Post Reply 520 posts
70k 2016 Lineup Predictions/Rumours
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: 70k 2016 Lineup Predictions/Rumours

by cowboy71 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 am

Speedy wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:According to someone in the Facebook forum, Andy was seen in a Nightwish + Sabaton + Delain concert a few days ago. He was there with his assistant, spent 30 minutes in the backstage and left with a clipboard. Suspicious enough, if we trust the source.

In the same thread someone claims to have confirmation directly from bandmembers that Nightwish won't be onbroad. :cry:

Sweet. I'm fine with that. Extra room (AND BUDGET because they would be expensive to book) on broad for a band I've not seen 13 times already!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:00 am

Speedy wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:According to someone in the Facebook forum, Andy was seen in a Nightwish + Sabaton + Delain concert a few days ago. He was there with his assistant, spent 30 minutes in the backstage and left with a clipboard. Suspicious enough, if we trust the source.

In the same thread someone claims to have confirmation directly from bandmembers that Nightwish won't be onbroad. :cry:

I read that too, but how many times have we had bands onbroad which previously denied they'd be there? Of course that makes them weaker candidates than Sabaton or Delain but I wouldn't completely rule them out anyway.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:58 am

Stratovarius will release their new album in August this year and will do an European tour this Autumn. Hopefully, they will be on the ship in 2016 :cool:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:51 am

Apparently Russell Allen wants Symphony X on broad next year.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
  • SpaceSlug
    Crewman

by SpaceSlug » Mon May 18, 2015 6:56 am

As for the whole Nightwish - Sabaton - Delain rumor...

I assume we can at least count on seeing one of those bands next year. Otherwise why would Andy even waste his time going? If he wasn't in the pit enjoying the show then he was dealing backstage. If he got three "NO"s from the bands then why go there? You would think he would call them first before driving/flying to a concert and working his way backstage.

But what do I know. Maybe Nightwish has fancy preshow gummy-bears and Andy really likes his gummy-bears.
    rockhound
    Petty Officer

by rockhound » Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 am

cowboy71 wrote:Apparently Russell Allen wants Symphony X on broad next year.

Yes, my son Daniel and I talked to him in a m&g of Adrenaline Mob yesterday. He recognized me from the cruise :heavydrink: .
    Told us he had a very good time on 2014, especially loved the Karaoke and want to came back. When my son ask if he will go with Symphony X or Adrenaline Mob, he said that probably Symphony as Adrenaline mob is more a MORC band. We told him that any of his bands will be a great additon to 70k. He was quite sure of being there next year. :death:
    wishlist:AmberianDawn-Andromeda-Ayreon-BeyondTheBridge-EchoesOfEternity-Leprous-LordOfMushrooms-LucaTurilli-[color=#40FF00]Kamelot[/color]-MistyWays-Nighwish-Pentagram-Rishloo--ShadowGallery-Sólstfir-ThoughChamber-VanCanto-VanGough-Viathin
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 am

rockhound wrote:

Yes, my son Daniel and I talked to him in a m&g of Adrenaline Mob yesterday. He recognized me from the cruise :heavydrink: .
    Told us he had a very good time on 2014, especially loved the Karaoke and want to came back. When my son ask if he will go with Symphony X or Adrenaline Mob, he said that probably Symphony as Adrenaline mob is more a MORC band. We told him that any of his bands will be a great additon to 70k. He was quite sure of being there next year. :death:

I really, REALLY hope this happens.
    Wishlist:
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    rockhound wrote:

I really, REALLY hope a band announcement happens.

Fixed it for you. :)
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Mon May 18, 2015 11:43 am

I really would like to see DEATHSTARS on this cruise. I saw them live in Chicago, Reggies, they were opening up for Moonspell, and they are a GREAT band, sound great live.
    Other bands I would love to see: Rage - Running Wild - Helloween - GammaRay - Amorphis - Shaolin Death Squad - Megadeth.
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Mon May 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Moonspell were paid a visit at their Vancouver show..
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    AmelieM
    Petty Officer

by AmelieM » Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 am

Amorphis would love to be on again... I was like "Forget it, bands never get onboard two years in a row."
    -"But... but... we have a new album coming out! And we didn't get our pool deck set..." (with Puss in Boots eyes).

