Post Reply 14 posts Page 1 of 1
Should have asked this first...
    Shelton
    Crewman

Should have asked this first...

by Shelton » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:26 am

Having never been on a cruise ship before, what is the rolling feeling like? I have been known to get notoriously sea sick (just sea though, fine with air and any other motion) so should I look at getting anti-sick tablets or something before I leave?
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Should have asked this first...

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:02 am

Mate I reckon you'll be okay.

Lucky you were not on this year - the sea was pretty rough on the trip back! But I daresay that with the bigger ship any rolling of the sea will be much less noticeable.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:24 am

As well, if the seas get too bad, the ship can bust out these bad boys.
    Wishlist
    Æther-Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amaon-Amarth-/-Amaranthe-/-Amorphis-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Annihilator-/-Arch-Enemy-/-Arkona-/-Asenblut-/-Avantasia-/-Avartarium-/-Axxis-/-Babymetal-/-Battlecross-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Be'lakor-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodbound-/-Brendon-Small-/-Brymir-/-Cain's-Offering-/-Carach-Angren-/-Cattle-Decapitation-/-Children-Of-Bodom-/-Chthonic-/-Crimson-Shadows-/-Dalriada-/-Derdian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dying-Fetus-/-Edguy-/-Eluveitie-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evil-Scarecrow-/-Ex-Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Falconer-/-Fallujah-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Galneryus-/-Ghost-B.C.-/-Gloryhammer-/-Goatwhore-/-God-Dethroned-/-Gojira-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Iron-Savior-/-Kalmah-/-Kamelot-/-Lagerstein-/-Moonsorrow-/-Mors-Principium-Est-/-Nanowar-Of-Steel-/-Nightwish-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Powerwolf-/-Rumahoy-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio-Mortis-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Skyfire-/-Solar-Fragment-/-Steel-Panther-/-Swashbuckle-/-Symphony-X-/-The-Dread-Crew-Of-Oddwood-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Twilight-Force-/-Týr-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Valhalore-/-Van-Canto-/-Visigoth-/-Wintersun-/-Ye-Banished-Privateers
    70k2015 Survivor - 2328
    70k2016 Survivor - 7511
    70k2017 Survivor - 6523
    70k2019 - 3336
    Mr.Kito
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mr.Kito » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 am

Don't worry, you'll get used to it in no time :shred:
    Wishlist:Accept-After.Forever-Alestorm-Almah-Amorphis-Angra-Annihilator-Cradle.Of.Filth-Children.Of.Bodom-Danko.Jones-Dark.Lunacy-Dark.Tranquillity-DSO-Dimmu.Borgir-Edguy-Edu.Falaschi-Eluveitie-Evergrey-Final.Disaster-Gloryhammer-Gotthard-Infected.Rain-In.Flames-Jinjer-Kreator-Mors.Principium.Est-Nervosa-Nightwish-Overkill-Perzonal.War-Primal.Fear-Poisonblack-Queensryche-Rammstein-Sabaton-Scar.Symmetry-Sepultura-Shaman-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-Tarot-Torture.Squad-TrollFest-Tuatha.De.Danann-Turisas
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2018-Survivor
    2016, 2017, 2019- :(
    2020- SOON
    RIP Andre Matos
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:30 am

There is usually one night per cruise where it gets pretty rough. Most of the time you hardly notice any movement. We are on a larger boat for the upcoming cruise so that indeed might help.

The fun part is trying to dump your sea legs after the trip. I haven't experienced it since the first cruise but after my first time, it took a while to be able to walk straight again. :stagger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Gravol has a sea-sickness specific product (with ginger I think) that you can probably get over the counter anywhere and bring just in case but, as stated, big ships don't get too rocky under normal circumstances so I wouldn't stress about it much. Even, of those highly prone such as yourself, only a few people ever report having a hard time with it at it's worst.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:As well, if the seas get too bad, the ship can bust out these bad boys.

True...stabilizers can help, but there's only so much they can do.

