Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
How are you coping?
    Shelton
    Crewman

How are you coping?

by Shelton » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:54 pm

How is anyone who is not going this year coping with their feelings?

I'm feeling more upset missing out than I thought I would be. Might need to drown my emotions.
    Wishlist - Sabaton, Turisas, Tyr, Within Temptation
    2015 - Cabin #7234
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

Re: How are you coping?

by deathmetalpat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 am

So-so ,this is the best line up of all the cruises ,if I had to pick one to go to it would be this year.Having been on 2012-14 I can say first timers will have a great time and looking at the running order ,there would be only a few hours when would be without something to see.On the other hand not enough Black Metal ,which is what I listening do the most at this time and the fact the Winter has been really mild except for one big storm.The wild card is the culture of the cruise ,it declined every year and in 2014 I was done for a while with the whole thing,too many idiots and strangely people on the ship who didn't even like these types of Metal.No one dragged them on the ship ,it had become just like any festival so unless that improves it would take in incredible line up with many bucket list bands .
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:47 pm

this lineup is really weak for me, so I'm fine... plus I get to see 3 Ne Obliviscaris headline gigs this week (thanks Andy!!!) so I'm golden
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm in similar boat ( ;) ) to Bill.

This is the worst lineup ever for someone with my particular metal tastes so I feel quite blessed in that regard and am only missing out on a handful of bands that I would bother to see if they were playing down the street.

So, yeah, I've been fortunate enough to go on the cruise every year when it has had a great lineup for me. That said, last year was an amazing lineup for me but health issues kinda fucked things up for me a bit and, as deathmetalpat pointed out above, the culture has declined significantly from the first 2 years which were nothing short of magical and unique for me and likely impossible to duplicate (There's an old saying somewhere about finding God and then looking for it again in the same place only to find it's never where ya left it... I think the same is true for many top tier life experiences).

So while I AM looking forward to going again someday and trying to recapture some of what I miss from the first 2 years, I'm also all too aware that it's not all lineup dependent but more about the people and where my own head and body are during the trip. It's entirely possible that this year could've been the best time ever for me despite the weak lineup but I'll never know.

So (again), in conclusion, I'm really just left feeling like I'm missing out on the social part of it all and seeing so many great friends from years past. As pictures and posts from Florida start popping up on fackbook, it's hard not to feel envious while also excited for all who are going and then just looking forward to all the pics, vids and stories that will accompany everyone home next week. Always fun checking out all there is to hear from everyone about how the cruise went and what crazy shit happened etc.

Fun, safe and heavy happy travels everyone!! :beerbang:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 am

Not coping well. Best lineup ever in my opinion. Work is a nightmare today. I'll be listening to Carach Angren, Belphegor, Iced Earth, Katatonia, and Insomnium today in an effort to live vicariously through all of you.
    Have a great trip everyone! The bitch is in the water and I wish I was there. :cry:

:shred: :viking: :metalguy: :smash: :beerhorns: :bmhorns: :deathhorns: :boobs: :heavydrink: :stagger: :smoking: :beerbang: :headbanger: :givebeer:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    RectalCollapse
    Oiler

by RectalCollapse » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 am

Damn. I definitely feel like I could of used the time away from work to at least catch some of the bands on this lineup, drink and hang out with everyone. I live down in Miami and didn't get to make any of the pre-cruise stuff. Work has been pretty hectic, and I never get to hang out with any metalheads down here, so im pretty bummed about it. Im pretty stoked to at least catch At The Gates on Tuesday, but I know its not the same.
    Im happy for everyone that made it on broad, and hope to catch all you guys soon.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 pm

I have purposely sat out 70K since 2012 to take other trips & experience new adventures including three other music cruises - Progressive Nation at Sea, Rock Legends III & Cruise to the Edge III. I love so many different kinds of music and the line-ups on those three in particular (huge classic rock and prog fan here) were a not miss. I figured 70K is gonna be around a long while, so I can always go another year. I don't regret that decision in the slightest - so not feeling sad about not going again this year even though the line-up is fantastic imo.

Don't get me wrong - 70K is the bomb and I had an awesome time in 2011 & 2012. I met so many terrific people because of it (*waves at Erik, gnoff, Rob & Bill on this thread*) - and have kept in touch with most of them (at least via fb). In May, several 70K friends will gather in my hometown for Ragnarökkr Metal Apocalypse. Even though I'm not a huge fan of that particular genre of metal, it will be wonderful to hang out with those folks again!! :bangers:

Will I be back on 70K? Hmmm.... likely but no sooner than 2018. My only "reservation" concerns the comments I've heard and read from several people about how the boat "culture" has changed (or gone "downhill") since those first few golden years. A few have mentioned that on this thread in fact. In addition, I really love what ShoreSlayer said here....

