Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
Newb questions from the UK!
    CarlyPie
    Wiper

Newb questions from the UK!

by CarlyPie » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 am

Hi everyone,

Me and my husband will be joining the cruise for the first time in 2016 and are massively excited!

I have read through loads of posts but have a few questions I hope someone won't mind helping with...

We haven't booked before/after hotels yet, the general plan will be to stay a couple of night before and rent a car and go elsewhere after, maybe after a day to chill out after the cruise. We will probably have at least one big suitcase with us, is there room to take this onboard with us or just for smaller handluggage?

Should we fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami, what is the difference? Any tips on where to stay based on this?

I have tried to contact Dorothy about the precruise party but not been accepted into the facebook group, any tips?

Thanks and can't wait to see you all there :cheers:
    Carly
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Newb questions from the UK!

by bodomdragon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am

I don't see any problems with taking a big suitcase. You'll be ok.

As a European, it's - generally - much easier for us to fly to Miami than to Ft. Lauderdale. From there, you can rent a car and return it in Ft. Lauderdale or find other means of transport. But of course, If you can find cheap tickets to Ft. Lauderdale, I don't see why not book them - unless you want to visit Miami.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • DEUS IREA
    Oiler

by DEUS IREA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Hi, glad to see some more UK representatives onboard this time around.
    The flight I would say fly to which ever airport is cheapest for you, try and book a hotel near to the pre party so you are looking at Lauderdale by the sea, my friends and I are staying at Galt Villas Motel and Apartments, I have just looked and they do still have some availability before the cruise, it's also very close to the main preparty (03/02/16.) If you need any help or info you can find me on facebook, my name is Russell Doe.
    70k 2015 cabin 6235 survivor
    70k 2016 cabin 6513
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Lauderdale and Miami are very close however a lot of the pre cruise festivities are taking place in Fort Lauderdale. I know there is a Beach party Feb 2 and another Feb 3. Good times and it gives a chance to meet some new people.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Yeah as a newbie I would recommend if not flying into Fort Lauderdale, at least stay there somewhere near enough to the pre-parties.

Your options for flights would probably be more extensive for Miami - do not discount the option of flying into Orlando too.

You should have no issues whatsoever with a large suitcase - there is always luggage of all shapes and sizes !

And as far as the facebook group - don't worry maybe dorothy hasn't checked for a while.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:34 am

BA and Virgin seem to have some nice prices for flights to Florida at the moment. I just booked my BA flights with a layover in London Deathrow on the way to Florida (flying to/from Miami International). Flight back is a direct Finnair flight to Helsinki, but booked through BA. Total was about 600 euros, which is quite reasonable.

As for the facebook group, if you have friends in the group, they should be able to accept your request.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:56 am

We fly to Miami because it is cheaper and stay one night at the Miami Springs Inn. The next day we travel by train to Fort Lauderdale (http://www.tri-rail.com/). We stay one night at Motel 6 Dania Beach. The next day with bus or taxi to Port Everglades. These are our plans. Hope everything works :D

Before or after the cruise you should visit Key West. It's nice there. The last time we stayed 3 nights there. Or visit Clearwater Beach, it's a little bit to drive but a really nice beach.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:27 am

From the UK the cheapest option might be to fly to New York, then connect to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Flights to NY from London are less than £300 return, connecting flights around £150 or so.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • goku
    Oiler

by goku » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:26 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:Lauderdale and Miami are very close however a lot of the pre cruise festivities are taking place in Fort Lauderdale. I know there is a Beach party Feb 2 and another Feb 3. Good times and it gives a chance to meet some new people.

Any links to the february 3rd event?Could only find second day event.I'll be staying in key west that day :roll:
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:34 pm

goku wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:Lauderdale and Miami are very close however a lot of the pre cruise festivities are taking place in Fort Lauderdale. I know there is a Beach party Feb 2 and another Feb 3. Good times and it gives a chance to meet some new people.

Any links to the february 3rd event?Could only find second day event.I'll be staying in key west that day :roll:

I think there used to be an event page for the main beach party on the 3rd, but I guess we'll just have to wait for another one. Actually, better yet, we could start our own!
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Or how about just turn up to the party. I hear it's at Ocean Manor - Bamboo Beach Tiki Bar. 3rd Feb.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Kingslayer wrote:
    goku wrote:

I think there used to be an event page for the main beach party on the 3rd, but I guess we'll just have to wait for another one. Actually, better yet, we could start our own!

Or, you know, find somebody like me willing to go find the link :P

https://www.facebook.com/events/1464582157199041/
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • germanegyptiangirl
    Oiler

by germanegyptiangirl » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey!

My boyfriend and I are going on the cruise for the first time as well! We are in Canada though, so I cannot give you any advice about flights. We did look into booking a hotel with booking.com but founds that hotels in Fort Lauderdale for that time are quite expensive! So, my boyfriend looked more into it and stumbled across airbnb.ca. It's a website where people post rooms for rent or houses or even just bed and breakfast style places. The website seems super safe and my boyfriend and I booked a room in a house owned by a couple who got 5 out of 5 stars (based on 142 reviews) on the website for 130 Canadian a night (including taxes). So, if you don't mind staying in someones house then you might want to give the website a chance. It seems to be pretty reliable.

Wishlist: Agalloch, Gloryhammer, November's Doom, Swallow the Sun, Sear Bliss, Visigoth
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:40 pm

klons wrote:Or, you know, find somebody like me willing to go find the link :P

https://www.facebook.com/events/1464582157199041/

Although, the event is set to private, so if you're not invited already, the link is no good. :beerwink:
    Someone already invited must invite new people to it. At least that's how I've understood it.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    CarlyPie
    Wiper

by CarlyPie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks so much everyone, I need to get booking!!! :D
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1