Post Reply 276 posts
Cripper Award Official Thread
  • Which band should win the 2016 CRIPPER AWARD?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Abinchova
    10%
    Dead Cross
    1%
    Dia De Los Muertos
    0%
    Distillator
    4%
    Koyi K Utho
    11%
    Nervosa
    27%
    No Raza
    8%
    Painful
    3%
    Squealer
    1%
    Starkill
    7%
    Twilight Force
    29%

Total votes: 219
    Britta
    Oiler

Cripper Award Official Thread

by Britta » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:25 am

Hey folks!

I am honored and happy to be asked to start taking the Cripper Award to the next level! Since you, the fans and forum members, came up with the award after the very first cruise, we have already heaved it from an ideologic idea to a real physical thing, our awesome trophy vest:

Currently Izegrim are the proud holders of the vest before it will be handed over to this year's winning band.

Andy and his team ask us now to form a small official award committee. To keep the award in the hand of the fans and also to keep it fair at the same time, I am looking for 2-3 people who'd like to establish some simple but set rules such as:

- Which bands qualify for the Cripper Award?
    - How is the voting done?
    - When does the voting start and when does it end?

The committee will also take over organization. Let's see where we can take this! Who would like to participate?

Cheers, Britta aka. Elchkuh

abodrocc
    Petty Officer

Re: Cripper Award Official Thread

by abodrocc » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:30 am

I will like to help this topic
    Also think that the membets should have to be veterans with 4+ 70k cruises done
    2011 Survived cabin 2543
    2012 cabin 2585
    2013 cabin 2035
    2014 cabin 2589
    2015 cabin 2264
    2016 cabin 8607
    2017 cabin 9611
    2018 cabin 8457
    2019 cabin 8673
    2020 cabin 6659

DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 am

we have already voted for 2015's winner and it is Masacre who won. It was a close vote with Claim the Throne coming in second. look in the other thread http://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3100&hilit=cripper+award&start=160 this is how we decided on contestants for the award. polls were conducted on Facebook and on the forums ( this could be improved if everyone was sent an e-mail listing the bands - so everyone gets a vote - UMC would have to use there registry to do this) bands and fans should be able to vote.
    Stained Class wrote:Ok I guess I'll figure this shit out now. From what I was lookin at a year ago the best indicator is listens on last.fm. So out of the "smallerish bands" we had:

Abandon Hope 6408
    Adaliah 123721
    Claim The Throne 65132
    Dark Sermon 29593
    Divided Multitude 24334
    Gama Bomb 1646127
    Gurd 43749
    The Hate Colony 6330
    Jungle Rot 782371
    Masacre 57000
    Suborned 758
    Thy Antichrist 22728
    Triosphere 165399
    Trollfest 1618570

So I think it's fair to cut it off at 150000, that seems to be the dividing line between bands people had heard of and those people haven't, and there's a pretty big gap between Adaliah and Trollfest. The number changes every year since last.fm itself grows so it's hard to compare to previous years. I seem to remember Cripper had about 1500 and Nightmare wasn't even on there. So if that sounds fair to everyone the nominees this year are:

Abandon Hope, Adaliah, Claim The Throne, Dark Sermon, Divided Multitude, Gurd, The Hate Colony, Masacre, Suborned, Thy Antichrist.

If anyone doesn't agree with this speak up, this is just the best idea I could come up with. I'll go make a post on the facebook group to direct traffic to this thread. Hey UMC, if this sounds good with you guys maybe make a post on your facebook page and stuff :mrgreen:

Edit: For the record my vote goes to Divided Multitude ;)

How it proceeds from here on is up to the fans ....... just my 2 cents :cheers: :beerhorns:
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:58 am

Hi Britta,

As for 2015's edition, I agree that the voting has already been done and Masacre are the winners (definitely not my cup of tea but hey, they won the votings).

Besides that, I'd be very happy to help organize the thing so if you need some hands and some people to help make decisions, you can count on me :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Very cool! If it's alright I think at least DLJ and I should be on this committee since that's just kinda how it went down the last couple years and we've both been on every umc cruise I believe :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 pm

like I stated the only thing from past years I'd like to change is the vote, and the only way to do it proper is have UMC send everyone on the ships registry (fans and bands) a list of the contestants and go through each e-mail for their vote. How they transfer the info to the fan community/council ????

Those that don't respond by a certain date, don't count. But at least everyone is aware and gets a chance to vote. Many people don't even see the bands that qualify so they don't respond.

