Post Reply 12 posts Page 1 of 1
How to Pack as a Northerner?
    manamachine
    Crewman

How to Pack as a Northerner?

by manamachine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:20 pm

It's going to be around -15C in Montreal on Wednesday when I leave, and I'm willing to bet just as cold when I come back. I was planning on taking public transit to the airport to save on cab fare.

What do the other northerners here do (Canada, Northern Europe, etc.)? Do you wear your coats and stuff them in a carry-on? Or tough out the temperatures of your homeland knowing it'll be like 40-50 degrees warmer when you land?
    Wishlist:
    All the power/symphonic/thrash.
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: How to Pack as a Northerner?

by SaraMarie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm

First-time cruiser but not my first time flying out of shit, cold weather and into warmth...

I'm wearing a hoodie and my shit-kickers on my way to the airport, jeggings and a t-shirt for clothes, maybe also a plaid shirt, nothing fancy or particular to the weather. Since I don't have to (and can't, really) public transport myself as I so often do, it's really easy, no trudging through snow or being in the cold for too long.

In Florida, I can just shed the hoodie and tie it at my waist until getting to the hotel.

I'll just wear my same outfit on the way back. Some guys are going with only one change of clothes, so I'm still not the grungiest dirtbag outta the bunch for doing that, I figure. :lol:
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
  • big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Have enough room in the suitcase to put it away when you land is only thing I can think of. Why I'm only going to wear a thin hoodie and hope it's not to cold when I come back. Could easily be -30.
    DarthDavy
    Oiler

by DarthDavy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:59 pm

My plan is as follows: I leave home with my jeans, t-shirt, sleevleess jacket, hoodie and my winter coat. When I arrive at the airport in brussels and i check in my luggage i loose the winter coat and the hoodie in my luggage that goes into the plane.

I assume I don't need to leave the airport in JFK, New York for flying to Fort Lauderdale, so I should be warm enough with just my t-shirt and a sleeveless jacket. In Florida I made sure I can loose the jacket into my carry-on bag and I'll endure the jeans untill I'm in my hotel and then it's only short shorts from there. :-)

Going back home. I didn't think about it. Actually I don't think about going home yet. ;) Same thing I guess but the other way around.
    70K 2015 - Cabin #8593
    70K 2016 - Cabin #7691
    70K 2017 - Cabin #7691
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:03 pm

I am showing up at the airport like it's summer time. One hoodie for the ride to the airport and back. If it doesn't fit in my backpack it doesn't come, I never check a bag, ever.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:07 pm

I always take my winter jacket as carry on when returning in case my bag don't show up.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:11 pm

I would ditch the coat and if you have to double the hoodies for warmth ..... you may need a hoodie on the boat at night, as it can get down to 40 degrees F with a cool ocean breeze/ possible rain on Saturday around Jamaica area (hopefully nothing like last years - last day on return trip home)

:cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:11 pm

I always left my coat in my car at the airport and just shivered a while waiting for the bus to take me to the terminal. Do you have any compression gear (like Under Armour )?It actually is quite cool on the pool deck some nights and a light jacket or compression long sleeve shirt is nice.The new boat looks like the pool area is protected from wind but it could still be cool.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:34 pm

You can also buy a 70k hoodie on the boat, I have 3 so far. Always leave enough room in the bag for merch and souvenirs.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • Electrichead
    Crewman

by Electrichead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Swimsuit and sandals. No more, no less.
    2013, 2014, 2015 survivor
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Corpse paint. No clothes.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    manamachine
    Crewman

by manamachine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Cool. I was planning on just toughing it out with layers. A shirt, hoodie, and thin leather jacket. With any luck it'll stay above -30.
    Wishlist:
    All the power/symphonic/thrash.
Post Reply 12 posts Page 1 of 1