Post Reply 3265 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

Re: 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 IS SOLD OUT!

by Downvod » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 pm

General Zod wrote:
    Downvod wrote:Anyone else really disappointed in the Theater sound? I don't remember it being that bad last year. For many of the bands, all I could hear was bass, and the lead guitar was drowned out.

The sound in the theater was almost always terrible.

Was this the case last year, though? I guess I didn't spend quite as much time in the Theater in 2016, but aside from maybe Fallujah I didn't recall the sound being real bad.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:41 pm

The pool stage didn't open on time ,I walked by at 10:30 and nobody was playing,first show was supposed to be at 10.Also the 70k wrap banners around the drum riser where missing for first shows in Theater ,along with the big banners for 1st couple of Pool stage sets.Pyarmid Shows where hit and miss for sound while Theater was bad.The pizza is way better than the Majesty,crust still sucks but toppings and cheese where decent.Had a great time ,felt like 2012 first time cruise.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Downvod wrote:
    General Zod wrote:
    Downvod wrote:Anyone else really disappointed in the Theater sound? I don't remember it being that bad last year. For many of the bands, all I could hear was bass, and the lead guitar was drowned out.

The sound in the theater was almost always terrible.

Was this the case last year, though? I guess I didn't spend quite as much time in the Theater in 2016, but aside from maybe Fallujah I didn't recall the sound being real bad.

I definitely thought the theater sound was better last year. This year I think every second band was having monitor problems, plus the general mix was worse.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Thank You To All Survivors From 74 Nations!

by Andy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Survivors! Like every year it has been a blast and makes me feel so good to sail the Caribbean with my Heavy Metal Family for Round 7 of 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Last year we had 72 Nations from around the Globe onbroad 70000TONS OF METAL, and once again I truly thought there is no way we could beat that. But again you proved me wrong! This year you brought that count to 74 Countries! All you Survivors from ANDORRA, ARGENTINA, AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, BELARUS, BELGIUM, BOLIVIA, BRAZIL, BULGARIA, CANADA, CHILE, CHINA, COLOMBIA, COSTA RICA, CROATIA, CUBA, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, EGYPT, EL SALVADOR, ESTONIA, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, GUATEMALA, HONDURAS, HONG KONG, HUNGARY, INDIA, IRAN, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY, JAPAN, LEBANON, LITHUANIA, LUXEMBOURG, MALTA, MEXICO, MOLDOVA, NETHERLANDS, NEW CALEDONIA, NEW ZEALAND, NICARAGUA, NORWAY, PANAMA, PERU, PHILIPPINES, POLAND, PORTUGAL, PUERTO RICO, QATAR, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, SAUDI ARABIA, SINGAPORE, SLOVAKIA, SLOVENIA, SOUTH AFRICA, SPAIN, SRI LANKA, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED KINGDOM, USA and VENEZUELA made 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 once again truly feel like the United Nations Of Heavy Metal At Sea!

A special Thank You to all the members of my incredible crew - you are truly the greatest in the world! Last but not least, Thank You to all the Artists and their Crew for 123 fantastic live performances including Jamming With Waters In International Waters, the Clinics, holding all the Meet & Greet and Signing Sessions and participating in all the other Special Events.

Survivors! I am looking forward to welcoming you back onbroad for Round 8 of 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise sailing from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos and back, February 1-5, 2018.

Thank you and Cheers!

Your Skipper

Madkill
    Petty Officer

by Madkill » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:24 pm

THIS

mbob wrote:Not only was the sound in the theater consistently terrible the artists were having a lot of difficulties with the monitor mix on stage. Can't tell you how many times I watched aggravated musicians trying to signal the onstage mixer. A lot of shows were delayed while they worked out sound problems. Was very disappointed in the theater this year.

Pyramid lounge was also terrible as usual. Ended up seeing very little in there.

Studio B was once again the best venue on the ship. Great sound and stayed pretty much on schedule.

Pool stage sounded great but was behind schedule too much.

I had so many shows to see that delays caused me to miss shows (or parts of shows). The delays were terrible this year.

"So sing, seaman, join my hymn of
    Blood and oil
    Sing her out, sing of our return to
    Rotten soil..."
    - AHAB
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

Re: Thank You To All Survivors From 74 Nations!

by Jimbo2392 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Great job Andy and crew for another great run. I didn't get to make it, but you bet I have to get my butt back on broad next year!
    Now if you can book for round 8 Primordial, Enslaved, Immortal, & Wintersun that would be great! :beerhorns:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Badgerbomb300
    Petty Officer

by Badgerbomb300 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Once again another awesome cruise. Looking forward to the 8th cruise and my Cockburn once more. :D
    Wishlist: Chthonic,Bifröst,Hamatom,HeavenShallBurn,Hirax,HolyGrail,Hypocrisy,IgnisFatuu,
    LegionOfTheDamned,Mokoma,Powerwolf,Schelmish,Suidakra,TenggerCavalry,UnleashTheArchers

UMC 2012,B12,13,14,15,16,17
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 am

Stam1na did start at around 10:30 at the pool deck, the stage wasn't fully completed at that time though and we've been behind schedule the whole day afterwards.
    Alhambra definitely was the worst offender regarding the sound issues but Pyramid and Pool also had their share of bad sound sets sadly.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 am

My first cruise was the best week of my life ! I even got engaged on the boat. There was so much i loved about being surrounded by only metalnheads and metal music .I nolw understand the pcd jokes that i have been hearing for so long. It changes your life completely in the best ways . I made some fantastic friends and had so much fun . Thank you all so much for making this a vacation i will never forget ! :metalguy:

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:10 am

jdch28 wrote:And then Angra's second set happened: some of the mics never worked, both guitars died at some point, and most of the times I heard Fabio cause I was on first row... Still a great performance from their side, but the sound was a sad story :(

Oh man that sounds like it was worse than Kamelot. They only had one song that sounded flawless, the rest was just bad bad bad.

I actually dreaded the Alhambra sets this year. Thankfully I don't think Pain had any issues.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:23 am

The only band I caught in the theater that sounded good was Amorphis.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 am

General Zod wrote:The only band I caught in the theater that sounded good was Amorphis.

Yeah, I was going to say... Amorphis actually had surprisingly good sound in there. It's a good thing too, because it was my first time seeing them, and they were my top band on the cruise. Then immediately after them, Equilibrium sounded awful again.

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Based on this year's first announcement, we have a mere 149 days to go until the first announcement for the next cruise. That should fly by. :D
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Okay, which one of you fucks brought the Cruise Crud on broad? Didn't catch it last year but I'm not feeling well now. :bitch:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Yep, almost every show I heard in the Alhambra had some sort of sound weirdness. For Testament the mix was "drums plus a bit of Testament." --And let's not discuss the truly annoying audience spotlights that blinded us enough that we left that show early. (The spot operator seemed to just turn them on and off randomly, simply adding to the misery.)

I thought Therion sounded decent in the theater, but I was close to the front so I might have missed bad sound in the back of the house....which is where the best sound is supposed to be.

They were ten people short as far as stage crew this year, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack. After seeing the nightmare logistics involved with 70K's production, what they pull off is still pretty amazing.

People say that 70K is way too expensive. It isn't cheap and it's much pricier than a "regular" cruise (by about 3x), but for what you're getting and all the logistics involved (how much DOES that crane on the dock cost, anyway?), it's surprisingly low in price.
    By way of comparison, the Walker Stalker Cruise for Walking Dead fans, which left Miami the day after we left FLL and is actually one day shorter than 70K, costs about a third again what 70K costs...and you don't get 60 bands, you get 10 actors and people from the show....and then autographs and photos with them cost extra. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:11 am

Pellaz wrote:People say that 70K is way too expensive. It isn't cheap and it's much pricier than a "regular" cruise (by about 3x), but for what you're getting and all the logistics involved (how much DOES that crane on the dock cost, anyway?), it's surprisingly low in price.

