Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1
First timer - so many questions - help
  • Daga
    Wiper

First timer - so many questions - help

by Daga » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:38 am

Hi guys,

I'm first timer and I need some help :oops: ...

Ok, I've already got the ticket (yay!), but I've never been to US before.
    I know I have to book flight ticket :->.
    What date should I arrive to Miami? 31.01 or 01.02? Or even earlier to spend some time in Miami and see something? (what's worth seeing there?)
    I see some party going on in Miami before the cruise - when will it start? How to get there?
    Maybe some of you will be there earlier than day before? And we could meet, as I go there alone?
    Another question - do you know where in Miami you can book cheap accomodation?
    And where I can leave my belongings during the trip? (I plan to have many things I shouldn't bring to the ship).
    I plan to stay in US for few weeks after the trip and sightseeing - maybe someone has the same idea (or did the same last year?) and want to share best way to do this (I mean low cost holiday). Is it better to rent a car or hitchhike or what?
    Maybe some of you wants to join? Of course it would be better to travel with some metal fan than with random non-metal people ;-).

Or maybe someone from Poland is also going to 70000tons?

So many question, maybe some of you know at least some answers?
    If you want to contact me via email, don't hesitate - suowo(at)wp.pl

Thanks in advance! See you in 5 months :wank:
    Daga
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: First timer - so many questions - help

by Pellaz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Daga wrote:Hi guys,

I'm first timer and I need some help :oops: ...

Ok, I've already got the ticket (yay!), but I've never been to US before.
    I know I have to book flight ticket :->.
    What date should I arrive to Miami? 31.01 or 01.02? Or even earlier to spend some time in Miami and see something?

This is entirely up to you and how much you're prepared to spend on pre-cruise expenses (for hotels, getting around, etc.) My friend Rafael and I are arriving the day before departure and are planning on going to the pre-cruise party, but many people are arriving two or three days before.

I see some party going on in Miami before the cruise - when will it start? How to get there?

There's an unofficial pre-cruise party in Miami Beach the night before, and there will also be some people partying further north (closer to Ft. Lauderdale and our departure pier). Getting to either location will depend on where your hotel is.

Maybe some of you will be there earlier than day before? And we could meet, as I go there alone?

There will be lots of people there earlier. Just look for black t-shirts. :D

Another question - do you know where in Miami you can book cheap accomodation?

Not too many places...especially in Miami. You can use travel websites, such as hotels.com, travelocity or Hotwire to compare prices, even if you can't use them from Poland to book.

And where I can leave my belongings during the trip? (I plan to have many things I shouldn't bring to the ship).

Now THIS is an interesting question. Your hotel may let you store items there for a fee during the cruise. It would depend on how much stuff, etc.
    There is no effective limit on how much luggage you can bring onto the ship, just what you're willing to handle and move by yourself, or with the help of a porter at pier-side.

I plan to stay in US for few weeks after the trip and sightseeing - maybe someone has the same idea (or did the same last year?) and want to share best way to do this (I mean low cost holiday). Is it better to rent a car or hitchhike or what?

For that length of time you're probably better off renting a car, especially if you'll be carrying a lot of luggage with you.
You could also look into purchasing a USARail pass from Amtrak. The pass can be purchased for 15-, 30- and 45-day travel periods and it's good throughout the USA wherever Amtrak goes. There are stations in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
2021 Wishlist:
1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Blood.Red.Throne--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce
--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--
Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon
2015: Survivor
2016: Survivor
2017: Survivor
2018: Survivor
2019: Survivor
2020: Survivor
2021: SoooOOOooooooon
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 am

Hey buddy.
    Me and my fiancée are going to be there from the 29th. We're not staying at the beach as we wish to see a few sights so we're staying more central in fort lauderdale. If you're really looking for budget accommodation you could try staying in hostels. It'll basically get you a bed in a shared dorm but it'll be much cheaper than a single hotel or motel room.

My advice is go on booking.com and search for your desired dates and it'll give you many options of hotels and hostels and you can filter by price or star rating.

It's our first cruise but we have both been to the US before. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
    As I understand it most of the area will be overrun by metallers f rom 70+ country so you'll no doubt meet people in the area you are staying in
    (maybe in the same hotel /hostel)

Read through as many posts on here as you need to as it seems like most questions have been answered on most topics.

Oh and don't forget to get your US visa
    search 'ESTA US visa' for more information

Good luck and we'll see you there
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    Yippee38
    Crewman

by Yippee38 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 am

Pellaz wrote:I plan to stay in US for few weeks after the trip and sightseeing - maybe someone has the same idea (or did the same last year?) and want to share best way to do this (I mean low cost holiday). Is it better to rent a car or hitchhike or what?

For that length of time you're probably better off renting a car, especially if you'll be carrying a lot of luggage with you.
    You could also look into purchasing a USARail pass from Amtrak. The pass can be purchased for 15-, 30- and 45-day travel periods and it's good throughout the USA wherever Amtrak goes. There are stations in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Yeah. Keep in mind that the U.S. is WAY bigger than Europe. So hitchiking around the U.S. will take so long, you won't get to see much. It's also frowned upon by the police, and not very safe. It can be done, but....

The rail system in this country isn't as good as in Europe either. I suspect it's much more expensive.

Where do you want to sightsee? Just in Florida? There's lots of stuff to see there. Do you want to go to other states? That may make an impact on what transportation option you choose. I've rented a Mustang convertible from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale for a single day for under $50. I think the car was $30 before taxes. Then again, I've rented a car at the Houston, TX airport for a single day for $267. :o There are deals, and specials out there.
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 am

Daga wrote:And where I can leave my belongings during the trip? (I plan to have many things I shouldn't bring to the ship).

Umm, what are you planning on bringing that you shouldn't bring on the ship? Drugs and weapons?
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 am

Yippee38 wrote:Keep in mind that the U.S. is WAY bigger than Europe.

LOL What? You must be American :D
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:55 am

bodomdragon wrote:

:heavydrink:
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 am

bodomdragon wrote:

I am thinking what he probably meant is that things to see in the US are more spread out. There isn't as much to sightsee in a condensed area, so it is beneficial to have a car to get around easier.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:11 pm

would not recommend hitchhiking....dangerous as hell. you can take megabus for dirt cheap around at least the southeast. be safe. most americans are friendly, but like with everywhere else, there are assholes, too.
    2021: SHOW US THE DATES!
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Yippee38 wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:I plan to stay in US for few weeks after the trip and sightseeing - maybe someone has the same idea (or did the same last year?) and want to share best way to do this (I mean low cost holiday). Is it better to rent a car or hitchhike or what?

Yeah. Keep in mind that the U.S. is WAY bigger than Europe. So hitchiking around the U.S. will take so long, you won't get to see much. It's also frowned upon by the police, and not very safe. It can be done, but....

The rail system in this country isn't as good as in Europe either. I suspect it's much more expensive.

The prices I saw weren't TOO bad.... I think a 15-day rail pass allowing up to 8 travel segments was around $350-400. I've heard that prices were lower for international visitors but didn't see it mentioned on Amtrak.com.
    2021 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Blood.Red.Throne--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce
    --Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--
    Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon
    2015: Survivor
    2021: SoooOOOooooooon
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Witam, polak z Kanady sie klania.

Last time at 70000 tons, I was disappointed not having met anyone from the homeland. The closest was James, the British guy from Vader. You have a beer on me :beerbang:
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:00 pm

1st thing, I would say.
    Go at least 1 day early and spend one night in a hotel
    it is winter and I do not like too much stress in one day
    you never know about flight delays or other problems
    give your self time and once you are on the boat, enjoy!
    see you soon!!
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Daga
    Wiper

by Daga » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks guys for all of your advice and tips!

I still don't know what about journey after, but I hope plans will clarify soon.

Razor Ramon wrote:Umm, what are you planning on bringing that you shouldn't bring on the ship? Drugs and weapons?

No, just alcohol :-D

metalmaciejmetal wrote:Witam, polak z Kanady sie klania.
    Last time at 70000 tons, I was disappointed not having met anyone from the homeland. The closest was James, the British guy from Vader. You have a beer on me

So see you soon! How many times have you been on 70000 tons of metal?

Azazel101 wrote:Go at least 1 day early and spend one night in a hotel (...) you never know about flight delays or other problems

Right, I will probably be there few days earlier. Good advice, thanks.
    Thanks to all of you!
    Yippee38
    Crewman

by Yippee38 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:42 pm

bodomdragon wrote:

I'll own up to this one with extreme embarrassment. I'm one of "those Americans". <sigh>
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, in all fairness, the geographical area of the U.S. is about 9.8M km², while the whole of Europe has is 10.2M km² - and, when most people talk about Europe they more or less mean the area of the EU, which is only 4.3M km². :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Post Reply 15 posts Page 1 of 1