Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1
Bands too big for the boat.
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

Bands too big for the boat.

by Bob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:38 pm

This might have been discussed before, but what bands do you think are too big to even consider doing 70K? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see any of these onboard, some have their own cruises, for example KISS and MegaDeth. But you should never say never cause I would never imagined that Anthrax would ever have been on the boat.

My list:
    Rammstein
    Metallica
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Judas Priest
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Bands too big for the boat.

by mbob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Amon Amarth...apparently!
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:45 pm

mbob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:07 pm -|-Belzebubs-|-
    Haha!
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • Ti7aNiC
    Crewman

by Ti7aNiC » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:40 pm

I don't believe any band is "too big" for the boat. I think the uniqueness and special atmosphere this cruise provides is actually additional incentive for bands we consider "too popular" to play it one day. We're coming up on Round X; 70k can no longer be considered just a novelty festival, it's the real deal and here to stay.

I do, however, believe bands like Rammstein will never play a cruise because their stage production is what makes their live shows so spectacular, and there simply isn't room for that kind of thing on the boat. One other issue that might cause a band to avoid the boat would be social anxiety or simply not wanting to be around the fans. Otherwise they'd have to pull an Alissa White-Gluz and hide in their cabin the majority of the time, which would suck for them.

I hold out belief that Priest will headline 70k one day.
    Survivor:
    70K 2016, 70K 2017, 70K 2018, 70K 2019, & 70K 2020
    70K 2023?

C A P E   B R E T O N
    C A N A D A

#fuckNewguyme
    Starling
    Oiler

by Starling » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm

There are some that are obvious (Iron Maiden, Metallica, guess Megadave will never be doing it, etc.). But there are some that seem like they'd be a great fit, but are on the cusp of being too big or at least too expensive. I'd say Amon Amarth and Behemoth are now on that level. (I'm absolutely the furthest thing from an expert on this, though.) (But goddamn, I would love to see Behemoth on the boat.) Tool. A bunch of shit bands like Disturbed and Slipknot (I'm not crying about these). Ghost.
    2017 Survivor (Cabin 7211)
    2018 Survivor (Cabin 8359)
    2019 Booked (Cabin 9689)
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Nightwish..
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    praey
    Oiler

by praey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Honestly, those bands are so big I'm not sure I'd want any of them onboard. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd put on a great show, but they have such large and devote fanbases that once public booking opened, you'd have a massive horde of them scrambling to get onboard for that band alone. You'd basically have a boat full of Gold and Silver survivors joined by Metallica fans who care about that band and virtually nothing else.

Likewise, after years of going to shows I've come to the conclusion that the more popular the band, the shittier their fanbase. I went and saw Metallica a couple years back and most of the people at that show were not the type I'd want to share a boat with. I'm perfectly content with 70K not booking anything bigger than Amon Amarth/Behemoth level bands.

More on topic, I'd say Ghost and Mastodon are probably too big at this point. Then again I would have thought Anthrax was too big as well, so who knows.
    Last edited by praey on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Survivor 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
  • Fulorian
    Crewman

by Fulorian » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 pm

Megadeth (also, they have their own boat)
    Opeth (are they really still metal anyhow?)
    Slayer (theoretically soon to be defunct)
    Black Sabbath (also now defunct)
    Dream Theater (evidently, any given member playing solo is now a festival headliner in the USA)
    Survivor - 16 / 17 / 18 / 19
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 am

I agree with Bob. Also Slikpnot are too "big" imo.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 am

I feel two of the big 4 still too big !!!

Megadeth
    Metallica
    jodionline
    Ensign

by jodionline » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 am

metalforever wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:40 am I feel two of the big 4 still too big !!!

Megadeth
    Metallica
    Megadeth maybe, but as some have written they do their own cruise. And to me it's a very interesting cruise.
    Metal is forever! Peace for all - Fuck fanatics.

