Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1
Use of the word BROAD
    cowboy71
    Commander

Use of the word BROAD

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:23 pm

There has been several queries from n00bs, questioning the curious use of the term "BROAD" here, so Statsman has decided that a history lesson is in order.

Broad is a term used broadly on the broad.

Its use in modern history can be traced back to the dawn of the broads (well, November 2010 anyway!), when one of the original and best broads on the broads (deb!) used the term.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=792&p=21188&hilit=broad#p21188

The man with the broadest head on the broads (KevinP) picked up on this amusing typographical anomaly, and the use has stuck through to the present day.

Here endeth the lesson. Class dismissed!

FOOTNOTE: The skipper himself has oft used the term in jest when posting announcements on the broads too!
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

Re: Use of the word BROAD

by biertroll » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

:lol: so excited to be onbroad!

Sometimes in non-cruise related discussions I type & say "onbroad" ect ect
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Mm what is so funny is we are booked at Marriott Hollywood beach resort and it mentions the Broadwalk ! Wonder if that is a typo.

I think referring to woman as broads is wrong.

But always refer to the ship as on broad. :cheers:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:33 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:Mm what is so funny is we are booked at Marriott Hollywood beach resort and it mentions the Broadwalk ! Wonder if that is a typo.

I think referring to woman as broads is wrong.

But always refer to the ship as on broad. :cheers:

Absolutely Tom! I would never use it normally, just felt that it fit with the jestful nature of the post (and I'm pretty sure the lovely deb would not take offence)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:41 pm

The broadwalk on Hollywood Beach is no typo. It is called that locally.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Realistically, the word must be used to be a part of our metal cult.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:03 pm

When I was still on the fence about the cruise my friend (I think he's BloodyCanadian on here?) told me an anecdote about Joakim Broden from Sabaton finishing off one of their sets thusly: "Thank you everyone! Thank you boat!" rather than just calling the event "70k", because fuck those extra syllables. So locally myself and several of the others I know refer to the cruise as "the boat." On the forum though, yes, I use broad.

But I would appreciate that none of you call me a broad, on broad. I appreciate those that have already said they don't :boobs:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:02 pm

"She's broad where a broad should be broad"

-Oscar Hammerstein
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:28 am

I don't use the term to address or refer to women generally but am curious what it is that's derogatory or disrespectful about it considering its origins is merely that women are typically and proportionally wider in the hips than their male counterparts.

While we're at it, where does Dame come from and is thatconsidered in bad taste? If not, I may have to see if I can't help it mount a comeback.

Promise, I won't actually call anybody a Comeback or try to mount them if I do, unless invited :?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:04 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:I don't use the term to address or refer to women generally but am curious what it is that's derogatory or disrespectful about it considering its origins is merely that women are typically and proportionally wider in the hips than their male counterparts.

While we're at it, where does Dame come from and is thatconsidered in bad taste? If not, I may have to see if I can't help it mount a comeback.

Promise, I won't actually call anybody a Comeback or try to mount them if I do, unless invited :?

I always see "broad" as referencing a woman with large tits. As in, that's all that can be seen. That's all.

And, Dame is actually the equivalent of "Sir". Like, Dame Judy Dench. Sir Patrick Stewart. That stuff. So Dame is actually quite the honorific. If they're offended by that. I don't think they know what it means.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 am

70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 am

Moar broads = moar better
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:11 am

Stained Class wrote:Moar broads = moar betterer

Fixd. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 am

can't wait to abroad again :bangers:
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:16 am

Memnoch wrote:

Totally agree with both of you. I'm so sick of sausagefests, I don't want to be the only woman in a sea of men, like usual :/

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:19 am

Phoenix wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:

Totally agree with both of you. I'm so sick of sausagefests, I don't want to be the only woman in a sea of men, like usual :/

From my experience (several festivals over Europe but only one 70K so far) the broad ratio onbroad is much higher than in any other festival. You won't feel alone ;)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:I don't use the term to address or refer to women generally but am curious what it is that's derogatory or disrespectful about it considering its origins is merely that women are typically and proportionally wider in the hips than their male counterparts.

:lol: Reading this thread about broads on the broads was an excellent way to begin my morning, can't wait to be back onbroad :beerwink:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm

I also can't wait to be back onbroad! :headbanger: Amusing thread. :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1