Post Reply 2911 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2016 Megathread
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: 3 More from 3 Different Countries

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 am

General Zod wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:And as strange as it sounds, there are a lot of thrash fans who can't stand death metal and vice versa.

I definitely fall into the "vice versa" group. Despite growing up during the golden age of thrash, with the exception of the genre's standard-bearers I have little use for thrash. That said, I have become a big fan of death metal over the last decade.

I'm one of the few metalheads around the age of 40 who has never owned a Slayer album, not even a copied cassette. Thrash just doesn't do anything for me. I do like Vader though, but then again they are mostly death metal. And Megadeth has made a couple of good albums in the past (Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia), but I guess they're not really thrash either.

So if I got a dream lineup there'd be zero thrash, but I do get others want it. And I'm not saying there should be a lot of death metal. Maybe one or two old school bands from the U.S. (Immolation, Disma...), same from Sweden (Cut Up, Insision...) and from the Netherlands (Asphyx, Antropomorphia...). Shouldn't be too much to ask.

Ok, I'll get my wish at the Netherlands Deathfest and at Stonehenge Festival in July. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:11 pm

General Zod wrote:
    elj4176 wrote:Agreed and I said as much when I posted it. I don't know most of these bands and used their wiki or metal archives to pick a category. The point was to start a conversation about the lack of variety - not to argue over which genre a band fits into.

I don't think there's a lack of variety. The variety that exists may not align with previous years and some sub-genres may be over or under-represented. However, when you have everyone from Delain to Vader, Anceint Rites to Epica, and Cradle of Filth to Raven, it's hard to say the lineup lacks variety. Also, may of these bands play music that crosses genre boundaries and can't be easily classified.

elj4176 wrote:Also to give me a general guideline of which bands I might want to check out and which ones to ignore.

Just to clarify, are you saying you're unfamiliar with most of these bands and are looking for recommendations?

Not looking for recommendations. Not a fan of power/black/folk metal. When I say that I don't know these bands I mean that I don't listen to them or have never heard of them other than checking them out when they were announced. There are 3 bands announced so far that I have in my music collection. Those 3 were in the early announcements and that's when I booked. It's safe to say the lineup as a whole is not for me. And that's fine. If it was 30 death metal bands then we would be hearing from the people who don't care for death metal but I would also be there saying that it should be a more even mix.

Lack of variety was not the right way to put it. We do have bands from both ends of the spectrum for sure. A lot of them do cross genre boundaries and that's why I said it's just a guideline for me to use and maybe someone else might find it interesting. I generally picked what their wiki's listed as their current genre. A good example is Iced Earth. Their wiki says heavy metal, power metal and Thrash. The first one listed is Heavy metal so that's where I put them. When I listened to them that seemed like the right box for them. There wasn't a ton of research put into it.

So back to a question I asked earlier - is there a process to request bands for next year so there is a more even mix or does UMC just pick whatever they want or can get?
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskFsgBhm
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 pm

There's usually an active wish list thread that may or may not get some attention from the organizers but, other than that or simply contacting UMC directly, no, there's no formal method of making artist requests.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 pm

elj4176 wrote:So back to a question I asked earlier - is there a process to request bands for next year so there is a more even mix or does UMC just pick whatever they want or can get?

There is always a wishlist thread created.

And one of my unofficial :P duties as statsman is that I collate all the wishlist, aggregate them and send them to Andy.

He definitely listens as a large number of the bands on the lineup featured highly in the combined wishlist.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:09 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    elj4176 wrote:So back to a question I asked earlier - is there a process to request bands for next year so there is a more even mix or does UMC just pick whatever they want or can get?

There is always a wishlist thread created.

And one of my unofficial :P duties as statsman is that I collate all the wishlist, aggregate them and send them to Andy.

He definitely listens as a large number of the bands on the lineup featured highly in the combined wishlist.

Don't forget to corner him on the ship and let him know who you want to play on future cruises. He loves that. :mrgreen:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:09 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:There's usually an active wish list thread that may or may not get some attention from the organizers but, other than that or simply contacting UMC directly, no, there's no formal method of making artist requests.

I simply told Wolfgang on the boat last year that they should book Insomnium... that works too apparently! :)
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Warphine wrote:There are bad vocalists in any genre, including death metal but not liking any death metal because of the vocals is sad IMO.

I for one, cannot stand Chris Barnes' vocals but he's only one death metal vocalist out of thousands. If I didn't get into DM because of Barnes then I'd be missing out on an entirely amazing genre.

Take a guy like Travis Ryan, dude is an amazing vocalist. He can pull off vocals anywhere from gutturals to high pitched screams. And if you like your vocals where you can understand the words, then he's up there.

My point is, there are lots of vocalists that suck, and for everyone that sucks, there are ten that do it really well. Lots of great DM bands out there, keep looking and maybe you'll find one where you can appreciate the vocals and the music together.

