Post Reply 22 posts Page 1 of 1
Headliners?
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

Headliners?

by General Zod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 am

What is everyone's thoughts on where we stand with respect to headliners. Do we have any or all of them yet? Based on Last.fm, last year's headliners in order of "listeners":

Anthrax: 834K
    Arch Enemy: 622K
    Kamelot: 421K
    Gojira: 368K

This year's announced bands:

Sepultura: 852K
    Sonata Arctica: 611K
    Dark Tranquillity: 433K
    Meshuggah: 413K
    Cannibal Cirpse: 400K
    Korpiklaani: 399K
    Rhapsody: 331K
    In Extremo: 269K
    Primal Fear: 203K
    Enslaved: 178K

Sepultura's 852K has to be taken with a grain of salt, as they're clearly not the same attraction without the Cavalera brothers.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

Re: Headliners?

by Downvod » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:46 am

General Zod wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on where we stand with respect to headliners. Do we have any or all of them yet? Based on Last.fm, last year's headliners in order of "listeners":

Sepultura's 852K has to be taken with a grain of salt, as they're clearly not the same attraction without the Cavalera brothers.

It seems like the first announcement always gets a headline length set, so I have money on Meshuggah. Testament has 511k and did not get a headline slot, but maybe that's because they already had Anthrax.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:47 am

In my honest opinion we don't have any real headlining material so far.

Sepultura was cool twenty years ago, but they aren't nearly as big as they used to be.
    Same goes for Sonata Arctica although for different reasons.

The closest we have to a headliner might be Dark Tranquillity.
    Rhapsody might also get headliner status just because :ugeek:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:56 am

Top 6 last year
    Testament:511k
    Amorphis :412k
    Therion :370k
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:37 am

Sepultura might be the most recognizable name if you surveyed a Metallica show but that doesn't necessarily mean they are over with the 70K crowd. They will be getting a decent slot though much like Testament last year.

My prediction would be Rhapsody just because of the significance of their first "farewell" tour. If I had to predict a second I would say Meshuggah.

Who do you predict will be getting the bogus early morning or graveyard shifts? I'm calling Goatwhore will be playing on the pool deck at around 4 am on day 3. Gyze will be getting a 10 am deal in day 2 or 4.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Downvod wrote:It seems like the first announcement always gets a headline length set

Yes, and it also looks like in the past 3 years all headliners were announced in the first 20.
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Godflesh wrote:
    Downvod wrote:It seems like the first announcement always gets a headline length set

Yes, and it also looks like in the past 3 years all headliners were announced in the first 20.

If memory serves right Venom were announced pretty late and still headlined in 2015.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • MaidenNewJersey
    Wiper

by MaidenNewJersey » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:18 pm

General Zod wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on where we stand with respect to headliners. Do we have any or all of them yet? Based on Last.fm, last year's headliners in order of "listeners":

you should use Spotify instead, since, you know, people use it and all. Last.fm :lol:
    2017 - 8368

CDs/LPs for sale: www.discogs.com/seller/NotOneStraw/profile
    Instagram: not.one.straw
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Mark wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:

If memory serves right Venom were announced pretty late and still headlined in 2015.

Good memory, they were about 34th.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Sepultura had a 1 hour set on Barge to Hell though I remember at least the pool deck show was packed. They seemed to be huge with the ship's crew. Will have to see how the rest of the lineup shakes out but for now I'd say Sepultura and Meshuggah.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:28 pm

MaidenNewJersey wrote:

you should use Spotify instead, since, you know, people use it and all. Last.fm :lol:

I posted Spotify numbers a couple years back, and was told the exact reverse argument.

Here are some Spotify number for last year and this year:
    Anthrax 608248
    Gojira 552532
    Arch Enemy 446806
    Testament 415909
    Kamelot 197894
    Amorphis 171783
    Therion 82540

Sepultura 544141
    Sonata Arctica 306335
    Meshuggah 260311
    Dark Tranquility 249469
    Cannibal Corpse 191864
    Rhapsody 140996
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I think we can safely add Sabaton to the list of headliners.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm

acidbasement wrote:I think we can safely add Sabaton to the list of headliners.

That's what I'm thinking.

The last.fm listener count for Sabaton is: 369,189. Honestly surprised, I would have thought their number would be higher than that.
    2015: Survivor: Cabin 9321
    2016: Survivor: Cabin 8455
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2018: Survivor: Cabin 1688
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2020: ABANDONED SHIP!
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Shadow Son wrote:

That's what I'm thinking.

The last.fm listener count for Sabaton is: 369,189. Honestly surprised, I would have thought their number would be higher than that.

Over 930,000 on Spotify, around double what it was a year ago IIRC.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:50 pm

They had 60 minutes back in 2013 but looking at listener numbers they are probably the biggest band so far.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:52 pm

I would personally think that Meshuggah, Sabaton, and Kreator make sense. The first band announced has always been a headliner if I am not mistaken?

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Downvod wrote:

I would personally think that Meshuggah, Sabaton, and Kreator make sense. The first band announced has always been a headliner if I am not mistaken?

That is my understanding as well.

This would actually be a pretty good mix of genres for headliners too, if that's the case. Very few bands could get announced that would offset any of these three.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm

My guess is Meshuggah, Sabaton and Sepultura. Sure, Sepultura is no where near as big as they used to be, but the same could be said for Anthrax, and they headlined this year.
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Shadow Son wrote:My guess is Meshuggah, Sabaton and Sepultura. Sure, Sepultura is no where near as big as they used to be, but the same could be said for Anthrax, and they headlined this year.

The major difference is that Anthrax has 4/5 of its original lineup and has had 2 reunion/comeback albums that have been very hyped and well received. If Sepultura did a reunion with the Cavalera's, it would absolutely be huge.. however, the fan base that cares about anything Sepultura has put out since 1996, or with this lineup, is pretty limited.

Also, they didn't get 75 minutes on the Barge to Hell, and that was all extreme underground bands on that lineup.

Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Downvod wrote:
    Shadow Son wrote:My guess is Meshuggah, Sabaton and Sepultura. Sure, Sepultura is no where near as big as they used to be, but the same could be said for Anthrax, and they headlined this year.

The major difference is that Anthrax has 4/5 of its original lineup and has had 2 reunion/comeback albums that have been very hyped and well received. If Sepultura did a reunion with the Cavalera's, it would absolutely be huge.. however, the fan base that cares about anything Sepultura has put out since 1996, or with this lineup, is pretty limited.

Also, they didn't get 75 minutes on the Barge to Hell, and that was all extreme underground bands on that lineup.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Also, who were the headliners on Barge to Hell?
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Shadow Son wrote:
    Downvod wrote:

Fair enough, that makes sense. Also, who were the headliners on Barge to Hell?

At the Gates and Behemoth both got 75 min

bernabeit
    Petty Officer

by bernabeit » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm

I reckon its definitely Meshuggah, Kreator and Sabaton and I don't really like Meshuggah and Sabaton, just think they are the biggest bands.
    Wishlist: Hypocrisy Be’lakor Necrot Borknagar Blood Red Throne Earth Rot Decapitated Gatecreeper Jungle Rot Sylosis Wolfheart Within Temptation Wintersun Battelore
Post Reply 22 posts Page 1 of 1