Post Reply 9 posts Page 1 of 1
Rum runners: checked bags vs carry on
    liser
    Petty Officer

Rum runners: checked bags vs carry on

by liser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Pretty sure I look into this every year, but I always forget what the consensus is, if there is one.
    Year one we checked our bags and they made it through. Last year we carried bags on and they were confiscated. Although year one we hid them pretty well, year 2 we just chucked them in the top of the bag.
    Any theories on which way has a higher success rate? I saw an old thread on this, but it kind of went off topic.
    Alestorm/Amon-Amarth/Arch-Enemy/Amorphis/Arkona/Blind-Guardian/Cancer-Bats/Cattle-Decapitation/Dimmu-Borgir/Dragonforce/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Equilibriumor/Fear-Factory/Finntroll/Gormathon/Hypocrisy/In-Extremo/Insomnium/Iron-Reagan/Korpiklaani/Kreator/Manowar/Mayan/Melechesh/Nashville-Pussy/Ne-Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Nightwish/Powerwolf/Rotting-Christ/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Soulfly/Stam1na/Suicidal-Tendencies/Tau-Cross/Triptykon/Turmion-Katilot/Wintersun
    Danny24601
    Crewman

Re: Rum runners: checked bags vs carry on

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm doing this for the first time, and any wisdom here would be appreciated :)
    ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 pm

I remember seeing an idea on here before, but I'm not sure if it will work. Essentially you put the rum runners in your carry on, fairly deep down, then you place a bottle or two of water on top. This way, when you bag sets of a liquid alarm, for lack of a better term, security will open the bag and see the water. You then go "whoopsie daisy, I forgot about the water", and the security guard will roll his/her eyes, possible confiscate the water, and send you on your way.
    Wishlist
    Æther-Realm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amaon-Amarth-/-Amaranthe-/-Amorphis-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Annihilator-/-Arch-Enemy-/-Arkona-/-Asenblut-/-Avantasia-/-Avartarium-/-Axxis-/-Babymetal-/-Battlecross-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Be'lakor-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodbound-/-Brendon-Small-/-Brymir-/-Cain's-Offering-/-Carach-Angren-/-Cattle-Decapitation-/-Children-Of-Bodom-/-Chthonic-/-Crimson-Shadows-/-Dalriada-/-Derdian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dying-Fetus-/-Edguy-/-Eluveitie-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evil-Scarecrow-/-Ex-Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Falconer-/-Fallujah-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Galneryus-/-Ghost-B.C.-/-Gloryhammer-/-Goatwhore-/-God-Dethroned-/-Gojira-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Iron-Savior-/-Kalmah-/-Kamelot-/-Lagerstein-/-Moonsorrow-/-Mors-Principium-Est-/-Nanowar-Of-Steel-/-Nightwish-/-Omnium-Gatherum-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Powerwolf-/-Rumahoy-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio-Mortis-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Skyfire-/-Solar-Fragment-/-Steel-Panther-/-Swashbuckle-/-Symphony-X-/-The-Dread-Crew-Of-Oddwood-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Twilight-Force-/-Týr-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Valhalore-/-Van-Canto-/-Visigoth-/-Wintersun-/-Ye-Banished-Privateers
    70k2015 Survivor - 2328
    70k2016 Survivor - 7511
    70k2017 Survivor - 6523
    Zed3
    Oiler

by Zed3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 pm

First timer here so no past experience but from what I remember reading it's better to leave them in checked luggage, they should pass x-ray screenings without showing up as obviously as a bottle would...
    2017: Survivor - 2018: Got a beautiful baby girl instead ! - 2019: ?