ShoreSlayer wrote:.....the first 2 years which were nothing short of magical and unique for me and likely impossible to duplicate (There's an old saying somewhere about finding God and then looking for it again in the same place only to find it's never where ya left it... I think the same is true for many top tier life experiences).

I can totally relate. ;)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Laura wrote:My only "reservation" concerns the comments I've heard and read from several people about how the boat "culture" has changed (or gone "downhill") since those first few golden years. A few have mentioned that on this thread in fact. In addition, I really love what ShoreSlayer said here....

ShoreSlayer wrote:.....the first 2 years which were nothing short of magical and unique for me and likely impossible to duplicate (There's an old saying somewhere about finding God and then looking for it again in the same place only to find it's never where ya left it... I think the same is true for many top tier life experiences).

I can totally relate. ;)

It has changed, and sadly I think It will never go back to those golden years, starting on the fact that the +1000 people and a new bigger boat made the ship less "intimate" for everyone.

I'm guessing those who never knew the Majesty are having a blast like we did on those first years, for me it's just not the same anymore. Still fun though.
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:20 am

pablov8 wrote:
    It has changed, and sadly I think It will never go back to those golden years, starting on the fact that the +1000 people and a new bigger boat made the ship less "intimate" for everyone.

I'm guessing those who never knew the Majesty are having a blast like we did on those first years, for me it's just not the same anymore. Still fun though.

Agree totally.
    This year 70k was my last one. I had a great time again but did not like it as much as I did back on Majesty. Unless there will be another Barge to Hell - I am done with 70k.
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 am

I really don't think it's gone downhill or changed that much. But that's just me ;)

Edit: The one thing I miss about the old boat is the Boleros. Nothing will top those legendary karaoke parties until sunrise. Everything else about this year was perfect.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:25 am

Stained Class wrote:I really don't think it's gone downhill or changed that much. But that's just me ;)

Although I haven't been here since the first edition, I have been on the three boats, and I agree with you. For me, this last cruise was the best one, and the only thing I missed was the karaoke atmosphere from the Majesty.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    UltimoAviso
    Petty Officer

by UltimoAviso » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:06 pm

bodomdragon wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:I really don't think it's gone downhill or changed that much. But that's just me ;)

Although I haven't been here since the first edition, I have been on the three boats, and I agree with you. For me, this last cruise was the best one, and the only thing I missed was the karaoke atmosphere from the Majesty.

i was a the karaoke party the last night/morning and it was insane. the floor was an ice rink of beer, rubber ducks everywhere, a wet floor sign was being used as a sled. Had a blast! I think it was supposed to be in a different area but that one was closed for weather reasons. Also it was my first cruise so i have no comparison but the videos i have from karaoke are hilarious.
    http://www.helionprimemetal.com/ <-My Band

70K:
    2016-7211
    2017-9230
    2018-1690
    2019-7648
    Wacken:
    Progpower:

Wish:Skull Fist-Striker-*Grim Reaper*-Manowar-Running Wild(and i book immediately)
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 pm

It was my first cruise as well. I enjoyed every second of it (except for the human landing on my head), and will definitely go again. I hope that it doesn't lose its appeal like it has for some, because it is nothing short of amazing; all of it. :viking:
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: SHOW US THE DATES!
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:51 pm

UltimoAviso wrote:
    i was a the karaoke party the last night/morning and it was insane. the floor was an ice rink of beer, rubber ducks everywhere, a wet floor sign was being used as a sled. Had a blast! I think it was supposed to be in a different area but that one was closed for weather reasons. Also it was my first cruise so i have no comparison but the videos i have from karaoke are hilarious.

You and I were supposed to sing karaoke on the first night I think, but it never happened. :heavydrink: We've gotta do that on the next cruise!
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2021: Not this time. Have fun!

Wishlist: Arkona-/-Borknagar-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Lumsk-/-Necrophagist-/-Otyg-/-Savatage-/-Skyforger-/-Solstafir-/-Testament-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Varg
    UltimoAviso
    Petty Officer

by UltimoAviso » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 am

Jotunheimr wrote:
    UltimoAviso wrote:

You and I were supposed to sing karaoke on the first night I think, but it never happened. :heavydrink: We've gotta do that on the next cruise!

ahh yes the rum-infused rendition of green day we had planned and instead ended up following a pool girl into the empty hot tub hahaha
    http://www.helionprimemetal.com/ <-My Band

70K:
    2016-7211
    2017-9230
    2018-1690
    2019-7648
    Wacken:
    Progpower:

Wish:Skull Fist-Striker-*Grim Reaper*-Manowar-Running Wild(and i book immediately)
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1