Post Reply 58 posts
The Officially Unofficial Grand Turk topic
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

Re: The Officially Unofficial Grand Turk topic

by Phoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am

Heeeere's a weird question, Pellaz. Are there any lockers or anything of the sort on shore? I'm debating just wearing a swimsuit off the boat, but then I'd need some sort of place to store my camera and monopoly money when I'm in the water. Since American currency isn't waterproof like the Canuck Bucks.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Mr. HCI
    Crewman

by Mr. HCI » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am

Phoenix wrote:Heeeere's a weird question, Pellaz. Are there any lockers or anything of the sort on shore? I'm debating just wearing a swimsuit off the boat, but then I'd need some sort of place to store my camera and monopoly money when I'm in the water. Since American currency isn't waterproof like the Canuck Bucks.

Not true. It's waterproof enough. I've swum with our increasingly - cheap money in my pocket quite often.

The camera is a different issue, though. I'd be interested to know an answer as well.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Phoenix wrote:Heeeere's a weird question, Pellaz. Are there any lockers or anything of the sort on shore? I'm debating just wearing a swimsuit off the boat, but then I'd need some sort of place to store my camera and monopoly money when I'm in the water.

I didn't remember seeing them, but according to a Q&A on TripAdvisor there are lockers available for rent near the bathrooms. The bathrooms are in the port's "entry plaza" after you exit the pier and then the DuFry shop.

TBH, you might not need to get a locker. On CruiseCritic, reports of stolen stuff (from loungers by the beach) at Grand Turk are quite rare; I think I remember maybe one such report, in the 7 years I've been on there.
    Unlike, say, Ocho Rios, there aren't a lot of locals "hanging around" looking for chances to get money from you. The island's population is only around 4,000 and the last thing ANY resident wants there is any perception of a crime problem, especially now while they're recovering from a hurricane: if cruise ships quit coming there, then their tourism-based economy dries up.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Thanks! Information like this is always good to have regardless.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

The lockers in Labadee were pretty useful if you were going to ride a jet ski.

I will bring a drawstring bag to Cockburn Town to carry my Bluetooth speaker and maybe a Smashball set
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I want a beach volleyball game. Make it happen
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Phoenix wrote:Heeeere's a weird question, Pellaz. Are there any lockers or anything of the sort on shore? I'm debating just wearing a swimsuit off the boat, but then I'd need some sort of place to store my camera and monopoly money when I'm in the water. Since American currency isn't waterproof like the Canuck Bucks.

Ha! Your money really does feel like plastic, but we put ours thru the wash all the damn time, new bills last longer as they're not as beat up.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

sara wrote:

Ha! Your money really does feel like plastic, but we put ours thru the wash all the damn time, new bills last longer as they're not as beat up.

Well... our money IS made of polymer, which is plastic :P

But fair enough. My only real experience is with bills from when I used to visit my American ex on a regular basis... 4 years ago now? All I remember is that it was really flimsy, wrinkly, and coloured like monopoly money.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm kind of interested in going to Gibbs Cay to play with the stingrays. It looks really surreal on google image search. They apparently just swim up to you for cuddles.

I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 pm

sara wrote:It looks gorgeous. I see the Margaritaville has a swim-up bar, that's cool.

I AM SO IN FOR THIS.

:shots:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 am

For those who are interested in either scuba and/or snorkel trips.

Back on the 2013 cruise a bunch of us booked these guys - Grand Turk Diving:
    http://gtdiving.com/index.html

All of us walked away impressed with the service provided.
    If you're interested give them a shout.

You can't go wrong with either Oasis Divers, Blue Water Divers or Grand Turk Divers.
    All three are reputable dive shops that are located within walking distance of each other :cheers:
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm

alex_canada wrote:I want a beach volleyball game. Make it happen

Playin' with the boys!
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:18 am

torpedo20 wrote:For those who are interested in either scuba and/or snorkel trips.

Back on the 2013 cruise a bunch of us booked these guys - Grand Turk Diving:
    http://gtdiving.com/index.html

All of us walked away impressed with the service provided.
    If you're interested give them a shout.

