Post Reply 3265 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

Re: The Epidemic Is Reborn On 70000TONS OF METAL

by Monmisreal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Maybe that's it since I try to go there every year.
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 am

I don't think it fits the clue, but I'd love for this next band to be Vreid.

It's time for some black metal.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 am

I too hate Van Canto with a passion.
    I hope the clue points to Black Metal, and that it's Vreid.
    I'd settle for Venom Inc, but not the same old Venom as in 2015.

Also, I want a poney in my suite, but not just any color :D
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:35 am

I'm pretty psyched about Demolition Hammer. That's gonna be one rowdy pit, for sure.

With the next band being "V" and something about darkened skies, I think Vektor could fit, their theme is very "horror sci-fi movie in space." Where's there a darker sky than in the depths of outer space, huh? Plus, they put out a new album recently.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:09 am

Wonder if we'll finally be getting back to that "A" band after the next announcement. ;) :viking:
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates-/-AUTOPSY-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Fast-/-Bölzer-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-DISMEMBER-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-DYING.FETUS-/-Dyscarnate-/-Gatecreeper-/-Finntroll-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorod-/-Grave-/-Gruesome-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hath-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kaoteon-/-Katatonia-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Magic.Circle-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Possessed-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-SATAN-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:47 am

sara wrote:With the next band being "V" and something about darkened skies, I think Vektor could fit, their theme is very "horror sci-fi movie in space." Where's there a darker sky than in the depths of outer space, huh? Plus, they put out a new album recently.

That would be a solid selection, but enough with the trash announcements. It's already over-represented in terms of its actual popularity relative to the current state of the genre.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:06 pm

General Zod wrote:
    sara wrote:With the next band being "V" and something about darkened skies, I think Vektor could fit, their theme is very "horror sci-fi movie in space." Where's there a darker sky than in the depths of outer space, huh? Plus, they put out a new album recently.

That would be a solid selection, but enough with the trash announcements. It's already over-represented in terms of its actual popularity relative to the current state of the genre.

Freudian slip? ;)

Totally agree. Especially if Testament turns out to be a "headliner" as many seem convinced of. There are a number of subgenres that are still unrepresented, most notably black, power (Kamelot barely counts), and prog (Amorphis and Stam1na notwithstanding).
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Agree about the prog and black deficit. It's the reason Venom/Vreid is most likely for this V, i think.

I wouldn't mind getting Melechesh and Scar Symmetry or Symphony X to help with those deficits, too.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:52 pm

Absolutely.

While I'm stoked that so many people are giddy about a band that hasn't released any new music in over 20 years, lets have some bands that have at least put out music this century added to the lineup.

:lol: :P :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:24 pm

macamatic wrote:
    General Zod wrote:

Freudian slip? ;)

Totally agree. Especially if Testament turns out to be a "headliner" as many seem convinced of. There are a number of subgenres that are still unrepresented, most notably black, power (Kamelot barely counts), and prog (Amorphis and Stam1na notwithstanding).

Calm down people, it's a band I'm hoping to see, not a demand that I'm making.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 pm

macamatic wrote:Freudian slip? ;)

LOL. Perhaps. That said, I'm actually fond of Anthrax, Death Angel and Testament.

sara wrote:Calm down people, it's a band I'm hoping to see, not a demand that I'm making.

Never meant to intimate you were making demands. And even if you were, it's not like any of our demands translate into announcements. I just find it strange that we have such a high percentage of thrash bands, given its relative popularity within the overall genre.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm not jumping up and down going MOAR THRASH! :bitch: by any means as its one of my least-liked (I dislike using the term HATE) genres, but you'll find that as a percentage of the overall lineup the amount of thrash this year is on par or even down compared to previous cruises.

The first cruise almost a quarter of the lineup was thrash, and usually the thrash representation is at least 1/5 of the total lineup. The 2016 lineup was a (happy!) aberration with only 6 or so thrash bands.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:38 am

I'm hoping the reason there's been so many thrash announcements is they want to shut up the thrashers, because they are whining the most. So now that they're happy, Andy can announce some actual good bands.

And we have zero death metal bands (you know, proper death metal as in old school death metal). Immolation would be great for a repeat. Cut Up (and/or Vomitory reunion), Entombed (not the L.G. one) or Insision from the Stockholm style. Grand Supreme Blood Court from the Dutch branch. Morbid Angel is long overdue.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 am

cowboy71 wrote:Absolutely.

