that we could carry them on at the time, so we gave him a small tip.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Sgt. B wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:

One year the porter told us "If you want to make sure your bag gets on the boat, you need to tip me." We didn't know that we could carry them on at the time, so we gave him a small tip.

That the first year? I think we checked in the very first then carried at least 1 bag with us after that. The first year it took them absolutely forever to get them to the room
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    Sgt. B wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:...

That the first year? I think we checked in the very first then carried at least 1 bag with us after that. The first year it took them absolutely forever to get them to the room

It was my first year, 2012.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Sgt. B wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:
    Sgt. B wrote:

It was my first year, 2012.

Did you ever complain to the cruise line about that? Probably could score some free drink credits. :lol: Really, though, the porters can fuck right off.
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Carry your bag if you can,in 2013 there was 2 bags in my room when I got there.I just thought they where my roommates,can back 2 more bags (they where actually my roommates).Finally before muster drill we where both in the room to find out 2 bags didn't belong to us.Looked at the tag wrong room,took them down to the right room and knocked on door,no answer just left them by the door.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:16 am

Carrying luggage was annoying, I like to get reacquainted with the boat, grab a drink and some food asap. I tip the luggage guy $5 so my stuff makes it onbroad.

Same $1 or $2 tip for good bartender, one year I gave the bartender in Pyramid $15 because the gift shop was closed. Pizza gave me heartburn and a fever, he went to HIS cabin and brought me aspirin. I wrote to Royal Caribbean when we got home about his awesome service too (minus mentioning the aspirin).
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:47 am

I also read somewhere that if you stuff rum runner kits in a bag left with porters, in between clothes, it is less likely to be detected and confiscated than if it's in your carry on bag. For a $2-5 tip, I'm willing to find out if that's true.
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:09 am

PacNW wrote:I also read somewhere that if you stuff rum runner kits in a bag left with porters, in between clothes, it is less likely to be detected and confiscated than if it's in your carry on bag. For a $2-5 tip, I'm willing to find out if that's true.

We had a lot of rum runners in our checked suitcase last year. (60 pounder of whiskey and a 60 of rum). Tipped the porter 10 bucks and asked him to make sure everything in that bag makes it to the room (I think my ex might have suggestively winked too lol). He smiled and laughed, and gave us a big thank you. All the booze made it to the room safe and sound :beerwink:
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alkaloid-/-ALLEGAEON-/-Anciients-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Ash.Borer-/Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates-/-AUTOPSY-/-Barren.Earth-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Benighted-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Earth-/-Black.Fast-/-Blood.Incantation-/-Bloodhunter-/-Bolt.Thrower,(wishful.thinking)-/-Bölzer-/-Borknagar-/-Brymir-/-Cancer-/-Cannabis.Corpse-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Coffins-/-Cormorant-/Corrosion.of.Conformity-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-Cut.Up-/-Dark.Angel-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DAWN.OF.DISEASE-/-Daylight.Dies-/-Dead.Congregation-/-Damnation.Defaced-/-Death.Angel-/-Decapitated-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-Desultory.(more.wishful.thinking)/-DISMEMBER.(wishful.thinking.that's.actually.possible.now!!!)-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-Dying.Fetus-/-Dyscarnate-/-Emperor-/-Enforcer-/-Entombed-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-/-Feral-/-FINNTROLL-/-Firespawn-/-Flotsam.&.Jetsam-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorguts-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Grave-/-Grave.Miasma-/-Graveworm-/-Gruesome-/-Gutter.Instinct-/-Hallatar-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hate.Eternal-/-Hatesphere-/-Hath-/-Haunt-/-Hellbringer-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Ihsahn-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kadaver-/-Kaoteon-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-Magic.Circle-/-Magoth-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-Miasmal-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-Morta.Skuld-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Phlebotomized-/-Power.Trip-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Profanal-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Replacaire-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-Sacrifice-/-SATAN-/-Satyricon-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-Suffocation-/-Sulphur-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Tau.Cross-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Terrorizer-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-The.Lurking.Fear-/-The.Wretched.End-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Vampire-/-Vanum-/-Vektor-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Vesperia-/-Vredehammer-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

FYI...Porters are not responsible for getting you luggage to the room nor are they around when security checks your luggage. People seem to think if they tip the porters generously that it will improve your chances of getting banned items on board. That is not the case. All the porters do is deposit your luggage into a luggage cage that the dock workers then take to security and on to the ship. In Galveston I never leave my luggage with porters and instead take it directly to the luggage cage myself.

Hoppy McGee wrote:
    PacNW wrote:I also read somewhere that if you stuff rum runner kits in a bag left with porters, in between clothes, it is less likely to be detected and confiscated than if it's in your carry on bag. For a $2-5 tip, I'm willing to find out if that's true.