You can't go wrong with either Oasis Divers, Blue Water Divers or Grand Turk Divers.
    All three are reputable dive shops that are located within walking distance of each other :cheers:

Yes, I've done the snuba there through Oasis Divers twice and they've been great. It's basically been a family operation for us, with our divemaster, and his son as the safety diver. The ship excursions are probably done through Oasis unless Royal uses a different provider than Carnival.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Got some updated info and clarifications about Grand Turk thanks to that sometime-hellhole, CruiseCranky-- err, CruiseCritic. :D

MOST of the beach loungers to the left of the cruise terminal and by Margaritaville are free, and all of the loungers by the pool are free. These are marked "GTCC" and if someone tells you you need to pay for them, tell them politely (or impolitely) to kindly fuck off.

About two rows of loungers closest to the water on the left side of the pier (by M'Ville) are sold by locals, at $20/two (or so). You can talk them down.

If you want to get out and explore the island by golf cart, the best bet right now seems to be via Grand Turk Adventures, who have the best record right now of not cancelling out on reservations. If you haven't made advance reservations, all of the rental places (there's also MaxCarts and Wet Money) are located just outside the Cruise Center gates on the "main road" (it's not very big or busy :D ). There should also be scooters and cars to rent.

I've received no word back yet from the Margaritaville folks as to whether they'll be expecting us. I'll try emailing them later today for an update. I'd rather hear metal there than their usual annoying party-deejay playing rap and hip-hop. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Ive received no word back yet from the Margaritaville folks as to whether they'll be expecting us. I'll try emailing them later today for an update. I'd rather hear metal there than their usual annoying party-deejay playing rap and hip-hop. :shock:

Well in 2014 the DJ was playing Slayer-South Side of Heaven and then

Bastard sons beget your cunting daughters,
    Promiscuous mothers with your incestuous fathers.

happened and he stopped the record there and wouldn’t play any more requests.
    There are other people besides the cruisers there ,a couple kids.
    Remember this is a super Christian country and Metal is blasphemous.There want your money that is all.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 pm

deathmetalpat wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:
    Ive received no word back yet from the Margaritaville folks as to whether they'll be expecting us. I'll try emailing them later today for an update. I'd rather hear metal there than their usual annoying party-deejay playing rap and hip-hop. :shock:

Well in 2014 the DJ was playing Slayer-South Side of Heaven and then

Bastard sons beget your cunting daughters,
    Promiscuous mothers with your incestuous fathers.

happened and he stopped the record there and wouldn’t play any more requests.
    There are other people besides the cruisers there ,a couple kids.
    Remember this is a super Christian country and Metal is blasphemous.There want your money that is all.

And if that's the reason why they'd be leery of playing metal or metal requests, then I'd be disappointed, but I'd respect it.
    2025 Wishlist:
  • yardleybates
    Oiler

by yardleybates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Yippee38 wrote:We're considering doing some scuba while there, as it's supposed to be one of the best places in the world to dive. However, we'd have to seriously limit out alcohol the day before,

O the horror :lol:

so we probably will just snorkel.

If you DO decide to do scuba, I can recommend Oasis Divers on Grand Turk. I've used them twice (via ship excursions) for snuba there and they've been really good.

As it turns out, we didn't have time to get current and it's been a long time since our last dive, so we opted for snorkeling with the sting rays and MESHUGGAH.
    2020 Wishlist Amorphis / Demons & Wizards / Gojira / Nightmare
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm

yardleybates wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:
    Yippee38 wrote:We're considering doing some scuba while there, as it's supposed to be one of the best places in the world to dive. However, we'd have to seriously limit out alcohol the day before,

O the horror :lol:

so we probably will just snorkel.

If you DO decide to do scuba, I can recommend Oasis Divers on Grand Turk. I've used them twice (via ship excursions) for snuba there and they've been really good.

As it turns out, we didn't have time to get current and it's been a long time since our last dive, so we opted for snorkeling with the sting rays and MESHUGGAH.

Cool! I'm surprised there was still space on it, last time I checked.
    2025 Wishlist: