Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
Rate the cruises
  • mjb7e
    Oiler

Rate the cruises

by mjb7e » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:55 am

Question to those with 2+ cruises under their belt. Rate the cruises you've been on (2011-2016). What made some cruises better than others? Does the band lineup have the biggest influence?
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

Re: Rate the cruises

by meshuggah » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:35 am

This will be my 5th time onbroad. I liked the more intimate 40 band cruises because of the ability to see all of the bands I wanted to see without the problems of conflicts and overlapping. Also the sight lines on the pool deck were better on Majesty.

The line-up does matter, but out of 60 bands there will certainly be at least 45-50 I would want to see. Rumor has it that some bands will be playing one of their sets on Labadee, so that will eliminate some conflicts (or it will eliminate some of the 4:00 and 5:00 AM sets, which would be a good thing).
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:35 am

Barge to Hell was best.
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:40 am

They were all excellent but here is my ranking. Lineup is part of it but other factors may play in too such as crew and what I did when not seeing shows. Also, how much I actually remember. :?

70K 2011 - The first one was the most magical. It's hard to beat the feeling of realizing that this thing is actually happening.
    Barge to Hell - Much more intimate. It felt like being on there was being part of something unique.
    70K 2016 - Great lineup, great crew, great friends, made up for a slightly disappointing trip the previous year.
    70K 2012 - Like a big family reunion.
    70K 2014 - 2014 and 2013 were equal I think. Good times but just didn't stand out as much as the higher ranked ones.
    70K 2013 - 2014 and 2013 were equal I think. Good times but just didn't stand out as much as the higher ranked ones.
    70K 2015 - The new ship didn't feel right and the crew made it seem like we weren't welcome on broad. Still enjoyed it a lot but it was the worst one.
    Last edited by mooyagi on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 am

mooyagi wrote:They were all excellent but here is my ranking. Lineup is part of it but other factors may play in too such as crew and what I did when not seeing shows. Also, how much I actually remember. :?

70K 2011 - The first one was the most magical. It's hard to beat the feeling of realizing that this thing is actually happening.
    Barge to Hell - Much more intimate. It felt like being on there was being part of something unique.
    70K 2016 - Great lineup, great crew, great friends, made up for a slightly disappointing trip the previous year.
    70K 2012 - Tough to follow up Barge to Hell but it was more like a family reunion since many people missed Barge.
    70K 2014 - 2014 and 2013 were equal I think. Good times but just didn't stand out as much as the higher ranked ones.
    70K 2015 - The new ship didn't feel right and the crew made it seem like we weren't welcome on broad. Still enjoyed it a lot but it was the worst one.

I agree with this 100%
    you nailed it :bangers:
    I got really sick on one of them. Think it was 2013, but still had a good time
    so, on that note 2013 was the follow up to Barge To Hell as that was December of 2012
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Azazel101 wrote:so, on that note 2013 was the follow up to Barge To Hell as that was December of 2012

Good catch. I always make that mistake.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Cool idea for a thread!

70K 2011 - The first one. Was to be a "once in a lifetime" experience for us (ha!). Plus it was our honeymoon. Plus it was our first time in the USA. Great lineup with several bucket-list highlights for me (Trouble, Circle II Circle, Iced Earth with Barlow, Dark Tranquillity, Tyr, Ensiferum, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Epica, Sonata).

70K 2016 - Great lineup, great crew, great friends. Agree with Mooyagi 100% here! The new boat seemed more ... 'right'. The lineup was just off the chart as far as my tastes go with some of my all time faves I've seen before being joined by some huge wishlist bands in Twilight Force and Rhapsody of Fire.

70K 2012 - Not quite as good as 2011. But some great bands (Nightwish, Kamelot, Edguy), and some that were "new discoveries" for me at the time (Eluveitie, Therion, Amorphis, Orphaned Land).

