Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1
Retrospective of bands so far
    dlakavi_gusar
    Oiler

Retrospective of bands so far

by dlakavi_gusar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:44 pm

So, I decided to cure my post-cruise depression with some data overview (I'm in IT, this relaxes me :mrgreen: ).
    I created this spreadsheet in which we can see statistical data, as well as which band played when on the cruise.

So far 231 different bands played on the cruise, playing in total 286x2 gigs.
    Out of the most popular genres were:

- Death Metal (22%)
    - Thrash Metal (16%)
    - Heavy Metal (15%)
    - Power Metal (12%)
    - Folk Metal (9%)

I guess the reason behind this is also the number of available bands in each genre, for example - there are many more Thrash bands available than Folk bands.

When it comes to main headliners (bands with the longest sets), the picture is slightly different. Most headliners were:

- Power Metal 5
    - Heavy Metal 5
    - Death Metal 4
    - All others 1 each

When we talk about bands and their return to the cruise:

- 9 times the band had returned after 2 years
    - 25 times the band had returned after 3 years
    - 9 times the band had returned after 4+ years

meaning that in 48% of the returns the band is back after 3 years.

The number of new bands on board is reducing from year to year (which is understandable), though 2016. moved up the bar again because the crew switched from 45 to 60 bands.
    Also, only 3 bands (that's 3 out of 270) were on a cruise 3 times - Ensiferum and Raven and Tyr (as noted by cowboy71).

So, what this all means? Absolutely nothing :mrgreen:

But, it can get you thinking (and god knows we have time to think until the first announcements). Statistically speaking, greatest chances for announcement will have bands from 2013. and bands which were only once on the cruise so far (of course, all of the 2016. bands are out of equation).
    So, I'm taking a wild guess here, but I'm sensing something about Symphony X or Fear Factory maybe. Amon Amarth is a good pick considering the genre and times onboard, Nightwish/Helloween would be a good pick for a headliner, Saxon too.

On every cruise one of the headliners was a newcomer "big-band" - CoF this year, Apocalyptica 2015, Symphony X 2014, In Flames 2013. So, it is probable that this tradition would be followed in the 2017. as well. Who that might be? I have no clue, could be anything from Anthrax to Rammstein.

---
    Disclaimer:
    I don't know all of these bands, I used Wikipedia, The Metal Archives and sometimes Youtube to determine genre of a band. I also tried keeping it simple and not spreading things into gazillion sub-genres. Let me know if I made any huge mistakes.
    Last edited by dlakavi_gusar on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
    10 of these bands will get me on 2017
    -/-Adrenaline-Mob-/-Apocalyptica-/-Avantasia-/-Axel-Rudi-Pell-/-Ayreon-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Civil-War-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Device-/-Disturbed-/-Dream-Theater-/-Edguy-/-Fear-Factory-/-Helloween-/-Kamelot-/-Manowar-/-Nightwish-/-Opeth-/-Pain-of-Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Russell-Allen-&-Jorn-Lande-/-Sisters-of-Mercy-/-Sonata-Arctica-/-Symphony-X-/-Tarja-/-Therion-/-Within-Temptation-/-

2016. Survivor (2588)
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Retrospective of bands so far

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Yeah genre breakdown in Heavy Metal ALWAYS causes debate.

"Band X are so NOT Death metal. They are totally melo-hardcore-pseudo-quasi-retro death metal!"

Good analysis though.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Very thorough analysis, tank you... I also find some beauty in this data (even though i am not in IT)
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Interesting to note that we've never had a thrash band headline.

Maybe given that 2016 was VERY light on for thrash, that will be remedied in 2017.

Which begs the question then:

What thrash band would be a worthy 70K 2017 headliner?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Oh and one of your findings is definitely incorrect.

The mighty TYR have also been on three times - 2011, 2013 and 2016
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm

2011 had so many great bands that they had no choice but be selective about who played headline sets. Iced Earth, Fear Factory, and Rage played 60 minute sets on the first cruise but headline sets on other cruises. There were tons of quality acts on that first cruise, and I wish I could've made it.
    2020 Wishlist: Borknagar-/-Finntroll-/-Haggard-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Moonsorrow-/-Necrophagist-/-Norther-/-Otyg-/-Savatage-/-Solstafir-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Turisas
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:57 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Oh and one of your findings is definitely incorrect.

Moonspell has also been on three times. Never forget Barge to Hell. :death:

Edit: Also add November's Doom and Sodom to the 3-timers.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    dlakavi_gusar
    Oiler

by dlakavi_gusar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:39 pm

I kept the data without BargeToHell, I'd say it was a different festival, and the rules would get messed up.

cowboy71 wrote:Oh and one of your findings is definitely incorrect.

Got it, fixed, don't know how I missed it :) thanks!

cowboy71 wrote:What thrash band would be a worthy 70K 2017 headliner?

I never knew where to draw the line to which bands are in the 70k reach and which are simply too big for it. I mean, I know they can't bring Metallica or Maiden on board, but what about smaller bands than them, like Anthrax and Slayer (which would be the natural answer to your question)? Are they too big for 70k? Or Rammstein?

I always tried to divide bands based upon the venue they played in when they visited my town. We have a small concert hall for 2k people here, and most of the 70k bands played there, and we also have a much bigger Arena where Iron Maiden payed, for example. But even that is not conclusive enough (some 70k bands played in the bigger venue), and there are a lot of bands which are questionable. For example, is Marilyn Manson too big for 70k? Nightwish and Arch Enemy are playing now in the big concert venues on their tour, are they too big now?
    -/-Adrenaline-Mob-/-Apocalyptica-/-Avantasia-/-Axel-Rudi-Pell-/-Ayreon-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Civil-War-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Device-/-Disturbed-/-Dream-Theater-/-Edguy-/-Fear-Factory-/-Helloween-/-Kamelot-/-Manowar-/-Nightwish-/-Opeth-/-Pain-of-Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Russell-Allen-&-Jorn-Lande-/-Sisters-of-Mercy-/-Sonata-Arctica-/-Symphony-X-/-Tarja-/-Therion-/-Within-Temptation-/-

2016. Survivor (2588)
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:23 pm

I think Anthrax and Slayer would both be a chance for 70k - they did Motorhead's Motorboat after all.

Manson - wouldn't say too big for 70k, but not the right fit.

Nightwish and Arch Enemy are definitely not too big for 70k. Remember it was only last year that AE were on broad, and they didn't even headline. And I don't think Nightwish are necessarily 'bigger' now than they were in 2012 when they last played 70k.

And I agree with removing Barge from this analysis as it does muddy the waters - for example At The Gates headlined Barge, but not 70K. Just gonna confuse the analysis if you include it :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I think Nightwish are bigger now than 2012 but they could still get on. Within Temptation is the one I wonder about, huge in Europe but play the same venues as Nightwish in the US. I would love to know if they have at least been reached out to and what's the hold up.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Liv-Kristine-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Asphyx-/-Wintersun-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-The-Foreshadowing-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Saturnus-/-Noumena-/-Blackthorn-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Dark-Fortress-/-Orphaned-Land-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Novembers-Doom-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 pm

But there were 60 bands in 2015 not 45, no?
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Galakticon.-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Gutalax-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Mercyful.Fate-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Godflesh wrote:But there were 60 bands in 2015 not 45, no?

Correct.

42 in 2011 and 2012
    41 in 2013 and 2014
    60 in 2015 and 2016
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 pm

:shock: we have two Statsmans *er Statsmen* now???

Awesome!

I love stats. :cheers: (not in IT, but I'm a librarian who is obsessive about "details." :beerwink: )
    Last edited by Laura on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm

So this spreadsheet is missing data for 15 bands.
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Galakticon.-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Gutalax-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Mercyful.Fate-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Godflesh wrote:So this spreadsheet is missing data for 15 bands.

I would say so - by my count there should be 234 unique bands that have made up the 286 slots for the 6 cruises.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Sidvarg
    Petty Officer

by Sidvarg » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm

This year we has 6 bands from 2012 and 2013 and 7 from 2011, we had a very even distribution of repeats... So this is accurate with the prediction of expecting bands from 2013 but also i guess opens the door to bands from 2013 and 2014 of which we only had one and even 2015 already, but also note that most bands this year were new... I am new here but I think what i am trying to say is that anything can happen as this year was actually quite even.
    Also i agree BTH shouldn't be taken into account because it had a different theme and could bias the data towards more extreme generes... We are trying to have a pure sample here
    2016 cabin 8225
    2017 cabin 7535

Wish list:
    Angra, Amaranthe, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Myrath, Tesseract, Symphony X, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Orphaned Land, Haggard, Dynazty, Haken, Devin Townsend Project
    dlakavi_gusar
    Oiler

by dlakavi_gusar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:So this spreadsheet is missing data for 15 bands.

I would say so - by my count there should be 234 unique bands that have made up the 286 slots for the 6 cruises.

I updated the stats, my mistake was believing the official 70k Wikipedia page.
    Right now I have 231 different bands and 286x2 gigs. So the gig number is fine, but somewhere we have 3 phantom bands :)
    I did not count supporting bands, like "Lingua Mortis Orchestra" for Rage 2013, could be one of the mismatching reasons?

Razor Ramon wrote:I think Nightwish are bigger now than 2012 but they could still get on. Within Temptation is the one I wonder about, huge in Europe but play the same venues as Nightwish in the US. I would love to know if they have at least been reached out to and what's the hold up.

NW with Floor is definitely a bigger band than NW with Anette, I agree, but I hope they'd still be eager to cruise.

2016. Survivor (2588)
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:32 pm

1. You broke the thrash metal/speed metal up into two categories. You might want to break up the death metal into melodic death metal & death metal. There is quite a difference between the two styles. The MDM category could have bands like Soilwork & Arch Enemy. The death metal category could have bands like Bloodbath & Immolation.

2. I could debate you on some of your genre assignments. One band I will say something about is Municipal Waste. Municipal Waste is not gothic metal. Thrash metal would be the best out of the genres you have available.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Also Twilight Force is Adventure Metal and yes that should totally be a genre for itself :mrgreen:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Mark wrote:Also Twilight Force is Adventure Metal and yes that should totally be a genre for itself :mrgreen:

"Ninja-Elf metal." :lol:
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:45 am

cowboy71 wrote:Interesting to note that we've never had a thrash band headline.

Maybe given that 2016 was VERY light on for thrash, that will be remedied in 2017.

Which begs the question then:

What thrash band would be a worthy 70K 2017 headliner?

Kreator
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    dlakavi_gusar
    Oiler

by dlakavi_gusar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:37 am

dlakavi_gusar wrote:...

On every cruise one of the headliners was a newcomer "big-band" - CoF this year, Apocalyptica 2015, Symphony X 2014, In Flames 2013. So, it is probable that this tradition would be followed in the 2017. as well. Who that might be? I have no clue, could be anything from Anthrax to Rammstein.

I clairvoyanted the Anthrax :mrgreen:

2016. Survivor (2588)
    GregoryOfTheNorth
    Crewman

by GregoryOfTheNorth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:55 am

I seem to recall Testament having headliner status in 2011, getting a 75 minute set (only 4 bands got longer than 60 minutes that year). That would be, for me, the first headliner thrash band.
    2011#4512
    2012#5535
    2013#2597
    2014#6043
    2015#2546
    2016#9597
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:02 am

Sgt. B wrote:

2. I could debate you on some of your genre assignments. One band I will say something about is Municipal Waste. Municipal Waste is not gothic metal. Thrash metal would be the best out of the genres you have available.

No Shit, Municipal Waste is by far not Gothic but more Thrash/crossover than any band since D.R.I.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 am

While the idea is very interesting, you could use some of the advice here to improve it. For instance, I can tell you for a fact that Amaranthe is certainly not Death Metal.
    Wishlist:
    Not in the mood to work on it.

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:55 am

I agree with Sgt. B - I think you need a melodeath category.

Which probably needs you'll need to pick out a couple of distinct subgenres - which of course will cause a massive debate on the forums about which ones are "distinct" enough to be considered... but death metal at least, as a big MDM fan, can range WILDLY if you don't make the MDM distinction.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Save these guys for 2021, Andy.
Post Reply 26 posts Page 1 of 1