User

Adamor

Rank

Wiper

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Credit card concern

by Adamor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:58 pm

First time posting on this forum,
And let me just start with: my husband and I went on 70k for our honeymoon and can say it was the best vacation weve ever had! We will be back for sure!

On the not so fun topic, we just got back to real life yesterday and I got a call from my credit card company that there were charges made to my account that were not from me, all from online services. I would not want to jump to conclusions or think the worst of people but I only use this card to pay car insurance online but I keep it in my wallet for emergencies.

I had left my wallet in the room for most of the trip and am now worried that someone got a hold of it. just wondering if anyone else had issues. I seriously hope it was just a coincidence in timing but it was a bummer to come home to that. Again. Best trip of our lives so no complaints about that!
User

Yippee38

Rank

Crewman

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 am

Re: Credit card concern

by Yippee38 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Was it in the safe, or sitting out?

I haven't had that problem. CC charges were all legit last year. Haven't checked this year.....yet.
no avatar
User

Adamor

Rank

Wiper

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

by Adamor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Admittedly I was dumb and left it out some of the time
User

Imminance

Rank

Oiler

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Great Frozen North

by Imminance » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Did you keep your itemized receipt print out? Look through that first then make sure your CC charges match that. If it doesn't line up, call RC.
User

AceHugger

Rank

Petty Officer

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 am

London, UK

by AceHugger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:44 am

This is the whole security benefit of a Credit card.

first check that the charges are not from RC.

if they are not then you raise it as fraudulent with your provider, they should take your word for it & strike the charges (pending investigation)
They'll look into it thoroughly to ascertain how / where / why / IP addresses / delivery addresses etc were involved in the purchases.
Assuming you're not bullshitting & the roads don't lead back to you, you will be off the hook & they will recover their losses from the fraudulent individuals or companies.

My first advice though is to contact your provider & just discuss with them, tell them your concerns. - in these cases it's often just odd transaction names which lead to confusion & I'm reasonably sure you might end up realising that they were all legit transactions.

good luck.
2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .

2018.....??????
User

Tiki108

Rank

Oiler

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:33 am

Tampa, FL

by Tiki108 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

This right here is why I only use credit cards, I don't want to deal with money being tied up from my bank account, whereas I have multiple credit cards that I can easily use. Just about all credit card companies have zero fraud liability policies as well, which is good. There's a lot of ways your credit card info can be stolen: skimmers, breaches from the credit card side, breaches from vendors/merchants, etc. I wouldn't assume it was someone else on the boat or someone who works for RC, but it is possible, of course. The bulk of the time that I've had my cards compromised was when I was traveling abroad though, so if you used it in Haiti then that could also have been where the breach took place. As long as the charges aren't yours and your credit card company is taking care of it, I wouldn't worry too much. Most companies have good fraud teams and can trace the source, but it's nothing you'll need to deal with, luckily.
70K: 2014
MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
Party.San: 2015
ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016