Rank

Crewman

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Virginia, USA

Boat Renovation!

by SpaceSlug » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:40 pm

All

Hopefully this isn't old news...

Independence of the Seas is getting a facelift in April 2018.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7943

This sounds awesome but I hope it doesn't screw up the pool deck and/or make us switch boats. It could be good. It could be bad.

We'll see how it goes.
User

Downvod

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:09 am

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

Re: Boat Renovation!

by Downvod » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:13 pm

SpaceSlug wrote:All

Hopefully this isn't old news...

Independence of the Seas is getting a facelift in April 2018.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7943

This sounds awesome but I hope it doesn't screw up the pool deck and/or make us switch boats. It could be good. It could be bad.

We'll see how it goes.

Have to wonder if this has anything to do with the recent inactivity lately. Skipper may be busy making other arrangements for 2019.
70k 2016: Cabin 7279
70k 2017: Cabin 6361
70k 2018: Cabin 1704

Abbath-/-Accept-/-Aetherian-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-Be'Lakor-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-The.Black.Dahlia.Murder-/-Black.Fast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Borknagar-/-Brymir-/-Dark.Angel-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Decapitated-/-Devin.Townsend.Project-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Eluveitie-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-/-Exmortus-/-Exodus-/-The.Faceless-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Fragments.of.Unbecoming-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Hypocrisy-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Kataklysm-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Korpiklaani-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Mastodon-/-Machine.Head-/-Meshuggah-/-Necrophagist-/-Nekrogoblikon-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nevermore.(reunion)-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Seducer's.Embrace-/-Sodom-/-Soilwork-/-Solution.45-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-Symphony.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Tiamat-/-Tyr-/-Undrask-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Winterhymn-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart
no avatar
User

deathmetalpat

Rank

Midshipman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Maryland,USA

by deathmetalpat » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Somebody posted that a while ago on here or Facebook,it has been planned out for a while.These renovations are done with a quick turnaround,sometimes the ship has to sail across the sea the 10 days before.These are cool cruises if you ever just want to spend time on a ship without ports and then visit the port on the other end.This has no effect on this year's cruise and the stuff they mess with isn't the main pool area as much sports deck.
My wishlist 2018 -All the bands in 70k rotation that I don't care about.
2012-14 Survivor
2015-16 Abandoned Ship
2017 Returned
2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
User

mbob

Rank

Petty Officer

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Montgomery, Texas

by mbob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Hopefully they will do what they did on Liberty of the Seas during it's renovation last year...they cut those big annoying orange columns down to about 6' tall!

2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
2016 - Survivor (2292)
2017 - Survivor (9618)
2018 - 9678!

Please...Accept-|-Alestorm-|-Amon.Amarth-|-Ancient.Bards-|-Apocalyptica-|-Arkona-|-Astral.Doors-|-Atlas.Pain-|-Avantasia-|-Behemoth-|-Blind.Guardian-|-Borknagar-|-Brymir-|-Cain's.Offering-|-Children.of.Bodom-|-Civil.War-|-Crimfall-|-Delain-|-Demons.and.Wizards-|-DragonForce-|-Dragonland-|-Dragony-|-Doro-|-Edguy-|-Eluveitie-|-Ensiferum-|-Epica-|-Ex.Deo-|-Exodus-|-Falconer-|-Firewind-|-Freedom.Call-|-GammaRay-|-Gloryhammer-|-Hammerfall-|-Heathen.Foray-|-Helloween-|-Helstar-|-Holy.Grail-|-Iced.Earth-|-In.Flames-|-In.Extremo-|-Korpiklaani-|-Lacuna.Coil-|-Lizzy.Borden-|-Manowar-|-Metal.Church-|-Nightwish-|-Nothgard-|-Powerwolf-|-Pretty.Maids-|-Primal.Fear-|-Rage-|-Refuge-|-Rhaposody-|-Running.Wild-|-Sabaton-|-Savatage-|-Saxon-|-Serious.Black-|-Sonata.Arctica-|-Stratovarius-|-Svbway.To.Sally-|-Turisas-|-Twilight.Force-|-Tyr-|-U.D.O.-|-Unisonic-|-Van.Canto-|-Venom-|-Wintersun
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 am

mbob wrote:Hopefully they will do what they did on Liberty of the Seas during it's renovation last year...they cut those big annoying orange columns down to about 6' tall!

That would be AWESOME....and it's not as if 70K wouldn't be an incentive for them to do the same thing to the Indy.

BTW, that pic of the pool deck shows exactly how much work goes into converting the deck to our outdoor concert venue. It's a lot more work than I'd thought.

Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:
2018 Wishlist:
Abbath--Aeternam--Amon.Amarth--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Dark.Tranquility--Dimmu.Borgir--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano
--Eluveitie--Emperor--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Exmortus--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Green.Carnation--Ihsahn--Korpiklaani--Immortal--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--
Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Obscura--Old.Man's.Child--Opeth--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Devin.Townsend.Project--Turisas--Tyr--Vintersorg--Yyrkoon--1349
2015: Survivor
2016: Survivor
2017: Survivor
2018: Booked (1568)
no avatar
User

deathmetalpat

Rank

Midshipman

Maryland,USA

by deathmetalpat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:22 am

Pellaz wrote:
That would be AWESOME....and it's not as if 70K wouldn't be an incentive for them to do the same thing to the Indy.

BTW, that pic of the pool deck shows exactly how much work goes into converting the deck to our outdoor concert venue. It's a lot more work than I'd thought.

Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:

The cruise lines are working with the fact that music cruises are popular and the wave of the future.Getting rid of obstacles and needless decorations,or at least making them removable.It is going to be interesting to see the recovery from the storm ,opening the port is one thing,the logistics of future cruises is another.Such a chain reaction,might even use the ships as temporary FEMA camps or something.
2012-14 Survivor
2015-16 Abandoned Ship
2017 Returned
User

mbob

Rank

Petty Officer

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Montgomery, Texas

by mbob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am

Pellaz wrote:Speaking of Liberty, the people on that ship during Hurricane Harvey are about to get a 14-day cruise for the price of a 7-day. She had to divert to Miami since the Port of Galveston remains closed for the week. :shock:

There are also 3 Carnival ships waiting to get in. They have gone to New Orleans in the mean time. There are people who say they are "stranded" on the ships and feel they should be compensated. They are welcome to get off in New Orleans and find their own way home. There are always those looking for a quick buck, complaining about being inconvenienced.

Let me tell you, I am just north of the Houston area. Been stuck in my house for 4 days straight. Luckily we are at a high elevation therefore we are dry and have plenty of food, water and beer. However, there is flooding all around us and you want to complain about being stuck on a cruise ship?
2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
2016 - Survivor (2292)
2017 - Survivor (9618)
2018 - 9678!

Please...Accept-|-Alestorm-|-Amon.Amarth-|-Ancient.Bards-|-Apocalyptica-|-Arkona-|-Astral.Doors-|-Atlas.Pain-|-Avantasia-|-Behemoth-|-Blind.Guardian-|-Borknagar-|-Brymir-|-Cain's.Offering-|-Children.of.Bodom-|-Civil.War-|-Crimfall-|-Delain-|-Demons.and.Wizards-|-DragonForce-|-Dragonland-|-Dragony-|-Doro-|-Edguy-|-Eluveitie-|-Ensiferum-|-Epica-|-Ex.Deo-|-Exodus-|-Falconer-|-Firewind-|-Freedom.Call-|-GammaRay-|-Gloryhammer-|-Hammerfall-|-Heathen.Foray-|-Helloween-|-Helstar-|-Holy.Grail-|-Iced.Earth-|-In.Flames-|-In.Extremo-|-Korpiklaani-|-Lacuna.Coil-|-Lizzy.Borden-|-Manowar-|-Metal.Church-|-Nightwish-|-Nothgard-|-Powerwolf-|-Pretty.Maids-|-Primal.Fear-|-Rage-|-Refuge-|-Rhaposody-|-Running.Wild-|-Sabaton-|-Savatage-|-Saxon-|-Serious.Black-|-Sonata.Arctica-|-Stratovarius-|-Svbway.To.Sally-|-Turisas-|-Twilight.Force-|-Tyr-|-U.D.O.-|-Unisonic-|-Van.Canto-|-Venom-|-Wintersun
no avatar
User

deathmetalpat

Rank

Midshipman

Maryland,USA

by deathmetalpat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am

Galveston has to be wiped out ,if they park cars there they are swamped and useless.People have become such victim-culture safe space huggers that any adversity sends them into a tailspin,somewhere some American Princess is upset that her cruise ship honeymoon has been canceled.
2012-14 Survivor
2015-16 Abandoned Ship
2017 Returned
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:Galveston has to be wiped out ,if they park cars there they are swamped and useless.

No, actually the Port of Galveston has been reporting that the parking garages at the port have not been flooded and passengers' cars are okay...but the access roads to get there ARE flooded.

People have become such victim-culture safe space huggers that any adversity sends them into a tailspin,somewhere some American Princess is upset that her cruise ship honeymoon has been canceled.

Quite a few people are undoubtedly upset or disappointed, and who can blame them? But this is what trip insurance is for.

