Post Reply 118 posts
Quick questions for survivors!
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Quick questions for survivors!

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 am

Memnoch wrote:
    I don't mean to scare anyone from going on the cruise, but it is a thing that's changed with the atmosphere, and will no doubt be changing in the future as well with new people coming to the cruise. And like we've seen in the earlier threads here on the forum, the change is welcomed by some, hated by some.

I think with 33% more people on cruise 2015, there will be a further change in that atmosphere too.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:08 am

Best part
    Everything in comparison to a muddy and dusty land based festival. Comfortable bed, hot showers, nice food and drinks and plenty of choice. Random guy walking past and giving me a beer. Drinking, hanging out with guys in the hot tub for over an hour at 3am and not even realising they're band members, the fun times in Miami leading up to the cruise.

Worst part
    There are a few inconsiderate people who think they own the space around them, but that is a minor detail. Long wait to buy merchandise. Can't really think of anything bad to say about it, I've only been in 2012 but it was easily the best festival/vacation I've been on.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    erkpod
    Oiler

by erkpod » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:12 am

Conrad wrote: Long wait to buy merchandise.

Oh yeah, that was a big one for me. I saw the huge lines & I spoke to people who were spending 2-3 hours in line for merch. I don't see why you have to line up to browse at stuff. It would be like going to your mega store of choice on land & lining up just to go window shopping. The only time you should be lining up is when you select & pay for items, not to merely walk through the door.

The main merch I care about is the 70k stuff. Thankfully for the last 2 years, they had a smaller store on another level away from the main merch store. I didn't even walk into the main merch store in 2014.
    70k Survivor 2013 & 2014.

Survivor of 70000 Tons of Rain during 70000 Tons of Hot Tubbing in the Canadian spa on Thursday, 2014

Please don't wear your 2015 Survivor merch before Jamaica! You haven't survived until you get back to FLL!!
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 am

Waiting to buy official 70k merchandise is not necessary, because you can buy them from the webstore anyway. But some bands have cruise specific shirts that you can't get anywhere else, like in 2012 Candlemass 70,000 Tons of Doom Cruise shirt, which they only had small left by the time I got there, which only just barely fits but I bought it anyway.

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:32 am

NuuX wrote:I have yet to meet a forumite onbroad and I'll be going for the 4th time in 2015 :oops: :oops:

I have a signature on my Canadian flag that says different my friend :beerwink:

Best part (not previously mentioned): Talking up a storm to nearly every perfect stranger I met on the way home telling them about this incredibly new world I'd discovered :headbanger: :lol:

Worst part: Having nearly full blown, head-exploding anxiety attack and almost kicking a perfect stranger in the nads just for playing strange, heavy metal violin music 10 minutes before this - All Hands on Deck (Karaoke)
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    NuuX wrote:I have yet to meet a forumite onbroad and I'll be going for the 4th time in 2015 :oops: :oops:

i almost forgotten about the flag. that was awesome :-)
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am

Best part of the cruise for me is everything about it. I have been on 4 so far, and have made amazing friends over the years. It is such a wonderful feeling being surrounded by so many people who love the same things as you. Everyone is super awesome. I love being able to hang out with the bands and just always have a concert to go to. Its nice to be so close to everything exciting!

My least favorite part about the cruise is having conflicts in schedule where I have to miss parts of bands or full sets I'd want to see. I wish the cruise was 2 days longer so there could be more time in between bands so we don't have to rush around.

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 am

magicgrl111 wrote:
    biertroll wrote:
    klons wrote:
    Calvin... "Safety First", "fuck Mexico", idiot who threw a beer bottle into the pool. Apparently had spent over $2k little over half through the trip on liquor. To put bluntly, ate out somebody's ass on the pool deck while we were docked... MESSED UP.

:shock: Someone must've forgot where his cabin was.

I was on the deck when we were docked, I'm glad I didn't see this.

We were on the deck together! I remember looking at Mexico with a fruity drink on our hands. Glad we were facing away from the pool deck so we didn't have to watch this mess.

Selby!
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:34 am

meh
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magicgrl111
    Oiler

by magicgrl111 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 am

biertroll wrote:
    magicgrl111 wrote:
    biertroll wrote: :shock: Someone must've forgot where his cabin was.

