Post Reply 20 posts Page 1 of 1
Metal Covenant interview w/Thomas Youngblood
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

Metal Covenant interview w/Thomas Youngblood

by meshuggah » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:42 am

Tobbe: Two years ago you played the 70000 Tons Of Metal cruise and you were confirmed for next year's edition as well [Departure: January 27th]. Now you've cancelled your appearance. Why is that?

Thomas: We never confirmed it.

Tobbe: You never did?

Thomas: No, it was never confirmed from us. It was confirmed on their page.

Tobbe: Yes, it's been on their website for like six months.

Thomas: Yeah, we tried to contact them over the last four months. With phone calls, e-mails and no one ever got back to us, so finally we had to let the fans know that we're not gonna be there.

Tobbe: I've browsed the forums on that and there they're not too happy with what's happening.

Thomas: Hey, you know it's like, when you try to work things out with the promoters and they don't wanna reply to the band with details about the show, what do you gonna do? And also, right now it's November and they are not really putting any kind of information out about the cruise, so I would be worried about the thing even happening.

Tobbe: Yes, a lot of people are. They spend a lot of money on this and some save an entire year for this cruise and now they don't know if it's happening or not.

Thomas: But it's good experience. Also if you buy a ticket for something like that, it's like you shouldn't buy it for just one band. I mean, if somebody did for Kamelot I'd think it's awesome though. It's one of those things where we had a personal scheduling conflict that could not be avoided, so like I said we were contacting the promoter about it and nobody got back to us, so we had to make sure that at least the fans knew about it.

Tobbe: I was a little curious because I was there two times and I was thinking about going next year as well, but since nothing happens I will just wait and see.

Thomas: I would definitely wait 'til more bands are announced.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Metal Covenant interview w/Thomas Youngblood

by bodomdragon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:38 am

Amazing, Andy. If that's the way things are managed in UMC's headquarters there's no way we're getting 40 good bands onboard. I won't even believe bands such as Carcass or Symphony X are in until THEY make it official.

Please start working professionally... clock's ticking.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    Fa MetalKween
    Oiler

by Fa MetalKween » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:29 am

TOXIC HOLOCAUST - LICH KING - SUICIDAL TENDENCIES - MUNICIPAL WASTE - OBITUARY - AUTOPSY - DARK ANGEL - DESTRUCTION
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 am

To be fair, this could have been a communication fail from Kamelot's end as well. We've only heard one side.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:52 am

Stained Class wrote:To be fair, this could have been a communication fail from Kamelot's end as well. We've only heard one side.

"Yeah, we tried to contact them over the last four months. With phone calls, e-mails and no one ever got back to us, so finally we had to let the fans know that we're not gonna be there."

For some reason I find that extremely easy to believe. And of course we haven't heard the other side. We never do :)
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:27 pm

How will andy face us in Janurary??
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Hopefully now that it's out there someone will confront him in the press.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Stained Class wrote:Hopefully now that it's out there someone will confront him in the press.

Hopefully
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Stained Class wrote:Hopefully now that it's out there someone will confront him in the press.

Yes, it's time to hear Andy's side of this. If all Youngblood says is true, then the negativity towards Andy is all legitimate. I hope it's not, and that Andy has a valid excuse for what's been (or more to the point NOT been) going on.
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:46 am

I bet that press conference held at the beginning of the voyage will have some really awkward moments.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:To be fair, this could have been a communication fail from Kamelot's end as well. We've only heard one side.

"Yeah, we tried to contact them over the last four months. With phone calls, e-mails and no one ever got back to us, so finally we had to let the fans know that we're not gonna be there."

For some reason I find that extremely easy to believe. And of course we haven't heard the other side. We never do :)

+1 ... I can almost read the answer (if there was one): Hi Kamelot! we are happy to have you on board for 70000 TONS OF METAL 2014 The biggest... blah blah blah in the world .. blah blah blah .. stay tuned for more details about the shows Soon!

in the other hand I remember Kamelot was one of the bands looking kind of boring or annoyed almost all the time on 2012 (except for Fabio) .. I can see it clearly on the videos from my own camera.. most of the bands drinking, having so much fun an they where kind of different mood.
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:36 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:I bet that press conference held at the beginning of the voyage will have some really awkward moments.

Hahahaha, that's very true.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    AmelieM
    Petty Officer

by AmelieM » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Now I wouldn't want to call Thomas a liar because he's a really nice guy and has always been very friendly to me but...

This: http://metalasfuck.net/zine/articles/2013/kamelot-exceeding-expectations

It's been busy days of late – you're currently on a world tour promoting the band’s latest album Silverthorn and the recruitment of a new vocalist, how is it all going so far? “It’s all going really great, its going very fast but I can’t complain, we have been making this latest album for over three years, so we plan to tour throughout 2013. We are actually planning 2014 already”. [Laughs] Care to give us any clues? “Sure, we’ve signed on for 70,000 tons of metal as well as a few other summer festivals in Europe; during all this time we hope to get some great footage for the next DVD”.

They had agreed to do it. Thomas had even asked on his FB page who was going. But I guess for them "being confirmed" means "being paid".

However, he does tell the truth when he says they'd been trying to contact UMC since the summer.

On a more positive note (from this morning):
    Alestorm-/-Amon-Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Be'lakor-/-Dark-Tranquillity-/-Edguy-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Gloryhammer-/-Gojira-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Ophaned-Land-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Kamelot-/-Kataklysm-/-Sabaton-/-Septic-Flesh-/-Seventh-Wonder-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Therion-/-Wintersun
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:14 pm

thx, Amélie! good to know!
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 pm

AmelieM wrote:Now I wouldn't want to call Thomas a liar because he's a really nice guy and has always been very friendly to me but...

This: http://metalasfuck.net/zine/articles/2013/kamelot-exceeding-expectations

It's been busy days of late – you're currently on a world tour promoting the band’s latest album Silverthorn and the recruitment of a new vocalist, how is it all going so far? “It’s all going really great, its going very fast but I can’t complain, we have been making this latest album for over three years, so we plan to tour throughout 2013. We are actually planning 2014 already”. [Laughs] Care to give us any clues? “Sure, we’ve signed on for 70,000 tons of metal as well as a few other summer festivals in Europe; during all this time we hope to get some great footage for the next DVD”.

They had agreed to do it. Thomas had even asked on his FB page who was going. But I guess for them "being confirmed" means "being paid".

However, he does tell the truth when he says they'd been trying to contact UMC since the summer.

On a more positive note (from this morning):

thanks Amelie!
    .. it's a shame that now we got to do all this detective stuff for every band announced .. to be sure if they would be there or not
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:31 pm

That Youngblood quote just helps confirm my opinion of him :P

Kinda glad they are no longer on broad - especially if Andy is able to replace them with a band of similar quality that I've not seen live before :)

And yay for D.T. I'd be a bit upset if they were no longer on broad (but, only a little bit as they will be touring Australia in March anyway heheehe)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:19 pm

As for Andy getting 40 good bands, for me in the 3 years the most has been 15! So no worries there.
    As long as there are 15 good bands the rest can be garage bands.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    mindgrind
    Petty Officer

by mindgrind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 pm

everyone please, just keep me informed of the bands thanks ;)
    2019 - Deck 2
    2018 - Deck 10
    2017 - Deck 7
    2016 -
    2015 - Deck 9
    2014 - Deck 4
    2013 - Deck 3
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 6
    2011 - Deck 7
    mindgrind
    Petty Officer