70K 2013 - Interesting one for me as it was the only 70k that my wife didn't accompany me on. A good lineup but nothing truly 'bucket list' for me as the highlights were all bands I'd seen previously, except Delain. Rage with LMO was a nice surprise too.

70K 2014 - One of the best for me lineup wise. Several huge ones like Xandria, Gloryhammer, Freedom Call. Discovered Haggard. Epic cruise. THAT FUCKING 6 MONTH GAP OF ZERO BAND ANNOUNCEMENTS THO. That left a bitter taste in the mouth.

70K 2015 - Massive disappointment lineup wise. Nothing truly amazing for me. The last minute addition of Wintersun rectified things slightly. But due to the underwhelming nature of the lineup, I did get to spend a lot more time with the amazing friends I've made over the course of this 70k experience so that was a MASSIVE plus.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:22 am

Compared to what others have writter here I look like a total newbie here, but still, here's my list:

70k 2016 - The lineup was a total blast. I loved the boat, being the second time in it (well, 2015 was a twin brother of this one, but still) I felt more familiarized and the food was also better.

70k 2014 - My first cruise. Expectations were not THAT high after the 6 month silence, which was incredibly frustrating. Luckily enough, once onbroad everything went smooth and it was a hell of an experience. As my frist cruise, this is the one that made me fall in love with this, and will keep me going probably for a long time.

70k 2015 - Still an unforgettable experience. Being the worst rated one in my short list doesn't make it by any means a bad one. It was just the "less good one". The lineup was not as good as I expected, but it helped me discover some amazing bands.

Let's see where 2017 ranks :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:00 pm

2015 - Worst line up in cruise history. The bands I actually liked I had seen so many times that I didn't even give a shit they were there. Therion was the only band I was excited to see as I had only seen them once before 10 years prior. So not much to care about and not one band that I knew personally, to say I was pissed all year would be an understatement.. The only thing that saved it was the addition of Wintersun while I was at the beach party. Great band and I am friends with them so I had people to hang out with. I had tons of down time. Oh, and Jamaica sucked.

2016 - World of difference. To me, that line up blows away any previous line up. Most of my absolute favorite bands were on and a ton of bands I am friends with. Unlike 2015 I had almost no down time. Finding time to eat or sleep was hard, I was running from show to show almost the whole time. I highly doubt anything will top 2016, it was just fucking amazing. Only downside, Jamaica sucked in 2015, but the port in 2016 was even worse.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • drrock
    Crewman

by drrock » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 am

Concerning my taste of music all uneven years were more exciting than the even ones. 2017 is no exception to this rule. Concerning the kindness of staff 2015 was the worst cruise, 2011 and 2016 were best. In terms of food (Windjammer Cafe) the quality is getting worse since 2015. It is always the same... Cruisers have been great on ALL cruises so far and I desperately hope that 2017 is no exception to this particular rule.
    2017 = 40 yrs in rock and metal!
    MonicaMM
    Crewman

by MonicaMM » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:41 pm

This is gonna be my 3rd, so...

2015 - I was excited for being there for the first time, 2 of my favorite bands were there and I had such a great time with them. But the lineup itself wasnt that good, I had enough time have dinner at the fancy restaurant every night. Ocho Rios was good.

2016 - Awesome lineup, another 2 of my favorite bands were there, lots of friends, lots of fun, lots of new experiences... no time to sleep or eat, but who cares having so much fun? Falmouth sucked, but I hardly doubt there will be a better cruise than 2016.

I guess Im gonna have much more fun this year 'cause Im gonna meet even more friends and Labadee sounds great, but in my opinion the lineup is the weakest ever by now.
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2023 survivor

Favorite bands: Amorphis - Samael - Moonspell - Blind Guardian - Therion - Paradise Lost - Rammstein - Avantasia - Helloween
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:29 am

Not an easy question, but here:

1) 2013. It was a great lineup for me. The fact that it was my second trip (2012 was the first time I went out of my country, it was a little stressful) made it easier for me to sit back, relax and enjoy the shows. I also had made some new friends whom I still talk to today. Turks and Caicos Islands were absolutely incredible, by far the best destination we've been to. One hell of a time for sure!