I was on the deck when we were docked, I'm glad I didn't see this.

We were on the deck together! I remember looking at Mexico with a fruity drink on our hands. Glad we were facing away from the pool deck so we didn't have to watch this mess.

Selby!

Holly!! :-)
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

2015: Room 9682
    Mr.Kito
    Midshipman

by Mr.Kito » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 pm

X-Thor wrote:he worst part is that you'll rarely enjoy shows out of the boat again. :shock:

this
    2024 Wishlist: Accept-Ad.Infinitum-After.Forever-Alestorm-Amon.Amarth-Amorphis-Angra-Angus.McSix-Ankor-Annihilator-Arch.Enemy-Brainstorm-Bruce.Dickinson-Body.Count-Cradle.Of.Filth-Crypta-Chaoseum-Cynic-Danko.Jones-Dark.Lunacy-Dark.Tranquillity-Deathless.Legacy-Deathstars-Destruction-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-Dimmu.Borgir-Edguy-Edu.Falaschi-Equilibrium-Epica-Evergrey-Feuerschwanz-Final.Disaster-Frog.Leap-Grand.Magus-Gotthard-How.We.End-Infected.Rain-In.Flames-Insomnium-James.LaBrie-Jinjer-KKs.Priest-Kontrust-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Lacuna.Coil-Lords.Of.The.Lost-Megara-Mors.Principium.Est-Myrath-Nailbomb-Nanowar.Of.Steel-Nervosa-Nightwish-Onslaught-Overkill-Perzonal.War-Primal.Fear-Poisonblack-Psychostick-Queensryche-Rammstein-Raven.Black-Rotting.Christ-Reclaim.The.Silence-Sabaton-Saltatio.Mortis-Scar.Symmetry-Sepultura-Seven.Kingdoms-Solution.45-Slashy.Sue-Soilwork-Splintered.Halo-Spoil.Engine-Swashbuckle-Tarot-Testament-The.Dark.Side.Of.The.Moon-The.Halo.Effect-Torture.Squad-TrollFest-Tuatha.De.Danann-Turisas-Wind.Rose-Within.Temptation
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2018-Survivor
    2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2023- :(
    2021, 2022- F### CORONAVIRUS
    2024 - BOOKED!! :shred:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Mr.Kito wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:he worst part is that you'll rarely enjoy shows out of the boat again. :shock:

this

Not just shows, pretty much every aspect of life seems really dull after the cruise. Your life will become a series of countdowns to the next cruise.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Mr.Kito wrote:

this

Not just shows, pretty much every aspect of life seems really dull after the cruise. Your life will become a series of countdowns to the next cruise.

As of late, I've noticed I'm talking a LOT more to other cruisers than I am my friends that I can actually, you know, see in person. Don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one...
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Mr.Kito wrote:

this

The first show I went to see after the cruise was Dark Tranquility and I hadn't eaten before the show and for a second I actually thought that I could get pizza in the venue… nope. The post-cruise world is a sad, pizzaless disappointment :(
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 pm

Maybe you guys should go to some better shows, because, at least for me, none of the best shows I've seen have been on the boat. Ok, the first Nile set was pretty awesome, but mostly it's just way too laid back on the boat - which is the thing I love about it, but in no way does that mean there'll be good gigs onbroad.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:57 am

carlynjason wrote: being so drunk you cant find front from back on the boat and spend 2 hours staggering around like a tool (been there done that )

Yeah, actually you don't need to be drunk to get forward and aft mixed up (but it probably helps).
    It's happened to me stone-cold sober a time or three. ("Hey, shouldn't we be near the room by now-- ahh, crap, wrong side, wrong direction!") :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:

That is correct, sir. But only to a degree when there was a promise of 50+ forumites showing up for first breakfast and then something like 5 of us showed up ;) I guess the rest were a bit "tired" after the first night.
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 am

I agree with Memnoch in this case, some people need to get out more, go to more shows :P It's cool to see some favourite bands play in a unique location, but that doesn't necessarily make them better gigs, just different venue and atmosphere. Some of the bands I've seen on broad I've enjoyed their gigs on land more.

