Post Reply 118 posts
Quick questions for survivors!
  • User avatar
    ANTIKRISS
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 pm
    Location: Montréal, Québec.
    Contact:

    Quick questions for survivors!

    by ANTIKRISS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am

    Hey survivors, I have 2 quick questions for you.

    1. What is the best part of the cruise?
    2. What is the worst part of the cruise? (You can't say "When it's over, or you pay me a beer in 2015!)
    For The Horde!
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 am

    The best part of the cruise is most definitely the people you meet. For some reason this cruise has created so many more friendships than any other fest that I regular. Usually at fests I make one or two good friends and I see them year after year but through this cruise I've made literally hundreds of great friends.

    The worst part...there's almost nothing bad about it. I suppose the boat rocking on the way back from Mexico this year put a bit of a damper on things. A lot of people got sea sick and they had to close the pool stage because of the weather. Also, if you aren't a fan of drunken shenanigans you might get a little annoyed by some of the craziness that happened this year. In the end the boat is big enough that that shouldn't ruin your time at all.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    SHMILY123
    Oiler
    Posts: 29
    Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:51 pm

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by SHMILY123 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:49 am

    I'll chime in here as someone who went on the cruise the first time (2013) somewhat reluctantly. I went totally for my husband, who I knew would LOVE it. I, however, was pretty much scared to death. In the end, it was an absolutely awesome experience, and we've decided to go again this year. I'd say the best part about it is that you can make the trip your own. You can go to as many or as few shows as you want...there are plenty of other things to do. You can interact with people, or keep totally to yourself. The trip can be whatever you want to make it. Everyone is there to have an awesome time and enjoy themselves. I can honestly say that I didn't have anything remotely close to a "bad" experience on our trip. I'm not a fan of drunk shenanigans, and this was not an issue for me at all. :) If you're on the fence about going, I would highly recommend it...I think you'll really enjoy!
  • User avatar
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1772
    Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 am
    Location: Fond du Lac/Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Azazel101 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:37 am

    1. Their is really not anything I do not like about the cruise.
    2 . If I have to answer this question it would be" it has kinda made me not like going to concerts anymore.
    Ok, let me start over.
    2. Worst part would be the bands do not get to bring their normal stage props.
    1. Best part. The people you meet? The freedom Rocks! band members you get to have a drink with? The lock on your room? The great staff? This list will go on for hours so I will stop now
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • User avatar
    Samhain
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm
    Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Samhain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am

    The best thing is the whole experience. Waking up with a wicked hangover and grinning like an idiot in spite of it as you remember the night before. Walking onto the Pool Deck at noon with a coffee in hand, being blinded by the Caribbean sun and deafened by the blaring metal… and suddenly realizing your hangover is gone and you're ready to keep rocking… FOR FOUR DAYS.

    My least favourite aspect about the cruise is not having enough time to see every band or hang out with every person that I'd like to. Next year, if time permits, I'm going down early to hang out with folks prior to the cruise.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

    Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • User avatar
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 pm
    Location: Spijkcity!! - The Netherlands

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am

    Best part:
    Meeting New Friends. I well remember the maiden voyage.
    I was sitting in a chair, drinking a beer and just watch everybody.
    Then a guy walks who gives my a questioning look. And asks me if i'm tim
    I also reconized him as someone from the forum and pulled up a chair and we got to talking
    Before we knew it we were with like 20 people all from the forum getting to know one another
    The fun part after that were the shennanigans we pulled.

    Worst part:
    It takes a year before you see those crazy fucks again when the cruise is over
    Hah! I still said it, if you want a beer come find me. I'll be the one with great blowing horn
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

    what the hell did you do this winter?
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm
    Location: Squamish, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

    I'm with Joey on the first point, the amount of new friends you'll make is absurd compared to any other festival. That said, as a survivor, my favorite part now is reuniting with those people after a year and not missing a beat.

    Worst part for me is the "Calvins" of the world. As much as they may be enjoying themselves, they're bound to do something horribly idiotic that effects everybody else's enjoyment of whatever is happening at the time.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • User avatar
    Samhain
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm
    Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Samhain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:07 am

    klons wrote:Worst part for me is the "Calvins" of the world. As much as they may be enjoying themselves, they're bound to do something horribly idiotic that effects everybody else's enjoyment of whatever is happening at the time.


    ^dude, this. I had never experienced this sort of thing onboard 70K until this year… it was really uncomfortable.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

    Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • User avatar
    biertroll
    Midshipman
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, NV
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by biertroll » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 am

    Samhain wrote:The best thing is the whole experience. Waking up with a wicked hangover and grinning like an idiot in spite of it as you remember the night before. Walking onto the Pool Deck at noon with a coffee in hand, being blinded by the Caribbean sun and deafened by the blaring metal… and suddenly realizing your hangover is gone and you're ready to keep rocking… FOR FOUR DAYS.

    My least favourite aspect about the cruise is not having enough time to see every band or hang out with every person that I'd like to. Next year, if time permits, I'm going down early to hang out with folks prior to the cruise.

    This, perfectly put.

    I would say the end is the worst part but if Andy keeps up with the transition from Cruise to PCD to Announcements at its current rate and keeps the excitement buzzing for us all year leading up to the cruise again, we really won't have much to complain about. :headbanger:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

    Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • User avatar
    biertroll
    Midshipman
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, NV
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by biertroll » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 am

    Samhain wrote:
    klons wrote:Worst part for me is the "Calvins" of the world. As much as they may be enjoying themselves, they're bound to do something horribly idiotic that effects everybody else's enjoyment of whatever is happening at the time.


    ^dude, this. I had never experienced this sort of thing onboard 70K until this year… it was really uncomfortable.

    Who is this?
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

    Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm
    Location: Squamish, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 am

    biertroll wrote:
    Samhain wrote:
    klons wrote:Worst part for me is the "Calvins" of the world. As much as they may be enjoying themselves, they're bound to do something horribly idiotic that effects everybody else's enjoyment of whatever is happening at the time.


    ^dude, this. I had never experienced this sort of thing onboard 70K until this year… it was really uncomfortable.

    Who is this?


    Sam, be happy you weren't around (at least I don't recall seeing you) while we were docked in Mexico. I'm sure you've heard the stories though.

    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • User avatar
    biertroll
    Midshipman
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 pm
    Location: Las Vegas, NV
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by biertroll » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 am

    klons wrote:
    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.

    :shock: Someone must've forgot where his cabin was.

    I was on the deck when we were docked, I'm glad I didn't see this.
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

    Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • User avatar
    Samhain
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm
    Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Samhain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 am

    klons wrote:
    Sam, be happy you weren't around (at least I don't recall seeing you) while we were docked in Mexico. I'm sure you've heard the stories though.

    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.


    I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

    Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by X-Thor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 am

    The best part about the cruise is definitely getting to know so many awesome people from all over the world. To ellaborate a bit more, the "70K community" is the frendliest most-open group of people I've ever seen. This makes the cruise a very unique thing, since everyone is happy and friendly. Hell, this guy Calvin was buying drinks to random people (including me).

    Oh, and don't miss the karaoke.

    The worst part is that you'll rarely enjoy shows out of the boat again. :shock:

    Another bad thing is that you'll NEVER get to see all the bands you want, and you'll have to make some difficult choices.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm
    Location: Erickson, Manitoba

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by acidbasement » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

    Samhain wrote:I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!


    That is nasty. I mean, that's sexual assault right there. The kind where you go to jail. The cruise company must have policies for dealing with creeps like this, don't they? A lockup area in case of violent perverts?
    Skoden. Stoodis.
  • User avatar
    ANTIKRISS
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 211
    Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:01 pm
    Location: Montréal, Québec.
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by ANTIKRISS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 am

    acidbasement wrote:
    Samhain wrote:I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!


    That is nasty. I mean, that's sexual assault right there. The kind where you go to jail. The cruise company must have policies for dealing with creeps like this, don't they? A lockup area in case of violent perverts?


    That's called, THE SEA man (no word play here...)
    For The Horde!
  • User avatar
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 610
    Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm
    Location: Erickson, Manitoba

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by acidbasement » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 am

    Keelhaul 'im.
    Skoden. Stoodis.
  • User avatar
    Speedy
    Ensign
    Posts: 1400
    Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am
    Location: Trondheim, Norway

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Speedy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 am

    acidbasement wrote:
    Samhain wrote:I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!


    That is nasty. I mean, that's sexual assault right there. The kind where you go to jail. The cruise company must have policies for dealing with creeps like this, don't they? A lockup area in case of violent perverts?