... :deathmetal:

I totally get your point and appreciate the post. Thing is, for me personally, the sad thing is that I miss out on so much great guitar, bass, drums n fun because of a vocal style that simply holds no appeal for me. It's not a question of talent so much as the artists' choice to present a style I find unenjoyable. Whereas you find one in ten lack the talent to impress you, I find nine out of ten simply annoy me and make the music impossible to tolerate. I wish it was otherwise as I tend to look for the good in things/ppl/music and would love a whole other metal sub genre to explore n enjoy but I've tried with death n black n just can't get there :cry:

General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Memnoch wrote:I'm one of the few metalheads around the age of 40 who has never owned a Slayer album, not even a copied cassette.

I'm with you in that small niche. Perhaps we should begin a support group? :cheers:

I love old Metallica, Overkill, Megadeth and Anthrax. However, my use for thrash pretty abruptly ends there.

Memnoch wrote:So if I got a dream lineup there'd be zero thrash, but I do get others want it.

Same here. I'm all for a balanced line up. After all, we all need to eat. That said, I'd prefer a bit more black metal. Would love to see someone like Inquisition, Agalloch, Marduk, Mgla, Vreid, etc. announced in the final ten.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:24 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:I totally get your point and appreciate the post. Thing is, for me personally, the sad thing is that I miss out on so much great guitar, bass, drums n fun because of a vocal style that simply holds no appeal for me. It's not a question of talent so much as the artists' choice to present a style I find unenjoyable. Whereas you find one in ten lack the talent to impress you, I find nine out of ten simply annoy me and make the music impossible to tolerate. I wish it was otherwise as I tend to look for the good in things/ppl/music and would love a whole other metal sub genre to explore n enjoy but I've tried with death n black n just can't get there :cry:

That's a shame. I have a few friends who are big time prog metal fans who feel similarly. I actually feel bad for metalheads who can't appreciate extreme vocals. As you point out, it removes a lot of great music from the mix. And more to the point, I find that the most creative bands these days are bands who use harsh vocals.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:37 pm

I used to hate death metal vocals too, about 12 or 13 years ago. But then I got into Opeth and I discovered a deep and profound appreciation for the style thanks to their amazing talent and ability to blend both clean and harsh vocals into a single song.

It changed my life.

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Warphine wrote:I used to hate death metal vocals too, about 12 or 13 years ago. But then I got into Opeth and I discovered a deep and profound appreciation for the style thanks to their amazing talent and ability to blend both clean and harsh vocals into a single song

This. Opeth is a gateway band.
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Kay from Eluveitie isn't able to join, but Snæbjörn from Skálmöld will play bass for them instead. This means no overlap between Eluveitie and Skálmöld :wank: :wank: :wank:
    Last edited by Speedy on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Warphine wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:I guess we are getting Fallujah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPypRw7yvVQ

Nice! I now have goosebumps, I fucking love this band. I hope they play something off their new album.

Yknow, I think I missed them at MDF but if you're saying they're a solid band then I'll have to at least watch one of their sets.
    Hope Andy doesn't cancel them.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Warphine wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:There's usually an active wish list thread that may or may not get some attention from the organizers but, other than that or simply contacting UMC directly, no, there's no formal method of making artist requests.

I simply told Wolfgang on the boat last year that they should book Insomnium... that works too apparently! :)

I told Andy last year I wanted My Dying Bride back and to get Katatonia for this year. I failed to mention Draconian though, my number one want, what an asshole..
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Hanging-Garden-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-Inactive-Messiah-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Saor-/-Process-Of-Guilt-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Numenorean-/-Clouds-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Oranssi-Pazuzu-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:13 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    Warphine wrote:
    Razor Ramon wrote:I guess we are getting Fallujah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPypRw7yvVQ

Nice! I now have goosebumps, I fucking love this band. I hope they play something off their new album.

Yknow, I think I missed them at MDF but if you're saying they're a solid band then I'll have to at least watch one of their sets.
    Hope Andy doesn't cancel them.

You missed them at MDF because they never played MDF. :lol:

But yeah, check 'em out dude. Awesome atmospheric death metal.

Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Razor Ramon wrote:
    Warphine wrote:

I told Andy last year I wanted My Dying Bride back and to get Katatonia for this year. I failed to mention Draconian though, my number one want, what an asshole..

You need to give yourself a thumbs down for not asking for Draconian.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vektor-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm

This EP from Fallujah is incredible and dynamic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjyCb43f7tc

• elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:32 pm

mooyagi wrote:Don't forget to corner him on the ship and let him know who you want to play on future cruises. He loves that. :mrgreen:

Haha! Sounds like a fast way to punched in the skull.