2019 Wishlist:
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:52 am

NuuX wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

That is correct, sir. But only to a degree when there was a promise of 50+ forumites showing up for first breakfast and then something like 5 of us showed up ;) I guess the rest were a bit "tired" after the first night.

yeah i remember that on the first cruise to
    with lulu slamming 3 bloody mary's down to get sober :lol:

• X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:56 am

Memnoch wrote:Maybe you guys should go to some better shows, because, at least for me, none of the best shows I've seen have been on the boat. Ok, the first Nile set was pretty awesome, but mostly it's just way too laid back on the boat - which is the thing I love about it, but in no way does that mean there'll be good gigs onbroad.

Conrad wrote:I agree with Memnoch in this case, some people need to get out more, go to more shows :P It's cool to see some favourite bands play in a unique location, but that doesn't necessarily make them better gigs, just different venue and atmosphere. Some of the bands I've seen on broad I've enjoyed their gigs on land more.

Maybe weenie shows are better on the boat?

I guess it's also part of the festival "environment". People are frendlier, moshing is funnier, you get to drink more... And nobody will pickpocket you and take your phone. :cry:

Sure, some shows are still awesome, but at least I stopped enjoying regular gigs without a lot of "energy" from the band.

I guess the cruise sets a high standard, so I became more "picky" about shows afterwards.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

Don't get me wrong I go to TONS of shows. But, Andy really tends to book bands that I'm in interested in and nothing beats the atmosphere on the boat.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am

Memnoch wrote:Maybe you guys should go to some better shows, because, at least for me, none of the best shows I've seen have been on the boat. Ok, the first Nile set was pretty awesome, but mostly it's just way too laid back on the boat - which is the thing I love about it, but in no way does that mean there'll be good gigs onbroad.

The vibe is obviously a lot more relaxed for the perfomers too--always smiling!!
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 am

X-Thor wrote:Maybe weenie shows are better on the boat?

I guess it's also part of the festival "environment". People are frendlier, moshing is funnier, you get to drink more... And nobody will pickpocket you and take your phone. :cry:

Sure, some shows are still awesome, but at least I stopped enjoying regular gigs without a lot of "energy" from the band.

I guess the cruise sets a high standard, so I became more "picky" about shows afterwards.

Aah, you're talking about the environment. It's obvious, the entire environment on the cruise is a million times better than any other festival or gigs, so I can see what you mean. But as far as the bands are concerned, and the gigs themselves, I don't think bands playing on the boat makes them perform any better. So for me at least, I enjoy the land and sea based shows equally, depending I guess on my mood or the atmosphere at the time, how the bands perform and the sound etc. For example I saw Candlemass both times on the boat, again at MetalDays and a 4th time at Wacken last year. Their Wacken show was by far the most enjoyable, and the highlight of the entire festival for me. Maybe had something to do with the fact I was cold, wet and miserable because it had been raining. It was a perfect night for doom anyhow.

2019 Wishlist:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Conrad wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Maybe weenie shows are better on the boat?

Aah, you're talking about the environment. It's obvious, the entire environment on the cruise is a million times better than any other festival or gigs, so I can see what you mean. But as far as the bands are concerned, and the gigs themselves, I don't think bands playing on the boat makes them perform any better. So for me at least, I enjoy the land and sea based shows equally, depending I guess on my mood or the atmosphere at the time, how the bands perform and the sound etc. For example I saw Candlemass both times on the boat, again at MetalDays and a 4th time at Wacken last year. Their Wacken show was by far the most enjoyable, and the highlight of the entire festival for me. Maybe had something to do with the fact I was cold, wet and miserable because it had been raining. It was a perfect night for doom anyhow.

I can see why the warm caribbean sun doesn't contribute to make an ideal doom metal scenario. :lol:

Having said that, I think the only bands I've seen on and off the boat are Gotthard, Helloween, Turisas, and Haggard. Well, I've seen Carcass, Flotsam and Jetsam, and Helstar in the cruise pre-parties, but I don't think they count.

Let's see:

Gotthard blew me away in Mexico City because I had barely heard of them before that. Even then, both of their shows on the boat were superb.

I had a lot of fun at Helloween's chorus line show and danced with everyone. The sound was awful, though. The pool deck set was better. All in all, I think the 2008 Hellish Rock tour was when I enjoyied Helloween the most.

