Post Reply 2911 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2016 Megathread
  • germanegyptiangirl
    Oiler

Re: 3 More from 3 Different Countries

by germanegyptiangirl » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:10 pm

I would be the happiest person ever if Amon Amarth, Agalloch, Gloryhammer, and Swallow the Sun got announced. I have seen Amon Amarth before ( at least 3-4 times) but they are always amazing and one of my favourite bands. Until now I love the line up and there are more bands I want to see this year than in the past years so it works out. I am not interested in the last 3 bands that were announced but I have so many bands I want to see on the cruise that I am alright with only getting 1 or 2 more bands that interest me. Still have this hope that the 4 bands I mentioned would be announced, but I somehow doubt that there is much chance for Agalloch to be announced.
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:14 pm

I am beginning to think that our expectations are a little too high at this stage of the game.

Having said that, i am hoping for at least two relatively big bands in the "next round".
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Metaladdict187 wrote:I am beginning to think that our expectations are a little too high at this stage of the game.

Having said that, i am hoping for at least two relatively big bands in the "next round".

One big, one mid, 2 small but heard before and 6/7....who?
    metal4ever
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    I'd really love to see DT and Keep of Kalessin again. :headbanger:

...i would love to see them, too! i haven't seen them in years. love those guys!! bring on the KoK!!! ;)
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: BOOKED!
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:34 pm

broegaard wrote:
    Metaladdict187 wrote:I am beginning to think that our expectations are a little too high at this stage of the game.

Sounds about right........

But the big question, will we know these 10 bands before we sail..........
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

I have a strong suspicion that either Cage or Death Dealer gonna be onbroad.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Metalwrath wrote:I have a strong suspicion that either Cage or Death Dealer gonna be onbroad.

I would be stoked with either of these!

But if we could have only one I would take Cage, as Death Dealer as touring Australia later this year.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm making a radical assumption here.

I'm assuming you aren't TROLLING AGAIN ! :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:19 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:I have a strong suspicion that either Cage or Death Dealer gonna be onbroad.

I would be stoked with either of these!

But if we could have only one I would take Cage, as Death Dealer as touring Australia later this year.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm making a radical assumption here.

I'm assuming you aren't TROLLING AGAIN ! :P

Pfft i never troll XD
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:33 pm

You know, i am kinda disappointed. In previous years, we had cool, unique "surprises". I.e. Fear Factory playing Demanufacture in its entirty. Metal Church letting the fans choose their setlist, and so on.

This year, nothing yet. Thoughts......?????
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Still time to find out about special events.

We didn't officially get informed about the Blind Guardian or Apocalyptica listening parties until the day we sailed last year.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Metaladdict187 wrote:You know, i am kinda disappointed. In previous years, we had cool, unique "surprises". I.e. Fear Factory playing Demanufacture in its entirty. Metal Church letting the fans choose their setlist, and so on.

This year, nothing yet. Thoughts......?????

Off the top of my head, Moonspell is playing Irreligious one of their sets. Can't recall anything otherwise though...
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:50 pm

broegaard wrote:

Pretty much matches my predictions:

AMON AMARTH - big
    KAMELOT - mid
    SONATA ARCTICA - mid
    AMARANTHE - Smaller
    CIRCLE II CIRCLE - Smaller
    CRYPTOPSY - Smaller
    HAVOK - Smaller
    ASHES OF ARES - Small
    PATHFINDER - Small
    THRASH OR DIE - Small
    UNLEASH THE ARCHERS - Small

Note that there is ZERO chance of these all being right - purely because, I KNOW WHO THEY ALL ARE :P Usually the last 10 bands there are about half of them I have never even heard of before.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Just in case anyone else is interested I went through the bands announced so far and made some notes according to which genre they fall into (or most resemble in the case of some that cross lines). I used wiki's and metal archives and listened to them on Youtube. Also noted what country they are from. Gathered this info mainly for my friend who is not a metalhead and for myself because I don't know most of these bands either. I'll use it as a cheatsheet of sorts to figure out who I want to see once the schedule is out.

Where they are from:
    Germany, England/UK and Sweden all have 6.
    Finland, Netherlands and USA all have 4.
    Italy, Norway and Switzerland are all at 3.
    Austria and Greece each have 2.
    Colombia, Portugal, Poland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Brazil and Belgium are all at 1.

Oviously some of these can be easily put into different categories. This is just my opinion of where they fall based on what I looked up about them. It's a better mix than I would have guessed.

Power 12
    (Dragonforce, Epica, Firewind, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Rhapsody of Fire, Squealer, Stratovarius, Twilight Force, Visions of Atlantis)

Black 10
    (Ancient Rites, Aura Noir, Belphegor, Carach Angren, Cradle of Filth, Painful, Rotting Christ, Samael, Susperia, Tsjuder)

Folk 7
    (Abinchova, Eluveitie, Skalmold, Svbway to Sally, Thyrfing, Turisas, TYR)

Death 5
    (At The Gates, Bloodbath, Dia De Los Muertos, Krisiun, Vallenfyre)

Thrash 4
    (Distillator, Holy Moses, Sodom, Vader)

Doom 3
    (Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost)

Gothic 2
    (Lacuna Coil, Moonspell)

Melodic Death 2
    (Children of Bodom, Insomnium)

Hard Rock 1
    (Raven)

Heavy Metal 1
    (Iced Earth)

Industrial 1
    (Koyi K Utho)

Symphonic 1
    (Delain)

Tech Death 1
    (Fleshgod Apocalypse)
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskFsgBhm
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah those figures pretty much match my own.

Very happy with the diversity of this year's lineup, but still hope for a bucketlist band or two in the remaining ten!

Another interesting thing to look at is the breakdown of repeats this year. Currently about 50% of the lineup have been on previously (counting those that were on Barge to Hell), with several three-peats (Raven, Tyr, Sodom and Moonspell):

2011 repeats Epica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Moonspell, Raven, Tyr
    2012 repeats Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Hammerfall, My Dying Bride, Samael, Sodom, Stratovarius
    2013 repeats Delain, Dragonforce, Lacuna Coil, Subway to Sally, Turisas, Tyr
    2014 repeats Raven
    BTH repeats At The Gates, Holy Moses, Krisiun, Moonspell, Paradise Lost, Rotting Christ Sodom
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
  • Jotunheimr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jotunheimr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:08 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Yeah those figures pretty much match my own.

Very happy with the diversity of this year's lineup, but still hope for a bucketlist band or two in the remaining ten!

Another interesting thing to look at is the breakdown of repeats this year. Currently 50% of the lineup have been on previously (counting those that were on Barge to Hell), with one three-peat (Raven):

2011 repeats Epica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Moonspell, Raven, Tyr
    2012 repeats Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Hammerfall, My Dying Bride, Samael, Sodom, Stratovarius
    2013 repeats Delain, Dragonforce, Lacuna Coil, Subway to Sally, Turisas, Tyr
    2014 repeats Raven
    BTH repeats At The Gates, Holy Moses, Krisiun, Moonspell, Paradise Lost, Sodom

Tyr, Sodom, and Moonspell are also three-peats.
    2020 Wishlist: Borknagar-/-Finntroll-/-Haggard-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Moonsorrow-/-Savatage-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Turisas
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Whoops - yes they are :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    TEKWRX
    Oiler

by TEKWRX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:25 pm

Rotting Christ was on BTH (see my avatar pic, lol)
    ----------------------------
    BTH Survivor (2012)
    70k 2016 Survivor
    ----------------------------
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08 am

elj4176 wrote:Oviously some of these can be easily put into different categories. This is just my opinion of where they fall based on what I looked up about them. It's a better mix than I would have guessed.

Death 5

Thrash 4

Melodic Death 2

The only "pure" death metal bands onbroad are Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. At the Gates belongs in melodic death. DdlM is mostly thrash as is the newer Krisiun. Vader is more death metal, but definitely has a lot of thrash in their music as well.
    And as strange as it sounds, there are a lot of thrash fans who can't stand death metal and vice versa. So the thrashy death or deathy thrash bands belong in a category of their own, deathrash.
    The reason I want to distinguish the difference in these genres is that even if the lineup is quite well-rounded, the death and thrash fans have a good reason to be a tad upset. Three thrash bands and two death bands and a couple of crossovers of the two. Fair enough, there's been a lot of thrash on some of the previous cruises (one could say the genre has been quite over-represented in the past), but it is the most popular of the "extreme" genres. And as much as I love death metal, I do understand it isn't a popular genre (with the exception of some bigger names that have some "mainstream" appeal). But we've gotten some amazing death metal bands in the past in the likes of Immolation and Malevolent Creation, so not having any of them on the lineup is a bit baffling.

At least I have some girlie bands to look forward to. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 am

Memnoch wrote:
    elj4176 wrote:Oviously some of these can be easily put into different categories. This is just my opinion of where they fall based on what I looked up about them. It's a better mix than I would have guessed.

Death 5

Thrash 4

Melodic Death 2

The only "pure" death metal bands onbroad are Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. At the Gates belongs in melodic death. DdlM is mostly thrash as is the newer Krisiun. Vader is more death metal, but definitely has a lot of thrash in their music as well.
    And as strange as it sounds, there are a lot of thrash fans who can't stand death metal and vice versa. So the thrashy death or deathy thrash bands belong in a category of their own, deathrash.
    The reason I want to distinguish the difference in these genres is that even if the lineup is quite well-rounded, the death and thrash fans have a good reason to be a tad upset. Three thrash bands and two death bands and a couple of crossovers of the two. Fair enough, there's been a lot of thrash on some of the previous cruises (one could say the genre has been quite over-represented in the past), but it is the most popular of the "extreme" genres. And as much as I love death metal, I do understand it isn't a popular genre (with the exception of some bigger names that have some "mainstream" appeal). But we've gotten some amazing death metal bands in the past in the likes of Immolation and Malevolent Creation, so not having any of them on the lineup is a bit baffling.

I agree 100% just cause it has thrash influence or death influence doesn't put it in that category. I'm a lover of both and I think Andy has a couple left for us. This cruise misses that old school thrash bands and death bands that every other cruise has had.
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 am

cowboy71 wrote:AMON AMARTH - big
    KAMELOT - mid
    SONATA ARCTICA - mid
    AMARANTHE - Smaller
    CIRCLE II CIRCLE - Smaller
    CRYPTOPSY - Smaller
    HAVOK - Smaller
    ASHES OF ARES - Small
    PATHFINDER - Small
    THRASH OR DIE - Small
    UNLEASH THE ARCHERS - Small

This would be perdect even though i don't know most of these... Kamelot, Sonata and Amaranthe would make this perfect, i could even forgive the infamously complete lack of Prog haha
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
  • broegaard
    Chief Petty Officer

by broegaard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:32 am

It would be fun to have one BIG/MID Mystery Band. No announcement, no name at the first running order(Just a question mark). We would find out minutes before the gig!!!
    metal4ever
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:08 am

Memnoch wrote:

Agreed and that's originally how I had them slotted. As a fan of metal that's not folk/power/black I was trying to make the death metal category look a little better. I had to add them in so I had a few bands to go see. :death:
    Another genre that is ignored is stoner/sludge (Monolord, Electric Wiizard, YOB, EyeHateGod) and I see there hasn't been any of that type of band on the previous cruises either so that's not a surprise. Booking 1 or 2 of them instead of more power/black/folk would add some variety though.
    Also saw someone on here calling for some Prog. Not my cup of tea but not represented at all as I'm sure there are many other genres not represented at all.

Just trying to start the discussion without bitching about it. If we want more/less of a genre for next year how do we go about it?
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 am

I guess we are getting Fallujah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPypRw7yvVQ
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Hanging-Garden-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-Inactive-Messiah-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Saor-/-Process-Of-Guilt-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Numenorean-/-Clouds-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Oranssi-Pazuzu-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:47 am

Maybe, based off of last year and this year, bands that played 2 years ago can only play if they've played twice before:

2016 - Raven: 2011 & 2014
    2015 - Ensiferum: 2011 & 2013
    2015 - Refuge/Rage: 2011 & 2013 w/LMO