    Word is that he did spend some time in the brig.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

    International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:32 am

    Speedy wrote:
    acidbasement wrote:
    Samhain wrote:I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!


    That is nasty. I mean, that's sexual assault right there. The kind where you go to jail. The cruise company must have policies for dealing with creeps like this, don't they? A lockup area in case of violent perverts?

    Word is that he did spend some time in the brig.

    Yeah I heard he did but they let him out cus he was spending like a grand a day. I guess they thought he would learn his lesson or something.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by X-Thor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 am

    As far as I know, he was in "detention" because of indecent exposure (tossing a salad in the pool deck). I don't think anyone actually accused him of sexual assault to any authority, so it makes sense to just do some time in the brig.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm
    Location: Squamish, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm

    X-Thor wrote:As far as I know, he was in "detention" because of indecent exposure (tossing a salad in the pool deck). I don't think anyone actually accused him of sexual assault to any authority, so it makes sense to just do some time in the brig.


    He got tossed because he threw a beer bottle in the pool
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • User avatar
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2891
    Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am
    Location: Mexico City, Mexico
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by X-Thor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:39 pm

    klons wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:As far as I know, he was in "detention" because of indecent exposure (tossing a salad in the pool deck). I don't think anyone actually accused him of sexual assault to any authority, so it makes sense to just do some time in the brig.


    He got tossed because he threw a beer bottle in the pool


    :shock:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

    In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

    Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • User avatar
    Liv
    Oiler
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:30 pm
    Location: Ottawa, Canada

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Liv » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:59 pm

    klons wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:As far as I know, he was in "detention" because of indecent exposure (tossing a salad in the pool deck). I don't think anyone actually accused him of sexual assault to any authority, so it makes sense to just do some time in the brig.


    He got tossed because he threw a beer bottle in the pool


    That sucks. The ship staff have told me many times how the cruisers on 70k are some of the nicest, easiest, and, most polite customers to deal with. It's a shame that somebody has to stain that reputation.
    70K 2013 Survivor

    70k 2014 Survivor
  • User avatar
    magicgrl111
    Oiler
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm
    Location: San Francisco, California
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by magicgrl111 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 pm

    Best part of the cruise: all the amazing music
    Worst part of the cruise: Not enough time to sleep and eat
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

    2015: Room 9682
  • User avatar
    magicgrl111
    Oiler
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm
    Location: San Francisco, California
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by magicgrl111 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:11 pm

    Samhain wrote:
    klons wrote:
    Sam, be happy you weren't around (at least I don't recall seeing you) while we were docked in Mexico. I'm sure you've heard the stories though.

    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.


    I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!



    Seriously, this guy tried to motorboat me and was extremely rude every time I interacted with him. He was lewd and just a general jerk. But honestly, every other guy I met on the ship was nothing short of a total gentleman. The metal community in general tends to be one of the most considerate group of people I've ever met. Sucks that this one loser had to be on board, but the rest of the awesome people totally made up for it.
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

    2015: Room 9682
  • User avatar
    magicgrl111
    Oiler
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm
    Location: San Francisco, California
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by magicgrl111 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm

    biertroll wrote:
    klons wrote:
    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.

    :shock: Someone must've forgot where his cabin was.

    I was on the deck when we were docked, I'm glad I didn't see this.


    We were on the deck together! I remember looking at Mexico with a fruity drink on our hands. Glad we were facing away from the pool deck so we didn't have to watch this mess.
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

    2015: Room 9682
  • User avatar
    cowboy71
    Commander
    Posts: 7706
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by cowboy71 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm

    Yeah there was a little bit more of a 'dickhead' element this year.

    Playing devil's advocate somewhat. I don't want to discourage n00bs or lower their expectations or anything. But not looking at the cruise through rose-coloured glasses there were a few 'bad' (or 'less good') things.

    WORST PART
    - Security. VERY over zealous this year. Pushing crowd-surfers down forcibly? Not cool
    - smoke machines. TOTALLY OVERUSED. So bad you could not see the band! From the front frakking row! Not cool. Plus - the smoke machines in addition to the OVER USED strobe lights gave me a killer migraine headache on the final night.
    - photographers in the photo pit for ENTIRE SETS. NOT. COOL. There was one guy who was front of stage the entire second Xandria set, holding his camera up in Dianne's face, AND USING THE FLASH!