I saw Turisas in march 2013, right after the cruise. The show was longer and they played more old songs, which was awesome. I would say the show was better than those on the boat, but someone pickpocketed my phone while dancing/moshing, so that show sucked. :P

Haggard's pool deck show was probably the best show I've seen in my entire life. I have a hard time thinking of any other time where I saw any kind of live musical performance and felt such an awe. It was just perfect. I had seen Haggard in 2009 and 2012, they were good, but nowhere near so good.

But yeah, I would say going to metal shows becomes much less enjoyable after the cruise, mostly because of the environment. However, some bands do outperform themselves on the boat and some others I will probably never see on this side of the Atlantic, so... Yeah.

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Mr.Kito wrote:

this

I have to respectfully disagree with all of the posts above. Like a few others have said, I attend a fair amount of music gigs (as well as other types of live performance events such as dance & theater mostly in and around my home town of Chicago), and with RARE exception I have an awesome time - whether it's partly or largely due to the particular band/set/performance, the people I'm with (friends, husband, kids, other relatives, or alone, which btw, I don't mind going to shows alone - sometimes I like being alone & almost prefer it in certain circumstances), the venue/sound/my seats and/or proximity to the stage) or any combo or all of those things mentioned.

And at the risk of sounding snarky (even though there is no ill will or true snarkiness meant on my part....especially to you Joey who made the "every aspect of life seems really dull after the cruise" comment)....it seems that some people place perhaps too much mental (and life) focus/emphasis on this particular event?

???
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Laura wrote:And at the risk of sounding snarky (even though there is no ill will or true snarkiness meant on my part....especially to you Joey who made the "every aspect of life seems really dull after the cruise" comment)....it seems that some people place perhaps too much mental (and life) focus/emphasis on this particular event?

While some seem to spend far too much time extolling the virtues of almost every other event they attend and how much better than 70K they are.

I sometimes wonder who they're trying to convince :P

(snarkiness intended) ;)

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 pm

So, I can see both sides of the '70k is the bestz0rs' as well as the 'other shows rawk moar!' argument.

From an Aussie's perspective, we have NO metal festivals here. So 70k rules in that regard. And I've been to a few European festivals (Rockwave in Greece, BYH in Germany, Sweden Rock), and 70k wins with the whole 2000 fans, 200 band members, 'everyone has a backstage pass' vibe.

So as a complete event, when you combine that with the friendships forged on broad and on the forum, the luxury of inclusive food, a bed you can lie down in that is always only 5 minutes away, well it cannot be beat.

As far as the ACTUAL gigs themselves? Still pretty cool - can easily get to the barrier for any show you want, much easier to get souveniers like picks and setlists, no bouncers hounding you for taking video or using a digital SLR.

BUT, shows rarely go to plan - lots of late starts, sound dramas, the strobe lights and smoke this year were shit, only a couple of 'headline length' sets.

As much as I loved Dark Tranquillity's two shows on broad this year, it was MUCH better to see them do a 90 minute set in my hometown last night.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:07 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Laura wrote:And at the risk of sounding snarky (even though there is no ill will or true snarkiness meant on my part....especially to you Joey who made the "every aspect of life seems really dull after the cruise" comment)....it seems that some people place perhaps too much mental (and life) focus/emphasis on this particular event?

While some seem to spend far too much time extolling the virtues of almost every other event they attend and how much better than 70K they are.

(snarkiness intended) ;)

Ha, I see what you did there.
    *sings...."when the snark bites"....*
    http://youtu.be/4Qrjtr_uFac
    (No snarkiness intended)

Oh, come on, Rob. I wager you have read enough from me to know that I think 70K is totally awesome & I definitely hold the 2011 & 2012 memories in my mind as *two* of many "peak-type" music (and other) experiences I've had in my lifetime. They're all great & special in their own way from The Ocean gig I saw just last Sunday in a divey small local club to Amon Amarth on the pool deck with the fog rolling in on the first 70K. In short, it's ALL good!

