User

Bob

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Question about booking rooms

by Bob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

When a group of people want to share the same room, what are your options?

1. Everyone books individually, pays an extra $100 per person booking fee, requests by name their same sex cabin mates. Hope that RC puts you all together.
2. Book the room yourself, become the Lead Passenger.

My question is about this second option. Is the Lead Passenger on the hook for the cost of the entire room? Or do the fellow passengers pay RC directly? What if one of your fellow passengers bails on you? Who is on the hook for their costs?

I’ve done option #1 and I was invited as a guest on option #2. But as a fellow passenger I paid the Lead Passenger directly. I think somebody bailed on them so they were looking for a 4th.
Wishlist 2018: Gojira-/-Tengger-Cavalry-/-Fleshgod-Apoc-/-Hanzel und Gretyl-/-InAeona-/-Babymetal-/-In this Moment-/-Burning Witches-/-Hevisaurus-/-Angelspit-/-Unleash the Archers-/-VUUR-/-Iron Maidens-/-The Heard-/-Myrkur

70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17
no avatar
User

gnoff_the_creep

Rank

Lieutenant

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Sweden

Re: Question about booking rooms

by gnoff_the_creep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am

Bob wrote:When a group of people want to share the same room, what are your options?

1. Everyone books individually, pays an extra $100 per person booking fee, requests by name their same sex cabin mates. Hope that RC puts you all together.
2. Book the room yourself, become the Lead Passenger.

My question is about this second option. Is the Lead Passenger on the hook for the cost of the entire room? Or do the fellow passengers pay RC directly? What if one of your fellow passengers bails on you? Who is on the hook for their costs?

I’ve done option #1 and I was invited as a guest on option #2. But as a fellow passenger I paid the Lead Passenger directly. I think somebody bailed on them so they were looking for a 4th.

Fairly sure the lead passenger will have to make sure the money gets there if booking the whole cabin.
PINK

http://twitter.com/rockgnoff/

http://rockgnoff.blogspot.se/
User

Amyphis

Rank

Petty Officer

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 am

Plano TX

by Amyphis » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 am

Fiorella and I are together every year. She books first as the lead passenger and names me in the notes. I then book and name her and her cabin number in the notes. Both of us pay UMC
SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
2014: 9554
2015: 2633
2016: 7320
2017: 7624
User

captaingabbeh

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Calgary, Canada

by captaingabbeh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 am

Bob wrote:
My question is about this second option. Is the Lead Passenger on the hook for the cost of the entire room? Or do the fellow passengers pay RC directly?

As I recall, the short answer is "Yes". All passengers pay RC directly, but if someone doesn't pay up, the lead passenger is on the hook for the money.

2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 BOOKED!!

Want:
NeO-Chthonic-Heidevolk-Sabaton--Powerwolf-Kreator-Finntroll-Nightwish-Myrath-Thunderstone-TheAgonist-Skindred-Satyricon-Hypocrisy-Epica-Starkill-Crossfaith-Zeal&Ardor-Meshuggah-Septicflesh-Aeternam-Demons&Wizards-3TEETH
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:15 pm

captaingabbeh wrote:
Bob wrote:
My question is about this second option. Is the Lead Passenger on the hook for the cost of the entire room? Or do the fellow passengers pay RC directly?

As I recall, the short answer is "Yes". All passengers pay RC directly, but if someone doesn't pay up, the lead passenger is on the hook for the money.

The Lead Passenger can also collect the money from his/her fellow travelers (via Paypal, etc.) and then pay UMC directly. UMC will allow some time (a few days) after booking confirmation for you to gather and send the money.
Also, if you choose to send a bank wire (as opposed to paying by credit card, which will involve foreign transaction fees), UMC will allow you to deduct the cost of the wire transfer from your payment.
2018 Wishlist:
Abbath--Aeternam--Amon.Amarth--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Dark.Tranquility--Dimmu.Borgir--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano
--Eluveitie--Emperor--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Exmortus--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Green.Carnation--Ihsahn--Korpiklaani--Immortal--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--
Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Obscura--Old.Man's.Child--Opeth--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Devin.Townsend.Project--Turisas--Tyr--Vintersorg--Yyrkoon--1349
2015: Survivor
2016: Survivor
2017: Survivor
2018: Booked (1568)
User

Bob

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

by Bob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Pellaz wrote:
The Lead Passenger can also collect the money from his/her fellow travelers (via Paypal, etc.) and then pay UMC directly. UMC will allow some time (a few days) after booking confirmation for you to gather and send the money.
Also, if you choose to send a bank wire (as opposed to paying by credit card, which will involve foreign transaction fees), UMC will allow you to deduct the cost of the wire transfer from your payment.

Good to know. Last time it cost me $45 USD to bank wire money from USA to Germany. PayPal is free for USA-2-USA PayPal accounts. Next time, even if it's an out-of-country transfer, I'll go with PayPal. I can't imagine international PayPal transfers would charge as much as my bank did.
Wishlist 2018: Gojira-/-Tengger-Cavalry-/-Fleshgod-Apoc-/-Hanzel und Gretyl-/-InAeona-/-Babymetal-/-In this Moment-/-Burning Witches-/-Hevisaurus-/-Angelspit-/-Unleash the Archers-/-VUUR-/-Iron Maidens-/-The Heard-/-Myrkur

70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 am

Bob wrote:
Pellaz wrote:

Good to know. Last time it cost me $45 USD to bank wire money from USA to Germany. PayPal is free for USA-2-USA PayPal accounts.

--When using a bank account and not a credit card, yep.

Next time, even if it's an out-of-country transfer, I'll go with PayPal. I can't imagine international PayPal transfers would charge as much as my bank did.

$45 seems to be the "normal" amount for an international bank wire; it's how much BofA charged me to send our payment to UMC last year (to Canada). Annoying, but at least UMC lets you deduct it from your total payment.
They might not let people deduct the fee from their monthly installment payments, though, as that would start adding up. We paid it all up front to get the 5% discount, so it wasn't an issue.
2018 Wishlist:
Abbath--Aeternam--Amon.Amarth--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Dark.Tranquility--Dimmu.Borgir--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano
--Eluveitie--Emperor--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Exmortus--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Green.Carnation--Ihsahn--Korpiklaani--Immortal--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--
Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Obscura--Old.Man's.Child--Opeth--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Devin.Townsend.Project--Turisas--Tyr--Vintersorg--Yyrkoon--1349
2015: Survivor
2016: Survivor
2017: Survivor
2018: Booked (1568)