Carnival appears to have handled the situation better than Royal has...a bit of a surprise for the cruise-line often called the "Wal-Mart" of the cruise industry.
2018 Wishlist:
Abbath--Aeternam--Amon.Amarth--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Dark.Tranquility--Dimmu.Borgir--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano
--Eluveitie--Emperor--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Exmortus--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Green.Carnation--Ihsahn--Korpiklaani--Immortal--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--
Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Obscura--Old.Man's.Child--Opeth--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Devin.Townsend.Project--Turisas--Tyr--Vintersorg--Yyrkoon--1349
User

Bob

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

by Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 am

Pellaz wrote:...But this is what trip insurance is for.

I'm a firm believer in travel insurance. 2016 I ended up paying my own way home from Jamaica when my gallbladder exploded Saturday morning.

Here are the details of coverage and cost of my travel insurance from 2017.

Travelex Insurance Services (http://www.travelexinsurance.com/)
Total Policy Cost: $87.00
Insured Trip Cost: $1,500.00

Plan Benefits / Maximum Benefit Amount Per Person
Trip Cancellation 100% of Insured Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of Insured Trip Cost
Trip Delay / Missed Cruise Connection $750
Baggage/Personal Effects $1,000
Baggage Delay $250
Emergency Medical & Dental Expense $50,000
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation $500,000
24 Hour AD&D $25,000
Travel Assistance* Included
Wishlist 2018: Gojira-/-Tengger-Cavalry-/-Fleshgod-Apoc-/-Hanzel und Gretyl-/-InAeona-/-Babymetal-/-In this Moment-/-Burning Witches-/-Hevisaurus-/-Angelspit-/-Unleash the Archers-/-VUUR-/-Iron Maidens-/-The Heard-/-Myrkur

70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Bob wrote:
Pellaz wrote:...But this is what trip insurance is for.

I'm a firm believer in travel insurance. 2016 I ended up paying my own way home from Jamaica when my gallbladder exploded Saturday morning.

:shock:

Here are the details of coverage and cost of my travel insurance from 2017.

Travelex Insurance Services (http://www.travelexinsurance.com/)

Probably THE best place to get travel and trip insurance is http://www.insuremytrip.com -- it's easy to compare plans and policies to get what you want. Unfortunately it's too late now for most of us to get "cancel for any reason" insurance since it usually has to be booked within 2 or 3 weeks of initial payment, but any coverage -- especially for medical evac, which could bankrupt you -- is better than none.

24-hour AD&D

Whew, I love gaming and playing AD&D*, but that might be a bit much. :lol: :lol:

------
* although I prefer Traveller. Slough Feg for the boat!
2018 Wishlist:
no avatar
User

Mark

Rank

Petty Officer

Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 am

Karlsruhe/Germany

by Mark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:09 am

Bob wrote:
Pellaz wrote:[...]
Baggage Delay $250
24 Hour AD&D $25,000

Wow, those numbers are...sick.
When it comes to stuff like that I'm always more than happy that I'm not living in the USA :shock:
Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
User

Bob

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 am

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

by Bob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 am

I get the insurance mostly for emergency medical or evacuation. The trip cancellation costs are minimal compared to medical expenses incurred in a foreign country. Take lots of credit. One lady in the hospital with me was being asked for $15K USD for additional tests. I’ve heard horror stories about people being stuck in Mexico where the hospital was demanding $20K USD before they would allow them to leave.
Wishlist 2018: Gojira-/-Tengger-Cavalry-/-Fleshgod-Apoc-/-Hanzel und Gretyl-/-InAeona-/-Babymetal-/-In this Moment-/-Burning Witches-/-Hevisaurus-/-Angelspit-/-Unleash the Archers-/-VUUR-/-Iron Maidens-/-The Heard-/-Myrkur

70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17
no avatar
User

deathmetalpat

Rank

Midshipman

Maryland,USA

by deathmetalpat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 am

Bob wrote: I’ve heard horror stories about people being stuck in Mexico where the hospital was demanding $20K USD before they would allow them to leave.

A girl from where I grew up was basically a vegetable and a hospital in Mexico still wanted $8,000 for the body. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 15407.html Total insanity,don't expect any compassion from tourist places or anything from countries on the lower economic scale.My dad was in Canada a few years ago and had a minor medical problem,he wanted to pay but the doctor said there was no charge.The worst the country the more you pay.
2012-14 Survivor
2015-16 Abandoned Ship
2017 Returned
User

Pellaz

Rank

Ensign

Georgia, USA

by Pellaz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Mark wrote:
Baggage Delay $250
24 Hour AD&D $25,000

Wow, those numbers are...sick.
When it comes to stuff like that I'm always more than happy that I'm not living in the USA :shock:

The $50,000 and $500,000 figures are the really critical ones. As others have posted, medical evacuation by helicopter can be extremely expensive, and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- government-run medical systems like in Europe won't pay those either. Judging from posts on CruiseCritic, helicopter evacs happen at least once or twice a week. :shock:
2018 Wishlist: