Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1
Top 5 bands who killed it on 70000 Tons
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

Top 5 bands who killed it on 70000 Tons

by Godflesh » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:15 am

Thinking about it, there are always bands that blow away my expectations on the boat, giving me the best time ever. A common sign is that I couldn’t help but see both shows.
    It’s hard to think of a top 5, but for me they all happen to be seasoned old pros. Coincidence?

Here are mine, what are yours?

1. BEHEMOTH, 2015
    2. NAPALM DEATH, 2015
    3. ANTHRAX, 2017
    4. SEPULTURA, 2018
    5. ACCEPT, 2019
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Top 5 bands who killed it on 70000 Tons

by bodomdragon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 am

I'm sure I'll forget lots of GREAT stuff, this is so difficult, but here it goes.

1. Symphony X, 2014
    2. Threshold, 2015
    3. Scar Symmetry, 2017
    4. In Mourning, 2018
    5. Insomnium, 2018

Worth mentioning: Axxis, Freedom Call, Sabaton, Allegaeon, Omnium Gatherum, Triosphere, Dark Tranquillity, Dragonforce, Epica, Rage & LMO, Ne Obliviscaris, Stratovarius, Pain... and the list goes on.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 am

I've only been on in 2019.

Unleash the Archers absolutely blew me away, especially Brittney's voice. They were SO good I went and got a merch ticket and bought their shirt.

God Dethroned and Mors really stood out for me, as well as NeO.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Riot Vs set! I caught some of the beginning of it and they fucking rock.

Enisferum was my "must see both sets" band this year so I might be biased but I thought they did an amazing job as well.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am

This was really really hard, I just thought about which shows I remember most fondly.

5. Behemoth, 2015
    4. Scar Symmetry, 2017
    3. Fleshgod Apocalypse, 2019
    2. Allegaeon, 2017 (even though I only went to one set, that Pyramid Lounge set was INSANE)
    1. Insomnium, 2018

Too many honorable mentions to name, but yeah, wow. It'll be hard for a show to ever top Winters' Gate on the pool deck.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 am

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am This was really really hard, I just thought about which shows I remember most fondly.

5. Behemoth, 2015
    4. Scar Symmetry, 2017
    2. Allegaeon, 2017 (even though I only went to one set, that Pyramid Lounge set was INSANE)
    1. Insomnium, 2018

Too many honorable mentions to name, but yeah, wow. It'll be hard for a show to ever top Winters' Gate on the pool deck.
    Oh yeah, that's who I was forgetting! Fleshgod was amazing. It wasn't even a show I was originally planning to see, just because I wasn't as familiar with them, but I'm super glad I got dragged there. One of my top sets for sure.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:48 am This was really really hard, I just thought about which shows I remember most fondly.

5. Behemoth, 2015
    4. Scar Symmetry, 2017
    1. Insomnium, 2018

Sharing two out of five with you, not bad... plus I was also thinking of Allegaeon, I just didn't include them for the same reason you mentioned, only caught one set. But yes, that Pyramid set was one of the craziest, funniest things that has ever happened on the boat.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 am

3. Voivod, 2018
    2. Paradise Lost, 2019
    1. Haggard, 2017

This was really hard to do. Like godflesh mentioned, all veterans :cool:
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 pm

I don't get excited about bands as much now as I did my first years, but these were memoriable for me.

Arch Enemy 2015
    Crucified Barbara 2015
    Behemoth 2015
    Theorion 2015
    Arkona 2016

Worth mentioning:
    Napalm Death 2015
    Amorphis 2017
    Orphaned Land 2017
    Gyze 2018
    Fleshgod Apocalypse 2019
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Not an easy thing to do.

In no order, I would say:

Behemoth 2012 - (Barge to Hell)
    Enslaved 2012 - (Barge to Hell)
    Exodus 2012 - (Barge to Hell) included the awesome Tuxedo-dus set
    My Dying Bride 2012
    Paradise Lost 2019

If you are going to not allow performances from Barge to Hell, then I would probably have (in no specific order):

My Dying Bride 2012
    Paradise Lost 2019
    The Haunted 2014
    Behemoth 2015
    In Mourning, 2018
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 am ...I was also thinking of Allegaeon, I just didn't include them for the same reason you mentioned, only caught one set. But yes, that Pyramid set was one of the craziest, funniest things that has ever happened on the boat.
    Same thing here. I missed the first set, so I didn't include them. That Pyramid lounge set was incredibly fun to witness.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:51 pm

2011 - a lot of happy memories there.

Sabaton 2011 - I cried during the first set during Cliffs of Gallipoli (grandad's brother died there in 1915), Joakim getting crowd surfed to the pool second set. Unforgettable.

Iced Earth 2011 - Jon jamming during soundcheck on the pool deck, crowd start singing along, Barlow off stage then starts singing with us. Crazy.

Evertale 2018 - My boys!!! Absolutely NAILED IT. Both sets. Made me so happy.

Trouble 2015 - Was so disappointed in their performance 2011 (singer was not a good fit) that I wasn't sure i'd even check them out in 2015. So glad I did. Kyle Thomas KILLED on vocals.

Tyr 2011 - Wild Rover on the pool deck. 'nuff said.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Sgt. B wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 pmParadise Lost 2019
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Lots of Behemoth in 2015. That pool deck set stuck with more people than just me, I see.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:24 pm Lots of Behemoth in 2015. That pool deck set stuck with more people than just me, I see.
    Yes! Black smoke billowing from smoke stacks in the back-ground at midnight. Was my first exposure to black metal and it was like a fire-hose. Was convinced we were all on a boat going straight to hell. Haha!
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:24 pm Lots of Behemoth in 2015. That pool deck set stuck with more people than just me, I see.
    They are in Australia for the Download festival this weekend.

Cannot imagine them on stage at 3pm on a hot Australian afternoon will be quite as impactful as that night on the poolstage on 70K :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 am

It was my first 70K. I was already having a really awesome time, but THAT set ensured it would not be my last. :headbanger:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:39 pm

Turisas on the pool deck in 2016 is my favorite concert memory ever, not just 70K.

Some others that stood out:
    - Allegaeon 2017 (+1 for the infamous Pyramid Lounge set)
    - Aeternam 2018 (their "fuck you o'clock" pool deck set with the sunrise in the background was amazing)
    - Fleshgod Apocalypse 2019 (pillow fight!)
    - At the Gates 2016 (that ice rink show was amazeballs)
    - Haggard 2017 (theater set. We almost skipped this because we caught a little bit of their pool deck set and it was awful. I was absolutely blown away by them when the orchestra didn't have to fight against gale force winds to play.)
    - Amorphis 2017 (pool deck)
    - Sepultura 2018 (theater)
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Iconix
    Crewman

by Iconix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I don't think I can restrict it to just 5 so instead I'm gonna restrict it to 3 per year

Insomnium - Because it was my first time on the boat, and they're probably my #1 favorite band, and their second set was the closing set of the whole cruise, as the ship was getting thrashed by a storm at 4 in the morning, and that sealed my fate as a 70k devotee
    At the Gates - First time I'd ever seen them live and both shows were incredible
    Children of Bodom - Their pool deck show remains one of my favorite mosh pits of all time
    Allegaeon - Everyone who was at the lounge set knows why, and the pool deck set at bullshit o'clock in the morning was excellent too
    Amorphis - See above Re: At the Gates 2016
    Mors Principium Est - See above Re: Amorphis & At the Gates
    Aeternam - Because of that unbelievable fuck you o'clock pool deck set with the sunrise in the background
    Insomnium - They were just fucking incredible last year, the chaotic energy of the ice rink set and Mikael Stanne crowd surfing, and the pure beauty of Winter's Gate on the pool deck under a full moon
    Dark Tranquillity - Every DT show I've ever seen, the vibe in the crowd is just...it's so positive, I don't know how else to describe it. It's like an affirmation of the essence of metalhead camaraderie. 70k turned that up a couple extra notches
    Fleshgod Apocalypse - Because they were great and the crowd for both their shows was absolutely INSANE
    Kalmah - The band was awesome, and I loved the terrible jokes, but mostly because Pikachu
    Ne Obliviscaris - I have never not been mesmerized by them playing live
    Last edited by Iconix on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
  • Fulorian
    Crewman

by Fulorian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:37 am

Insomnium - 2018 - Probably the best set I've seen on the boat, ever, was the ice rink set that more than one person has observed in the past really kicked off 2018 for them. Seeing 'Weather the Storm' with Mikael was once-in-a-lifetime amazingness.
    Katatonia - 2016 - The pool deck set transformed my wife from a casual fan to a hardcore one, and with the Fall of Hearts releasing only a month later, this kicked off 2016 as the year we were obsessed with Katatonia. I'd seen Katatonia a few times previously, but this was on a completely different level.
    Omnium Gatherum - 2017 - Their insanely late pool deck set was somehow made better by the primal exhaustion, and closing the set out with 'Deep Cold' mixed with that exhaustion to create some kind of blissful euphoria.
    Draconian - 2017 - Theater set. Even without Heike being onboard, the raw emotionality of their music was amplified so heavily by the setting - during 'Dishearten' is the only time in my life I can recall openly crying during a metal show.
    Alestorm - 2018 - Theater set closing out the cruise. Probably the most fun I've ever had in my entire life, not just in a metal show, but just in general. The atmosphere of the crowd, coming straight from Sabaton's last set (which could probably have edged into the #6 place), the moshpit and crowd surfing and singalong just to the backing track music between sets, Ducky - this set was just absolutely legendary.
    Survivor - 16 / 17 / 18 / 19
Post Reply 19 posts Page 1 of 1