Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1
The Photo Pit
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

The Photo Pit

by Dimma » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 am

First 3 songs, max, then get out and earn your captures the old fashioned way.

It's not your right to stand in front of punters for entire sets waiting for the 'money shot'.

And to those whose sole camera is a smart phone or ipad that get photo passes, you're just taking the piss.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

Re: The Photo Pit

by Ingrid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 am

3 Songs, no flash :cool:

And if it's really crowded, same sollution as most European festivals have: 2 groups, 2 songs for each group
    www.metal-exposure.com
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:42 am

Dimma wrote:First 3 songs, max, then get out and earn your captures the old fashioned way.

It's not your right to stand in front of punters for entire sets waiting for the 'money shot'.

And to those whose sole camera is a smart phone or ipad that get photo passes, you're just taking the piss.

TESTIFY BROTHER!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    surfslamdive
    Oiler

by surfslamdive » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:46 am

Dimma wrote:First 3 songs, max, then get out and earn your captures the old fashioned way.

+1. I never understood why people would spend half of a band's set in front of the barrier...
  • Soundchaser
    Petty Officer

by Soundchaser » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:37 am

3x1 Song, anytime during the set (all at once or self chosen)

that's something the cruise is also "famous" for, to enter the pit anytime, not as everywhere else onyl the first songs.
    Will also get more variety in pictures for the different magazines for us.
    No Smartphones or tabs in the pit, only "real" cameras.
    70kt Survivor: 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2020 / 2024
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 am

Exactly. Especially in the Spectrum it's ridiculous to have photographers in the way the whole time
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 pm

So photographers are in front of all of us who are actually at the show, so they can take pictures which we can look at of the show we couldn't see because they were in front of us. HMMMMMMM.
    D.T. Metal
    Crewman

by D.T. Metal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:56 pm

As one of those who usually stands in your way I agree to some point and I actually try to take care of business during one or 1.5 songs at the most.

First 3 songs won't work since there are WAY to many photog on broad. Having two groups like at some bigger festivals looks nice on paper but the photo pits are usually bigger at festivals and can accommodate more - again, not really working on 70K. I believe at the Spectrum most of us were either on our knees or sitting to not stand in peoples way; I didn't see an issue there. But with all this being said ...

I felt that the pit-etiquette went down the drain this year. Some of my "colleagues" were in the photo pit during the ENTIRE set! REALLY? If it takes you 45minutes to take some pictures of a band playing you clearly don't belong there.
    Totally agree with soundchaser about the "real cameras" - No DSLR = no photo-pit. I have no issue with another musician or a wife/girlfriend or anybody with a priority (green) wristband being there to take some pics or video but if you only have a smartphone or point 'n shoot camera you don't need to be occupying the pit for the entire set. Got it, you have press credentials and need some pictures for your online content. Request stock photos from UMC since most of us have to send them pics without our watermark for general use anyway.

I know this might sound harsh but standing in front of all the fans is a privilege NOT a right but sadly some apparently thought: "oh great, I can see band X up close for the entire set".

But on the other hand, Andy wants to make the cruise not only fan friendly but media friendly as well and that's why there is no "3 songs-no flash" rule. I guess we all have to take the good with the bad and hopefully one of these days there will be a standard for photog on the cruise.

Looking forward to next year :deathhorns: and if I blocked your view during one of the set's - I am sorry.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Mate - you were one of the good ones :) Whenever I saw you in the pit, you were the utmost professional. Always being sure to stay out of view as much as possible, never in the face of the artists, never there for the whole set.

But yes, I observed some terribly unprofessional behaviour of the 'official' photographers. There for the whole set, just standing there and watching from the photo pit, using iphones, holding up cameras right in the face of singers and using the flash(!).....

So not cool.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Maybe next year we should take photos of the photographers using iPhones/blocking our view? Some kind of accountability?
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 pm

X-Thor wrote:Maybe next year we should take photos of the photographers using iPhones/blocking our view? Some kind of accountability?

I LIKE IT!!

Then when they share their photos expecting positive comments to inflate their ego, they get inundated with comments like "HEY! You're the dickhead that blocked my view the entire set!!!"

:headbanger:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    surfslamdive
    Oiler

by surfslamdive » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:18 pm

D.T. Metal wrote:As one of those who usually stands in your way I agree to some point and I actually try to take care of business during one or 1.5 songs at the most.

First 3 songs won't work since there are WAY to many photog on broad. Having two groups like at some bigger festivals looks nice on paper but the photo pits are usually bigger at festivals and can accommodate more - again, not really working on 70K. I believe at the Spectrum most of us were either on our knees or sitting to not stand in peoples way; I didn't see an issue there. But with all this being said ...

I felt that the pit-etiquette went down the drain this year. Some of my "colleagues" were in the photo pit during the ENTIRE set! REALLY? If it takes you 45minutes to take some pictures of a band playing you clearly don't belong there.
    Totally agree with soundchaser about the "real cameras" - No DSLR = no photo-pit. I have no issue with another musician or a wife/girlfriend or anybody with a priority (green) wristband being there to take some pics or video but if you only have a smartphone or point 'n shoot camera you don't need to be occupying the pit for the entire set. Got it, you have press credentials and need some pictures for your online content. Request stock photos from UMC since most of us have to send them pics without our watermark for general use anyway.