So if I'm right, then the following bands are eligible form 2014 to play this year:

cowboy71 wrote:2014 - 14 (couting Kamelot who cancelled)
    2011 - Cripper, Dark Tranquillity, Death Angel, Finntroll, Raven, Swashbuckle, Twilight of the Gods
    2012 - Fear Factory, Kamelot, Massacre, Orphaned Land, Overkill, Vicious Rumors
    BTH - Soilwork
    Wishlist
    Æther-Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amaon-Amarth-/-Amaranthe-/-Amorphis-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Annihilator-/-Arch-Enemy-/-Arkona-/-Asenblut-/-Avantasia-/-Avartarium-/-Axxis-/-Babymetal-/-Battlecross-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Be'lakor-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodbound-/-Brendon-Small-/-Brymir-/-Cain's-Offering-/-Carach-Angren-/-Cattle-Decapitation-/-Children-Of-Bodom-/-Chthonic-/-Crimson-Shadows-/-Dalriada-/-Derdian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dying-Fetus-/-Edguy-/-Eluveitie-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evil-Scarecrow-/-Ex-Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Falconer-/-Fallujah-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Galneryus-/-Ghost-B.C.-/-Gloryhammer-/-Goatwhore-/-God-Dethroned-/-Gojira-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Iron-Savior-/-Kalmah-/-Kamelot-/-Lagerstein-/-Moonsorrow-/-Mors-Principium-Est-/-Nanowar-Of-Steel-/-Nightwish-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Powerwolf-/-Rumahoy-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio-Mortis-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Skyfire-/-Solar-Fragment-/-Steel-Panther-/-Swashbuckle-/-Symphony-X-/-The-Dread-Crew-Of-Oddwood-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Twilight-Force-/-Týr-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Valhalore-/-Van-Canto-/-Visigoth-/-Wintersun-/-Ye-Banished-Privateers
    70k2015 Survivor - 2328
    70k2016 Survivor - 7511
    70k2017 Survivor - 6523
    70k2019 - 3336
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 am

Razor Ramon wrote:I guess we are getting Fallujah

Awesome news.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 am

Can verify no Eyehategod onbroad. :cry:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:58 am

biertroll wrote:Can verify no Eyehategod onbroad. :cry:

Yeah I was just using them as an example of a well-known sludge band that would likely have some supporters onbroad. Saw them with Enabler and Ringworm. Good show!
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    Madkill
    Petty Officer

by Madkill » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 am

Give me Black Earth...
    "All in the same boat
    Rockin' on the same route,
    We gotta get together, join each other"
    - Bob Marley
    torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:00 am

big perken wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:

Death 5

Thrash 4

Melodic Death 2

I agree 100% just cause it has thrash influence or death influence doesn't put it in that category. I'm a lover of both and I think Andy has a couple left for us. This cruise misses that old school thrash bands and death bands that every other cruise has had.

110% agree with Memnoch :beerwink:
    Never understood why the majority of my fellow thrashheads aren't into death.
    Personally, I like both melo- and straight-up death metal equally. :death: :viking:
    And,
    keeping fingers crossed that cowboy71 predictions are on target!
    Getting both AA and Havok onboard would make this dude's day! :headbanger: :beerbang:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:05 am

And now the countdown for Andy cancelling them is on! :lol:
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 am

is that what it said on your secret memo?
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 am

Nice! I now have goosebumps, I fucking love this band. I hope they play something off their new album.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
  • CFH
    Crewman

by CFH » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:13 am

torpedo20 wrote:Never understood why the majority of my fellow thrashheads aren't into death.

I also have a couple of friends who are really into thrash, but dislike death. They say it's the vocals that turn them off, and I got to admit, that back in the day it got me a while to get used to them as well. Also there is the fact that death metal songs tend to have more obscure structures, so they aren't as catchy as thrash metal.

I myself love both genres, even though over the years both have gotten a bit repetitive. Really glad there are bands like Fallujah, Septicflesh and Gojira, who give these genres a good twist and a breath of fresh air.
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:19 am

elj4176 wrote:
    biertroll wrote:Can verify no Eyehategod onbroad. :cry:

Yeah I was just using them as an example of a well-known sludge band that would likely have some supporters onbroad. Saw them with Enabler and Ringworm. Good show!

Indeed! They are fun guys too. Totally would fit right in onbroad.
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:25 am

torpedo20 wrote:Never understood why the majority of my fellow thrashheads aren't into death.

Can't speak for all non-death thrashheads but, for me, it's just the vocals that lose me. I could listen to death and even lots of black metal all day long if it was all instrumental :metalguy:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 am

There are bad vocalists in any genre, including death metal but not liking any death metal because of the vocals is sad IMO.

I for one, cannot stand Chris Barnes' vocals but he's only one death metal vocalist out of thousands. If I didn't get into DM because of Barnes then I'd be missing out on an entirely amazing genre.

Take a guy like Travis Ryan, dude is an amazing vocalist. He can pull off vocals anywhere from gutturals to high pitched screams. And if you like your vocals where you can understand the words, then he's up there.

My point is, there are lots of vocalists that suck, and for everyone that sucks, there are ten that do it really well. Lots of great DM bands out there, keep looking and maybe you'll find one where you can appreciate the vocals and the music together.

... :deathmetal:
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:12 am

Memnoch wrote:And as strange as it sounds, there are a lot of thrash fans who can't stand death metal and vice versa.

I definitely fall into the "vice versa" group. Despite growing up during the golden age of thrash, with the exception of the genre's standard-bearers I have little use for thrash. That said, I have become a big fan of death metal over the last decade.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:47 am

elj4176 wrote:Just in case anyone else is interested I went through the bands announced so far and made some notes according to which genre they fall into (or most resemble in the case of some that cross lines). I used wiki's and metal archives and listened to them on Youtube. Also noted what country they are from. Gathered this info mainly for my friend who is not a metalhead and for myself because I don't know most of these bands either. I'll use it as a cheatsheet of sorts to figure out who I want to see once the schedule is out.

Where they are from:
    Germany, England/UK and Sweden all have 6.
    Finland, Netherlands and USA all have 4.
    Italy, Norway and Switzerland are all at 3.
    Austria and Greece each have 2.
    Colombia, Portugal, Poland, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Brazil and Belgium are all at 1.

Oviously some of these can be easily put into different categories. This is just my opinion of where they fall based on what I looked up about them. It's a better mix than I would have guessed.

Power 12
    (Dragonforce, Epica, Firewind, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Rhapsody of Fire, Squealer, Stratovarius, Twilight Force, Visions of Atlantis)

Black 10
    (Ancient Rites, Aura Noir, Belphegor, Carach Angren, Cradle of Filth, Painful, Rotting Christ, Samael, Susperia, Tsjuder)

Folk 7
    (Abinchova, Eluveitie, Skalmold, Svbway to Sally, Thyrfing, Turisas, TYR)

Death 5

Thrash 4

Doom 3
    (Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost)

Gothic 2
    (Lacuna Coil, Moonspell)

Melodic Death 2

Hard Rock 1
    (Raven)

Heavy Metal 1
    (Iced Earth)

Industrial 1
    (Koyi K Utho)

Symphonic 1
    (Delain)

Tech Death 1
    (Fleshgod Apocalypse)

This list is quite innacurate.
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 am

Metalwrath wrote:This list is quite innacurate.

Agreed and I said as much when I posted it. I don't know most of these bands and used their wiki or metal archives to pick a category. The point was to start a conversation about the lack of variety - not to argue over which genre a band fits into. Also to give me a general guideline of which bands I might want to check out and which ones to ignore.
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:34 am

elj4176 wrote:Agreed and I said as much when I posted it. I don't know most of these bands and used their wiki or metal archives to pick a category. The point was to start a conversation about the lack of variety - not to argue over which genre a band fits into.

I don't think there's a lack of variety. The variety that exists may not align with previous years and some sub-genres may be over or under-represented. However, when you have everyone from Delain to Vader, Ancient Rites to Epica, and Cradle of Filth to Raven, it's hard to say the lineup lacks variety. Also, many of these bands play music that crosses genre boundaries and can't be easily classified.

elj4176 wrote:Also to give me a general guideline of which bands I might want to check out and which ones to ignore.

Just to clarify, are you saying you're unfamiliar with most of these bands and are looking for recommendations?
Post Reply 2911 posts