As to pick the bands I like the last fm. formula we used .... does it hurt some bands yes, but there has to be a cut off. I have been on all UMC cruises so far and plan to be on the next, so I would help next year if need be. :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer: :viking:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:I have been on all UMC cruises so far and plan to be on the next, so I would help next year if need be. :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer: :viking:

This. Just let us know if you need help with anything :bangers:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 am

Stained Class wrote:If it's alright I think at least DLJ and I should be on this committee since that's just kinda how it went down the last couple years

Sounds great and perfectly logic :)
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

Britta
    Oiler

by Britta » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 am

Ok that all sounds logic and great to me.

Sooo... to proceed here we need to
    1. establish one single and official voting possibility - for example on Facebook, the forum... I would leave this up to UMC
    2. come up with a start and end of the voting period.
    3. ask UMC if it's possible to inform everyone via e-mail which bands are listed regarding their last.fm listens
    4. decide when and how a winner will get the trophy vest and for how long.

Since Masacre are the winners 2015 (do they already know?!), I think they should get the trophy vest, right? And from 2016 on we can start make use of the new voting system.

I think 4 is a perfect committee - DragonLordJones, Stained Class, abodrocc, bodomdragon, you think you can work this out together?

Ok, I will get in touch with UMC again today and let em know we are ready to proceed.

... Depending on how "big" this thing will become, there are two things that keep popping up in my mind. One is that we might have to handle some people who won't be happy with how we pick the bands or who is the winner blah blah... If the Cripper Award is promoted officially through 70k, this means more attention for the winning band and that might lead to envy and unhappy people expressing their unhappiness. Just saying that we might have to handle that in a way.

The other thing is... shouldn't the winning band be given the chance to promote themselves even more? I am thinking about introducing their scene at home, maybe their favorite metal place in their hometown, show us their rehearsal room etc. Like a little home story or a-day-in-the-live-of. Maybe they even wanna use the chance to introduce some local bands to a broader audience. Masacre for example is a band from Colombia. I'd love to see how they live, practice and party there.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 am

Britta wrote:The other thing is... shouldn't the winning band be given the chance to promote themselves even more? I am thinking about introducing their scene at home, maybe their favorite metal place in their hometown, show us their rehearsal room etc. Like a little home story or a-day-in-the-live-of. Maybe they even wanna use the chance to introduce some local bands to a broader audience. Masacre for example is a band from Colombia. I'd love to see how they live, practice and party there.

re: this.

Have them do a segment or two on 70000tons.tv
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Britta
    Oiler

by Britta » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:53 am

That's a good idea!
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:34 am

klons wrote:
    Britta wrote:The other thing is... shouldn't the winning band be given the chance to promote themselves even more? I am thinking about introducing their scene at home, maybe their favorite metal place in their hometown, show us their rehearsal room etc. Like a little home story or a-day-in-the-live-of. Maybe they even wanna use the chance to introduce some local bands to a broader audience. Masacre for example is a band from Colombia. I'd love to see how they live, practice and party there.

re: this.

Have them do a segment or two on 70000tons.tv

My thoughts exactly!
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 am

Britta wrote:I think 4 is a perfect committee - DragonLordJones, Stained Class, abodrocc, bodomdragon, you think you can work this out together?

As it has been said before, DLJ and Stained Class deserve the credit for the Cripper award and therefore the right to organize this along with Britta the way they want; whatever they decide will be the right thing for sure. However, if a bigger committee is needed and they are ok with it, I'll be happy to be part of it and help. Let us know how to proceed.

Absolutely yes. This is a great chance for smaller bands to promote themselves. As klons said, a space on 70000tons.tv would be awesome. Actually, I think a video could be done before the cruise introducing every contender. The only problem I see here (not really being a problem) is that mixing the Cripper award with 70000tons.tv may not exactly reflect the "completely organized by fans" rule.
    Wishlist:

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:27 am

bodomdragon wrote:Actually, I think a video could be done before the cruise introducing every contender. The only problem I see here (not really being a problem) is that mixing the Cripper award with 70000tons.tv may not exactly reflect the "completely organized by fans" rule.

That implies we know the lineup before we set sail. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:49 am

Memnoch wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:Actually, I think a video could be done before the cruise introducing every contender. The only problem I see here (not really being a problem) is that mixing the Cripper award with 70000tons.tv may not exactly reflect the "completely organized by fans" rule.

That implies we know the lineup before we set sail. :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing...especially with Andy's penchant for booking Cripperesque bands late in the game. :evil:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 pm

There are some things UMC need to do .... fan control can only be a small part of this.

I will send Masacre a note telling them they won this years Cripper award. But UMC needs to do the same and explain to them what the award is. I would like them to actually receive the award on 2016 cruise (if possible at least a rep for them) making it an event each year similar to the belly flop event.

then have them mail it back to UMC before 2017 cruise so it may be given to the next winner. (2016 cruise)

Maybe UMC can add to their banners they display at other fest the winner to help spread their name.

We need to have maybe a newsletter from UMC explaining in full what the Cripper Award is, how it started and how it is to follow so more people (cruisers/bands) understand why and what it is we are doing ...... :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:

my note to Masacre - Dear Folks .... as a rep for the 70, 000 tons of metal Cripper Award panel ... I am here to tell you , you have won the fan appointed award as the best of award for the 2015 cruise. ( an award by the fans to one band each year on 70000 Tons of Metal) the award is for a fairly unknown up and coming band that are praised for an awesome show/showing - even bands who have been around for years, but not so well-known in other parts of the world. As part of this there is an official vest that will be past to you so you may add your band patch to and hold onto for the year. you will then return the vest back to UMC before their next cruise so it may be presented to the next years winner ....... for more info please contact UMC/Andy Pillar on further details. Again Thank You for an awesome show on the cruise (as we are still working on how this award goes from here, please be patient) but your name will go forth as one of it's winners.
    Take Care and Congratulations on your winning of this award. hope this is okay :cheers:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Sounds good man.

As mentioned the issue with giving each band a segment is that some of these bands get announced the day before the cruise. This year we didn't even decide who the nominees were until afterwards. I think maybe after the cruise we could try and have a segment done on each band before voting starts.

It would be cool to have a segment in the handout when you get on the boat explaining the award/how it started etc. Might even give people some motivation to check out the bands they aren't familiar with!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I know we set the standard to 150,000 on last fm for this year ... next year we may have to adjust to announced bands, as the number could be higher or lower based on the bands onbroad.

Andy could easily do 70k tv spots for winners of each year (once a winner is voted on) Maybe even do a cripper award winner t-shirt the following year for the winner (70k exclusive) .

just a couple thoughts :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Stained Class wrote:It would be cool to have a segment in the handout when you get on the boat explaining the award/how it started etc. Might even give people some motivation to check out the bands they aren't familiar with!

This is a great idea...and if UMC handled it right, it need not cost them anything, or very little, to implement, since they're already providing us material in print.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:There are some things UMC need to do .... fan control can only be a small part of this.

I will send Masacre a note telling them they won this years Cripper award. But UMC needs to do the same and explain to them what the award is. I would like them to actually receive the award on 2016 cruise (if possible at least a rep for them) making it an event each year similar to the belly flop event.

then have them mail it back to UMC before 2017 cruise so it may be given to the next winner. (2016 cruise)

Maybe UMC can add to their banners they display at other fest the winner to help spread their name.

We need to have maybe a newsletter from UMC explaining in full what the Cripper Award is, how it started and how it is to follow so more people (cruisers/bands) understand why and what it is we are doing ...... :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:

my note to Masacre - Dear Folks .... as a rep for the 70, 000 tons of metal Cripper Award panel ... I am here to tell you , you have won the fan appointed award as the best of award for the 2015 cruise. ( an award by the fans to one band each year on 70000 Tons of Metal) the award is for a fairly unknown up and coming band that are praised for an awesome show/showing - even bands who have been around for years, but not so well-known in other parts of the world. As part of this there is an official vest that will be past to you so you may add your band patch to and hold onto for the year. you will then return the vest back to UMC before their next cruise so it may be presented to the next years winner ....... for more info please contact UMC/Andy Pillar on further details. Again Thank You for an awesome show on the cruise (as we are still working on how this award goes from here, please be patient) but your name will go forth as one of it's winners.
    Take Care and Congratulations on your winning of this award. hope this is okay :cheers:

*PillEr :)
    Wishlist:

Britta
    Oiler

by Britta » Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

I still haven't gotten feedback from UMC regarding what we came up with etc. I just sent a reminder ;)
    Cool that Masacre got the info about being the winner! Did they reply already?

Yep, I agree to the idea of UMC sending out a newsletter or whatever to make it official and inform everyone what the CA is.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun May 03, 2015 9:32 am

Britta wrote:I still haven't gotten feedback from UMC regarding what we came up with etc. I just sent a reminder ;)

Sounds about right :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun May 03, 2015 9:59 am

Yes Masacre did reply

responce to my letter : We just can't believe ti. We Will be very proud to wear This velt. Thank You for giving us tha chance to show our Death metal work. AGAIN we just can't believe ir. My personal email is alexokendo@hotmail.com to giving us moré instructions about ti.

they are waiting to hear how this will be handled . :cheers: :givebeer:

they also shared the link to this thread (on their facebook page) that I sent them to help further explain how they were chosen and what the award is :beerhorns:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:01 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Britta wrote:I still haven't gotten feedback from UMC regarding what we came up with etc. I just sent a reminder ;)

Sounds about right :lol:

Made my day!! haha

I enjoyed Crucified Barbara the most as the "unknown to a dumbass Canadian" award...

:beerbang:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:43 am

well it looks like Masacre received the vest in the mail - was hoping for an official hand off on the ship, but at least it has been sent to the last winner - here's to 2016 :cheers: :givebeer:
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:06 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:Image

well it looks like Masacre received the vest in the mail - was hoping for an official hand off on the ship, but at least it has been sent to the last winner - here's to 2016 :cheers: :givebeer:

well, at least we know they got it
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 pm

awesome!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Using last.fm figures, bands that would qualify for the 2016 award:

Firewind - 137,000 listeners
    Fleshgod - 66,000
    Ancient Rites - 21,000
    Thyrfing - 110,000
    Carach Angren - 39,000
    Rotting Christ - 124,000
    Holy Moses - 37,000
    Tyr - 145,000

Shows that the last.fm methodology can fall down a little - I wouldn't consider Firewind, Fleshgod, Rotting Christ or Tyr to be bands I would think of Cripper-award-worthy.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:56 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Using last.fm figures, bands that would qualify for the 2016 award:

Firewind - 137,000 listeners
    Fleshgod - 66,000
    Ancient Rites - 21,000
    Thyrfing - 110,000
    Carach Angren - 39,000
    Rotting Christ - 124,000
    Holy Moses - 37,000
    Tyr - 145,000

Shows that the last.fm methodology can fall down a little - I wouldn't consider Firewind, Fleshgod, Rotting Christ or Tyr to be bands I would think of Cripper-award-worthy.

none of those bands are new unknowns
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:35 pm

we have had several cripper award winners who have been around a long time Nightmare - Izegrim ... it is about bands that are fairly unknown (especially outside their home countries too) as of now anything under 100K listeners I would count ....... even though Holy Moses has been on the boat before - they just didn't get the votes for the Cripper award that year.

Thyrfing - I haven't heard of before - the others just above that I have ......... will have to wait and see when all are announced - there were several that we could of added in 2015 like Jungle Rot can't recall but there was at least 2 others .... it's not an exact science here. :cheers: :givebeer:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:40 pm

I think 100k is a fair cut off:
    Fleshgod - 66,000
    Ancient Rites - 21,000
    Carach Angren - 39,000
    Holy Moses - 37,000
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:51 am

cowboy71 wrote:I think 100k is a fair cut off:
    Fleshgod - 66,000
    Ancient Rites - 21,000
    Carach Angren - 39,000
    Holy Moses - 37,000

Give it some time - I'm sure that after the first 30-40 announcements we'll get lots of candidates with less listens. At least Fleshgod seems far from a Cripper award candidate for me. Even Carach Angren and Holy Moses don't seem very suitable to me... but I'm sure we'll get many more bands with fewer listens.
    Wishlist:

Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:18 am

When will the smoke Clear?
    I am ready for a new Vision! :bitch: :stagger:
    maybe a vision of Death Metal :deathmetal:
    or even some Thrash :shred:
    how about a cross over.
    Bring on SADUS sorry! kinda drunk but Bring on Sadus Swallowed in Black
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:37 am

DragonLordJones wrote:Thyrfing - I haven't heard of before

Actually I had heard of them before I saw them last year at Summerbreeze, where they had an early spot at one of the main stages. I think it depends on where you're from and your favorite sub genres, but they are fairly well-known, probably more so in Europe than the US is my guess.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:18 am

I think under 100K listeners is also a fair cutoff, but should we add more criteria to be eligible?

For example:
    - No more than ___ full length albums?
    - First release after ____ year?

Or should this be a simple forum vote on who's eligible or not, based solely on "Forum Member Awareness" (Since this is our award, lol). I welcome your thoughts.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:27 pm

I think since last year's winner was a well established and generally known band that won anyway... well... forum ignorance clearly is the law of the land
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Castroh wrote:I think under 100K listeners is also a fair cutoff, but should we add more criteria to be eligible?

For example:
    - No more than ___ full length albums?
    - First release after ____ year?

Or should this be a simple forum vote on who's eligible or not, based solely on "Forum Member Awareness" (Since this is our award, lol). I welcome your thoughts.

Maybe "Cannot have been on 70K before" as a criterion for the award?
    2025 Wishlist:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 pm

I actually wasn't thinking any of the bands announced so far were "Cripper award" type bands, but yeah I guess the bands we considered in the past are around the same number of listens. Interesting.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:16 am

Stained Class wrote:I actually wasn't thinking any of the bands announced so far were "Cripper award" type bands, ....

This. The eligible Cripper award band announcements will come later.

As for all of the suggestions, didn't Britta help arrange a committee (DragonLordJones, Stained Class, abodrocc, bodomdragon ) in an earlier post in this thread? That group would make the rules, handle the voting, etc...?
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 am

Yep, we're just discussing what we're gonna do. No actual decisions need to be made until right before the cruise anyways.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
Post Reply 276 posts