We had a lot of rum runners in our checked suitcase last year. (60 pounder of whiskey and a 60 of rum). Tipped the porter 10 bucks and asked him to make sure everything in that bag makes it to the room (I think my ex might have suggestively winked too lol). He smiled and laughed, and gave us a big thank you. All the booze made it to the room safe and sound :beerwink:
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - It has been a blast and I will miss everyone but it is a big NOPE for me!
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 am

While i am going with someone who has been on the cruise a few times, i would like to say thank you for these lists they have been informative and sometimes amusing !

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:33 pm

mbob wrote:FYI...Porters are not responsible for getting you luggage to the room nor are they around when security checks your luggage. People seem to think if they tip the porters generously that it will improve your chances of getting banned items on board. That is not the case. All the porters do is deposit your luggage into a luggage cage that the dock workers then take to security and on to the ship. In Galveston I never leave my luggage with porters and instead take it directly to the luggage cage myself.

Hoppy McGee wrote:

Haha! Good to know for this year. Thanks! Guess it's just dumb-ass luck involved when getting contraband onbroad lol
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alkaloid-/-ALLEGAEON-/-Anciients-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Ash.Borer-/Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates-/-AUTOPSY-/-Barren.Earth-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Benighted-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Earth-/-Black.Fast-/-Blood.Incantation-/-Bloodhunter-/-Bolt.Thrower,(wishful.thinking)-/-Bölzer-/-Borknagar-/-Brymir-/-Cancer-/-Cannabis.Corpse-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Coffins-/-Cormorant-/Corrosion.of.Conformity-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-Cut.Up-/-Dark.Angel-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DAWN.OF.DISEASE-/-Daylight.Dies-/-Dead.Congregation-/-Damnation.Defaced-/-Death.Angel-/-Decapitated-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-Desultory.(more.wishful.thinking)/-DISMEMBER.(wishful.thinking.that's.actually.possible.now!!!)-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-Dying.Fetus-/-Dyscarnate-/-Emperor-/-Enforcer-/-Entombed-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-/-Feral-/-FINNTROLL-/-Firespawn-/-Flotsam.&.Jetsam-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorguts-/-Gorod-/-Grand.Magus-/-Grave-/-Grave.Miasma-/-Graveworm-/-Gruesome-/-Gutter.Instinct-/-Hallatar-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hate.Eternal-/-Hatesphere-/-Hath-/-Haunt-/-Hellbringer-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Ihsahn-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kadaver-/-Kaoteon-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-Magic.Circle-/-Magoth-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-Miasmal-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-Morta.Skuld-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Phlebotomized-/-Power.Trip-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Profanal-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Replacaire-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-Sacrifice-/-SATAN-/-Satyricon-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-Suffocation-/-Sulphur-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Tau.Cross-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Terrorizer-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-The.Lurking.Fear-/-The.Wretched.End-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Vampire-/-Vanum-/-Vektor-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Vesperia-/-Vredehammer-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Booze in luggage made it onbroad last year. I think they don't really care to search us considering how much we drink anyways :lol:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm

biertroll wrote:Booze in luggage made it onbroad last year. I think they don't really care to search us considering how much we drink anyways :lol:

really? At the security check point there was just copious amounts of liquor being confiscated.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:20 pm

metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    biertroll wrote:Booze in luggage made it onbroad last year. I think they don't really care to search us considering how much we drink anyways :lol:

really? At the security check point there was just copious amounts of liquor being confiscated.

Do you mean broading? I would think it was badly hidden in the carry on luggage and some stuff I saw was open, like someone didn't finish it in time :cheers:

Deck ? 2020
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 pm

biertroll wrote:
    metalmaciejmetal wrote:

Do you mean broading? I would think it was badly hidden in the carry on luggage and some stuff I saw was open, like someone didn't finish it in time :cheers:

yeah boarding whatever that thing is called when you enter the ship. THe thing to do with a perfectly good bottle of whiskey is pass it back to the people in line, let everyone take a swing until the bottle is empty.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:43 pm

biertroll wrote:
    metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    biertroll wrote:

yeah boarding whatever that thing is called when you enter the ship. THe thing to do with a perfectly good bottle of whiskey is pass it back to the people in line, let everyone take a swing until the bottle is empty.

Spread the love and the sickness! :D
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

Resurrecting this thread for the newbies.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Save these guys for 2021, Andy.
  • stevep52
    Oiler

by stevep52 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am

Does anyone know if they sell the 5 hour energy drinks onboard? Trying to determine if I need to bring my own.
  • Post Reply 410 posts