While I'm stoked that so many people are giddy about a band that hasn't released any new music in over 20 years, lets have some bands that have at least put out music this century added to the lineup.

:lol: :P :P

Hey, we have that "A" out their yet
    Bring on :shred: ATROPHY :shred:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:27 am

Memnoch wrote:I'm hoping the reason there's been so many thrash announcements is they want to shut up the thrashers, because they are whining the most. So now that they're happy, Andy can announce some actual good bands.

And we have zero death metal bands (you know, proper death metal as in old school death metal). Immolation would be great for a repeat. Cut Up (and/or Vomitory reunion), Entombed (not the L.G. one) or Insision from the Stockholm style. Grand Supreme Blood Court from the Dutch branch. Morbid Angel is long overdue.

As if we did not already have enough sub genres, there is now proper and improper death metal? There's 4 death metal bands!
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:07 am

sara wrote:
    macamatic wrote:
    General Zod wrote:That would be a solid selection, but enough with the trash announcements. It's already over-represented in terms of its actual popularity relative to the current state of the genre.

Freudian slip? ;)

Calm down people, it's a band I'm hoping to see, not a demand that I'm making.

I'm not upset. If anything, I'm relieved that someone else seems to have noticed the high percentage of thrash bands. If you get your band, I'll be happy for you and take a nap while they're on.

I have no idea what "proper" death metal is, but the idea that Suffocation, formed one whole year after Scream Bloody Gore came out, isn't "old school" is hilarious to me.

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:36 am

If you look up the definition of "Proper Death Metal", you will find it is defined as "death metal that Memnoch likes" :roll: :P :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:40 am

Downvod wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:I'm hoping the reason there's been so many thrash announcements is they want to shut up the thrashers, because they are whining the most. So now that they're happy, Andy can announce some actual good bands.

As if we did not already have enough sub genres, there is now proper and improper death metal? There's 4 death metal bands!

Don't try to argue with him, he considers everything that's not old school death metal or female fronted bands to be bullshit :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:52 am

Saying Suffocation is old school death metal just because they're an old band is like lumping Taake and Venom in the same sub genre. Suffocation is a perfect example of brutal death metal, but their music has nothing to do with old school death metal - especially nowadays. This should be quite obvious to anyone into (extreme) metal. Same with Dying Fetus and Nile. Unleashed too, and they've always been much closer to black metal than death metal.
    And it's not like I'm asking for the whole lineup to be old school death metal. I'd be fine with a couple of solid bands, but for now we have none. Same goes for black metal.

As for there being too few power metal bands; there's already lots. Amaranthe, Kamelot, Orden Ogan, Serenity, Therion and Xandria.
    Wishlist:
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:11 pm

Ah, the beauty of discussing metal genres :mrgreen:
    Ask 10 bands what style they play and you'll get at least 11 different answers.

Amaranthe is somewhere between Melodic Death, Metalcore and Roxette
    Kamelot and Orden Ogan are indeed Power Metal
    Serenity and Xandria are Symphonic Metal
    Therion is...well...Therion

So anyway I'd say we are lacking more proper Power Metal bands than proper Death Metal bands :heavydrink:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Isn't power metal just one of the million subgenres of heavy metal? So what you're saying is we are lacking in heavy metal. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Memnoch wrote:
    As for there being too few power metal bands; there's already lots. Amaranthe, Kamelot, Orden Ogan, Serenity, Therion and Xandria.

I hope you are joking by lumping those all as "power metal" :lol: :P

Which I'm sure you are, but as others have said, it will always be the way.

Just like I'm sure the 6 bands I call "thrash" metal that are currently on the lineup, a thrash fan would beg to differ.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Mark wrote:Ah, the beauty of discussing metal genres :mrgreen:

So anyway I'd say we are lacking more proper Power Metal bands than proper Death Metal bands :heavydrink:

Indeed - as a fan of power metal I agree with your assessment. Although I would ALMOST class Grave Digger as power metal (but they are combination of gold old "heavy metal", power, speed, and maybe even a little thrash).

That would only put it at 2 "pure" power metal bands, when there were about 10 (and a couple of 'almost' power metal bands) on the 2016 lineup.

FURTHERMORE, here is a full breakdown of 2016 vs 2017 so far. Rather than just raw numbers I've listed bands against the genre count. NOT TO START A GENRE ARGUMENT, but merely so you get an idea.

6 - Thrash Metal - Anthrax, Annihilator, Death Angel, Revocation, Testament, Demolition Hammer
    4 - Death Metal - Nile, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Unleashed
    4 - Symphonic Metal - Haggard, Therion, Serenity, Xandria
    3 - Prog Metal - Amorphis, Stam1na, Gojira
    3 - Folk Metal - Cruachan, Orphaned Land, Moonsorrow
    3 - Melodeath - Kalmah, Omnium Gatherum, Arch Enemy
    2 - Power Metal - Kamelot, Orden Ogan
    1 - Pop Metal - Amaranthe
    1 - Viking - Equilibrium
    1 - Numetal - Devildriver
    1 - Rap Metal - Stuck Mojo
    1 - Medieval Metal - Saltatio Mortis
    1 - Doom Metal - Draconian
    1 - Video Game Metal - Powerglove
    1 - Heavy Metal - Gravedigger
    1 - Hard Rock - Uli Jon Roth

11 - Power - Iced Earth, Dragonforce, Firewind, Hammerfall, Phapsody of Fire, Gamma Ray, Manilla Road, Squealer, Jag Panzer, Stratovarius, Twilight Force
    10 - Death - Fleshgod Apocalypse, Bloodbath, Krisiun, Vader, Painful, Dia De Los Muertos, Ghoul, No Rasa, Fallujah, Incantation
    9 - Black - Ancient Rites, Carach Angren, Rotting Christ, Tsjuder, Cradle of Filth, Aura Noir, Belphegor, Samael, Vallenfyre,
    6 - Folk - Turisas, Tyr, Subway to Sally, Eluveitie, Abinchova, Arkona
    5 - Doom - Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Novembers Doom, Paradise Lost
    5 - Thrash - Sodom, Distillator, Nervosa, Susperia, Holy Moses
    4 - Symphonic - Delain, Lacuna Coil, Visions of Atlantis, Epica
    4 - Melodeath - Children of Bodom, At The Gates, Starkill, Insomnium
    2 - Viking - Thyrfing, Skalmold
    2 - Heavy Metal - Raven, Diamond Head
    1 - Crap Metal - Dead Cross
    1 - Industrial - Koyi K Utho

So far you could say that Thrash fans are definitely better off than this year, death metal is tracking about the same, but the fans being most short changed are most certainly black metal fans and power metal fans. But since I love symphonic metal too I'm still pretty happy :)
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Jephi
    Oiler

by Jephi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Memnoch wrote:And we have zero death metal bands (you know, proper death metal as in old school death metal).

Yes! We need old school death metal! I know it's asking for a miracle but I want a Dismember reunion on board.
    2012 * BTH * 2015 * 2016 * 2017 * 2020
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm

All in All, their is still no Black Metal this year!!! :bitch:
    I only need one good one for this cruise to be complete
    Marduk made my 2011 for me
    Emperor are doing special shows next year :dreams:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Jephi wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:And we have zero death metal bands (you know, proper death metal as in old school death metal).

Yes! We need old school death metal! I know it's asking for a miracle but I want a Dismember reunion on board.

so much this!!!! :shred: I fucking love Dismember
    Jephi
    Oiler

by Jephi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:22 pm

Also, I'm hoping the reason we don't have any black metal yet is because they blew their entire black metal allowance getting Emperor on board.
    2012 * BTH * 2015 * 2016 * 2017 * 2020
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Azazel101 wrote:All in All, their is still no Black Metal this year!!! :bitch:
    I only need one good one for this cruise to be complete
    Marduk made my 2011 for me
    Emperor are doing special shows next year :dreams:

We always have at least a couple. So far for 2017 there are none that could be even loosely classified as black so its safe to say there will be a few coming. Pretty sure for better or worse one of them will be Venom. And I reckon that Emperor thing is a chance too.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:26 pm

cowboy71 wrote:1 - Crap Metal - Dead Cross

:lol:
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 pm

You could loosely classify Moonsorrow as black metal.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Mark wrote:Ah, the beauty of discussing metal genres :mrgreen:

I would really only classify Orden Ogan as power metal. Maybe very early kamelot, but what they are doing nowadays is definitely symphonic metal to my ears. In fact, I think Serenity sounds pretty similar in style to what Kamelot is doing lately.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Warphine wrote:You could loosely classify Moonsorrow as black metal.

Fair call. They are DEFINITELY another one of those bands that cross genres depending on who you talk to, what era of the band you are referring to, etc
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • PonyBoy
    Wiper

by PonyBoy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:07 pm

V for....

VESUVIUS!!!!!!!!
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:34 pm

By Memnoch's definition of old school death metal I'm definitely in agreement as long as it gets us some old ass Morbid Angel (I agree with this anyways).

By others definitions of proper power metal I'd say we could use some damn Manowar. :headbanger:

If Andys REALLY listening, I'd like to see Carpathian Forest :beerbang:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Wait, so we have like ten legitimate genres of "weenie" metal that all sound pretty much alike to untrained listener, but only three (death, thrash and black) for the whole spectrum of extreme metal? How about we reduce the genres to two: weenie and brutal?

And while I wasn't being all that serious with lumping all those bands together under the power metal banner, they all have a lot more in common than, say, Nile and Immolation or Venom and Taake.
    Wishlist:
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:14 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    Warphine wrote:You could loosely classify Moonsorrow as black metal.

Fair call. They are DEFINITELY another one of those bands that cross genres depending on who you talk to, what era of the band you are referring to, etc

I did forget that we had Moonsorrow but yes, they are on the fence of what genre they are
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:37 am

Azazel101 wrote:I did forget that we had Moonsorrow but yes, they are on the fence of what genre they are

While Moonsorrow clearly has black metal influences and are highly likely to appeal to fans of BM, I think we would all agree they in no way fill the obvious void of BM on the ship.
    Last edited by General Zod on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 am

Memnoch wrote:Saying Suffocation is old school death metal just because they're an old band is like lumping Taake and Venom in the same sub genre. Suffocation is a perfect example of brutal death metal, but their music has nothing to do with old school death metal - especially nowadays. This should be quite obvious to anyone into (extreme) metal. Same with Dying Fetus and Nile. Unleashed too, and they've always been much closer to black metal than death metal.
    And it's not like I'm asking for the whole lineup to be old school death metal. I'd be fine with a couple of solid bands, but for now we have none. Same goes for black metal.

Sure, if you're pretending "old school death metal" is actually a genre. That makes about as much sense to me as calling "classic rock" a genre. I get what you're saying - other than Unleashed, all the death metal bands announced so far are brutal/technical death metal with some grindcore (Dying Fetus) and thrash (Revocation). As for Unleashed, I don't listen to them, and I don't take their word as gospel by any means, but MA lists them as simply "death metal" - no mention of black or even a subgenre. It kind of sounds like you just want one of the Floridian bands... at any rate, I just found it funny that you're actually arguing that bands that were started as the genre was still being defined don't qualify as "old school." I wouldn't have said anything if you'd just gone with "traditional death metal."

As someone said, I would only classify Orden Ogan as power metal of those. Kamelot will play some power metal songs from their early days, but haven't been a power metal band in over a decade. Amaranthe is some kind of bizarre Europop metal, while the others are symphonic metal (those aren't mutually exclusive, e.g. Ancient Bards, but to me they're in that "difficult to classify" zone of symphonic metal). When I said we don't really have any power metal bands, I meant that there's no Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, etc. If I were a big power metal fan (and I'm not), I would not be satisfied with a handful of Kamelot songs and Orden Ogan, which is why I brought it up. I do get your point though - see above.

• Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 am

And here we see the metalheads in their natural habitat, having a discussion about the subgenres of their favourite type of music. Though they know deep within their hearts the debate is largely pointless as it could continue into oblivion, still they persevere, trying desperately to prove that they themselves, as fans of a few particular subgenres, are most screwed for the coming cruise.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:52 am

Phoenix wrote:And here we see the metalheads in their natural habitat, having a discussion about the subgenres of their favourite type of music. Though they know deep within their hearts the debate is largely pointless as it could continue into oblivion, still they persevere, trying desperately to prove that they themselves, as fans of a few particular subgenres, are most screwed for the coming cruise.

That is funny :lol:
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
Post Reply 3265 posts