Post Reply 11 posts Page 1 of 1
About onbroad currency conversion
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

About onbroad currency conversion

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 am

I was about to print my setsail pass, when I noticed I have to pick one of these options regarding the currency conversion of the onboard expenses:

A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion program. This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg, plus a 3% international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card.

B - I choose to allow my credit card issuer to convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion program.

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD), and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Any rough ideas on what *should* be more convenient for me as a Euro user?
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • J.m.Andersson
    Oiler

Re: About onbroad currency conversion

by J.m.Andersson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 am

last year i Went with the onboard spending account, worst idea ive ever had. each time you spent more than 100$ you had to go the the information desk and pay it off.
    Dont know about you but 100$ is just about a normal night at the bar.
  • J.m.Andersson
    Oiler

by J.m.Andersson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 am

And remember that each withdrawal as a european has a withdrawal fee, soo cheaper and easier to bind you cc to the spending account.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:38 am

Haven't checked this year, but at least for me the cheaper option has in the past been to let my bank do the conversion. So B it is.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:39 am

Hi, thanks for your reply but I think you misunderstood the topic.

My credit card is already linked to my room card. What they're asking me here is which way I prefer to be charged regarding the Euro/Dollar change. Or at least that's what I understood.
    Last edited by bodomdragon on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Wishlist:
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

• bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 am

Memnoch wrote:Haven't checked this year, but at least for me the cheaper option has in the past been to let my bank do the conversion. So B it is.

Good to know. Thanks! Let's see if someone else can share any experiences regarding this. Otherwise I guess I'll go for B.
    Wishlist:

Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 am

bodomdragon wrote:I was about to print my setsail pass, when I noticed I have to pick one of these options regarding the currency conversion of the onboard expenses:

A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion program. This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg, plus a 3% international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card.

B - I choose to allow my credit card issuer to convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion program.

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD), and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

Any rough ideas on what *should* be more convenient for me as a Euro user?

B is ALWAYS the cheaper option. If a terminal in a shop gives you the option of your currency or the local currency, always choose local.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 am

It depends ultimately on your bank, some banks and credit card franchises wont let youbuy in a currency different to yours and you would need the option A in order for it to work, my bank for instance let me do transactions only in Colombian Pesos or USD so option B works better since i don't pay that 3% extra RC charges for conversion
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:54 pm

...what about american cruisers? this is a bit confusing for me...sounds like B is also the best option? gah! :shock:
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: SHOW US THE DATES!
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:34 pm

This decision comes down to the rules on your credit card.Some credit cards charge no conversion fee and most of them use the Bloomberg index.So if your conversion fee is less than 3% go with your card if it is more than 3% go with the Royal Caribbean conversion program.There is no correct answer for everyone.The one question ,that I do not know ,is when the conversion is done.For example if you buy a shirt on the first day of the cruise does the conversion settle that day or the day you settle your entire bill (sometime during the last night of cruise).A really big currency move most likely doesn't happen but if you bought something expensive on the first day and your currency drops badly while you are at sea ,it gets even more expensive .
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 am

Thank you guys! Looks like I'll go for B.
    Wishlist:

Post Reply 11 posts Page 1 of 1