I know this might sound harsh but standing in front of all the fans is a privilege NOT a right but sadly some apparently thought: "oh great, I can see band X up close for the entire set".

But on the other hand, Andy wants to make the cruise not only fan friendly but media friendly as well and that's why there is no "3 songs-no flash" rule. I guess we all have to take the good with the bad and hopefully one of these days there will be a standard for photog on the cruise.

Looking forward to next year :deathhorns: and if I blocked your view during one of the set's - I am sorry.

Definitely agree with you on this one. I'm pretty sure I was one of the faster photographers and at least one security guy mentioned it to that effect. Go in. Get your photos. Get out. Enjoy the rest of the show (or move on to your next band to photograph). The photo pit is for taking photos, not taking in the band up close without anyone pushing or shoving into you.
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am

cowboy71 wrote:holding up cameras right in the face of singers and using the flash(!).....

So not cool.

The guy almost shoving his flash down Dianne's throat during Xandria's second set was especially annoying :evil:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:24 am

Speedy wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:holding up cameras right in the face of singers and using the flash(!).....

So not cool.

The guy almost shoving his flash down Dianne's throat during Xandria's second set was especially annoying :evil:

EXACTLY the guy I was talking about!! :evil:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 am

There was a guy who videotaped complete Shows out of the Pit....
    http://www.youtube.com/user/generichrist/videos
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    MLH
    Crewman

by MLH » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 am

I don't care too much about the ppl taking pics at the front there. If they cause problems its pretty much the organizers fault and on most festivals it works just fine. Didn't really pay attention to what happened at that section on the previous cruise. So guess it wasnt that big of an issue.

On the other hand, i fucking hate the general mass of crowds holding their shitty phones in air taking some shit-quality ear-breaking footage and blocking the view on top of that, instead of interacting with the band and other ppl at the crowd. Yeah i understand taking a pic or 2 occasionally but I've seen ppl hold fucking ipads up to take footage. What next? I'll go buy biggest laptop or flat screen TV with integrated cam in it and drag it to the next gig i'm going, to be one of the cool kids.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Lala wrote:There was a guy who videotaped complete Shows out of the Pit....
    http://www.youtube.com/user/generichrist/videos

I am way more okay with this than I am the photographers though.

I'm just sad he didn't get any shows I wanted to see ;-)
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Agreed bro!!!!!
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

MLH wrote:What next? I'll go buy biggest laptop or flat screen TV with integrated cam in it and drag it to the next gig i'm going, to be one of the cool kids.

How about this? :D :roll:

Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 pm

I agree. Must say that I stayed for the last Symphony X set because I knew the girls would be brought on stage at the end and did not want to miss that haha.
    Now if only some bands would be nice enought to give us some good lighting during the first three songs instead of at the end of the set, that would be killer! :P
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:20 am

At PPM Fest last weekend the photo pit was only open for the first three songs for any band. After that all photographers had to get out.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:55 am

Never had any issue with photographers on the two I went on, so I can't really say much on this.
    However, I do agree that it seems rather silly for a photographer of any kind to spend a whole set trying to take pictures.
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 am

Speedy wrote:At PPM Fest last weekend the photo pit was only open for the first three songs for any band. After that all photographers had to get out.

That is normal policy for almost every show I have worked concert security at.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    D.T. Metal
    Crewman

by D.T. Metal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 am

Speedy wrote:At PPM Fest last weekend the photo pit was only open for the first three songs for any band. After that all photographers had to get out.

See my post earlier in the thread. While this is industry standard, it wouldn't work on 70K since the photo pits are way smaller than on festivals.

The last couple of years we had about 100+ media folks on the boat. Let's say half of them are writers only, which leaves about 50 or so folks with cameras. Imagine having us all in the photo pit in the smaller Spectrum type lounge at the same time. Or the theaters for that matter. The pit had to be bigger to accommodate us all which would take space away from the viewing area. Not feasible on a boat.
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 am

D.T. Metal wrote:

See my post earlier in the thread. While this is industry standard, it wouldn't work on 70K since the photo pits are way smaller than on festivals.

The last couple of years we had about 100+ media folks on the boat. Let's say half of them are writers only, which leaves about 50 or so folks with cameras. Imagine having us all in the photo pit in the smaller Spectrum type lounge at the same time. Or the theaters for that matter. The pit had to be bigger to accommodate us all which would take space away from the viewing area. Not feasible on a boat.

Could always rotate you guys, let a few go at a time for a couple of songs.
    Bands do play two sets as well so you have two chances to get live pics.

In any case, don't know how it all works just thought I'd throw that out there.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 am

I barely notice the people in the photo pit... I'm usually at an edge of the mosh pit so it doesn't bother me.

BUT I do understand how it can be annoying, and I agree that there should be more rules as to how long you can be taking pictures etc..

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1