Post Reply 9 posts Page 1 of 1
Forcing yourself to like bands onbroad
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

Forcing yourself to like bands onbroad

by Castroh » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm already stoked to see a few bands onbroad, but most of the other bands aren't really my cup of tea. I want to familiarize myself with as many bands as possible, so I've been forcing myself to listen to the other 70k bands that I really don't care for. I've also been extra lenient with my critiques of these bands just in case these non-announcements continue. Have you started forcing yourself to get into some bands onbroad that you didn't previously like due to the 4 months of silence by UMC?
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Forcing yourself to like bands onbroad

by Stained Class » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

No, I already like every band announced. I also have more to look forward to like all the concerts coming up, Noctis festival, PPUSA next year, etc.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:08 pm

No, i familiarize myself with them. If i dont like them, i go
    do something else.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

I am not nearly the metal/music know it all like most of you here. I thought I knew a lot--I don't. :lol:

Youtube and Facebook are obvious mediums. Kazaa and Napster were paramount in opening new music to me. I had a metal music station on my satellite TV systems and heard Iced Earth and HammerFall ( YES! FUCKING HAMMERFALL!! SUCK IT! ) and was hooked. I lived in a metal wasteland as far as buying metal music.

But, because I'm not a music snob, ( I\m a car snob ;) ) I\m open to so much , and am open to more styles/genres. Half the fun is discovering band that you may have disregarded/ignored etc/...and doesn't cost you a loonie!

I can even listen/tolerate some death metal. Look at me, I'm growing.

:pound:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:38 pm

If there's an announcement I'm not familiar with, I try to listen to one or two of their songs to see what they're like. Needless to say, thrash, power or folk metal is pretty much ruled out during the first song - with a few exceptions.
    You can call me elitist, but it all boils down to the fact that I've been listening to metal for around 30 years and pretty much know already what I like or hate. I do try out lots of new bands and genres that I'm not familiar with, so it's not just old school death metal and girlie bands that I listen to. I just don't usually give any band a second chance to impress me if I don't like it at all on the first spin.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

I am using lastfm and hear the festival radio.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 am

I usually hit YouTube for any band announced that I'm unfamiliar with. I try to give everyone a chance although some bands I just won't like. If I have nothing else going at the time, I may give even bands that I don't like a shot on the ship. Some bands that don't grab me on album can be really good live. The last couple of cruises we've tried to catch at least one or two songs from every band that played but it's tough to do and requires a bit too much running around.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 am

I have a three song rule with the exception of non-melodic death. I find all too often the first song or two I grab off of Youtube might suck, but the band itself is good. Sometimes I know it's good on the first try. If something hits me in a neutral area, I'll add it to the listening rotation to see if it grows on me by the cruise. Not really "forcing" but it is repeated exposure to something I'm not a fan of with the intent of learning to like it, so... I guess so?
    Still, if a band turns me right off on the first song it might not get the 3 song treatment. And if it can't impress me on some axis in 3, it's probably not going to get another chance after that unless I accidentally end up at a show that changes my mind or something.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 am

Youtube is my main source as well. I usually don't do it enough though. Unless I'm already a fan who knows all the songs, I often don't get too much enjoyment out of the live performances due to the shoddy quality of the speakers.
Post Reply 9 posts Page 1 of 1