Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
Do i need any vaccine?
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

Do i need any vaccine?

by Sidvarg » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Hello, i woke up today with a doubt... Being Jamaica a tropical island do i need any vaccine against tropical diseases to enter like yellow fever or something? :shock:
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Do i need any vaccine?

by mbob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Sidvarg wrote:Hello, i woke up today with a doubt... Being Jamaica a tropical island do i need any vaccine against tropical diseases to enter like yellow fever or something? :shock:

No worries. You are good to go. No need to get a vaccine.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Late booking and terrible dates kept me away.
    2021- What might the future hold?
    biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destination ... ne/jamaica

"Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot."
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    MissTool
    Oiler

by MissTool » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:20 pm

The only vaccin I took recently was against yellow fever. I am taking my certificate but I don´t think is necessary.
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:29 pm

There are no vaccines you absolutely need to get into the country, but it's recommended you get the shots for stuff like Hep A and Hep B if you haven't already

MissTool wrote:The only vaccin I took recently was against yellow fever. I am taking my certificate but I don´t think is necessary.

Yellow Fever isn't currently a concern in Jamaica, and you'll only need the certificate if you're coming from a country where it is
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
    MissTool
    Oiler

by MissTool » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:37 pm

I am pretty sure Brazil is consider a yellow fever zone granted I live thousands of km away from Amazon. The concern around here these day is zika virus, dengue and other related diseases, which are spread by the same mosquito. Luckily I live somewhere somewhat safe.

I checked and Jamaica does require vaccination from people coming from countries where there is risk of yellow fever transmission. So yeah, is good that I a taking my certificate. I took the vaccin because I was going to the Bahamas. I ended up not leaving the ship and I heard people were not asked for certificates. Anyway, is better to be safe than sore.
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Well i live in Colombia which i guess is a very similar case to Brazil, i am an Emergency Physician and i have Dengue and Chikungunya virus on a daily basis, but i have never had a case of Yellow Fever... So i don't know wether my country is or isn't considered an endemic area
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    MissTool
    Oiler

by MissTool » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:40 pm

Sidvarg wrote:Well i live in Colombia which i guess is a very similar case to Brazil, i am an Emergency Physician and i have Dengue and Chikungunya virus on a daily basis, but i have never had a case of Yellow Fever... So i don't know wether my country is or isn't considered an endemic area

Yeah, in Colombia is endemic like in Brazil and requirements are the same. Here is a list of countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and countries requiring yellow fever vaccination: http://www.who.int/ith/ITH_Annex_I.pdf
    Cases of Dengue, Chikungunya and Zica are sky high in Brazil. Some people I know got Zica. I have been avoiding areas where I can be bitten.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:22 am

If there were any mandatory vaccines for going to Jamaica, I'm quite sure they would have let us know.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • J.m.Andersson
    Oiler

by J.m.Andersson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:31 am

sometimes im happy i live in a Cold ass country like sweden
    MikeB
    Petty Officer

by MikeB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 am

bodomdragon wrote:If there were any mandatory vaccines for going to Jamaica, I'm quite sure they would have let us know.

Or they would wait the day before we set sail to announce that
    2015: Cabin 9527
    2016: Cabin 9219
    2017: Cabin 9675
    2018: Cabin 8215
    2019: Cabin 7449
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 am

MikeB wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:If there were any mandatory vaccines for going to Jamaica, I'm quite sure they would have let us know.

Or they would wait the day before we set sail to announce that

I would love to see that... but also with clues or subliminal messages, like the bands:

Andy wrote:What is that Yellow fever bird that's been following us? Or is it a Chicken pox? Will it have any in-Flu-ence on our route?
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    SaraMarie
    Chief Petty Officer

by SaraMarie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:27 am

There were no requirements last year, and our port was only an hour away from this one. I think that mosquito-born Dengue is the big thing in the Caribbean, or at least it was in Dominican Republic when I went last summer. That said, there weren't really mosquitoes in Ocho Rios that I remember, and believe me, if they were there, I would have lots and lots of bites! So it's fine. :D
    Top Picks: Allegaeon, Angelus Apatrida, Arkona, At the Gates, Chthonic, Devin Townsend, Down, Eluveitie, Enabler, Ex Mortus, Exodus, Eyehategod, Finntroll, Havok, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Ihsahn, Kreator, Nervosa, Nylithia, Rotting Christ, Sabaton, Sodom
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Sidvarg wrote:Well i live in Colombia which i guess is a very similar case to Brazil, i am an Emergency Physician and i have Dengue and Chikungunya virus on a daily basis, but i have never had a case of Yellow Fever... So i don't know wether my country is or isn't considered an endemic area

Hey! I'm an ER Physician Assistant! :beerbang: We should get paid to "work" on the cruise one year, one of my docs just worked on Holy Ship and said he didn't have to do a damned thing the whole time :) Anyway, as Sara said I've never seen them ask for any proof of vaccination. I know Jamaica has issued a Zika warning but only because they have cases in Haiti and they figure it's just a matter of time until they get it there too.
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 pm

I once was the doctor at an Epica concert.... And was my best concert so far, got paid for a meet and greet, and didn't work at all... I wish i could work in that field more often haha
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1