So I guess they're a strong contender for 2017! :lol:
    Alestorm-/-Amon-Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Be'lakor-/-Dark-Tranquillity-/-Edguy-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Gloryhammer-/-Gojira-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Ophaned-Land-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Kamelot-/-Kataklysm-/-Sabaton-/-Septic-Flesh-/-Seventh-Wonder-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Therion-/-Wintersun
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:47 am

I would welcome them back.
    I was really looking forward to their pool deck set.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu May 28, 2015 6:56 am

AmelieM wrote:Amorphis would love to be on again... I was like "Forget it, bands never get onboard two years in a row."
    -"But... but... we have a new album coming out! And we didn't get our pool deck set..." (with Puss in Boots eyes).

I had to miss the end of their first set and all of their second set, but wow what a good show. I'd love to see them again.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Save these guys for 2021, Andy.
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 am

I believe the "no repeats " thing has to go ,it was only really mentioned by 70k in the first couple of cruises to get people on the ship again.The fact that you have 60 bands and that some bands will never do a cruise for various reasons means repeats should be considered .The bands that love doing this and have it part of their winter vacation could repeat then take a year off ,so you get a 2 out of 3 years possibility.Some bands only seem to play festivals now so it is not like they are over exposing themselves tour wise.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu May 28, 2015 12:25 pm

AmelieM wrote:Amorphis would love to be on again... I was like "Forget it, bands never get onboard two years in a row."

I saw you at MDF waiting for Amorphis to go on. Beautiful girl.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:01 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:

Forum Creepers Unite!!

:cool:

:P
    I think I need a shirt with that on it...
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:

Forum Creepers Unite!!

:cool:

:P
    I think I need a shirt with that on it...

Ha

I would have said hello to her but I was busy holding down my rail spot.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu May 28, 2015 8:58 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:I believe the "no repeats " thing has to go ,it was only really mentioned by 70k in the first couple of cruises to get people on the ship again.The fact that you have 60 bands and that some bands will never do a cruise for various reasons means repeats should be considered .The bands that love doing this and have it part of their winter vacation could repeat then take a year off ,so you get a 2 out of 3 years possibility.Some bands only seem to play festivals now so it is not like they are over exposing themselves tour wise.

Concur. It could also make it easier to book a band if their work visas are still valid.

I was surprised Andy didn't drop the rule when 70K went from 40 bands to 60. If a big, "marquee" band had a good time and really wants to return, it would be silly to let a rule get in the way.
    I'm not saying that there should be a lot of repeats, since part of this cruise's allure is the variety and diversity of the performing bands, but a repeat band here and there -- no more than a couple -- wouldn't hurt nothin'.
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Andy's so good at keeping his promises, that no doubt we'll see bands play two or three cruises in a row in the future.
    But still, there's not really a need for any repeats (be it a band from the first cruise or whatever). There are thousands of active, recording metal bands out there. Surely we've only had a few of them onbroad? Whoever thinks we're somehow running out of new bands needs to go out and look outside their five-band playlist. Hell, there's probably new headliners for the next twenty cruises if Andy wanted to avoid repeat bands.

The only reason we have lots of repeats is that the repeat bands want to attend the cruise again and therefore are willing to accept a lower fee for their services. Who would say no to that?
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu May 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Memnoch wrote:But still, there's not really a need for any repeats (be it a band from the first cruise or whatever). There are thousands of active, recording metal bands out there. Surely we've only had a few of them onbroad? Whoever thinks we're somehow running out of new bands needs to go out and look outside their five-band playlist. Hell, there's probably new headliners for the next twenty cruises if Andy wanted to avoid repeat bands.