    BEST PART
    - seeing bands that never tour Australia.
    - my friends/70k family. Hector, Joey, Jake, Marlo, Rob, Steve, Deb, Emily, Tim........ I could list a hundred names. You guys are all amazing, and I'll miss you all like hell if I cannot make 2015.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • User avatar
    Samhain
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:47 pm
    Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Samhain » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:46 pm

    magicgrl111 wrote:
    Samhain wrote:
    klons wrote:
    Sam, be happy you weren't around (at least I don't recall seeing you) while we were docked in Mexico. I'm sure you've heard the stories though.

    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.


    I've heard a few stories. That guy came up to me and my girlfriends in the line-up as we were boarding the ship and was shitfaced and being totally crude. Another friend (who was a first-timer) described this guy a few hours later and apparently he randomly tried to motorboat her. Totally unacceptable. He came up to us again during the cruise and one of the girls just lost her shit on him and he left… never had to deal with that before this year though!



    Seriously, this guy tried to motorboat me and was extremely rude every time I interacted with him. He was lewd and just a general jerk. But honestly, every other guy I met on the ship was nothing short of a total gentleman. The metal community in general tends to be one of the most considerate group of people I've ever met. Sucks that this one loser had to be on board, but the rest of the awesome people totally made up for it.


    Sadly enough, you were not the friend that mentioned this to me! Wow! This was my fourth year onboard 70K and I have never encountered someone like this guy before. Hopefully he's not coming back! Or…. I believe Alestorm has a song about this called "Keelhauled"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

    Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • User avatar
    alex_canada
    Ensign
    Posts: 1151
    Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm
    Location: Winnipeg

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by alex_canada » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:24 pm

    Lots of people seemed to know his name onbroad...is he on facebook?
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 pm
    Location: Squamish, BC
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm

    alex_canada wrote:Lots of people seemed to know his name onbroad...is he on facebook?


    Is it bad that I typed in "Calvin" and he was the first person to show up? Calvin Shocker.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • User avatar
    magicgrl111
    Oiler
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm
    Location: San Francisco, California
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by magicgrl111 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 pm

    klons wrote:
    alex_canada wrote:Lots of people seemed to know his name onbroad...is he on facebook?


    Is it bad that I typed in "Calvin" and he was the first person to show up? Calvin Shocker.



    Yep confirmed that is him.
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

    2015: Room 9682
  • User avatar
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2160
    Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:29 pm
    Location: Edmonton,Canada
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Jaimie38 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 pm

    Yes--uncomfortable for everyone. I was hoping someone would have slammed him in the Carcass pool deck set, as he was fobbling around banging into people. Even more sad, he's from my hometown. :(

    On the upside, I have yet to see him at ANY local metal show.


    Seriously, to all new cruisers--Don't stress about it at all. It's a completely different vibe/attitude from many of your local shows. Remember--it's a vacation! Love meeting people from around the world.

    Best Part--the people that I have met over the last 4 cruises. The initial welcoming of the Forum--I normally hate forums where people can spew what they want, be it fact,fiction,opinion and general bullying. I immediately felt welcomed and connected with so many people. There is sometimes too much stress in people's lives--work,family, death metal vs power metal, and this place became a solace. While we can never re-create the first time(s) we all met--not to sound elitist, this is the time for the "New Guard" to shine, enjoy and enhance all of our memories.

    Locally, we are getting more and more great tours, and proudly wear my 70 k gear. I used to think I was a metal fan. THESE MUTHAFUCKAS are metal fans-and the best kind.

    Worst Part- some of the bickering about types of bands,music taste, announcements, lack of announcements, too much folk metal, too much death metal, too much power metal :)

    Also. Fair warning. For the next year, your work/school productivity will plummet. Badly. Constantly checking the Forum and Facebook for updates, posts, videos, etc.

    UMC has put together a magic show. 4 years running. There are other cruises--ShitRock, Monsters of Cock, Motorboat,Prognation etc.
    Geez--Almost Laura length post :P
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicide Angels
  • User avatar
    cowboy71
    Commander
    Posts: 7706
    Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by cowboy71 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 pm

    Jaimie38 wrote:Also. Fair warning. For the next year, your work/school productivity will plummet. Badly. Constantly checking the Forum and Facebook for updates, posts, videos, etc.