Please bring Undertow on board.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/5G5rYHx6E4MxdYHE3TG8Xn

Survivor: 2013, 2014, 2016
    CaughtInAWeb
    Oiler

by CaughtInAWeb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 am

Fulorian wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 pm Dream Theater (evidently, any given member playing solo is now a festival headliner in the USA)
    I agreee with Fulorian. Sadly, Dream Theater is too big for 70k, although I wouldn't discard individual members like Portnoy and Rudess. They already played Cruise to the Edge.
    2016: 8231
    2017: 9263
    2018: 9323
    2019: 2313
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:37 am

jodionline wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 am I agree with Bob. Also Slikpnot are too "big" imo.
    Yeah and Slipknot show was the worst crowd I've ever been in except Cannibal Corpse. Ugh.
  • Donutsauce
    Crewman

by Donutsauce » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 am

Not meaning to thread jack, but related: What's the biggest band that's been on so far?
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:57 am

Donutsauce wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 am Not meaning to thread jack, but related: What's the biggest band that's been on so far?
    Probably Anthrax
  • Donutsauce
    Crewman

by Donutsauce » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 pm

AstridDragon wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:57 am
    Donutsauce wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 am Not meaning to thread jack, but related: What's the biggest band that's been on so far?
    Probably Anthrax
    Oh. Right.
    Maybe top 3 would be a more interesting question.
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Donutsauce wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 pm
    Probably Anthrax
    Oh. Right.
    Maybe top 3 would be a more interesting question.
    You could argue the top 3, but it would possibly be (in alphabetical order):

Amon Amarth
    Anthrax
    Nightwish

with Sabaton, Helloween, Accept, Meshuggah, Venom & Michael Schenker in the mix.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Fulorian wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 pm ...
    Opeth (are they really still metal anyhow?)
    Even with the current direction, Opeth are still more metal than cyHra.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Fulorian wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 pm Dream Theater (evidently, any given member playing solo is now a festival headliner in the USA)
    Well, sure, but only for "progressive metal" values of "festival." :lol:

I still can't see them playing 70K, though...and this is coming from a member of the original Ytsejam Mailing List.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Probably Anthrax
    Anthrax has the biggest legacy yes, but Amon Amarth and Nightwish are definitely bigger bands in current terms.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Interesting to look at the number of Facebook 'likes' for those that we are deeming 'too big' for the boat versus 'likes' for some that have been on the boat previously.

Facebook 'likes' for bands that have been on before::
    4.2m Nightwish
    3.8m Sepultura
    2.5m Anthrax
    2.4m Children of Bodom
    2.2m Cradle of Filth
    1.3m Amon Amarth

Too big?
    36m Metallica
    13m Iron Maiden
    8.7m Rammstein
    7.9m Megadeth
    4.8m Slayer
    4.4m Judas Priest
    3.6m Dream Theater
    1.3m Opeth
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 pm Interesting to look at the number of Facebook 'likes' for those that we are deeming 'too big' for the boat versus 'likes' for some that have been on the boat previously.

Facebook 'likes' for bands that have been on before::
    4.2m Nightwish
    3.8m Sepultura
    2.5m Anthrax
    2.4m Children of Bodom
    2.2m Cradle of Filth
    1.3m Amon Amarth

Too big?
    36m Metallica
    13m Iron Maiden
    8.7m Rammstein
    7.9m Megadeth
    4.8m Slayer
    4.4m Judas Priest
    3.6m Dream Theater
    1.3m Opeth
    Looking at those figures and comparing to bands who have been on before, it looks like Judas Priest and maybe Slayer could be within the realm of possibility, but above there you get to the rarefied heights of around 8 million "likes" and higher.

As someone else pointed out, bands like Rammstein have a huge, bombastic stage show (they in particular have LOTS of pyrotechnics), so it would seem unlikely they'd want to strip down to the level of a boat stage. Unless they were "making that sacrifice" for their OWN cruise, a la MegaDave.

--And I'm pretty sure pyrotechnics are completely verboten onbroad anyway; only Disney Cruise Line has fireworks at (i.e., over) the sea.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Donutsauce
    Crewman

by Donutsauce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:27 am

Ti7aNiC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:40 pm I don't believe any band is "too big" for the boat. I think the uniqueness and special atmosphere this cruise provides is actually additional incentive for bands we consider "too popular" to play it one day. We're coming up on Round X; 70k can no longer be considered just a novelty festival, it's the real deal and here to stay.

I do, however, believe bands like Rammstein will never play a cruise because their stage production is what makes their live shows so spectacular, and there simply isn't room for that kind of thing on the boat. One other issue that might cause a band to avoid the boat would be social anxiety or simply not wanting to be around the fans. Otherwise they'd have to pull an Alissa White-Gluz and hide in their cabin the majority of the time, which would suck for them.

I hold out belief that Priest will headline 70k one day.
    I've been wanting to respond to this with "OBVIOUSLY METALLICA IS TOO BIG!!" but technically, I can't. Metallica can play a small pub or in my living room, being paid whatever they wish, or for charity, or whatever reason.

So, I think you're right. But what are your thoughts on Metallica *actually* being on the boat.

(Or whatever band of that level, just easy to throw out Metallica...)
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:27 am

Go to https://www.celebritytalent.net/samplet ... al&search=, and search for your favorite bands. Look at the minimum guarantee.
    Anything above $40000 is unaffordable, IMO.
    GOJIRA and SUICIDAL TENDENCIES still are.
    Heck, I’d be willing to give half of my bar tab to get SUICIDAL TENDENCIES on broad.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 am

Here’s another way to put it.
    HATEBREED, PRONG, OBITUARY, AGNOSTIC FRONT, and SKELETAL REMAINS are playing in Seattle in May (3 of them on my wish list, although OBITUARY is crossed out now).
    The ticket price for those five bands is $25.
    So $5 per band per person is probably what the boat typically can afford.
    METALLICA in Seattle 2 years ago was $180 (I didn’t go). I think AS I LAY DYING and GOJIRA were the openers.

So that’s the level of discrepancy between boat bands and fantasy bands.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Godflesh wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 am Here’s another way to put it.
    HATEBREED, PRONG, OBITUARY, AGNOSTIC FRONT, and SKELETAL REMAINS are playing in Seattle in May (3 of them on my wish list, although OBITUARY is crossed out now).
    The ticket price for those five bands is $25.
    So $5 per band per person is probably what the boat typically can afford.
    --Making it around $300 per person for all sixty bands. Depending on the cabin category, that's well within UMC's "upcharge" that is built into our pricing, as compared to a "regular" cruise on the Indy.
    Some bands would get a higher guarantee and some bands very likely play 70K for "free" (or even pay-to-play), but it might average out.
    Another factor: 70K has to cover the cabin costs and associated taxes and gratuities for most -- I think virtually all -- bands onbroad.
    2025 Wishlist:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 am

just throwing in some "fun facts":
    - this year, we had a co-headliner (set-length) with 27k facebook likes (Rage)
    - Stratovarius has way more likes than Blind Guardian (1.1mio vs. 0.69mio)
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:28 am

I was gonna say Ghost, mainly for the anonymous factor but that doesn't seem to be an issue any longer. I know, most people think Ghost is not even metal, but if bands like Cyhra, Amaranthe and Delain can make it I don't see why Ghost couldn't just based on genre/style
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:38 am

MANOWAR!!! KILL KILL!!

Well, does ego count for too big of a band????
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Jaimie38 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:38 am MANOWAR!!! KILL KILL!!

Well, does ego count for too big of a band????
    It does when it also means a really HUGE guarantee. :evil:
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:21 am

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned this yet.
    WASHY WASHY clearly had the biggest impact of all bands this year by far, so I’m afraid they’ll be moving to bigger Oasis class ships now.
Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1