Also, if the ship is encountering large waves ("swells") from directly ahead, there's nothing stabilizers can do to help, since the ship would be bucking fore-and-aft and not side-to-side. That happened on a cruise I took last October -- the waves were coming from a distant, but still strong, Hurricane Gonzalo -- and we were rockin' pretty good. The ship's bow would come down with a huge splash and throw water 40 feet to each side...it looked really cool. This was on Carnival Freedom, a smaller ship than Liberty...but not that much smaller. A lot of first-time passengers were asking if it was safe, is it always like that on a cruise, etc.....but I've seen a lot worse. :D (This 70K will be my sixth cruise overall.)

But really, you should be okay. Barring any unusual storms, for most of the time you'll barely be able to tell you're on a moving ship.
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:30 am

From what I remember of the only cruise I've been on in 2012, I didn't even notice we'd left port until I'd gone outside and we were out to sea, it's pretty smooth sailing. I think there was one night on the way back I felt a bit wobbly standing watching the bands but it wasn't bad at all. I didn't experience any sea legs from leaving the ship.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Conrad wrote:From what I remember of the only cruise I've been on in 2012, I didn't even notice we'd left port until I'd gone outside and we were out to sea, it's pretty smooth sailing.

I don't know if it will be the same on Liberty of the Seas as it was for me on a slightly smaller ship this past October out of Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades, but I went up on deck expecting to see them tossing ropes and pulling away from the pier and to my shock, we were already in the "fairway" past the shore. So much for watching sailaway from an open deck, but wow! Talk about a smooth getaway!
    I don't know if Ft. Lauderdale is always like that, but I've always felt the motion when leaving Miami.
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    Dundee
    Crewman

by Dundee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:40 am

Pellaz wrote:
    I don't know if Ft. Lauderdale is always like that, but I've always felt the motion when leaving Miami.

And you're sure it was the boat and not the alcohol? ;)
    AmelieM
    Petty Officer

by AmelieM » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am

I got pretty sick last year on the trip back (that was a rough ride!).
    But it was probably due to a mix of motion and hangover. I was perfectly fine during the first 3 days.
    Reception has magic pills for you if you ever feel sick. They worked wonder on me!
    Alestorm-/-Amon-Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Be'lakor-/-Dark-Tranquillity-/-Edguy-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Gloryhammer-/-Gojira-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Ophaned-Land-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Kamelot-/-Kataklysm-/-Sabaton-/-Septic-Flesh-/-Seventh-Wonder-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Therion-/-Wintersun
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:36 am

I am still have my stomach a little bit upside down the first few hours after the departure, but taking some tablets and I am great for the whole cruise. Even if on the Thursday this year it was difficult to walk cause of the movements of the ship, I wasn't sick at all. It was a lot more hard to walk good after the cruise, while at the hotel. For the whole day I wasn't able to walk perfectly. Might be quite funny sometimes :lol:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    surfslamdive
    Oiler

by surfslamdive » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:28 am

I had never been on a cruise before the one in 2012 so I noticed the motion quite a bit and felt a little wobbly in the legs after getting off for a day or so. No problems on the 2013 cruise at all. You'll get used to it I'm sure.
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 am

Dundee wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

And you're sure it was the boat and not the alcohol? ;)

Quite sure, since I don't drink. Much, anyway. :D

It was especially weird because in Ft. Lauderdale, the ship I was on (Carnival Freedom) would have had to push away from the pier sideways (!) since we were boxed in by two other cruise ships, and THEN spin to get out through the ship-channel. And I never felt it. :shock:
    In Miami, you can have a really smooth departure if the ship already made its turn in the turn-basin west of the port before arriving at dock, and is already facing east toward the sea. If not, then the ship will head west, pull a 180 in the turn-basin using maneuvering thrusters, and then head out to sea. (I think that's kinda neet to watch.)
    2020 Wishlist:
Post Reply 14 posts Page 1 of 1