    LOL. THIS!!!! oooooh so much this :D :givebeer:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman
    Posts: 806
    Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:54 pm
    Location: Las Vegas and Reno, NV

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Jotunheimr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm

    Jaimie38 wrote:too much folk metal


    Are you sure there's such a thing? ;)
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2021: Hmm...

    Wishlist: Arkona-/-Borknagar-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Necrophagist-/-Otyg-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Savatage-/-Skyforger-/-Solstafir-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Turisas-/-Varg
  • User avatar
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2810
    Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 pm
    Location: St Paul, Minnesota

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Sgt. B » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 pm

    Jotunheimr wrote:
    Jaimie38 wrote:too much folk metal


    Are you sure there's such a thing? ;)


    Yes there most definitely is. :P
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine


    2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • User avatar
    erkpod
    Oiler
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:16 pm
    Location: Sydney Australia
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by erkpod » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 pm

    Best: The people. Being able to see bands while in a hot tub. The hot tub. How easy going the ship crew are. The music. Did I mention the people? Accents. Telling people back home how awesome the cruise was & what I got up to.

    Worst: Buffet being closed during what would normally be a meal time. How long it took to deboat in Mexico (I missed my tour & the tour organising people made it out to be my fault). Not long enough in port. Going to a gig after the cruise & having none of the atmosphere. Almost every single band asking us if we are having a good time & are we drunk enough yet. Having to leave the Australian summer to get onbroad.
    70k Survivor 2013 & 2014.

    Survivor of 70000 Tons of Rain during 70000 Tons of Hot Tubbing in the Canadian spa on Thursday, 2014

    Please don't wear your 2015 Survivor merch before Jamaica! You haven't survived until you get back to FLL!!
  • User avatar
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1554
    Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 pm
    Location: Spijkcity!! - The Netherlands

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Dutchguy-Tim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:05 am

    Sgt. B wrote:
    Jotunheimr wrote:
    Jaimie38 wrote:too much folk metal


    Are you sure there's such a thing? ;)


    Yes there most definitely is. :P


    Nah. There isn't
    But just give me heidevolk and varg and as far as i am concerned the folk part is filled up. (or perhaps finntroll as one more)
    After that feel free to add some nice death, heavy, thrash and powermetalbands i havent seen before :-)
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

    what the hell did you do this winter?
  • User avatar
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 4804
    Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:03 pm
    Location: Hellsinki, Funland
    Contact:

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by Memnoch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:24 am

    Best thing: The cruise family, obviously.
    Worst thing: The more normal festival feel of the cruise. I think a lot of it can be blamed on the staff (RCCL). On all previous cruises they've made sure people wore their shoes and shirts to the dining areas, but this year no-one said anything. While it didn't bother me too much in the buffet, but people should have some decency when going to the main dining room. Pretty much the same goes for the normal festival costumes; there's a place for that and it's not the dining room. Other than that, and the Calvins on the boat, there seemed to be way less waiting staff on the pool deck and in the bars.

    I don't mean to scare anyone from going on the cruise, but it is a thing that's changed with the atmosphere, and will no doubt be changing in the future as well with new people coming to the cruise. And like we've seen in the earlier threads here on the forum, the change is welcomed by some, hated by some.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • NuuX
    Ensign
    Posts: 1153
    Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 am
    Location: Slovenia

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by NuuX » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:35 am

    X-Thor wrote:The best part about the cruise is definitely getting to know so many awesome people from all over the world. To ellaborate a bit more, the "70K community" is the frendliest most-open group of people I've ever seen. This makes the cruise a very unique thing, since everyone is happy and friendly. Hell, this guy Calvin was buying drinks to random people (including me).

    Oh, and don't miss the karaoke.

    The worst part is that you'll rarely enjoy shows out of the boat again. :shock:

    Another bad thing is that you'll NEVER get to see all the bands you want, and you'll have to make some difficult choices.


    I have yet to meet a forumite onbroad and I'll be going for the 4th time in 2015 :oops: :oops:

    The best part: you look around yourself, see the hot sun, calm sea and you say to yourself:"Back home, there's snow and cold and drizzle. IT'S JANUARY!" :cool: :cool: :cool:
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
  • User avatar
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 144
    Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:21 pm

    Re: Quick questions for survivors!

    by carlynjason » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 am

    only 1 cruise, best part
    it feels like going home to the place you think the world should be
    worst,
    being so drunk you cant find front from back on the boat and spend 2 hours staggering around like a tool (been there done that )
Post Reply 118 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests