Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1
noob Qs
  • fatfeet
    Wiper

noob Qs

by fatfeet » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:31 am

hey all, can't wait for the trip, first timer and could do with some Qs answered, I've had a look around the forum but there seems to be different answers. been to plenty of festivals in europe and download 10 years on the bounce.
    hopefully you guys can help me with this
    1. bit confused about the tipping, do you give cash or is it just put on the card. can somebody explain this fully. got no problem tipping just want to make sure I do it right.
    2. what is the beer prices, some say $8 and some say you can buy 6 for $30 from the dudes walking round. again confused.
    3. do they sell cider, my wife only really drinks strongbow cider. failing that, she will have to drink red wine and coke, yes thats right!!! red wine and coke in same glass. nasty!!!
    4. oh yeh, is there a hairdryer in cabin.

thanks in advance getting really excited now,
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: noob Qs

by SaraMarie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:42 pm

fatfeet wrote:hey all, can't wait for the trip, first timer and could do with some Qs answered, I've had a look around the forum but there seems to be different answers. been to plenty of festivals in europe and download 10 years on the bounce.
    hopefully you guys can help me with this
    1. bit confused about the tipping, do you give cash or is it just put on the card. can somebody explain this fully. got no problem tipping just want to make sure I do it right.
    2. what is the beer prices, some say $8 and some say you can buy 6 for $30 from the dudes walking round. again confused.
    3. do they sell cider, my wife only really drinks strongbow cider. failing that, she will have to drink red wine and coke, yes thats right!!! red wine and coke in same glass. nasty!!!

thanks in advance getting really excited now,

Oh man, lemme see...

1. Everything on the ship is paid for with a ship card. Everything. You can add tips to the slips of paper they have you sign when you run that card. In the past I've heard generous tipping leads to harder drinks, but I don't think that worked out for people as well on the new ship.

Now as for putting money on the ship card, I think you can do it in cash somehow, but I know that when I did the check-in process, I linked my credit card to it or something. You'll get instructions when that comes up.

The morning when we debark, there's receipts left at your room. You'll see how much you're gonna be charged. Might as well just resign yourself to the notion that it's gonna be ugly, man. I went single and am a woman with a low alcohol tolerance, and my bill with a couple burgers and a t-shirt added on came to like $250.

2. If you search the forum, someone posted the beer prices. Beers weren't so bad as $8, I think a lot were just under $6. Obviously mixed drinks were up there in cost.

3. I have no idea about hard cider, but I never heard of the brand you mentioned! They might have Angry Orchard at the "real" bars rather than the beer stands, but don't quote me on that. What's much more common are the typical beers you see in the US: Bud, Heineken, Corona, Fosters.

Last year there were wine and soft drink packages, but of course no beer/liquor ones! If your wife drinks a lot of wine, you should maybe look into it if it's available again. Also, that drink sounds sooooo gross.

4. Pfft, no idea, who needs a hair dryer on a cruise? I'm sure someone more concerned about hair and makeup than myself will chime in, though. All I remember is the showers are tiny.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Gratuities (tips) are included in the $US348 additional charge for your ticket. You can tip on top of that, but not necessary.

Yeah both those are correct - around $8 a beer, but you can buy 'buckets' containing I think 6 for $30 as well.

Pretty sure that you can get cider on board - there are a vast array of bars, so I'm sure you can get it somewhere!

I'm bald so I'm not sure - but I'm fairly certain there are :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

As I don't drink beer, I have looked into whether they have cider, and yes there is an English bar on broad called the Dog and Badger that has Strongbow. That is the only question I can answer that hasn't already been answered.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:01 pm

And they add a 15% tip to all drink prices. And yes, tipping some extra on good bartenders will result in stronger drinks.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • fatfeet
    Wiper

by fatfeet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm

many thanks for the replies, its just the tipping thing, i was really bothered about \m/
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:13 pm

fatfeet wrote:many thanks for the replies, its just the tipping thing, i was really bothered about \m/

Tipping is kind of an annoying tradition, though I find at my home town bars anyway, if you tip well you don't wait five years for a drink! :shots:
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    dlakavi_gusar
    Oiler

by dlakavi_gusar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:00 am

SaraMarie wrote:The morning when we debark, there's receipts left at your room. You'll see how much you're gonna be charged. Might as well just resign yourself to the notion that it's gonna be ugly, man. I went single and am a woman with a low alcohol tolerance, and my bill with a couple burgers and a t-shirt added on came to like $250.

Isn't the food free on the ship?
    10 of these bands will get me on 2017
    -/-Adrenaline-Mob-/-Apocalyptica-/-Avantasia-/-Axel-Rudi-Pell-/-Ayreon-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Civil-War-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Device-/-Disturbed-/-Dream-Theater-/-Edguy-/-Fear-Factory-/-Helloween-/-Kamelot-/-Manowar-/-Nightwish-/-Opeth-/-Pain-of-Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Russell-Allen-&-Jorn-Lande-/-Sisters-of-Mercy-/-Sonata-Arctica-/-Symphony-X-/-Tarja-/-Therion-/-Within-Temptation-/-

2016. Survivor (2588)
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:31 am

dlakavi_gusar wrote:
    SaraMarie wrote:Isn't the food free on the ship?

For the most part, yes. But especially since this ship is active during off hours (2am for example) FAR more often then most cruises a lot of stuff will be closed. Your choices will be pizza (free) or burgers from Jonny Rockets.

Johnny Rockets has a small up charge of $5, there are 2 fancier restaurants on board that will cost you something like $25 per person. That being said, the normal main dinning hall, and the buffet are always free (except for most drinks)

I love the main dinning, but it takes at about 1-2 hours to get your full meal, that type of time away from the shows is something most cruisers don't want to do, not every night at least. Most people hit the buffet. Jonny Rockets is a good alternative and the cost is minimal.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Jephi
    Oiler

by Jephi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm

There is a hair dryer!

If I remember correctly it is not one of those attached to the wall hair dryers. They keep the hair dryer in the vanity drawers.
    2012 * BTH * 2015 * 2016 * 2017 * 2020
    Jephi
    Oiler

by Jephi » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Also - every beer I had was five dollars and change. I drank Stella, Heineken, and Corona.
    2012 * BTH * 2015 * 2016 * 2017 * 2020
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 pm

slayergeek wrote:
    dlakavi_gusar wrote:
    SaraMarie wrote:Isn't the food free on the ship?

Heh, you quoted the wrong person. For a minute I got scared that I got drunk and posted a question to something I already knew here. ;)

But Johnny's isn't open half as late as the pizza, right? God that was some awful pizza! Good thing I don't cruise for the food. At least the pizza is a good quick snack when it's 2 am and you're still running between bands.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm

SaraMarie wrote:But Johnny's isn't open half as late as the pizza, right?

Last year they stayed open until 5am, which was pretty cool since we ARE a pretty late-night crowd. I think they normally close at midnight on regular cruises.

God that was some awful pizza! Good thing I don't cruise for the food. At least the pizza is a good quick snack when it's 2 am and you're still running between bands.

And that's about the best you can say for it. It's....there. (Gotta say, Carnival's 24-hour pizza kicks the crap out of Royal's...and they also had lasagna and caesar salads available at night, too.)

Late-night room-service is also available, but there is a surcharge at night ($3 I think), and you should tip (in cash) the person who brings it.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Pellaz wrote:God that was some awful pizza! Good thing I don't cruise for the food. At least the pizza is a good quick snack when it's 2 am and you're still running between bands.

And that's about the best you can say for it. It's....there. (Gotta say, Carnival's 24-hour pizza kicks the crap out of Royal's...and they also had lasagna and caesar salads available at night, too.)

I just don't get the bad pizza, though. It's such an easy thing to get right. Guess I'm just a spoiled yank.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Pellaz wrote:Carnival's 24-hour pizza kicks the crap out of Royal's.

When I took a Carnival cruise 3 weeks before the last 70K, they had us wait in line for 15-20 minutes for each slice of pizza and it didn't taste that great. Like night and day compared to 70K, which had great tasting pizza without there ever being a long line.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 pm

fatfeet wrote:she will have to drink red wine and coke, yes thats right!!! red wine and coke in same glass. nasty!!!

...calimochos (kalimotxos) are delicious! is your wife from the basque country?
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: FUCK COVID
    2022: FUCK COVID
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 am

spooky wrote:
    fatfeet wrote:she will have to drink red wine and coke, yes thats right!!! red wine and coke in same glass. nasty!!!

As a spaniard, I gotta say this is the classical drink for teenagers to get drunk the cheap way. I haven't had one in years... but yeah, we all know what it is and it is indeed quite common :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • headlinerluxi
    Petty Officer

by headlinerluxi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 am

Jephi wrote:Also - every beer I had was five dollars and change. I drank Stella, Heineken, and Corona.

right bud , stella, corona and bud light are about 5, if remember well...
    8 bugs shall be paid for the pint of fucking ugly foster :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :whisky: :whisky: :whisky: :whisky:
    2012 survivor
    2013 survivor
    2014 survivor
    2016 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2019 !!!
    Savatage Queensryche Powerwolf Dokken Megadeth Mob Rules UDO Wasp Ripper Owens Tesla Y&T Armored Saint Testament Iced Earth Sabaton DAD Tesla Cinderella Brainstorm
  • fatfeet
    Wiper

by fatfeet » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:03 pm

spooky wrote:

hey, no she's not from basque, unless laying to me, Kim just tried it one night and it seemed ok and was told it was from Poland, but who gives a f%ck as long as it gets ye pissed. see ya \m/
  • Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1