Post Reply 2628 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2018 Megathread
  • sara
    Petty Officer

Re: It’s Time To Meet Your KREATOR!

by sara » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Batushka would be fantastic if the logistics of it could be worked out, like late night sets indoors only.

Bongripper, Benighted, Behemoth, Black Breath, Black Crown Initiate... those are my top ones. Bonded by Blood, Bio-Cancer, Between the Buried and Me, and Birdflesh are all runners up, in no particular order.

Of course, Blind Guardian was great, but I've already seen them twice now, last time was less than a year ago.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm

sara wrote: Blind Guardian was great ....

If its Blind Guardian, and one of the two sets they do is their Imaginations From The Other Side show that they are doing at the moment, I may just have to go.

Seen them a bunch of times (7 times I think), and probably seen them perform every song from IFTOS over the stretch of those seven shows, but to see my favourite band play one of my favourite albums ever in its entirety at my favourite festival?

Would literally kill me to miss that.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    sara wrote: Blind Guardian was great ....

If its Blind Guardian, and one of the two sets they do is their Imaginations From The Other Side show that they are doing at the moment, I may just have to go.

I cannot tell a lie. For all the brutalz and party thrash and goofy folk metal I want, but I LOOOVE the title track to that album. There's actually a good half of Memories of a Time to Come that I'd love to hear live. I jam it at work when I just want an uninterrupted 3 hours of awesome.

Well, I definitely wouldn't be upset if the weenies got BG. Even my "more metal than you" coworker who constantly talks grindcore loves those guys.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:45 pm

UMC still hasn't updated the website to reflect the latest addition of Kreator...

:oops:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Behemoth or Blond Guardian (typo, but it makes me smile) would be the 6th repeat from 2015, a bit heavy, I don't like repeats.
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Evican wrote:UMC still hasn't updated the website to reflect the latest addition of Kreator...

I was going to post that.
    vary odd!
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm

KREATOR has finally appeared!
    Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Bob wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:13 Babymetal

That's never gonna happen. Would love it to tho. Too big for our boat plus too polarizing.

Last.fm listeners for:

Sepultura - 852,635
    Babymetal - 95,056

Sure, Babymetal is admittedly HUGE...in Japan. Not so much elsewhere.

Even so, I agree that they are very polarizing.
    2015: Survivor: Cabin 9321
    2016: Survivor: Cabin 8455
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2018: Survivor: Cabin 1688
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2020: ABANDONED SHIP!
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Babymetal is fucking terrible. I can't believe that garbage is even spoken of on here.

2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: Landlubbers Beware!

by Pellaz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Phoenix wrote:Have y'all never had to share a bed with a friend before?

Hell, my first cruise I went back to my room so drunk I passed out on the two twins....

"...and they never even woke up!" :lol: :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm

alright 2 bands I will see ... still only 1 wish list band and I've seen them before ... so who knows this year ..................... don't get me wrong, I'm not hating the line-up, just not excited about it. It still all good - I will find enough to do to have a great time (even check out bands I don't care to see) because 70K has been the best week or 2 of the year for the last 8 years for me.

May we keep going for many more :givebeer: :dreams: :cheers: :beerhorns:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Kreator....cool. Don't think I've seen them since they toured with Destruction, sharing a bus, and their bus driver ran away.

Lots of good B bands to hope for.....Behemoth, Borknagar, Blind Guardian, Black Crown Initiate, Battlelore, Battlecross, Blue Oyster Cult.... :lol:

If Andy books any of those bands, I'm coming on 70K in 2018--

<looks at now-bereft checking account with tumbleweeds blowing around>

--Oh, wait. :D
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Pellaz wrote:Kreator....cool. Don't think I've seen them since they toured with Destruction, sharing a bus, and their bus driver ran away.

Lots of good B bands to hope for.....Behemoth, Borknagar, Blind Guardian, Black Crown Initiate, Battlelore, Battlecross, Blue Oyster Cult.... :lol:

I'd love BOC but I know they do MORC and I'm pretty sure they are a no go ..... still one of my wish list bands
    :beerhorns:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:Kreator....cool. Don't think I've seen them since they toured with Destruction, sharing a bus, and their bus driver ran away.