2) 2016. Quality lineup (although I was disappointed by some performances), all my friends were there, no conflicts, direct flights... The new boat was not new anymore so we knew where to go, and the... problematic behavior of some cruisers we had to endure in 2015 was not part of the trip this time. Hopefully this year will match the quality of last year's.

3) 2014. One word: Gloryhammer. Their pool deck set remains my favorite set of all 5 70K I did. Costa Maya SUCKED. Some fun shows, but there was some conflicts in my group that really darkened our trip a lot. The storm we went through during the cruise was NOT nice, many people got sick... But overall, a fun year.

5) Actually, 2012 should have been fun, but as I said, it was my first international trip, and stress took over at some key points during the cruise. I was a little disappointed by some sets (Eluveitie played much later than they were supposed to, Kamelot with Fabio did the exact same set both times...), but overall, the feeling of seeing bands under the stars on the ocean for the first time was absolutely memorable. I will never forget the crazy decision I took to book 70K that year! :-D

4) 2015. Lineup wise, it was mediocre (although the Wintersun addition at the last minute saved the day), but many shows were quite fun (Alestorm's last gig was absolutely stellar) and it was nice to discover a new boat and its weird art (I saved the pictures, some were creepy as fuck). There were many people that acted like total cunts that year, though, and I know some girls got groped by drunk folks, which I find unacceptable. I had a hard time recognizing the metal community I cherished. Fortunately, last year was completely different!
    Papa Emeritus
    Oiler

by Papa Emeritus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:57 am

2013 Turks and Caicos...Our best port yet. Line up was decent.

This year is going to be the best. Most solid line up, port looks fucking unreal.
    Wishlist
    Ghost - Devin Townsend - Soilwork - Sabaton - Borknagar - Abbath - Ihsahn - Khemmis - Igorr - Septic Flesh - Enslaved - Skeletonwitch - Satyricon - Belphegor - Dan Swano - Belakor - Gojira - Ulver - Carach Angren - Avatar -
    2013 - Survivor
    2014 - Survivor
    2015 - Abandoned ship
    2016 - Survivor
    2017 - Survivor
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 am

2012 -First and the best mainly because it was the first.The line-up was very good but not deep enough,however with time for Meet and Greets and exploration of the ship ,the cruise flew by.Had excellent time and energetic after cruise.Port of Call was decent but tender boats kinda suck.
    2013 -Best Line up and got to see many shows ,the Port of Call was the best and had good time.Being used to the whole process was a plus also.
    2014 -Worst ,bad weather last day after a weak line up with just a couple of savior bands announced late.Plus a couple of over zealous cruisers where hurting the atmosphere,reading about cruising on line (bigger ships better with dealing with a few annoying people) glad to be on a bigger ship this year.The Majesty felt too small after 3 cruises.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 am

mooyagi wrote:They were all excellent but here is my ranking. Lineup is part of it but other factors may play in too such as crew and what I did when not seeing shows. Also, how much I actually remember. :?

70K 2012 - Like a big family reunion.
    70K 2013 - 2014 and 2013 were equal I think. Good times but just didn't stand out as much as the higher ranked ones.

^^^
    What he said :headbanger:
    2011 followed by BtH(period) This topic should be closed.
    There can only be the ONE cruise to rule them 'all and it already happened in 2011. Sometimes I pinch myself to make sure I was indeed part of it. The Barge to Hell was epic but a lot of people missed it, so I include it as an honorary mention here.

100% agree as 2015 being the worst - a meh lineup, not-too-friendly new boat and the crew, food was disgusting and Jamaica sucked. Liberty won't be missed. I do miss our old girl, the Majesty. We rocked that boat big time! :headbanger: :beerbang: :headbanger:

Enjoy cruising and boozing peeps and,
    Cheers!
    :bangers:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1