What utterly stopped me dead in my tracks (and made my jaw drop actually) when reading this thread was the stated notion that somehow one can't enjoy gigs as much post the 70K experience. Or the notion that somehow life afterwards is "dull" in comparison. In all fairness, perhaps some of what was said was somewhat tongue-in-cheek or exaggerated. I dunno.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    erkpod
    Oiler

by erkpod » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Mr.Kito wrote:

this

300 DAYS!
    70k Survivor 2013 & 2014.

Survivor of 70000 Tons of Rain during 70000 Tons of Hot Tubbing in the Canadian spa on Thursday, 2014

Please don't wear your 2015 Survivor merch before Jamaica! You haven't survived until you get back to FLL!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:35 pm

Come on Laura obviously I was exaggerating :P
    But, it is true for the first month or 2 following the cruise (Post Cruise Depression) and in all honesty I find myself not as excited to go to Europe as I am to go on the next cruise. Which seems odd because Europe is going to be a longer trip, more expensive, more bands, I've only been to Europe once while I've been on the cr, Europe is only a couple months away months away. But, the cruise really is THAT great. Also, as other people have mentioned, I find myself talking to fellow cruisers online than my friends in Calgary. Hector's post might have been worded a little strongly but I think he was exaggerating too ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:42 pm

X-Thor wrote:I can see why the warm caribbean sun doesn't contribute to make an ideal doom metal scenario. :lol

It was 2am on the pool deck of the first night. It was still the best show of the cruise for me though.

X-Thor wrote:I saw Turisas in march 2013, right after the cruise. The show was longer and they played more old songs, which was awesome. I would say the show was better than those on the boat, but someone pickpocketed my phone while dancing/moshing, so that show sucked. :P

You probably dropped it! It fell out of your pocket. :lol:

X-Thor wrote:Haggard's pool deck show was probably the best show I've seen in my entire life. I have a hard time thinking of any other time where I saw any kind of live musical performance and felt such an awe. It was just perfect. I had seen Haggard in 2009 and 2012, they were good, but nowhere near so good.

I believe you. Of the bands on that boat, Haggard would have been the one I wanted to see most, it would have been a magical show indeed! They're playing in Mexico again I think from the 19th to 21st June.

cowboy71 wrote:So, I can see both sides of the '70k is the bestz0rs' as well as the 'other shows rawk moar!' argument.

From an Aussie's perspective, we have NO metal festivals here. So 70k rules in that regard. And I've been to a few European festivals (Rockwave in Greece, BYH in Germany, Sweden Rock), and 70k wins with the whole 2000 fans, 200 band members, 'everyone has a backstage pass' vibe.

So as a complete event, when you combine that with the friendships forged on broad and on the forum, the luxury of inclusive food, a bed you can lie down in that is always only 5 minutes away, well it cannot be beat.

As far as the ACTUAL gigs themselves? Still pretty cool - can easily get to the barrier for any show you want, much easier to get souveniers like picks and setlists, no bouncers hounding you for taking video or using a digital SLR.

BUT, shows rarely go to plan - lots of late starts, sound dramas, the strobe lights and smoke this year were shit, only a couple of 'headline length' sets.

As much as I loved Dark Tranquillity's two shows on broad this year, it was MUCH better to see them do a 90 minute set in my hometown last night.

There's no argument, 70k rules. As a complete event, it is second to none. But yeah, I was referring to the actual gigs, which IMO doesn't necessarily make them any better because they're on a boat. There's a small intimate venue here called The Underworld that doesn't even have a barrier, no security/bouncers at all, and the stage is about knee high. If you stand right at the stage you have to be careful the guitarists don't knock you out! I'm going to see van Canto there on Wednesday.

Dark Tranqullity also played there in Nov. with Tristania, but it was 3 days after I got back from overseas, I was so jetlagged I couldn't stay to see them so I kinda regret that. I'd already gone to a gig the day I got back so I was so tired and I had to work.

Gigs here, and even European festivals are really good at keeping to schedule. I can't even remember going to a gig that was running late or badly organised.

2019 Wishlist:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:22 pm

Conrad wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:I saw Turisas in march 2013, right after the cruise. The show was longer and they played more old songs, which was awesome. I would say the show was better than those on the boat, but someone pickpocketed my phone while dancing/moshing, so that show sucked. :P

You probably dropped it! It fell out of your pocket. :lol:

I searched for it when I felt it was gone, and couldn't find it. At the end of the show, we announced it on the speakers, and nobody gave anything. I'd say a pickpocket was quite likely, since never has a phone fallen out of my pocket. :ugeek:

Conrad wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Haggard's pool deck show was probably the best show I've seen in my entire life. I have a hard time thinking of any other time where I saw any kind of live musical performance and felt such an awe. It was just perfect. I had seen Haggard in 2009 and 2012, they were good, but nowhere near so good.