I'd love BOC but I know they do MORC and I'm pretty sure they are a no go ..... still one of my wish list bands

I think they're back on Rock Legends Cruise this year, which is around the same time as 70K.
    I've joked with Eric Bloom for years about 70K (I know him pretty well), and I doubt Andy could meet their guarantee.
    I'd rather have one BOC than 5 D.A.D.'s on the boat, though.
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:alright 2 bands I will see ... still only 1 wish list band and I've seen them before ... so who knows this year ..................... don't get me wrong, I'm not hating the line-up, just not excited about it. It still all good - I will find enough to do to have a great time (even check out bands I don't care to see) because 70K has been the best week or 2 of the year for the last 8 years for me.

May we keep going for many more :givebeer: :dreams: :cheers: :beerhorns:

You and several others (including Pellaz apparently) are saying what I've been saying: solid lineup, but missing the one or two exciting bands to get to what somebody called "seeing the glass half full".
    Come on Andy, give us the third headliner, if applicable.
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    DragonLordJones wrote:

I think they're back on Rock Legends Cruise this year, which is around the same time as 70K.
    I've joked with Eric Bloom for years about 70K (I know him pretty well), and I doubt Andy could meet their guarantee.

Yeah I could be confused on the cruise ... but yes would love them to do a 70k ...... have always been a fan, from the first time I heard them - way back then :lol:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    DragonLordJones wrote:

This cruise is sick with a disease... And the cure is MORE COWBELL! :mrgreen:
    VargVikernes
    Wiper

by VargVikernes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 am

FUCK YES! KREATOR!!
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: LET'S FUCKING DO THIS

2018 TOP 10 Wishlist:
    Children of Bodom-/-Sabaton-/-Be'lakor-/-Lagerstein-/-Korpiklaani-/-Sonata Arctica-/-Edguy-/-Mayhem-/-Dimmu Borgir-/-Abbath
  • headlinerluxi
    Petty Officer

by headlinerluxi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:25 am

kreator great addition

now: brainstorm :whisky: :whisky: :whisky:
    2012 survivor
    2013 survivor
    2014 survivor
    2016 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2019 !!!
    Savatage Queensryche Powerwolf Dokken Megadeth Mob Rules UDO Wasp Ripper Owens Tesla Y&T Armored Saint Testament Iced Earth Sabaton DAD Tesla Cinderella Brainstorm
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 am

The lineup so far is pretty much everything I wanted it to be. Now let's get on with my wish list bands! :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:51 am

Memnoch wrote:The lineup so far is pretty much everything I wanted it to be. Now let's get on with my wish list bands! :lol:

I approve of your wishlist! Except maybe for Sabaton :P Although I've seen them live enough already to not be too crushed if they were on broad next year :3drunks:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 am

Azazel101 wrote:
    Evican wrote:UMC still hasn't updated the website to reflect the latest addition of Kreator...

I was going to post that.
    vary odd!

Possibly a site issue :roll:

It's a bit silly given that you can literally set up WP to FB and Tweet a WP post.

Dallas, about when last year did we stop getting announcements for awhile? I'll kinda miss them, not just for the bands but also all the metal talk on here and my FB feed.
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 am

Memnoch wrote:The lineup so far is pretty much everything I wanted it to be. Now let's get on with my wish list bands! :lol:

Wishlist:
    SABATON / ARKONA / HEIDEVOLK / KILPI / SLAYER
    FOLK METAL / THRASH METAL

Arkona! But Memnoch is being facetious, haha! I personally would luv to see Arkona again, last time I missed their 2nd set.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

Evican wrote:Babymetal is fucking terrible. I can't believe that garbage is even spoken of on here.

..i have to agree. while i am of the "to each his own" mindset, it does not even sound like metal. it's more souped up pop sounding than anything else. the high pitched, post-pubescent voices are akin to someone being skinned alive. horrible.
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: FUCK COVID
    2022: FUCK COVID
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 am

Blind Guardian or Borknagar. Ayep.
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 am

spooky wrote:
    Evican wrote:Babymetal is fucking terrible. I can't believe that garbage is even spoken of on here.

..i have to agree. while i am of the "to each his own" mindset, it does not even sound like metal. it's more souped up pop sounding than anything else. the high pitched, post-pubescent voices are akin to someone being skinned alive. horrible.

Haha!

They do fall far from what many people are used to, but that's why I like them. Reminds me of all my high school friends who are still stuck in the 80s musically. I constantly hear them say, “They just don’t make rock like they used to”. They still listen to Classic Rock FM radio btw. And when I show them some of the bands playing on the boat, of course they’ve never heard of them and hate it. LOL

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:28 am

spooky wrote:

I'm no fan of Babymetal, but some songs are definitely metal.

You can hate this but you can't say it doesn't sound like metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655Viq0lIYQ
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 am

I would definitely check out Babymetal. Probably both sets.

I don't get why they're polarizing. If you don't like it, don't listen. Like the rest of us do with bands we don't like.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:50 am

cowboy71 wrote:Heavily requested Bs:

43 Blind Guardian
    35 Behemoth
    29 Borknagar
    21 Be'lakor
    20 Battle Beast
    16 Bloodbath
    13 Babymetal
    12 Battle Cross
    9 Battlelore
    8 Body Count
    7 Black Crown Initiate
    6 Batushka
    6 Belphegor
    6 Blackguard
    6 Brujeria

Wait... all these bands go more votes than Brainstorm? A few of them I get, most of them I find fairly surprising. In order of preference:

Behemoth
    Brainstorm
    Be'lakor
    Brothers of Metal
    Blind Guardian (only because I've seen them so often)
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 am

There are very few bands that AREN'T polarising when it comes to metal. Didn't we have this discussion when Stuck Mojo got booked?

I'd totally check out a Babymetal set or two. Everyone just hears "Gimme Chocolate" and assumes everything they've done is like that, where I'd actually call it one of their weaker songs. There are songs that really showcase that the girls have some serious pipes.

Do I think Andy would book them? No. At least not this year. Maybe after this year if Gyze is well accepted.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:07 am

Born of Fire
    Bonded by Blood
    Beartooth
    Bloodstrike ;)
    Black Crown Initiate
    Bullet

just to name a few :beerhorns: :givebeer:
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

Phoenix wrote:
    Do I think Andy would book them? No. At least not this year. Maybe after this year if Gyze is well accepted.

Gyze is a legit band. I don't see the parallel between Gyze and Baby metal other than Gyze having a slightly Visual Kei look to them. For those that likes their melodic death very symphonic, Gyze is your band. Highly recommended.

Regarding Baby Metal is it really polarizing anymore? I have no strong feelings one way or the other they seem like yesterdays news.

I am surprised that there never was a Japanese band on 70k. I certainly would have preferred Sigh but whatever.

While we are guessing B bands... hailing from Japan Bathtub Shitter
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:Gyze is a legit band. I don't see the parallel between Gyze and Baby metal other than Gyze having a slightly Visual Kei look to them.

Both are Japanese, which, to my knowledge, is something that 70k hasn't delved into too much. That's the parallel. And no, there's nothing wrong with them, but language barrier is a big deal for a festival that encourages an amount of band/fan interaction.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:11 am

Phoenix wrote:...for a festival that encourages an amount of band/fan interaction.

Haha!

Band/fan interaction 2017:

Alea der Bescheidene - Saltatio Mortis: A+, He was everywhere, so friendly and easy to chat up, take a selfie with, etc.
    Alissa White-Gluz - Arch Enemy: F-, I don't know, maybe she was busy.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    gorgatron
    Crewman

by gorgatron » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:While we are guessing B bands... hailing from Japan Bathtub Shitter

I would shit the bed if Bathtub Shitter were on
    2016: 2314
    2017: 6661
    2018: 2364
    2019: 7630

Abbath-/-Aborted-/-Acid.Witch-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Analepsy-/-Andrew.WK-/-At.the.Gates-/-Be'lakor-/-Beaten.to.Death-/-Belzebubs-/-Benighted-/-Cannabis.Corpse-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Charred.Walls.of.the.Damned-/-Cryptopsy-/-Darkest.Hour-/-Decrepit.Birth-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Dying.Fetus-/-Eat.the.Turnbuckle-/-Enisum-/-Enfold.Darkness-/-Exhumed-/-Feral-/-Frightmare-/-Full.of.Hell-/-Galakticon-/-Gatecreeper-/-General.Surgery-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Gutteral.Secrete-/-Haemorrhage-/-Heavy.Temple-/-Hypocrisy-/-Impaled-/-Inferi-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Lord.Gore-/-Magrudergrind-/-Midnight-/-Misery.Index-/-Municipal.Waste-/-Necrophagist-/-Noisem-/-Origin-/-Outer.Heaven-/-Party.Cannon-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Prostitute.Disfigurement-/-Repulsion-/-Skeletonwitch-/-Splatterhouse-/-Steel.Panther-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tombtoker-/-Toxic.Holocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Varg-/-Vital.Remains-/-Wake-/-Wintersun-/-Wormed-/-Wormrot-/-
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:20 am

Phoenix wrote:
    Both are Japanese, which, to my knowledge, is something that 70k hasn't delved into too much. That's the parallel. And no, there's nothing wrong with them, but language barrier is a big deal for a festival that encourages an amount of band/fan interaction.

Oh right, language barrier. Good point. I'm sure the Guyze in the band have at least a limited use of English. Enough to say "thank you" and "we are gyze" and "this next song is called..."

Two years ago the singer from Krisiun was struggling to put together a sentence so he threw in "fucking" in the middle of each sentence. (Actually that's just like Corey Taylor from Slipknot...)

Anyway, Gyze is gonna be over as fuck, I guarantee.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:24 am

Bob wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:...for a festival that encourages an amount of band/fan interaction.

Haha!

Band/fan interaction 2017:

Alea der Bescheidene - Saltatio Mortis: A+, He was everywhere, so friendly and easy to chat up, take a selfie with, etc.
    Alissa White-Gluz - Arch Enemy: F-, I don't know, maybe she was busy.

RE: Alissa White-Gluz.. It's a female thing. They hide so as not to be mobbed by fans. Simone did the same thing and then whenever she WAS around the ship, Oliver was by her side.

In saying that I frequently saw Lori Lewis (Therion) and Anette Olzon (Nightwish) around the ship. Linnea Vikstrom (Therion) was also about the ship as her Instagram suggests. I imagine Cristina Scabbia was also seen a bunch too, she doesn't seem like the type to hide in her stateroom.
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:34 am

Evican wrote:RE: Alissa White-Gluz.. It's a female thing. They hide so as not to be mobbed by fans.

That would explain Scottie Ian
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    Evican wrote:RE: Alissa White-Gluz.. It's a female thing. They hide so as not to be mobbed by fans.

I thought I saw her by the Steakhouse trying to start a PETA protest...
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 am

Bob wrote:Alissa White-Gluz - Arch Enemy: F-, I don't know, maybe she was busy.

She has social anxiety. Sometimes you can people, sometimes you can't. A friend chatted with her this year... in 2015 she had just spent a lot of time on tour and then spent 5 days trapped on a boat. She didn't have the recharge time she needed. This year, well she was able to have a great conversation with a friend of mine, and she said she was feeling much better.

Evican wrote:RE: Alissa White-Gluz.. It's a female thing.

Hang the fuck on, it's an anyone thing. ANYONE who gets mobbed by fans will do that. On a metal cruise, yeah the ladies will do it more because I'm not even famous and I'VE had a couple really uncomfortable interactions at shows. But Venom guy (Cronos?) had fans bug him while he was on the loo, and Nergal reportedly does not like being bugged when he's eating.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
Post Reply 2628 posts