Locked 19 posts Page 1 of 1
A quick metal band experiment
  • Bassman2112
    Wiper

A quick metal band experiment

by Bassman2112 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 am

Hey guys,
    I've been watching the forums since ~a month after they went up; but never registered. I never really had anything great to say, nor did I feel compelled to throw in my opinions as they had mostly already been voiced.

But I hadn't seen anything like this idea yet, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get some musicians together on the first day on the boat and make a band? That group could learn some covers or write some originals over the course of the next few days and, on the last day, entertain one of the bars when there's nothing else going on (if that ever happens).

It's just a quick little idea I had, sorry if it blows
    Cabin #5521
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: A quick metal band experiment

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Well, technically, I think it could have gone in THIS THREAD but it IS a bit of a different twist on things and I think we've got more along the lines of the making of about 10 bands or more lol. It'd be cool to gather some of the more adept/inspired/productive writers to compile the experiences of the first 3 days and actually compose something decent by the final night :headbanger:

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Yeah Bassman....thanks for coming out of "lurking".....I was beginning to feel a little violated...lol......are you booked on the cruise?....and will you be participating in said ritual???....just curious....if so ...I think you should start it up for all :cheers: :beerwink:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 pm

EGADS!.....iM AN ENSIGN WITH ROB......WUTEVER THE FK THAT IS.....(ROB (AKA) METAL PENGUIN.....(AKA) BUCKET -O- INFO... :D :D help
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:48 pm

debborah1 wrote:...iM AN ENSIGN......WUTEVER THE FK THAT IS

I've no idea but imagine wiki might. You should get an extra star over the i in Ensign cuz ya did it in record time... You ARE the face of the 70K forums!! :headbanger:

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:01 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    debborah1 wrote:...iM AN ENSIGN......WUTEVER THE FK THAT IS

I've no idea but imagine wiki might. You should get an extra star over the i in Ensign cuz ya did it in record time... You ARE the face of the 70K forums!! :headbanger:

Whew.....Im glad Im the face and not some of those others parts...hey....Im only a month behind you .....eh :D
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 pm

OKay.....so this means ...Im the FLAG LADY....

An ensign is a distinguishing flag of a ship or a military unit; or a distinguishing token, emblem, or badge, such as a symbol of office. The word has also given rise to the military rank of "ensign", a rank of junior officer once responsible for bearing the ensign of his unit.

The word is derived from the French enseigne from the Latin plural insignia and is more particularly used for a military or naval standard or banner. An armorial ensign applies specifically to heraldic symbols of an army.

SO HERE'S MINE......

Kiss my FLAG Bitchezz...
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Former Navy, so I can answer this one. An Ensign is the lowest commissioned officer rank. There are commissioned and non-comm officers and the lowest ranking commisioned officer outranks all enlisted (non-com) ranks. i.e. and O-1 outranks even an E-9. It is not typically possible for a non-commissioned (petty) officer to advance to commissioned status unless he/she goes to officer candidate school or receives a field commission, which happened a bit in WWI and WWII but is highly unlikely in modern times. In any case ranking is E-1 through E-9 for enlisted men and O-1 through O-9 for commissioned officers.

who needs wiki
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Disaster Area wrote:Former Navy, so I can answer this one. An Ensign is the lowest commissioned officer rank. There are commissioned and non-comm officers and the lowest ranking commisioned officer outranks all enlisted (non-com) ranks. i.e. and O-1 outranks even an E-9. It is not typically possible for a non-commissioned (petty) officer to advance to commissioned status unless he/she goes to officer candidate school or receives a field commission, which happened a bit in WWI and WWII but is highly unlikely in modern times. In any case ranking is E-1 through E-9 for enlisted men and O-1 through O-9 for commissioned officers.

who needs wiki

Very informative sir! TY... but ya really need to take a page from Debb's book and add a picture of a half naked babe just for punctuation :D

debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:20 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:Former Navy, so I can answer this one. An Ensign is the lowest commissioned officer rank. There are commissioned and non-comm officers and the lowest ranking commisioned officer outranks all enlisted (non-com) ranks. i.e. and O-1 outranks even an E-9. It is not typically possible for a non-commissioned (petty) officer to advance to commissioned status unless he/she goes to officer candidate school or receives a field commission, which happened a bit in WWI and WWII but is highly unlikely in modern times. In any case ranking is E-1 through E-9 for enlisted men and O-1 through O-9 for commissioned officers.

who needs wiki

Very informative sir! TY... but ya really need to take a page from Debb's book and add a picture of a half naked babe just for punctuation :D

LOL....Thats what IM sayin!!! :cheers: .....although I have NO idea what Im talkin bout......pictures always make up for it lol
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:56 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Very informative sir! TY... but ya really need to take a page from Debb's book and add a picture of a half naked babe just for punctuation :D

You asked for it...

Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

• Bassman2112
    Wiper

by Bassman2112 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Man, that got way off topic really, really fast haha.

Indeed I am on the cruise =) Travelling from Canada with a trio of other Canadians. I'm a bassist, one's a pianist/guitarist, one's a drummer and the other guy.. I have no idea - so we could easily have a band right there, even haha. Perhaps just one band would be a little underwhelming with all the musicians coming on board, I guess it'd also depend on what equipment we could use (instruments, I shant be bringing my bass as I don't trust the humidity with it) and whereabouts practicing could happen haha.

Also, my bad for not posting it in the Open Mic thread, I didn't even think of it as an Open Mic kind of thing at first haha - sorry.
    Cabin #5521
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Disaster Area wrote:You asked for it...

Your status as being comprised of PURE EVIL is now summarily confirmed!!
    Bassman2112 wrote:Man, that got way off topic really, really fast haha....Also, my bad for not posting it in the Open Mic thread, I didn't even think of it as an Open Mic kind of thing at first haha - sorry.

No worries about the 'which thread' thing... much like going off topic real fast, we're not too attached to rules around here. What part of Canada are you from? There's a pretty big contingent of Canadians coming along from all across the country :headbanger: :heavydrink:

• Bassman2112
    Wiper

by Bassman2112 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Glad to hear! 2 of us are originally from Alberta, the other 2 are originally from Saskatchewan; but we're all living in Alberta now haha
    Cabin #5521
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 am

debborah1 wrote:EGADS!.....iM AN ENSIGN WITH ROB......WUTEVER THE FK THAT IS.....(ROB (AKA) METAL PENGUIN.....(AKA) BUCKET -O- INFO... :D :D help

Haha, you might want to quickly get to 2k posts and leave ensign rank behind. In Star Trek, ensigns are no names that go on missions with stars of the show just so they get killed instead of the "big names" :lol:
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:38 am

You're right.
    Your idea does blow :P
    I fail to see any point in something like this.
    Metalwrath has nothing further to add
  • Bassman2112
    Wiper

by Bassman2112 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:45 am

Metalwrath wrote:I fail to see any point in something like this.

As a musician, I think the point is pretty evident. There shall literally be people from all over the world, why wouldn't you want to take the opportunity to perform or at least play with some potentially amazing musicians that you've never met before? Musical chemistry is unique and being able to try it with someone from halfway across the world with all the same tastes as you and within the same skill-set would be an awesome experience.
    Cabin #5521
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Bassman2112 wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:I fail to see any point in something like this.

As a musician, I think the point is pretty evident. There shall literally be people from all over the world, why wouldn't you want to take the opportunity to perform or at least play with some potentially amazing musicians that you've never met before? Musical chemistry is unique and being able to try it with someone from halfway across the world with all the same tastes as you and within the same skill-set would be an awesome experience.

I don't see how there would possibly be any time to pull something like this together. Do the math, 40 bands, 2 shows each and only Fri Night, Sat and Sun to fit em all in, it will be wall to wall shows. :headbanger:

Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

I'll be sharing a cabin with Bassman2112 in this voyage. As far as this idea goes, it may be easier to just write and learn some tunes before the cruise, maybe hook up with a few other players that we meet and then take it to an open mic jam session as opposed to trying to organize a proper set in just a few short days. Especially when you consider that most of people's time is going to be spent partying and watching other bands. I'd love to play though. Hopefully there'll be a piano lying around or a house keyboard for me to shred on.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
Locked 19 posts Page 1 of 1