I have this conversation with people every year. Its expensive for a cruise but it's cheap for a festival, at least if you're from North America. To get a lineup even close to 70k you have to go to Europe, so a flight is basically the price of 70k. 70k includes food, room and board, and ticket price into the cabin price. To me it's definitely not bad at all. Now if I had to travel from AU that'd be a different story. We luck out soo much living in Florida. I can't miss a 70k. 4 hour drive and done.
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:People say that 70K is way too expensive. It isn't cheap and it's much pricier than a "regular" cruise (by about 3x), but for what you're getting and all the logistics involved (how much DOES that crane on the dock cost, anyway?), it's surprisingly low in price.

I have this conversation with people every year. Its expensive for a cruise but it's cheap for a festival, at least if you're from North America. To get a lineup even close to 70k you have to go to Europe, so a flight is basically the price of 70k. 70k includes food, room and board, and ticket price into the cabin price. To me it's definitely not bad at all. Now if I had to travel from AU that'd be a different story. We luck out soo much living in Florida. I can't miss a 70k. 4 hour drive and done.

I talked about this onboard a couple of times. We don't get many bands over here (maybe 3-4 a year) and they are usually pricey, so it's a great opportunity to get to see a lot of bands in a single trip (including many that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise). Yeah, it's not cheap at all, but for me it's completely worth the money.

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:Its expensive for a cruise but it's cheap for a festival, at least if you're from North America. To get a lineup even close to 70k you have to go to Europe, so a flight is basically the price of 70k. 70k includes food, room and board, and ticket price into the cabin price.

Having done a pair of Euro festivals (Wacken 2007 and Sweden Rock 2008), I find the biggest selling point of 70K is the civility of it all. At Euro festivals, once you're there, you're there. There's often no where to even sit down, other than the ground. There's typically no where to escape the blazing hot sun or any of the other elements. If you need to use the bathroom, take a nap, take a break, etc., you don't have the opportunity to simply stroll back to your cabin. There's simply no escaping the crush of humanity that surrounds you. Merely moving between the True Metal Stage and Black Stages at Wacken (which are adjacent) can take twenty minutes. If you camp at the festivals, you have to live in conditions that look like something straight out of the Book of Revelations after seven plagues have hit. If you get a hotel room you have to get you and your rental car back to the room each night. Getting food and drink is a matter of standing in endless lines. And of course none of this even considers that by Day 3 the whole place smells like piss. We were fortunate enough to have VIP badges at both festivals, and even those advantages don't bridge the gap between a Euro festival and 70K.
    Last edited by General Zod on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 am

Monmisreal wrote:

I can understand people saying the cruise is too expensive for their own personal financial situation, but to say it isn't worth the cost is absurd. People pay $5,000 or more for a vacation at a Caribbean resort. This is a 4 day luxury cruise that also happens to include 121 possible concerts, a backstage VIP pass, and all you can eat food. Hard to put a price on the overall atmosphere and experience. I honestly struggle to imagine how UMC makes a profit on this event, with all the involved expenses.

bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Time for the highlights this year:

1. Allegaeon. OK, this has been mentioned before, but for fuck's sake, what a fucking party they put on the Pyramid. That was absolutely legendary. I had so much fan headbanging, moshing and crowdsurfing with the crabs.

2. Scar Symmetry. I was on first row at the Pyramid set and I it was one of the best shows in my entire life. There was a sort of connection that I can't even explain with the guitar player, he came to me and hugged me at the end of the show, and thanked me for singing along every fucking song. All I could say was, dude, thanks to you guys for the killer show! I really, really enjoyed it.

3. Security. Once again, it needs to be said. Things have definitely changed. Security guys are fucking cool now, and they are extremely kind and patient with all the crowd surfing. Great job!!! By the way, did anyone else catch the security guy at Allegaeon cheering the crowd up a few moments before the show stared? Jeez, he didn't know what was coming :D

4. The Pyramid Lounge. I've you've read points 1 and 2, you'll understand. I must take back pretty much everything bad I've said about this place before. It is not good for everything, but it is good if you know what it's good for. If you manage to enjoy one of your favourite bands from the first row, man, you're gonna have a HUGE time. And if you get into a party like Allegaeon did, I can't think of a better place. So yes, the Pyramid works sometimes.