The only reason we have lots of repeats is that the repeat bands want to attend the cruise again and therefore are willing to accept a lower fee for their services. Who would say no to that?

Disagree.

There are many good reasons for having repeats, in 70k and in every other festival out there. First, while there are a lot of newcomers full of talent out there, there are not *so many* bands which would attract the attention of the masses. This reasoning you use here could also apply for any other festival, such as Wacken, Summer Breeze, Tuska... couldn't it? And they also have repeats every year, don't they? It's not like you need to repeat bands, but some formulas just work, whether you like them or not, and there's no good reason to ban them forever once they've played once, that simply makes no sense at all to me. What sense would it make to forbid bands such as Sabaton, Amon Amarth or Nightwish, among many others (please leave personal taste aside here), from playing in a festival just because they've played there before?

With 60 bands there's plenty of room both for good repeats and for newcomers alike. Just like in every other good festival.

And no, I don't have a five-band playlist, I am happy to say I listen to hundreds of bands.
    Wishlist:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri May 29, 2015 2:10 am

The comment on a five-band playlist was aimed at those people who claim repeats are necessary because there simply isn't enough bands in the world. Even I, who dislike most genres in metal, like well over a thousand bands and I'd like to think at least half of those are big enough to play any metal festival. So, no, we're not running out of bands.

Yes, repeats are ok as long as it's not the same bands playing every other year. I can see the appeal to book certain bands that are on top of their success, but those are the same bands that tour heavily and play lots of festivals anyhow. And filling half of the lineup with bands that played two or three years ago in the same event - that has quite the high percentage of return customers - is dumb. Well, ok, in that respect I can understand booking no-name, pay-to-play bands and/or repeat bands that are willing to significantly cut their fees.

I'd rather see a diverse lineup with mostly bands that I haven't seen before or that haven't played that particular event before, and some repeats that were exceptional on previous years. That doesn't mean it's bands I like, no, but bands that were partying and interacting with the fans, bands that played some special shows specially for that event or something else that sets them above others. I guess Sabaton would fall into that category even if I do hate them. But I'd like to see a lineup that's, say, 70% new bands; specifically for 70k seeing how it's quite a young event still.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:39 am

Memnoch wrote:... the same event - that has quite the high percentage of return customers -....l.

I think that is a key point. HIGH PERCENTAGE OF RETURN CUSTOMERS.

I'd love to know the exact figure of how many people on this year's cruise had been on at least one previously. Surely a third at least?

And I think, discounting Barge To Hell, we had 19 repeats this year. FAR too many even with the 'no repeats from previous year' thing. Adding potentially more by allowing repeats from the previous year would just be too much.

As someone who would love to do every one of these for as long as it runs (cannot see that happening, but I'd like to!), I'd much rather see as many 'new' bands on the lineup.

Now I know there are many who have only done 1 or 2 (or none!) 70Ks, so some repeats are fine.

If we WERE to remove the 'no repeats from previous year' rule, then I'd be okay with it IF, it was replaced with something like a 'only 15 repeat bands maximum' (so, 25% of the lineup) rule.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    AmelieM
    Petty Officer

by AmelieM » Fri May 29, 2015 5:02 am

Razor Ramon wrote:
    Ha

Ehhhhhh. Thanks, I guess? Well, if you didn't come say hi, at least that means you're not the creep with the hair fetish that kept asking to touch my hair! :P

As for the no repeat rule, I wouldn't mind seeing it go either. Even more so for a band that didn't get to play their pool deck set AND whose name was mispelled! :roll: Haha! Andy usually gives us 1 or 2 extra bands anyway (except this year because of the last minute cancellation), so he could easily use those extra spots for bands that really want to be on again even if they've played the year before.