Wishlist thread- got it!
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:07 pm

UMC is trolling again on Facebook asking us if we will be there for round 6 when they even haven't started the final round of band announcements.... :bitch: :lol: Well...at least I only have to work 3 more days before flying out Tuesday morning :beerhorns:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Warphine wrote:This EP from Fallujah is incredible and dynamic.

Hmmmm, thought for sure they played one of the more recent MDFs, maybe their name is on CDF or something else I see everyday. Anyway, 'll check em out.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:50 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:

Hmmmm, thought for sure they played one of the more recent MDFs, maybe their name is on CDF or something else I see everyday. Anyway, 'll check em out.

I just started going to MDF in 2014 so it's possible they were on years prior to that year.

biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Dude Dying Fetus is a like on the 70K Twitter?

Crossing fingers!!! Come on Andy!!!
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 pm

biertroll wrote:Dude Dying Fetus is a like on the 70K Twitter?

That would be an awesome add! :shred:
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:50 pm

biertroll wrote:Dude Dying Fetus is a like on the 70K Twitter?

70k are following Dying Fetus not a like .Unless someone accidentally followed them ,they are problably on the ship.
    My wishlist 2019 A band just one band before Christmas!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
  • zboy
    Oiler

by zboy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Symphony x?
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

A DEAD CROSS To Start The Final Round Of Our Game

by Andy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:58 pm

With one week until sailing, let's start this final round of our game with something extra special. 70000TONS OF METAL has always gone above and beyond to bring our Sailors exclusive, once in a lifetime shows, and this year will be no different.

Please welcome former SLAYER drummer DAVE LOMBARDO who will be bringing his brand new band DEAD CROSS onbroad The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise! Having only played a couple of warm up shows in California, this will be the newly formed band's first show in front of a Global audience!

How awesome will it be to witness the Heavy Metal Maestro participate in JAMMING WITH WATERS IN INTERNATIONAL WATERS, The Official 70000TONS OF METAL All Star Jam?

Next up... how about some more Death and Thrash from the Americas?

• Jotunheimr
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: A DEAD CROSS To Start The Final Round Of Our Game

by Jotunheimr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Dave who?
    Last edited by Jotunheimr on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2020 Wishlist: Borknagar-/-Finntroll-/-Haggard-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Moonsorrow-/-Savatage-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Turisas
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Must admit, that's a pretty spectacular 44 minutes of metal right there. Dynamic indeed :deathhorns:

Madkill
    Petty Officer

by Madkill » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Gruesome, Exodus, & Overkill ???
    "All in the same boat
    Rockin' on the same route,
    We gotta get together, join each other"
    - Bob Marley
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Fallujah has to be one of them, their bass player already spoiled the news last night.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    mikijonas
    Crewman

by mikijonas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Havoc for the thrash clue and Fallujah for the death clue.
    Make love, not war... and while you are at it, listen to metal!

2012 - Survivor (Don´t remember)
    2015 - 9561
    2016 - 6500
    2017 - 9561
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:20 pm

"How awesome will it be to witness the Heavy Metal Maestro participate in JAMMING WITH WATERS IN INTERNATIONAL WATERS, The Official 70000TONS OF METAL All Star Jam?"

If he participates in the jam would be killer to see him behind drums, with Tom Angelripper on vocals, and anyone else to do a Motorhead cover, that would be awesome! :beerbang:
    Last edited by Jimbo2392 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Hahaha, I can't help but always hear Lombardo's name in that goofy falsetto that they did on some AxCx song. Daaaaave Lombardo! #$%#$%#$$#guuuuurrrhhhh@#%@#%@uuggghghhhh!!! That's literally how I first heard his name.

I suppose it will be Fallujah, but... Havok doesn't fall before Hammerfall, so it doesn't quite fit the clue. Overkill fits nicely in the last one, though.

Also...

"Next up… how about some more Death and Thrash from the Americas?"

I think someone's been listening.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    mikijonas
    Crewman

by mikijonas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Yup, you are right about Havoc. My bad! :viking:
    Make love, not war... and while you are at it, listen to metal!

2012 - Survivor (Don´t remember)
    2015 - 9561
    2016 - 6500
    2017 - 9561
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Obituary please
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 pm

70k followed Dave on Twitter right away and kept Dying Fetus up and
    DO NOT QUOTE ANDY IN YOUR POST!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Deadcross, ill check that out.

Having had a chance to listen I'm sold on DDLM
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Between Epica and Firewind can be EXCITER! :shred:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
  • Godflesh
    Midshipman

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:22 pm

3 question marks, one between Gamma Ray and Hammerfall.
    I'd say Fallujah, Obituary, and... GWAR? Or Ghoul?
    Last edited by Godflesh on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Galakticon.-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:23 pm

Not with this group but for the newbies #whynotdyingfetus campaign was the maybe the largest push for a band ever.So maybe the last announced band or the biggest troll follow ever.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
Post Reply 2911 posts