5. The running order. It was great, and I missed much, much less than expected. Good job! Also the weather helped, I think it was the first year out of the last four where no rescheduling was necessary.

6. The general atmosphere. As usual, 70K is synonym for fun, great atmosphere and great people. Luckily enough, nothing changes here. So cool to meet people from all over the world, even if it's just for a few seconds of fun in the middle of a show.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 pm

bodomdragon wrote:2. Scar Symmetry. I was on first row at the Pyramid set and I it was one of the best shows in my entire life. There was a sort of connection that I can't even explain with the guitar player, he came to me and hugged me at the end of the show, and thanked me for singing along every fucking song. All I could say was, dude, thanks to you guys for the killer show! I really, really enjoyed it.

Fuck, that show was amazing. And they ended with Morphogenesis! Only way it could have been better was if they played Holographic Universe. Playing My Heart Will Go On at the start and the end made that show an extra level of special.

I got a pick from Per at their first show. That was pretty special.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Monmisreal wrote:We luck out soo much living in Florida. I can't miss a 70k. 4 hour drive and done.

This is why I'll almost certainly be back next year and every year for the foreseeable future. I essentially commuted, cutting my costs in half or even further compared to international travelers. I also don't drink that much, so my total bill for the cruise, everything included, was around $1200-1300. I've spent more for less.

Other things:
    - No ailments here, other than soreness. I got a lot of rest during bands I didn't care about.
    - The theater sounded awful from the floor. There were multiple bands where the lead guitar was almost absent, and it took like four songs into Amaranthe's set before they fixed Henrik's mic (he had to share with Jake until then, which was pretty amusing). The bands I saw from the upper level sounded fine.
    - I guess I'm just not that big a fan of the band, because (and I can admit this now that Jess doesn't know where I sleep) I was underwhelmed by both of Scar Symmetry's sets. Xandria didn't particularly impress me either. Everyone else I saw was great.
    - Kalmah desperately needs a translator onstage.

All in all, an amazing experience, but I'm not yearning for more like many seem to be. You do reach diminishing returns eventually, and while I had previously thought Andy could extend the cruise, I now realize it's already the right length.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

General Zod wrote:Having done a pair of Euro festivals (Wacken 2007 and Sweden Rock 2008), I find the biggest selling point of 70K is the civility of it all. At Euro festivals, once you're there, you're there. There's often no where to even sit down, other than the ground. There's typically no where to escape the blazing hot sun or any of the other elements. If you need to use the bathroom, take a nap, take a break, etc., you don't have the opportunity to simply stroll back to your cabin. There's simply no escaping the crush of humanity that surrounds you. Merely moving between the True Metal Stage and Black Stages at Wacken (which are adjacent) can take twenty minutes. If you camp at the festivals, you have to live in conditions that look like something straight out of the Book of Revelations after seven plagues have hit. If you get a hotel room you have to get you and your rental car back to the room each night. Getting food and drink is a matter of standing in endless lines. And of course none of this even considers that by Day 3 the whole place smells like piss. We were fortunate enough to have VIP badges at both festivals, and even those advantages don't bridge the gap between a Euro festival and 70K.

Well, sorry to tell you, but your post is so full of bullshit it's not even funny. Just going to TWO metal festivals in Europe almost ten years ago didn't make you an expert, obviously...

I've been to Wacken 2003, then Fury Fest 2004/2005, and every Hellfest since 2006. And I often speak with people from all over Europe that are going to other festivals in Europe. While Wacken is way too big/crowded according to a friend that goes there every year, I can guarantee that absolutely everything you say is false regarding Hellfest (even if it's close to be overcrowded as well, that's why they don't sell more tickets anymore since 2015). You have places to rest, tons of food stands, lots of bars, places to sit, to hide from the sun, shower with (kind of) hot water, the place is clean, etc. And I know for sure that Brutal Assault is really good as well, Party San is cool...
    The only really annoying thing is the non stop rain for the whole fest, it happened to me only once, during the Hellfest 2007. But even if it was total hell, and WAY more disorganized than now, it's still one of my best experiences ever.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:2. Scar Symmetry. I was on first row at the Pyramid set and I it was one of the best shows in my entire life. There was a sort of connection that I can't even explain with the guitar player, he came to me and hugged me at the end of the show, and thanked me for singing along every fucking song. All I could say was, dude, thanks to you guys for the killer show! I really, really enjoyed it.

Fuck, that show was amazing. And they ended with Morphogenesis! Only way it could have been better was if they played Holographic Universe. Playing My Heart Will Go On at the start and the end made that show an extra level of special.

I'm so pissed. Wife wanted to go to the sit-down restaurant once, and the only time was right before and during the Scar Symmetry pyramid set. I said OK since I had seen them headline a few months ago. Now you are all talking about how great a show it was...and the sit-down restaurant sucked big-time. Oh, well. Wife agrees that there will be no sit-down restaurant next year.
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:02 pm

General Zod wrote:The only band I caught in the theater that sounded good was Amorphis.

Haggard sounded amazing as well (I was up top, could have been worse from the floor). Although, it's entirely possible that I was just so amazed by their combination of symphony, opera, and metal that I just didn't notice a bad mix. :)

- Kalmah desperately needs a translator onstage.

So true. I had not a damn clue what that dude was saying. He sure thought he was funny though.

4. The Pyramid Lounge. I've you've read points 1 and 2, you'll understand. I must take back pretty much everything bad I've said about this place before. It is not good for everything, but it is good if you know what it's good for. If you manage to enjoy one of your favourite bands from the first row, man, you're gonna have a HUGE time. And if you get into a party like Allegaeon did, I can't think of a better place. So yes, the Pyramid works sometimes.

I think Pyramid really only works for bands you're already familiar with. Even then, it's sometimes tough to listen to because the mix in there never seems to be right. I'm a huge Allegaeon fan, and even I had a hard time deciphering song from just...noise. My friend who wasn't previously familiar with them, said it just sounded like "really loud mush" to him. Witchtrap had the bass drum so loud it was drowning out everything else. Any guitar solo from Scar Symmetry simply got lost in the mix.

Lounge can be fun, but you have to know the music beforehand to enjoy a show there, methinks.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:03 pm

meshuggah wrote:I'm so pissed. Wife wanted to go to the sit-down restaurant once, and the only time was right before and during the Scar Symmetry pyramid set. I said OK since I had seen them headline a few months ago. Now you are all talking about how great a show it was...and the sit-down restaurant sucked big-time. Oh, well. Wife agrees that there will be no sit-down restaurant next year.

I've done two 70K's now, and have yet to go to the sit-down restaurant. There's never any time.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:57 pm

I quite enjoyed Fancy Dinner this year. I got the lasagna, plus a soup, plus a salad, plus two desserts. :mrgreen:
    Imminance
    Oiler

by Imminance » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 pm

I ate a fancy dinner because it was free on my birthday. But I felt bad being dressed in a band t shit and swim trunks though...I swear I only did it thought because the RC website said no dress codes would be enforced! :boobs:
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:16 am

Phoenix wrote:

It is actually a good thing they didn't play Holographic Universe. I was so fucking ecstatic after they played The Anomaly, The Illusionist and The Iconoclast in a row, that if they had added Holographic Universe to the pack I don't even know what would have happened to me :D
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 am

mooyagi wrote:I quite enjoyed Fancy Dinner this year. I got the lasagna, plus a soup, plus a salad, plus two desserts. :mrgreen:

We stole your woman and took her with us to fancy dinner :twisted: We ate almost exclusively in the dining room this time around, guess the schedule just worked out that way for us.

I'm really glad to hear some people enjoyed them but I'll be honest, I was SUPER disappointed with both of their performances. They sounded awesome at Progpower and I was really looking forward to them on the boat. But the clean vocals sounded SO flat, especially during their first set. I stuck it out in the ice rink despite how bad they sounded, and even went to the second set too; second set was better but I still wouldn't say it sounded good.
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:38 am

Daenerys wrote:I'm really glad to hear some people enjoyed them but I'll be honest, I was SUPER disappointed with both of their performances. They sounded awesome at Progpower and I was really looking forward to them on the boat. But the clean vocals sounded SO flat, especially during their first set. I stuck it out in the ice rink despite how bad they sounded, and even went to the second set too; second set was better but I still wouldn't say it sounded good.

You're not wrong, the mix was flawed both shows. Being up front helped compensate. Also something something Christian...

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Daenerys wrote:I'm really glad to hear some people enjoyed them but I'll be honest, I was SUPER disappointed with both of their performances. They sounded awesome at Progpower and I was really looking forward to them on the boat. But the clean vocals sounded SO flat, especially during their first set. I stuck it out in the ice rink despite how bad they sounded, and even went to the second set too; second set was better but I still wouldn't say it sounded good.

Yeah, I must agree they had some obvious problems with the mix regarding the clean voices. The sound was far from perfect. But my experience from the first row, as the phoenix here says, was absolutely priceless anyway :)
    Wishlist:

PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't know how I'm ever going to top this year's cruise.

-Only missed a small handful of sets I wanted to make: Allegaeon & Scar Symmetry's second sets, Demolition Hammer's second set, Moonsorrow's second set. I'm sure there were a few more but I forget. Significant number of the misses were because I was busy getting laid.
    -Feel much better on return as compared to 2012 cruise. I intentionally drank less, slept more, took vitamin C and zinc supplements. This appears to have worked so far. I was pretty severely depressed/emotionally unstable after 2012 I suspect because of the drinking levels. Taking extra days off for pre-party, post-party, and recuperation was a wise choice. I also made time each day of cruise to spend 30-45 minutes in sauna for detox & mental relaxation.
    -Made awesome connections with two rad ladies. Was not as successful balancing time & attention between each as I would have liked. Partially because boat madness makes finding people a real challenge, even at pre-agreed times and places. Spending $40 to have slow wi-fi on broad was a good choice.
    -Made a bunch of new friends. Was worried about feeling lonely as this cruise was solo ticket while 2012 was a group of 2 other longtime Seattle area metal friends. Loneliness was never a problem after pre-party.
    -Only saw 3 pit etiquette violations the whole time. I heard reports of people groping girls who were crowdsurfing but did not catch anyone doing so myself. Was amazed at how civil people were.
    -One thing I missed: having 2 hot tubs facing stage on the main deck and the continual inter-hot tub rivalry. There were 3 hot tubs this year, but 2 were off to the side of the stage and had a very relaxed atmosphere.

Some memorable set moments:
      +Catching another dude's forehead by accident at the beginning of Mors Principium Est's second set. Got a nice cut that bled like crazy and a good black eye. Stuck around for the rest of the set then went to medical to get it checked, causing me to miss Moonsorrow.
      +Crazy levels of jig dancing and woah-oh singalongs during Moonsorrow
      +Etiquette coaching a girl who had accidentally hit Ryan in the face in Demolition Hammer's 1st set pit. She was embarrassed at first but I helped her feel OK and brought her back into the pit later
      +Waiting for Amorphis pool deck set to start, meeting Doug the guy who started Speakeasy, a telecom services company in Seattle I knew pretty well (fuck yeah metal networking!)
      +Hot tub mosh pit / crowd surfing & dropping surfers into the tub (no idea which set)
      +Helping start up a small jig pit during Orden Ogan's Lounge set
    Last edited by PacNW on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I quite enjoyed Fancy Dinner this year. I got the lasagna, plus a soup, plus a salad, plus two desserts. :mrgreen:

We stole your woman and took her with us to fancy dinner :twisted: We ate almost exclusively in the dining room this time around, guess the schedule just worked out that way for us.

That's okay since before that you told me she was having cocktails with Gnoff. So thanks for rescuing her. :lol: Love you, Gnoffi!
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:23 pm

PacNW wrote:I don't know how I'm ever going to top this year's cruise.

-Only missed a small handful of sets I wanted to make: Allegaeon & Scar Symmetry's second sets, Demolition Hammer's second set, Moonsorrow's second set. I'm sure there were a few more but I forget. Significant number of the misses were because I was busy getting laid.
    -Feel much better on return as compared to 2012 cruise. I intentionally drank less, slept more, took vitamin C and zinc supplements. This appears to have worked so far. I was pretty severely depressed/emotionally unstable after 2012 I suspect because of the drinking levels. Taking extra days off for pre-party, post-party, and recuperation was a wise choice. I also made time each day of cruise to spend 30-45 minutes in sauna for detox & mental relaxation.
    -Made awesome connections with two rad ladies. Was not as successful balancing time & attention between each as I would have liked. Partially because boat madness makes finding people a real challenge, even at pre-agreed times and places. Spending $40 to have slow wi-fi on broad was a good choice.
    -Made a bunch of new friends. Was worried about feeling lonely as this cruise was solo ticket while 2012 was a group of 2 other longtime Seattle area metal friends. Loneliness was never a problem after pre-party.
    -Only saw 3 pit etiquette violations the whole time. I heard reports of people groping girls who were crowdsurfing but did not catch anyone doing so myself. Was amazed at how civil people were.
    -One thing I missed: having 2 hot tubs facing stage on the main deck and the continual inter-hot tub rivalry. There were 3 hot tubs this year, but 2 were off to the side of the stage and had a very relaxed atmosphere.

+Catching another dude's forehead by accident at the beginning of Mors Principium Est's second set. Got a nice cut that bled like crazy and a good black eye. Stuck around for the rest of the set then went to medical to get it checked, causing me to miss Moonsorrow.
      +Etiquette coaching a girl who had accidentally hit Ryan in the face in Demolition Hammer's 1st set pit. She was embarrassed at first but I helped her feel OK and brought her back into the pit later
      +Waiting for Amorphis pool deck set to start, meeting Doug the guy who started Speakeasy, a telecom services company in Seattle I knew pretty well (fuck yeah metal networking!)
      +Hot tub mosh pit / crowd surfing & dropping surfers into the tub (no idea which set)

Missed a metal set to get laid?! Blasphemy!

While we are on the topic... why do I feel like certain people come on this cruise for the sole purpose of hooking up? It seems like there would be much cheeper and convenient ways to get laid. Some of the ladies walking around with their shirts open the entire trip, and flirting with every guy or band member they see... :boobs:

I guess it is just something I don't really see in the metal scene outside of the cruise. At times I feel like I'm on a metal version of the Jersey Shore. I guess I just missed that stage of my 20's :lol:

PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Honestly, I did not plan on hooking up, it kinda just happened. The boat does have a crazy, party too hard, everyone go nuts atmosphere that is conducive to sexual profligacy (which I support 100%). I might be a little more supportive as I normally practice a polyamorous lifestyle.

It's your cruise, do it however you like! If you wanna catch every set, or get more sleep, or get blackout drunk, whatever! Choose what you enjoy most :)
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 pm

PacNW wrote:Honestly, I did not plan on hooking up, it kinda just happened. The boat does have a crazy, party too hard, everyone go nuts atmosphere that is conducive to sexual profligacy (which I support 100%). I might be a little more supportive as I normally practice a polyamorous lifestyle.

It's your cruise, do it however you like! If you wanna catch every set, or get more sleep, or get blackout drunk, whatever! Choose what you enjoy most :)

No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that toward you at all. That was just me going on a tangent.

PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Oh I didn't take it as commentary against me :) Just avoiding working on stuff!
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Downvod wrote:
    PacNW wrote:I don't know how I'm ever going to top this year's cruise.

Missed a metal set to get laid?! Blasphemy!

While we are on the topic... why do I feel like certain people come on this cruise for the sole purpose of hooking up? It seems like there would be much cheeper and convenient ways to get laid. Some of the ladies walking around with their shirts open the entire trip, and flirting with every guy or band member they see... :boobs:

I guess it is just something I don't really see in the metal scene outside of the cruise. At times I feel like I'm on a metal version of the Jersey Shore. I guess I just missed that stage of my 20's :lol:

I'm doing the dressing up thing wrong clearly, all of the metal bras and I didn't get laid once. Too busy seeing sets.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

There is definitely an element of random chance. Maybe next year we should have a 70K wingman/wingwoman group :)
  • Post Reply 3265 posts