Oh, and Kamelot are not out either. I thought they would never do the cruise again after what happened last year. But no, they'd like to be on board again. It was just a big communication problem... (REALLY?!?!?!)
    Alestorm-/-Amon-Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Be'lakor-/-Dark-Tranquillity-/-Edguy-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Gloryhammer-/-Gojira-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Ophaned-Land-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Kamelot-/-Kataklysm-/-Sabaton-/-Septic-Flesh-/-Seventh-Wonder-/-Suidakra-/-Tarot-/-Therion-/-Wintersun
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:13 am

AmelieM wrote:
    Oh, and Kamelot are not out either. I thought they would never do the cruise again after what happened last year. But no, they'd like to be on board again. It was just a big communication problem... (REALLY?!?!?!)

HAHAHA cool. That is good news.

BECAUSE THE NEW ALBUM IS FREAKING AWESOME!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    AmelieM wrote:

HAHAHA cool. That is good news.

BECAUSE THE NEW ALBUM IS FREAKING AWESOME!!

Indeed!
    Wishlist:

• Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri May 29, 2015 7:04 am

As someone who couldn't get back into Kamelot after Roy left, seeing them live recently has changed that. What a show.

Ah, repeats... no. We shouldn't remove the "no bands two years in a row" rule. I'd be kind of disappointed if I went on a big festival vacation two years running and the boat had a lot of the same bands that I had seen just a year prior. What happened to Amorphis and Grave Digger and others was really unfortunate, but Amorphis is OBVIOUSLY keen on going again, so they can come back in 2017, when UMC has had another year to figure out stages on a boat with the same floor plan. That way they're almost 100% guaranteed not to get screwed out of their pool deck set.

Though Amelie brings up an interesting point about bonus bands... if a band just really wants to go on the cruise not necessarily to play, but as a vacation, would Andy let them play a set or two for the hell of it? That's sort of what happened with Claim the Throne this year, wasn't it?
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Fri May 29, 2015 3:05 pm

AmelieM wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:
    Ha

Ehhhhhh. Thanks, I guess? Well, if you didn't come say hi, at least that means you're not the creep with the hair fetish that kept asking to touch my hair! :P

Yeah, I'm not a weirdo. Recognized you from your avatar, I thought "I think that's the girl from the forum, she's really pretty" then I was thinking "Neurosis needs to hurry the hell up" and I continued on with my day. You probably wouldn't recognize me though, I don't look anything like Razor Ramon.

As far as bands repeating 2 years in a row, I think that would get abused way to easy if it started. Most of my list are zero timers so I'm hoping for some new shit.
    70000 Tons 2019
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Fri May 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:
    AmelieM wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:
    Ha

Yeah, I'm not a weirdo. Recognized you from your avatar, I thought "I think that's the girl from the forum, she's really pretty" then I was thinking "Neurosis needs to hurry the hell up" and I continued on with my day. You probably wouldn't recognize me though, I don't look anything like Razor Ramon.

As far as bands repeating 2 years in a row, I think that would get abused way to easy if it started. Most of my list are zero timers so I'm hoping for some new shit.

I think I was next to you at the Wintersun show on the pool deck right up front, just based on your youtube videos and the angles that they were taken from. That being said, Wintersun is my first choice for a band repeat two years in a row!
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240

2020 Wishlist: Arafel-/-Arcturus-/-Borknagar-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-Equilibrium-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Glittertind-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Moonsorrow-/-Necrophagist-/-Norther-/-Otyg-/-Savatage-/-Skyforger-/-Solstafir-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Vintersorg-/-Waylander
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 pm

I've got no problem with annually repeating bands.

I used to be really into jam/bluegrass music (and I still think some of it is almost as good as metal), and I went a few times to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in the Colorado mountains. People who are into bluegrass know that it's one of the best and most prestigious bluegrass festivals in the world. Their formula for success, aside from the amazing setting and atmosphere (just like 70K, but not on a boat, and the people aren't metalheads so whatever), is that about 1/3 of the performers play every year, and this tradition ads to the awesome - they aren't the headliners, but they are outstanding performers and they always throw down a wicked show. Having them on repeat year after year added to the sense of community and made me want to keep going back.

