Post Reply 28 posts Page 1 of 1
Drink Question
    Wudan
    Oiler

Drink Question

by Wudan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:05 am

I've been on cruises before but not 70k. Is it the standard RC drink packages at the time of online check-in? Same for excursions?
    -------------
    2019 Wislist
    Powerwolf - Diabulus in Musica - Semblant - The Agonist - Turisas - Tiamat - Within Temptation - Frantic Amber - Jinjer - Unleash the Archers - Tarja - Lacuna Coil - Crystal Lake

2017 - 2362
    2019 - Take my money!
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Drink Question

by mbob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:07 am

The only drink package available is for soda and coffee. There will be no alcohol packages sold on the cruise. They sell way to much (make too much money on) alcohol to sell the packages.

Wudan wrote:I've been on cruises before but not 70k. Is it the standard RC drink packages at the time of online check-in? Same for excursions?
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

by JARI » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Yep, last time my bill was 700$ without merchandise. :belly:
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

mbob wrote:The only drink package available is for soda and coffee. There will be no alcohol packages sold on the cruise. They sell way to much (make too much money on) alcohol to sell the packages.

Pretty much that. If 70K isn't the single biggest-drinking cruise in the world, I'd like to know who is..... :beerwink:

Last February there was a delay with Royal adding the soda packages to online ordering before the cruise, but UMC got it resolved pretty quickly. I'm not much of a drinker (HERESY! BLASPHEMY MADE FLESH! :lol: ), so I get the cheaper version of the soda package on the cruise.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:42 pm

mbob wrote:The only drink package available is for soda and coffee. There will be no alcohol packages sold on the cruise. They sell way to much (make too much money on) alcohol to sell the packages.

There's actually a water package too. They unfortunately only offer it in a 12 pack of 1L bottles if I recall correctly but it was a good price. I credit having lots of water readily available when I stumble back to my room at night to preventing me from getting the cruise SARS :mrgreen:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    There's actually a water package too. They unfortunately only offer it in a 12 pack of 1L bottles if I recall correctly but it was a good price. I credit having lots of water readily available when I stumble back to my room at night to preventing me from getting the cruise SARS :mrgreen:

This. I recommend doing this. It's also really good if you wake up hungover.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

by JARI » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:

This. I recommend doing this. It's also really good if you wake up hungover.

I didnt drink anything without alcohol, you dont get hangover if you stay drunk. :3drunks: :heavydrink:
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

JARI wrote:
    I didnt drink anything without alcohol, you dont get hangover if you stay drunk. :3drunks: :heavydrink:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Not sure if the policy changed since 2015, but I threw a case of water and Redbull in a duffel bag and brought it through no problems. We then used the duffel bag for dirty clothes. Still spent over $500 on booze! :belly: :heavydrink: :3drunks: :beerhorns: :party:
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Are the beverages adecent price or are they crazy overpriced?
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 pm

AceHugger wrote:Are the beverages adecent price or are they crazy overpriced?

They're not as bad as they could be. Gratuity is included in the price. There's something like 8000 threads about booze prices somewhere in the thread graveyard but I'm too lazy to look it up. :beerwink:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    AceHugger wrote:Are the beverages adecent price or are they crazy overpriced?

They're not as bad as they could be. Gratuity is included in the price. There's something like 8000 threads about booze prices somewhere in the thread graveyard but I'm too lazy to look it up. :beerwink:

If you find one bartender to make friends with, the pour becomes better and better with each drink.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Yeah what he said - they are not cheap, but they are not quite as nasty as the drink prices at a lot of festivals.

However there was a noticeable increase in prices this year. Hopefully they dont rise again :|
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 pm

They must bring more Chimay
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 pm

compared 2015 where most bar tenders hated us to 2016 where there were several very nice bar tenders who made for a lot cheaper trip than the previous year (keep in mind it was two totally different ships/crews)

I look forward to this year as many of the crew from 2016 will be serving us again in 2017 :cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer: I just hope I can find them :lol: :lol: :lol:

but alas RC would lose too much money offering drink/booze packages to us ...... setting record sales almost every year kind of hurt us :lol: :lol: :lol: still the price isn't any worse than most bars around the US anyways so I'm okay with that :bangers:
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

by JARI » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:57 pm

Its cheaper than Finland anyway.
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:48 am

Well compared to Germany it's horrendously overpriced but like others have said, it could be way worse.
    If you want to go with hard stuff it's good to get to know the different bartenders because the amount of booze per serving differs wildly.
    If you want to go with beer/cider it mostly depends on how bad of a beer you can stomach. Bud, Millers and all the rest of the piss beers are rather cheap, the halfway decent ones are a little more expensive.
    They do have a good selection to choose from though so if you are willing to spend some more you can get really good drinks.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • CFH
    Crewman

by CFH » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:39 am

JARI wrote:Its cheaper than Finland anyway.

I'd disagree. About the same, if not even a bit more expensive. Bottle of Stella was 6,5 $ if I recall correctly and cocktails were 10 - 13 $. I could get a pint of Stella from Finland with 6,5 € and a Gin n Tonic for well under 10 bucks.

Okay, maybe Fosters would count as pretty cheap even for a Finn, but when I'm on a vacation for which I pay around 3000 euros to be on, I'm not going to try and save my money by drinking Fosters ;)
    Kay Healy
    Oiler

by Kay Healy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 am

yeahhhh packages will never happen! spent about $1000 on alcohol last year between me and the husband :givebeer:
    Survivor 2016- 9283

2017 Wish list: Pagans Mind, Wintersun, Blind Guardian, Nekrogoblikon, Serenity, Sonata Arctica, Battle Beast, Nightwish, Ayreon, Symphony X, Alestorm, Whispered, Devin Townsend, Dark Tranquility, Opeth and many more
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Royal Caribean FAQ says you can bring 2 750 ml bottles on board with you per stateroom:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Wine may be consumed in any shipboard restaurant, dining venue, or within the guests' stateroom. Wine brought onboard may not be shared for consumption in private group events, and/or in lounges made private for the exclusive use of a group.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customers ... jectId=333

However, I think I saw on the forum previously someone saying they brought wine, had it confiscated, but it was delivered to their room on the last day? I'm sure 2 bottles of Malbec could make a small dent in my impending booze tab, so if you know speak up!
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 pm

PacNW wrote:Royal Caribean FAQ says you can bring 2 750 ml bottles on board with you per stateroom:

However, I think I saw on the forum previously someone saying they brought wine, had it confiscated, but it was delivered to their room on the last day? I'm sure 2 bottles of Malbec could make a small dent in my impending booze tab, so if you know speak up!

One of my friends tried to bring two bottles of wine with them and they never saw them again. You can try the Rum Runner gambit but you might lose the liquor.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:26 pm

I just called Royal Caribbean's customer help line and they told me the wine policy does apply to 70,000 tons. As long as you bring 2 or less bottles, 750 ml or smaller, and they are wine or champagne, should be good to go. I think I will try and see what happens.

Way back in 2012 we snuck on vodka in a water bottle successfully. Might consider that again, but I'd be afraid to be caught and get kicked off the cruise.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:34 pm

PacNW wrote:I just called Royal Caribbean's customer help line and they told me the wine policy does apply to 70,000 tons. As long as you bring 2 or less bottles, 750 ml or smaller, and they are wine or champagne, should be good to go. I think I will try and see what happens.

Way back in 2012 we snuck on vodka in a water bottle successfully. Might consider that again, but I'd be afraid to be caught and get kicked off the cruise.

... Huh. So Royal Caribbean got away with stealing my friend's two bottles of wine. Jerks.

Well if that's true, I'll remember that. I prefer to drink wine anyway.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:36 pm

Another little alcohol tip - go for the "cocktail of the day"

Usually multiple shots of alcohol, usually awesome, and usually a bargain price :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm

For the 2015 cruise, security confiscated our wine, with the promise that it would be delivered to our stateroom. It never happened, and suddenly none of the security people on the boat knew anything about it. We made a stink with Royal Caribbean, and they comped us 2 bottles on 2016 70000 Tons.

From what I've heard, if you put it in your checked luggage, they won't touch it. They'll take it only if you carry it on.
    Master Killer
    Crewman

by Master Killer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    PacNW wrote:I just called Royal Caribbean's customer help line and they told me the wine policy does apply to 70,000 tons. As long as you bring 2 or less bottles, 750 ml or smaller, and they are wine or champagne, should be good to go. I think I will try and see what happens.

... Huh. So Royal Caribbean got away with stealing my friend's two bottles of wine. Jerks.

Well if that's true, I'll remember that. I prefer to drink wine anyway.

I believe that's incorrect. I was told the 2 bottle policy only applies to regular cruises, not to charters like 70,000tons.

Anyway, I am pretty sure this topic has been discussed somewhere in previous years, maybe someone can find the old thread.

I think it's a liability issue. On a ship in the middle of the ocean you want to be able to cut someone off before they go over... broad? Over broad! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:3drunks: :heavydrink: :stagger: :shots: :heavydrink:
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Hmm, I specifically told the customer service agent it was a charter music cruise. However, she also suggested I look into buying an alcohol package, so I'm not sure she was real knowledgeable about it.

I do so love arguing with people though, especially where money is concerned. Looking forward to trying to get my 2 bottles of Malbec on broad :D
    Master Killer
    Crewman

by Master Killer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:14 pm

PacNW wrote:Hmm, I specifically told the customer service agent it was a charter music cruise. However, she also suggested I look into buying an alcohol package, so I'm not sure she was real knowledgeable about it.

I do so love arguing with people though, especially where money is concerned. Looking forward to trying to get my 2 bottles of Malbec on broad :D

There you go. People are different.

Why would you spend a shit ton of money to go on a cruise like this, already looking forward to ruining the first day by possibly arguing with some security officer because they take your two cheap bottles of wine?

Sounds a little like flying business class but already looking forward to ruining the experience by trying to bring your own pillow and arguing with the flight attendant who does not want to let you bring it own because it's not fire proof.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:shots: :heavydrink: :stagger: :chug: :3drunks: :pound: :heavydrink:
  • Post Reply 28 posts Page 1 of 1