I believe you. Of the bands on that boat, Haggard would have been the one I wanted to see most, it would have been a magical show indeed! They're playing in Mexico again I think from the 19th to 21st June.

Magical is the correct word to describe it. They're coming in June, but I'll probably skip them. They come every year and I'm not sure I want to have another show touching the memory of the cruise shows. :oops:

--
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:45 pm

Conrad wrote:... But yeah, I was referring to the actual gigs, which IMO doesn't necessarily make them any better because they're on a boat. There's a small intimate venue here called The Underworld that doesn't even have a barrier, no security/bouncers at all, and the stage is about knee high. If you stand right at the stage you have to be careful the guitarists don't knock you out! I'm going to see van Canto there on Wednesday.

Dark Tranqullity also played there in Nov. with Tristania, but it was 3 days after I got back from overseas, I was so jetlagged I couldn't stay to see them so I kinda regret that. I'd already gone to a gig the day I got back so I was so tired and I had to work.

Gigs here, and even European festivals are really good at keeping to schedule. I can't even remember going to a gig that was running late or badly organised.

Indeed!! So much true there - two cases like this from the last week in fact!

ORPHANED LAND - Sunday night. At a former church that is now a nightclub which would hold 200 people tops. People at the front could actually put their foot on the stage because it was that low and there was no barrier.

And Dark Tranquillity Friday night - actually started their set 15 minutes EARLY. THAT would never happen on 70k :P (admittedly that would actually be a bit annoying if it happened on 70k, but you know what I mean!)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:58 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:

(snarkiness intended) ;)

This :lol: :lol: :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 am

The best part for me is first to make new friends, drink, laugh and talk with them, then come the gigs, of course. I still have the occasion to see some bands I never saw before and enjoy with their music. Well, of course, as a disabled person, it isn't that easy to jump between the stages to see a full gig, you have to miss one or to miss a part of it. The advantage until now is that the stages were close of each other, but that will be different on the Liberty where I will have to walk more, so also miss more of the gigs :roll: I will just try to do my best.

The worst part in 2013 was that I was ill the 2 last days with an awful bronchitis and this year was more than certainly the movement of the ship with the rain on Thursday. I had, as probably a lot of us, to try to not fall down. I almost did at least twice or three times :roll: More personally, I had some problems to get an extra step to go to the cabin's bathroom. I had to explain the maintenance guy at least three times what I needed, but he never added this step :bitch: I had to find the solution by myself and it was more than never dangerous, particularly on Thursday.

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Best part = seeing all the same people at all the same bands that you're at and realizing that you're all family from far around the world.

Worst part = the fucking muster drill. I understand that its a legal obligation, but its beyond boring and it kills all the great conversations being had beforehand and the tone most of the time is so solemn. I say "fuck it!" :bangers:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:20 am

best part: everything, the pre- and pre-pre-parties, the cruise.....
    worst part: getting injured by the shoes of a diver (only a bloody ear) and not be able at some concerts to watch, bang and listen in the first or second row cos of all the fucking pitters.
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:50 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    Worst part = the fucking muster drill. I understand that its a legal obligation, but its beyond boring and it kills all the great conversations being had beforehand and the tone most of the time is so solemn. I say "fuck it!" :bangers:

the first master drill was awesome.
    some of the staff really looked like shitting their pants when the shout came "WALL OF DEATH!!!!!"

second muster drill i was in my cabin, because i was to honest and had been temporarily quarantined
    but i heard that they played their part better then. (like if you look to your right you'll see the proper way to do air guitar :lol:

• ANTIKRISS
    Petty Officer

by ANTIKRISS » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:09 am

Gonna sound like a noob, but, what does master drill mean?
    For The Horde!
    MikeB
    Petty Officer

by MikeB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 am

ANTIKRISS wrote:Gonna sound like a noob, but, what does master drill mean?

Better than I could explain it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muster_drill

safety first !
    2015: Cabin 9527
    2016: Cabin 9219
    2017: Cabin 9675
    2018: Cabin 8215
    2019: Cabin 7449