Maybe a way to lock in the maximum number of repeat customers for 70K is to follow a similar pattern. You don't need to lock in the most famous bands - just lock in the bands that are a fucking party. Lock in Sabaton, Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, Anneke, Epica, whatever Chris Bowes project is on the go that year, and whatever bands the thrash, death, and black metal people want. Then build the festival around this group, not just around the headliners.
    2020 Wishlist: Boat, friends, bands, karaoke, hot, Sorrentos, Windjammer, coffee, Satan, love, alcohol.
    FrenchMachoBoy
    Chief Petty Officer

by FrenchMachoBoy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 am

Hello. You can add holy moses, they told me they will be there.
    2019 for ABBATH+AGENT STEEL+CORONATUS+DARK ANGEL+DARK SARAH+KING DIAMOND+LEE AARON+LITA FORD+MIDNATTSOL+NECRODEATH+NOCTURNUS+ONSLAUGHT+PARADOX+REPULSION+SACRIFICE+THE DARK ELEMENT+VENOM INC.
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:46 am

Phoenix wrote: UMC has had another year to figure out stages on a boat with the same floor plan. That way they're almost 100% guaranteed not to get screwed out of their pool deck set.

They will if we get storms again like 2014.
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 am

Dimma wrote:
    Phoenix wrote: UMC has had another year to figure out stages on a boat with the same floor plan. That way they're almost 100% guaranteed not to get screwed out of their pool deck set.

They will if we get storms again like 2014.

Closer port = slower speed = less retarded winds! My logic, considering Turks is the only port I've got off at so far.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:51 pm

That wind was such a bitch, the only time there was no wind was Saturday night.
    70000 Tons 2019
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:41 am

Razor Ramon wrote:That wind was such a bitch, the only time there was no wind was Saturday night.

The wind was indeed a true bitch. At some point, while wakling around the top deck, something got stuck in my eye. I couldn't get rid of it for a few hours and it was by far the most annoying - and painful - memory of my trip. Advice: while walking outdoors against the wind always wear sunglasses, or look down.
    Wishlist:

• Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 am

In the words of Blind Guardian during their pool deck set, "FUCK THE WIND"!

• deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:26 am

I wonder if the wider berth of the ship made the wind worse. On the Majesty it was very windy a few times on the top deck but on the stage level not as bad at the same time. Faster ship definitely makes things worse but the layout probably increased winds at stage level.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm

bodomdragon wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:That wind was such a bitch, the only time there was no wind was Saturday night.

The wind was indeed a true bitch. At some point, while wakling around the top deck, something got stuck in my eye. I couldn't get rid of it for a few hours and it was by far the most annoying - and painful - memory of my trip. Advice: while walking outdoors against the wind always wear sunglasses, or look down.

Ouch! Man, even with sunglasses and looking down, I couldn't fully open my eyes while walking around up top. That was brutal. Hopefully it won't be so bad on the next trip.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:06 am

As I have some troubles with the strong wind, I never go on the deck 12, definitely too dangerous for me upthere. But have to admit that in 2014 with the bad weather, it was quite hard inside as well - the last night this year as well :roll: This year I went only once on the deck 11 for the Korpiklaani set and it was nice there, I just had to be careful to walk on the wet floor with my crutches. If not too windy, it's ok for me :D

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Swashbuckle just posted Swashbuckle for 70k 2016 on FB...
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:28 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:Swashbuckle just posted Swashbuckle for 70k 2016 on FB...

Yes. :headbanger: Crossing my fingers
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240

2020 Wishlist: Arafel-/-Arcturus-/-Borknagar-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-Equilibrium-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Glittertind-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Moonsorrow-/-Necrophagist-/-Norther-/-Otyg-/-Savatage-/-Skyforger-/-Solstafir-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Vintersorg-/-Waylander
Post Reply 520 posts