Wishlist 2019:
    Abbath-/-Aether.Realm-/-Audrey.Horne-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Be'lakor-/-Behemoth-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Biohazard-/-Blazon.Stone-/-Brujeria-/-Bucovina-/-Byzantine-/-Cretura-/-Dead.Asylum-/-Ensiferum-/-Exit.Eden-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Ghoultown-/-Gloryhammer-/-Gojira-/-Grand.Magus-/-Hellripper-/-Kobra.and.the.Lotus-/-Immolation-/-Iron.Walrus-/-In.Arkadia-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Loudblast-/-Lör-/-Moonspell-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-No.Return-/-Palantir-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Power.Trip-/-Powerwolf-/-Savage.Machine-/-Sick.of.it.all-/-Sorcerer-/-Svart.Crown-/-Tankard-/-Troldhaugen-/-Undrask-/-Unleash.The.Archers-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-VUUR-/-Witherscape
    Tiki108
    Oiler

by Tiki108 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:05 pm

I know you can get clear plastic flasks that you can strap to your body. I'm not a big drinker, but I know people that have carried on water bottles (my one friend did this with me last month and just put it in her purse without issue) or gatorade bottles (with food dye if needed).
    70K: 2014
    MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
    Party.San: 2015
    ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Might just be a combination of luck and the container. The one year I brought stuff I bought those plastic flasks that don't show up on xrays. Carried it right on. I know Peter and Paul just filled 2 liter bottles of soda with whiskey and they went through too.
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:13 pm

I think those rumrunners are better in checked bags,not sure what they look like on an x-ray but using the smaller versions (8 ounce) a couple of places seems better than one big one.
    My wishlist 2019 A band just one band before Christmas!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:31 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:I remember seeing an idea on here before, but I'm not sure if it will work. Essentially you put the rum runners in your carry on, fairly deep down, then you place a bottle or two of water on top. This way, when you bag sets of a liquid alarm, for lack of a better term, security will open the bag and see the water. You then go "whoopsie daisy, I forgot about the water", and the security guard will roll his/her eyes, possible confiscate the water, and send you on your way.

Last year I smuggled some rum in a flask that looked like a sunscreen bottle in my carry-on. There was no kind of liquid alarm. This year however I'm bringing one of those big clear bastards. I hear mixed testimony as to whether check-in or carry-on is better in this regard"
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am

Last year we successfully smuggled a 60 pounder of Rum and Whiskey onbroad. The rum runner flasks were spread out across two suitcases of checked luggage and everything made it through.

This year I'm going solo so I'll only have one suitcase. Gonna downsize a bit I think and just bring the smaller sized flasks (filled with Jager and Kraken). :whisky:
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    /-Abbath-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-Allegeaon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Archspire-/-Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates--Autopsy-/-Avatar-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-Be'lakor-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Fast-/-Bloodbath-/-Bölzer-/-Borknagar-/-Cancer-/-Carcass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-\-Cloak-\-Cormorant-/-Craven.Idol-/-Cut.Up-/-Cytotoxin-/-Dark.Fortress-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dawn.of.Disease-/-Daylight.Dies-/-Decapitated-/-Decrepit.Birth-/-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Desaster-/-Deströyer.666-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dismember-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-Dying.Fetus-/-Dyscarnate-/-Elder-/-Enforcer-/-Entombed-/-Entrails-/-Finntroll-/-Firespawn-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Grand.Magus-/-God.Dethroned-/-Gorguts-/-Grave-/-Gutter.Instinct-/-High.on.Fire-/-Horrendous-/-Horrified-/-Huntress-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Immolation-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Kvelertak-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Legion.of.the.Damned-/-LIK-/-Machine.Head-/-Magic.Circle-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-Memoriam-/-Mgla-/-Midnight-/-Misery.Index-/-Moonspell-/-Mors.Principium.Est-/-Morta.Skuld-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Necrot-/-Obituary-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Primordial-/-Protector-/-Replacaire-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Satan-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletonwitch-/-Skeletal.Remains-/Slayer-/-Sodom-/-Soen-/-Sulphur.Aeon-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-The.Lurking.Fear-/-Thulcandra-/-Tribulation-/-Unleashed-/-Usurpress-/-Vader-/-Vampire-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Watain-
Post Reply 9 posts Page 1 of 1