Post Reply 77 posts
Too many bands!
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Too many bands!

by Phoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 am

Don't say that Ville, I'm one of those little-bit-of-everything metalheads. I'd have SO many conflicts if they set up the stages like that.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Gonna take a lot to get me back next year.
  • erik13
    Oiler

by erik13 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 am

Azazel101 wrote:either go back to 40 bands and a smaller boat (Majesty served us fine) or go to a 7 day cruise and add a 2nd port and space things out a bit more.
    just my suggestion

I don't think my liver or my bank account could handle 7 days...
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:18 am

Phoenix wrote:Don't say that Ville, I'm one of those little-bit-of-everything metalheads. I'd have SO many conflicts if they set up the stages like that.

At first I thought you meant the "70,000 Tons of Girlie Bands" cruise, and was about to agree, that, yeah, that would be a nightmare with a gazillion clashes. But you mean separating the brutal and the weenie bands on different stages, don't you? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    SABATON / ARKONA / STUCK MOJO / HEIDEVOLK / KILPI / SLAYER
    FOLK METAL / THRASH METAL
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:59 am

Memnoch wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:Don't say that Ville, I'm one of those little-bit-of-everything metalheads. I'd have SO many conflicts if they set up the stages like that.

At first I thought you meant the "70,000 Tons of Girlie Bands" cruise, and was about to agree, that, yeah, that would be a nightmare with a gazillion clashes. But you mean separating the brutal and the weenie bands on different stages, don't you? :lol:

That also, knowing my luck Edenbridge Therion and Nightwish would all be playing at the same time XD But yeah I mean the brutal and the weenie. What do I do when Overkill, Carach Angren and Bolt Thrower clash with Sabaton, Eluveitie and Metsatoll?
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Easy, you watch Bolt Thrower and the rest is sleep/eat/drink time. :P
    Wishlist:
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Memnoch wrote:Easy, you watch Bolt Thrower and the rest is sleep/eat/drink time. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vektor-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Memnoch wrote:Easy, you watch Bolt Thrower and the rest is sleep/eat/drink time. :P

Oh Ville. BloodyCanadian and VikingBitch better not hear you calling Overkill pizza time :P

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Harlo knows I'm anti-Overkill. :P
    Wishlist:
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:18 am

WizardBeast wrote:would much prefer 30-50 bands MAX. 42 -ish was already more than enough!

Agree million times.
    50 bands is max. Money saved on 10 bands cabins could be used to get better bands.
    Also, save $$$ on poolgirls (sorry nothing personal).
    Logistics will not get better, UMC showed it 6 times. They will keep changing order etc, so live with it.
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
  • picolic
    Wiper

by picolic » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Even for some of the bands, significant nbr of bands, it must have been kind of dispointing to know that there are 3400 people on board and only tem are attending your show...
    If we get back to 40 bands, there will be no overlaping and each show will be better for the bands and for the fans. This is only my humble opinion.
    Yeah! on the majesty first cruises the crew was a bit lost and they got better every year. I spoke to a Portuguese guy I met from the crew and he told me that they were not expecting "this experience". But they were enjoying it! For sure it will get better every year.
    Whatever happens we will all be there next year and rock the fucking boat! :viking:
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:32 pm

cowboy71 wrote:PERFECT SOLUTION!

Have one cruise just for veterans on the Majesty, and another open for anyone on the Liberty :D

A special cruise for venteran cruisers.
    Must have sailed at least 2 others
    :bmhorns: :deathhorns: :shred:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:13 pm

picolic wrote:Even for some of the bands, significant nbr of bands, it must have been kind of dispointing to know that there are 3400 people on board and only tem are attending your show...
    If we get back to 40 bands, there will be no overlaping and each show will be better for the bands and for the fans. This is only my humble opinion.

There were very empty shows back when we had 40 bands too.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Nocturnalbunny
    Oiler

by Nocturnalbunny » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:10 pm

I don't think there were too many bands, just too many bands that I wanted to see and was disappointed I had to miss.
    I don't like the idea of reducing the number of bands because that takes away slots from bands that I might like to see, on the other hand bands going on at 5:15 just shouldn't be... I think the latest a band should go on stage should be 3 am and off by 4. Bands should start playing at 9 at the earliest. Then you can have karaoke and if you want to try hockey again play it from 4 am until 9. Drunk hockey would be kind of fun to watch, (but probably a big liability). Anyway, fit as many bands as possible, but not so many that they have to play way into passed out drunk time.
  • Mr. HCI
    Crewman

by Mr. HCI » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:40 am

picolic wrote:Even for some of the bands, significant nbr of bands, it must have been kind of dispointing to know that there are 3400 people on board and only tem are attending your show...

I agree with this 100%. One of my biggest problems (though a good problem to have) was having to make choices between seeing bands I KNEW I liked, versus bands I thought I MIGHT like and wanted to see for the first time.

Lots of this could have been avoided by announcing the bands earlier (not to beat a dead horse).

For example: GURD was amazing. I had never heard of them until they were announced. But since I come from a 80's/90's NYHC background, I was blown away by their sound and energy, even their second show (?) at the Sphynx lounge. On the downside, I didn't get to see either COC or Napalm Death.. mostly because I decided I was having too much fun checking out the new-to-me music. I don't regret it but, again, if there was less overlap I might not have had to make that choice.

Oh well. I guess too much choice is better than not enough!
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 am

Announce bands way, way earlier = Hell yes.

Reduce number of bands = No fucking way. You'll miss bands because of overlappings. Deal with it. Enjoy what you get to see and forget about the rest.

End of the story.
    Wishlist:
    ALLEGAEON--Amaranthe--Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Devin.Townsend.Project--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--Dream.Theater--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Epica--Fleshgod-Apocalypse--Fractal.Gates--Gamma.Ray--Gloryhammer--Haken--HELLOWEEN.REUNION--In.Vain--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--MOONSORROW--MORS.PRINCIPIUM.EST--NE.OBLIVISCARIS--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--Onslaught--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Power.Quest--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--Soilwork--Stratovarius--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Teramaze--Therion--Unisonic--Unleash.the.Archers--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Witherscape

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:48 am

Mal2000 wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:would much prefer 30-50 bands MAX. 42 -ish was already more than enough!

Agree million times.
    50 bands is max. Money saved on 10 bands cabins could be used to get better bands.

THIS. I wouldn't want to see less than 50 bands on a ship with four stages (well, 3 stages plus that Sphinx crap), but 50 bands would allow later start times, earlier end times, less overlap, fewer logistical headaches and maybe even allow Andy to book bands timely.

Well, okay, that last part's a stretch.
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2019: Booked!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:51 am

I find it funny how people assume that having less bands would mean better quality. No, less is less.
    So, yeah, let's stick to sixty bands and hope there'll be some good bands among them.
    Wishlist:
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:12 am

Memnoch wrote:I find it funny how people assume that having less bands would mean better quality. No, less is less.
    So, yeah, let's stick to sixty bands and hope there'll be some good bands among them.

Rather than good bands or bad bands, which are extremely subjective terms, let's hope we get a lot of diversity, which is a more objective thing. This year we got sixty bands, which is good, but other years have been much more diverse with 20 less bands. This year some genres have been represented by a huge number of bands while others have been rather forgotten. So fingers crossed that ALL genres get a reasonable representation on the next cruise. We'll have a blast anyway, like we did three weeks ago, but diversity is always good.
    Wishlist:
    ALLEGAEON--Amaranthe--Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Devin.Townsend.Project--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--Dream.Theater--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Epica--Fleshgod-Apocalypse--Fractal.Gates--Gamma.Ray--Gloryhammer--Haken--HELLOWEEN.REUNION--In.Vain--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--MOONSORROW--MORS.PRINCIPIUM.EST--NE.OBLIVISCARIS--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--Onslaught--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Power.Quest--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--Soilwork--Stratovarius--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Teramaze--Therion--Unisonic--Unleash.the.Archers--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Witherscape

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:17 am

Yeah, diversity is good. Well, I wouldn't mind if we lacked in thrash bands or hard rock bands next year, because this year we got sooooo many of those. And, less thrash = moar betterer. :mrgreen:
    Wishlist:
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 am

I've never been a big Thrash metal fan, but the Thrash shows I've seen onbroad the last two years (Overkill, Death Angel, Heathen, Annihilator) have been a HUGE blast. So I say, keep'em coming! Although I agree we've had way too much thrash this year, I hope we keep getting some big names of the genre.
    Wishlist:

Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 am

We can swap the number of thrash bands and girlie bands from this year to next year :bangers:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:18 am

Speedy wrote:We can swap the number of thrash bands and girlie bands from this year to next year :bangers:

Seconded! :lol:
    Wishlist:
  • headlinerluxi
    Petty Officer

by headlinerluxi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:48 am

i want to have on board, 5-7 powermetal bands, 3-4 metal/trash bands and it's fine for me ....( see below my list)
    so i can visit 12-18 concerts hopefully on the pooldeck..have some fun, some drinks...and enjoy the sun

:3drunks: :3drunks: :3drunks:
    2012 survivor
    2013 survivor
    2014 survivor
    2016 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2019 !!!
    Savatage Queensryche Powerwolf Dokken Megadeth Mob Rules UDO Wasp Ripper Owens Tesla Y&T Armored Saint Testament Iced Earth Sabaton DAD Tesla Cinderella Brainstorm
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 am

bodomdragon wrote: This year we got sixty bands, which is good, but other years have been much more diverse with 20 less bands.

Well, when booking 60 bands UMC probably just took any available band they could afford, without paying attention to diversity. :mrgreen:
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Mal2000 wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote: This year we got sixty bands, which is good, but other years have been much more diverse with 20 less bands.

Well, when booking 60 bands UMC probably just took any available band they could afford, without paying attention to diversity. :mrgreen:

"Hey, sailors, here's some potential Cripper Award nominees for ya!" = "Here's some bands that very few people know about, who will play really cheap (free) and fill up our roster."

THAT's the sort of booking situation I'd love to see avoided if we had 50 bands onbroad instead of 60. But, yeah....there'd be no guarantee of quality with ten fewer bands.
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2019: Booked!
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Memnoch wrote:I find it funny how people assume that having less bands would mean better quality. No, less is less.

Exactly.

Also, the main problem with bands that only have ten people show up is that no one gives a fuck about them, maybe YOU do but that's just how things go. Playing at 5am might factor in a little bit but if it was Therion or Wintersun at 5am I would have been there.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Hanging-Garden-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-Inactive-Messiah-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Saor-/-Process-Of-Guilt-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Cellar-Darling-/-Clouds-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Oranssi-Pazuzu-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:09 am

Most of my favourites are those smaller bands, so the more "filler bands" we get, the better my chances of getting two-setters. And I'd much rather see a newcomer band hungry to show their talent to the audience for the first time than the same bands for the n'th time playing a safe set with zero surprises. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bands I've seen a million times over the years that I'd love to see again, but in most cases the younger or smaller bands put on far better live shows.
    Wishlist:
    Donnerklang
    Oiler

by Donnerklang » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am

Memnoch wrote:I think the perfect solution would be to use the Sphinx (if there's no better venue) for the smallest bands, then have, say, weenie/girlie/folk bands play in the theater and death/thrash/black in the ice rink venue (or vice versa) and only the biggest names on the pool deck (and the second set in the theater or ice rink). That way there could be a balanced lineup with probably 40 somewhat well-known bands and 20 small, Cripper award -worthy bands.

That would minimize unfortunate clashes that we saw this year. Sure, there'd always be clashes, but for most fans this should work quite nicely.

Ville - I agree! :cheers:
    70.000tons family cruise 2017: My two daugthers, my wife and me
    Krys
    Chief Petty Officer

by Krys » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:42 am

Honestly, it's a little of everything for me too. I thought 40 bands was plenty, because with 60 bands the last 20 announcements or so happened too quickly to get to know any of the unknown acts.
    2014 - Cabin 4537!
    2015 - Cabin 6471!
    2016 - ???
    2017 - Likely my return :D .
  • Daniellica
    Wiper

by Daniellica » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 am

I actually think there were too many bands as well. 40 bands left time for hanging out with friends, and actually being able to do stuff on the boat. Such as eat. 60 bands had a great 'wow' factor, but that's about it. I would have preferred the smaller number.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:53 am

I really don't get why people complain about having TOO MANY bands. I try my best, but I just don't get it. It's like going to a beer festival and complaining because there is too much beer. Or going to a movie festival and claiming they're playing too many movies. Or watching porn and saying that there's too much sex on it. I just don't get it, sorry folks. No one is FORCING you to go to these shows. I didn't attend to some shows I wanted to (Arch Enemy, Primal Fear...) because in the last minute I decided to do something else at that moment - go to other shows, hang out with friends, the surf simulator, WHATEVER. Why on Earth would I have preferred these bands, or others, not to be onbroad? That's actually selfish.

More bands = more things to do onbroad every time. That CANNOT be a bad thing. Just organize your time and deal with the fact that you'll miss stuff. But that will be because you're doing something you like better.
    Wishlist:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

Yup, more is more.
    And yes, I'd actually love to have the problem of having to see too many bands. Well, fair enough, there's always Neurotic Deathfest for that.

Judging by the after cruise rank bank thread quite a lot of people decided to skip some bands because there was something better to do at that time. I had only a handful of bands I wanted to see, and still ended up missing some of them because I had so much fun doing something else. And I'm not bummed in the least bit about it.
    Wishlist:
  • headlinerluxi
    Petty Officer

by headlinerluxi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 am

40/45 bands and a ship with a better karaoke area would be better,
    prefer quality than quantity, even if i like some "smaller" and unknown bands. :metalguy: :metalguy:
    2012 survivor
    2013 survivor
    2014 survivor
    2016 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2019 !!!
    Savatage Queensryche Powerwolf Dokken Megadeth Mob Rules UDO Wasp Ripper Owens Tesla Y&T Armored Saint Testament Iced Earth Sabaton DAD Tesla Cinderella Brainstorm
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 am

Again, thinking than less quantity means more quality, or vice versa, is a huge mistake, mainly because 'quality' is the most subjective term ever. With 40 bands instead of 60 you get less chances to get a good number of bands you like... it's math for little children. Did we get more quality on previous cruises than on the last one? Once again, subjectivity. The only objective thing is that you had 50% more bands to choose among.

"But but... what if we do a cruise with 3000 passengers (2015) and 40 bands (till 2014), then we would have less bands but more quality than this year, because the same money goes to less bands!"

Please, NO. Ok, we all like some big names, but do we ONLY like big names? Well, certainly not me. First, I DEFINITELY prefer to have Scar Symmetry, Omnium Gatherum, Gloryhammer and Voyager rather than Judas Priest, WASP, Kiss and Motley Crüe. Of course, that's only me. Second, as I said, I prefer to have 60 options rather than 40. And third, 120 shows means smaller average audiences to each concert than 80 shows (exactly one third less) and I don't like overcrowded shows so that's good too.

Just my two cents anyway.
    Wishlist:

• Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:56 am

bodomdragon wrote: Ok, we all like some big names, but do we ONLY like big names? Well, certainly not me. First, I DEFINITELY prefer to have Scar Symmetry, Omnium Gatherum, Gloryhammer and Voyager rather than Judas Priest, WASP, Kiss and Motley Crüe. Of course, that's only me. Second, as I said, I prefer to have 60 options rather than 40. And third, 120 shows means smaller average audiences to each concert than 80 shows (exactly one third less) and I don't like overcrowded shows so that's good too.

Big names are big, because they've been around for an extended period of time. I don't know about you, but I'm just not a big fan of those bigger, older bands even though I respect the hell out of them if fewer bands meant we had a lineup dominated by these names, I wouldn't have enough variety or interest to want to go. Yeah I didn't go to nearly as many of the shows I WANTED to go see, but I saw the important ones and I met a lot of cool people. This was also my first year, so next year I have a good idea of how to be more prepared.

If more bands winds up meaning more variety and less sleep... I guess I'll have to take up coffee for a week.

Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 am

bodomdragon wrote:Again, thinking than less quantity means more quality, or vice versa, is a huge mistake, mainly because 'quality' is the most subjective term ever. With 40 bands instead of 60 you get less chances to get a good number of bands you like... it's math for little children. Did we get more quality on previous cruises than on the last one? Once again, subjectivity. The only objective thing is that you had 50% more bands to choose among.

"But but... what if we do a cruise with 3000 passengers (2015) and 40 bands (till 2014), then we would have less bands but more quality than this year, because the same money goes to less bands!"

Please, NO. Ok, we all like some big names, but do we ONLY like big names? Well, certainly not me. First, I DEFINITELY prefer to have Scar Symmetry, Omnium Gatherum, Gloryhammer and Voyager rather than Judas Priest, WASP, Kiss and Motley Crüe. Of course, that's only me. Second, as I said, I prefer to have 60 options rather than 40. And third, 120 shows means smaller average audiences to each concert than 80 shows (exactly one third less) and I don't like overcrowded shows so that's good too.

Exactly.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Hanging-Garden-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-Inactive-Messiah-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Saor-/-Process-Of-Guilt-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Cellar-Darling-/-Clouds-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Oranssi-Pazuzu-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • Jotunheimr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jotunheimr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:03 am

bodomdragon wrote:Again, thinking than less quantity means more quality, or vice versa, is a huge mistake, mainly because 'quality' is the most subjective term ever. With 40 bands instead of 60 you get less chances to get a good number of bands you like... it's math for little children. Did we get more quality on previous cruises than on the last one? Once again, subjectivity. The only objective thing is that you had 50% more bands to choose among.

I think you summed everything up perfectly here. The quality of bands is in the eye of the beholder and I think what you described here essentially is the Motorboat, where there are less bands but most of them are big names. Hell, I'd be down to increase the number of bands to 100 even with the same 4-day schedule so there would be more favorites in the line up for me and for everyone else. Then again we would be sacrificing time for eating/drinking/socializing if there are more bands of interest.
    2020 Wishlist: Finntroll-/-Haggard-/-Korpiklaani-/-Moonsorrow-/-Turisas