Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1
main dining room seatings
  • T Lindaulainen
    Wiper

main dining room seatings

by T Lindaulainen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:10 pm

HAIL from San Francisco..... I've been on a few "regular" cruises and am stoked to finally be a part of this epic experience. On my past cruises, you could reserve early or late seating in the main dining room. How does that work on 70,000 Tons? Is there table assignments, or is dinner simply open seating /anytime?
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: main dining room seatings

by mbob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Dinner is open seating anytime and will have metal playing in the dining room!

T Lindaulainen wrote:HAIL from San Francisco..... I've been on a few "regular" cruises and am stoked to finally be a part of this epic experience. On my past cruises, you could reserve early or late seating in the main dining room. How does that work on 70,000 Tons? Is there table assignments, or is dinner simply open seating /anytime?
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - It has been a blast and I will miss everyone but it is a big NOPE for me!
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:16 pm

You may want to consider the very real possibility that you will never find the time to go in there for dinner. I didn't go in there last year, my band watching schedule was too tight!
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:35 pm

SaraMarie wrote:You may want to consider the very real possibility that you will never find the time to go in there for dinner. I didn't go in there last year, my band watching schedule was too tight!

I think we managed to eat in the MDR twice during the last 70K. It was decent, but it DOES take some time.

You never know who you'll be seated with, or near. Bands tend to eat in the MDR a lot and you could end up being seated with 'em. Which could be weird. Or cool. :lol:
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:51 am

SaraMarie wrote:You may want to consider the very real possibility that you will never find the time to go in there for dinner. I didn't go in there last year, my band watching schedule was too tight!

It's difficult, but you SHOULD find the time to go there. At least once, and then you decide whether it's worth or not to go again. I totally recommend it and every year I've been on the cruise I've done it twice.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that food on the Majesty was MUCH better than on the Liberty. I hope they do better this year.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:23 am

Pellaz wrote:

I think we managed to eat in the MDR twice during the last 70K. It was decent, but it DOES take some time.

You never know who you'll be seated with, or near. Bands tend to eat in the MDR a lot and you could end up being seated with 'em. Which could be weird. Or cool. :lol:

Considering how few of the bands I like have members who I can recognize by face or name, I might not even notice. :shock:

I'd like to eat in there sometime, but eating out isn't really what I'm paying for when I go on this cruise. Music is definitely my first priority.

The bands schedule doesn't come out until something like the day of the cruise, so it's hard to know if there's an open window to have a sit-down meal until then.
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Eat at MDR if you can find a decent time when no bands you want to see are playing.I sat with Herman of Dragonforce and he actually ate at a big table with nobody else from Dargonforce.So in that one seating I learned a ton of stuff about how touring and 70k works.I am not a huge Dragonforce fan nor did I ask him about guitar playing.I think he was glad that everyone at the table where just metal fans and not "omg you are the greatest ever" people.Some of the bands sit together or are kinda leery of super fans ,so the random seating actually helps.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:28 pm

bodomdragon wrote:EDIT: I'd also like to point out that food on the Majesty was MUCH better than on the Liberty. I hope they do better this year.

Yeah, I noticed that too shipwide but I did like the beef tenderloin one of the "fancy dinner" nights. The service wasn't as good either. We try to have at least one main dining hall meal a cruise but with this upcoming one's lineup it might be difficult to find the time.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:26 am

How much time do you need for the dining room?
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 am

Th
    Does the dining room only serve during the concerts or something? Or is there like concerts the whole time? I thought concerts were mainly at night, so can't i go there for lunch or something when there are no bands playing?
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am

Sidvarg wrote:Th
    Does the dining room only serve during the concerts or something? Or is there like concerts the whole time? I thought concerts were mainly at night, so can't i go there for lunch or something when there are no bands playing?

Concerts go from 10 am till about 4 am, with no breaks for lunch. :shred: :shred: :shred: :viking:
    2020 Wishlist: Boat, friends, bands, karaoke, hot, Sorrentos, Windjammer, coffee, Satan, love, alcohol.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:33 am

1st & 3rd day concerts are 5 PM straight through 5 AM, 2nd & 4th day 10 AM-5AM. Eat alot before the 1st band on day 1, since there's no time to eat for the rest of the cruise.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:05 pm

doomguy wrote:How much time do you need for the dining room?

Depends on how many courses you want to have. Between appetizer, meal and multiple desserts, it usually takes us about an hour and half but we take our time.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

I can't recall if the room is open for lunch or not but they do have breakfast and dinner hours. As others have mentioned already, there are no breaks in the music so you'll have to plan your meals around the shows you'd like to see. Can be pretty tough on some days.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:49 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    doomguy wrote:How much time do you need for the dining room?

Depends on how many courses you want to have. Between appetizer, meal and multiple desserts, it usually takes us about an hour and half but we take our time.

That sounds very reasonable.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:10 am

Same for me.
    I made a mistake to go formal on my first cruise and lost 1.5 hour :evil:
    Never did it again and will not do it.
    Buffet is best for me. On Barge I even had my food in tranches. Starter-show-main dish-show- desert-show :bangers:
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 am

Except when we were in Jamaica this year, where I went to eat with my cabin mate, I never really found the time to go to the restaurant. I stopped several times to the cafe or the pizzeria :D

As I am hoping to get out of the ship this time, not sure yet how I will manage. The best thing is to not plan anything, just enjoy and when you are hungry, go to eat something where you can find food :headbanger:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:23 pm

I only made it the formal dining one time last year. It wasn't my priority either but had a fun time being seated randomly with other metal heads. It took about an hour I remember. Got some good conversation and a good meal. You never know who you'll be seated with or near. Just don't be a douche and get too excited if you see your favorite band members. Don't run up to their table and ask to take a selfie with them. Respect their privacy and down time. There will be plenty of other opportunities to meet and greet with them.
    Wishlist 2020: Ranked in order of:
    1. Sheetz-my-panties and line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Rotting_Christ-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-Heilung-/-Suicidal_Tendencies
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Cattle_Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Russkaja-/-Saturnus-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-Tengger_Cavalry-/-The_Heard-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Vermilia-/-Visigoth-/-VUUR
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Amorphis-/-Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Beasto_Blanco-/-Behemoth-/-Insomnium-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metalachi-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Oceans_of_Slumber-/-Orphaned_Land-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 am

Bob wrote:I only made it the formal dining one time last year. It wasn't my priority either but had a fun time being seated randomly with other metal heads. It took about an hour I remember. Got some good conversation and a good meal. You never know who you'll be seated with or near. Just don't be a douche and get too excited if you see your favorite band members. Don't run up to their table and ask to take a selfie with them. Respect their privacy and down time. There will be plenty of other opportunities to meet and greet with them.

I have met Jarkko and Cane of Korpiklaani every days at the cafe this year, but never had the desire to be intrusive and go to talk with them, I just said hi to them and go to seat to another table. To be honest, I never saw someone else with them, so, I think that everybody looked to be respectful :D

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1