Post Reply 220 posts
How Fast Will 2020 Sell Out?
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: How Fast Will 2020 Sell Out?

by Gratch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

cholernik wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:57 am part of the reason I can afford to go is my wife and I are flying for free, thanks to credit card points from an airline. Living in the states helps a bit also.
    The only reason we've been able to go 5 times is because I travel enough for work that I have a ton of airline miles and Marriott points saved up. Probably wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

I'm likely to be switching jobs next year to one where I'm not travelling as much, which is one of the big reasons why this will most likely be our last year for 70K.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

SavaRon wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:43 am I definitely think having the cruise so early in January is a huge problem for a lot of people. It is for us and we live in Florida! The prices going up and the announcement process hurts as well. The other thing is people just get bored and move on. Progpower kind of went through this around year 10 or so. You have to bring in new blood to replace the people that drop out. Plus there is a ton of competition compared to 10 years ago. It is a perfect storm...of shit.
    Yep. ProgPower USA's problem back around ten years ago was that it became a victim of its own success. Glenn had "busted the door down" with the first US appearances of several BIG power-metal bands, most notably Blind Guardian.* But, there hasn't been too much "new blood" in that genre at that exalted level, so the novelty factor began wearing off...plus the economy was in the throes of the "Little Recession."
    ProgPower USA pulled out of that slump and is back to consistent sellouts...in part, I think, due to the transparency of its "skipper." Glenn might not tell you everything, but anything he tells you is gospel and if something goes wrong, or if there's a delay, he'll explain WHY.

It will be interesting to see If 70K can recover the same way that ProgPower USA did.

---
    * and while Glenn is a bigger prog-metal fan than power, he's been the first to say that "it's the POWER-metal bands that put asses in seats." Or, y'know, cabins on a boat.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Another... I won't say "bad" so lets just say "less than ideal" sign is that at this time of year the last couple of years you would mainly see requests in the 'recruit a cabin mate' section of the forum from people going "PLEASE SOMEONE GIMME A SPOT".

Right now its mainly people trying to FIND people to fill their cabins, or people trying to sell theirs!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:45 am

They will definitely bring in way less than the past couple years, but I don’t think the financial situation will be as catastrophic as it might seem. If they are 75% sold out, that’s about 2250 cabins or so. I estimate the cost of a cabin (including the higher fees) is about 25% higher than it was in 2015. So, the 2250 people who are paying more are covering the cost of about 560 additional cabins. Meaning, their gross revenue right now would be comparable to a 93% sold out boat in 2015. Big missed opportunity, but not quite an event ending type situation.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:38 am

Downvod wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:45 am They will definitely bring in way less than the past couple years, but I don’t think the financial situation will be as catastrophic as it might seem. If they are 75% sold out, that’s about 2250 cabins or so. I estimate the cost of a cabin (including the higher fees) is about 25% higher than it was in 2015. So, the 2250 people who are paying more are covering the cost of about 560 additional cabins. Meaning, their gross revenue right now would be comparable to a 93% sold out boat in 2015. Big missed opportunity, but not quite an event ending type situation.
    you make interesting points , but with higher inflation , what if the thought was, they needed to make significantly more money to cover costs and profit margins. Things cost are much more now than in 2015.
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am

Downvod wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:45 am They will definitely bring in way less than the past couple years, but I don’t think the financial situation will be as catastrophic as it might seem. If they are 75% sold out, that’s about 2250 cabins or so. I estimate the cost of a cabin (including the higher fees) is about 25% higher than it was in 2015. So, the 2250 people who are paying more are covering the cost of about 560 additional cabins. Meaning, their gross revenue right now would be comparable to a 93% sold out boat in 2015. Big missed opportunity, but not quite an event ending type situation.
    That's not a bad point.... but...that being said, we are sailing during a different timeframe then previously. That 'might' mean Royal Caribbean charged them more to sail during that time frame. Your assumption here is that their cost did not rise significantly...that might be largely true...or it might not be. That is the piece we don't know.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Meant to post this here earlier but was distracted and threw it in the wrong thread.

70K 2019
    Number of Guests: 3092
    Musicians & Crew: 1036

BARGE TO HELL 2012
    number of Guests: 1223
    Musicians/Crew: 416
    Ship crew: 881
    Total number of people on board: 2520

Compared to 70K 2013:
    Number of Guests: 2037
    Musicians & Crew: 466
    Ship Crew Members: 892
    Total Number of Persons on Board: 3395
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm

VERY MINOR update. I'm removing the * from the 1N category as there are at LEAST 3 of these available now.
    3B I'm leaving with the * as there appears to be only one of those.

Type / Double / Triple / Quad / Quin/ SEX / Sept / Oct /
    Standard Interior 6V / 90 /
    Standard Interior 4V / 225 /
    Standard Interior 3V / ?? / 1 / 151 /
    Standard Interior 2V / 121 /
    Standard Interior 1V / ?? / ?? / 26 /
    Promenade View 2T / 168 /
    Spacious Interior 1R / -- / -- / ?? / ?? / 2 /
    Spacious Prome 1Q / -- / -- / ?? / ?? / 4 /
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 3N / ?? / ?? / 41 /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Ocean View 1N / ?? / ?? / 61 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Spacious Ocean 1M / ?? / ?? / 7 /
    Ultra Spacious 1K / -- / -- / ?? / ?? / 10 /
    Spacious Pano 1L / 6 / ?? / 33 /
    Standard Balcony 6D / 20 /
    Standard Balcony 5D / ?? / 22 /
    Standard Balcony 2D / 223 /
    Standard Balcony 1D / ?? / 64 / 7 /
    Spacious Balcony 4B / 237 /
    Spacious Balcony 3B / ?? / ?? / 74** /
    Spacious Balcony 2B / 64 /
    Spacious Balcony 1B / ?? / ?? / 14 /
    Pano Suite VP / -- / -- / ?? / ?? / 2 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /
    Balcony Suite J3 / ??** / ?? / 62 /
    Grand Suite GS / ?? / ?? / 24 /
    Grand Suite GT / -- / -- / ??? / ?? / ?? / ??? / 6 /
    Owner Suite OS / ?? / ?? / 6 /

Total Cabins, by my count: 1961
    Total Cabins, according to cruisedeckplans website: 1918
    Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1235
    **Previously sold out. Only 1 or 2 left.

Single Male still available
    Double - 4V, 2V, 2T, 2N, 2D, 4B, 2B
    Quad - 1N, 3N

Single Female still available
    Double - 4V, 2T, 2N, 2D
    Quad - 3V, 1V, 3N
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

slayergeek wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am
    That's not a bad point.... but...that being said, we are sailing during a different timeframe then previously. That 'might' mean Royal Caribbean charged them more to sail during that time frame. Your assumption here is that their cost did not rise significantly...that might be largely true...or it might not be. That is the piece we don't know.
    I don’t make any assumptions. I realize that their costs have likely gone up, but we can’t know for sure how much. I am pretty confident that they haven’t gone up by 25%, however. I would probably say that 2016-2018 had more expensive lineups. I think the majority of the rise in cabin price is due to simple supply and demand. Can’t blame them for trying to turn more of a profit after several years of sellouts.

I’m sure they also had to sit down at some point and decide on pricing for this year. Do we price it lower, hoping to sway more people on the fence after the late rollout... Or... do we assume that most of the people who are coming have already made their decision, and are locked into it regardless of the price. If so, then Price it higher in case there are empty cabins. It was a horrible business move and there is a huge opportunity cost in not starting things earlier... I’m just saying that it might not be crippling, and might end up as profitable as some of the earlier editions.

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm VERY MINOR update. I'm removing the * from the 1N category as there are at LEAST 3 of these available now.
    It'll be interesting to see if this changes after the "drop-dead no refunds at all" deadline comes up in a few days.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 am

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm VERY MINOR update. I'm removing the * from the 1N category as there are at LEAST 3 of these available now.

Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1235

Double - 4V, 2V, 2T, 2N, 2D, 4B, 2B
    Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2T, 2N, 2D
    Quad - 3V, 1V, 3N
    How can you tell that there are at least 3?

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Downvod wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 am

If you go to start the process of booking a cabin, it reserves that cabin for you for 20 minutes.

If I do that in Google Chrome for the 3B Quad, then immediately try and book that category using another browser, that category is unavailable - conclusion, there is only one of those cabin types available and its currently reserved for me as I'm trying to book it using Google Chrome.

If I do that for the 1N Quad, I can then do the same thing with all three browsers on my laptop - Internet Explorer, Firefox AND Google Chrome. Conclusion - there are at least 3 of that cabin type still available :)

If you had the time, you could probably utilising a VPN and multiple connections be able to ascertain a fairly good idea of exactly how many of EVERY category were left using that same process, but I can't be bothered :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:04 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm If you had the time, you could probably utilising a VPN and multiple connections be able to ascertain a fairly good idea of exactly how many of EVERY category were left using that same process, but I can't be bothered :D
    Heck, no one has that much time :lol:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:31 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm

If you go to start the process of booking a cabin, it reserves that cabin for you for 20 minutes.

If I do that in Google Chrome for the 3B Quad, then immediately try and book that category using another browser, that category is unavailable - conclusion, there is only one of those cabin types available and its currently reserved for me as I'm trying to book it using Google Chrome.

If I do that for the 1N Quad, I can then do the same thing with all three browsers on my laptop - Internet Explorer, Firefox AND Google Chrome. Conclusion - there are at least 3 of that cabin type still available :)

If you had the time, you could probably utilising a VPN and multiple connections be able to ascertain a fairly good idea of exactly how many of EVERY category were left using that same process, but I can't be bothered :D
    Just a FYI...70000 probably doesn't appreciate anyone doing this. If it's holding cabins, somebody else may actually be trying to book that category and think it's sold out. Someone was doing something like this for ProgPower and putting 50 tickets in their cart at a time, which would prevent others from buying tickets. They were probably just trying to see how close it was to selling out, but I know the promoter did not like that.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Another reason why I didn't want to do it for all the categories :P

Figured doing once or twice on those two categories doesn't hurt much, considering those cabins have been sitting there available for weeks and weeks now :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 pm Another reason why I didn't want to do it for all the categories :P

Figured doing once or twice on those two categories doesn't hurt much, considering those cabins have been sitting there available for weeks and weeks now :)
    EXACTLY. It's not like people are breaking down the doors to book 70K rooms right now.

As for PPUSA, I'm surprised Ticketmaster doesn't impose their typical eight- or ten-ticket limit on ticket sales. If that's been a problem, TM needs to be told to fix that.
    2025 Wishlist:
    SavaRon
    Crewman

by SavaRon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Pellaz wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 pm Another reason why I didn't want to do it for all the categories :P

EXACTLY. It's not like people are breaking down the doors to book 70K rooms right now.

As for PPUSA, I'm surprised Ticketmaster doesn't impose their typical eight- or ten-ticket limit on ticket sales. If that's been a problem, TM needs to be told to fix that.
    It probably isn't an issue at this point because it's so close to sailing.
    I think Glenn did limit the ticket amount for PP now.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:18 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm

:shock: ... you are one dedicated Statsman.

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Promenade View 2T now gone - that's a big chunk of cabins now off the market.
    Single Male Double 2D also no longer available.
    Single Female Double 2V and 2D gone. Quad 4V also gone

Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1403

Double - 4V, 2V, 2T, 2N, 4B, 2B
    Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2N, 4B
    Quad - 3V, 3N
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:42 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:08 pm Promenade View 2T now gone - that's a big chunk of cabins now off the market.
    Single Male Double 2D also no longer available.
    Single Female Double 2V and 2D gone. Quad 4V also gone

Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1403

Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2N, 4B
    Quad - 3V, 3N
    Promenade is typically one of the last cabin types to sell out, if I’m not mistaken. When I booked my first cruise for 2016, late in the game, that is the one I had to go with.

• metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:34 am

There is once again as of this morning , opened up availability for the promenade level , 2T cabins. :|
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Promenade View 2T back again - only 1 available.

Promenade View 2T / 168** /
    Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1367 (includes 2T and 3B)

Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2N, 4B
    Quad - 3V, 3N
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:57 pm

So a month to go.

2020 - still 18 private cabin categories available. 9 single male categories still left to chose from, and 5 single female.

How does that compare to the previous years?

2019 - sold out months in advance
    2018 - sold out months in advance
    2017 - had 6 categories left a month out (4 of which had been marked as soldout previously so REALLY only 2 categories with a significant number of avail cabins)
    2016 - 7 categories left (2 of which had been previously marked sold out so really only 5 options with multiple cabins)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:57 pm So a month to go.

2020 - still 18 private cabin categories available. 9 single male categories still left to chose from, and 5 single female.

How does that compare to the previous years?

2019 - sold out months in advance
    2018 - sold out months in advance
    2017 - had 6 categories left a month out (4 of which had been marked as soldout previously so REALLY only 2 categories with a significant number of avail cabins)
    2016 - 7 categories left (2 of which had been previously marked sold out so really only 5 options with multiple cabins)
    Any chance that the ABSOLUTE organizational disaster might lead into a less crowded boat this time? :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:38 am

Promenade View selling out before some of the other categories is strange because it is the worst “value “ on the ship.Maybe if people like being in the center or like be voyeurs,it makes sense.But since not every cabin is filled,even with a sellout (ship has a maximum capacity),maybe they just reduced the number of that category this year because of more people in cheap interior quads.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm

deathmetalpat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:38 am Promenade View selling out before some of the other categories is strange because it is the worst “value “ on the ship.Maybe if people like being in the center or like be voyeurs,it makes sense.But since not every cabin is filled,even with a sellout (ship has a maximum capacity),maybe they just reduced the number of that category this year because of more people in cheap interior quads.
    Maybe they are putting bands in the promenade cabins to leave better value options open? Is it possible they have been upgrading people at all as well?

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Downvod wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm
    deathmetalpat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:38 am Promenade View selling out before some of the other categories is strange because it is the worst “value “ on the ship.Maybe if people like being in the center or like be voyeurs,it makes sense.But since not every cabin is filled,even with a sellout (ship has a maximum capacity),maybe they just reduced the number of that category this year because of more people in cheap interior quads.
    Maybe they are putting bands in the promenade cabins to leave better value options open? Is it possible they have been upgrading people at all as well?
    POSSIBLE - although I haven't heard anything. And with the number of actual cruisers that I'm connected with via here via discord and via facebook, surely I would have heard something if people were getting upgraded...

And hey - I'm statsman. Surely if ANYONE was getting an upgrade it would be me, amiright?

:P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 pm

That’s a possibility,also since this happened near the one month cut off date ,some other things could have happened.People who booked a quad or a triple and lost one or two people could have been given a choice of booking promenade level as out option.Maybe no penalty or something like that,if they took promenade double.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:24 am

When looking at TV documentations, press interviews seem to be held in promenade view rooms. Also some bands had promenade view rooms as seen on their Youtube channels.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Grand Suites are suddenly gone. Does that translate to some big name bands being signed?
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:26 am

Promenade View 2T gone again.
    Spacious Ocean View 4M gone.
    Grand Suites GT all gone.

Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1389 (includes 3B)

Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2N, 4B
    Quad - 3V, 3N
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:23 pm

meshuggah wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 pm Grand Suites are suddenly gone. Does that translate to some big name bands being signed?
    We can only hope.

Or maybe they've moved some bands/VIPs to Grand Suites to free up less expensive rooms for bookings.
    Might be too little too late at this point unless your hypothesis is correct and they're booking BIG names, though.
    2025 Wishlist:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Hoping this spate of cabin activity is because of band bookings....

Promenade View 2T back again.
    Ocean View 2N gone.

Promenade View 2T / 168** /
    Ocean View 8N / 47 / / /
    Ocean View 2N / 69 /
    Spacious Ocean 4M / 16 /
    Balcony Suite J4 / 56 /

Total Cabins in sold out categories: 1458 (includes 3B)

Quad - 1N, 3N

Double - 4V, 2N, 4B
    Quad - 3V, 3N
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Surely they would have to have put aside cabins for 60 bands before public booking starts though? I could see the occasional surprise when you book an orchestra, but I doubt Andy is just allocating them now, because what if it had sold out already?
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Surely they would have to have put aside cabins for 60 bands before public booking starts though? I could see the occasional surprise when you book an orchestra, but I doubt Andy is just allocating them now, because what if it had sold out already?
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm

alex_canada wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm Surely they would have to have put aside cabins for 60 bands before public booking starts though? I could see the occasional surprise when you book an orchestra, but I doubt Andy is just allocating them now, because what if it had sold out already?

You make an interesting point , it makes you wonder , how the business end of the whole thing really works .
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 pm

alex_canada wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm Surely they would have to have put aside cabins for 60 bands before public booking starts though? I could see the occasional surprise when you book an orchestra, but I doubt Andy is just allocating them now, because what if it had sold out already?
    Yeah I agree hat they would have cabins put aside at the start for bands.

BUT, and its just a theory, BUT I'm guessing they have something like "XX of cabin type A, XX of cabin type B etc" initially, but if they are booking late and trying to entice peoples they might offer up more expensive cabins. Eg. "hello band YYYYYY, wanna play 70k? realise it is late notice but as an added incentive we'll give you a luxury cabin as part of the deal".

Could even offer up ADDITIONAL cabins which would also explain cabins 'selling out' as these definitely wouldn't be part of the allocation reserved for bands. "Got girlfriends/kids/friends? We'll throw in an extra cabin for them!"

Just a thought.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:41 am

I was thinking the same things said in the last few posts.
    MEGACRUISE also had extra cabins, they gave them away, because they **already** had the bands (how could they do that? Magic!)
    70K gave away several of them in the press in Europe (Germany and Spain), but not enough.
    So now they’re probably upgrading bands, and giving away extra cabins, because those cabins are already paid for, but the booze isn’t.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Godflesh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:41 am I was thinking the same things said in the last few posts.
    MEGACRUISE also had extra cabins, they gave them away, because they **already** had the bands (how could they do that? Magic!)
    70K gave away several of them in the press in Europe (Germany and Spain), but not enough.
    So now they’re probably upgrading bands, and giving away extra cabins, because those cabins are already paid for, but the booze isn’t.
    I think Megacruise was a bit different of a situation. I'm sure they could have sold out if Dave hadn't had his cancer issues. After Megadeth, for all intents and purposes, cancelled, they were never going to sell out at regular pricing. 70K has more likely fallen victim to SOONitis. Once they got to a certain point, they effectively eliminated a lot of cruisers that weren't going to gamble on travel reservations. And if they're still actively booking bands 24 days out, just wow.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 pm
    Yeah I agree hat they would have cabins put aside at the start for bands.

BUT, and its just a theory, BUT I'm guessing they have something like "XX of cabin type A, XX of cabin type B etc" initially, but if they are booking late and trying to entice peoples they might offer up more expensive cabins. Eg. "hello band YYYYYY, wanna play 70k? realise it is late notice but as an added incentive we'll give you a luxury cabin as part of the deal".
    Yep, I'd be surprised if this wasn't happening. I know that some bands CAN get at least one of the smaller suites, as I've seen one who did.
    Could even offer up ADDITIONAL cabins which would also explain cabins 'selling out' as these definitely wouldn't be part of the allocation reserved for bands. "Got girlfriends/kids/friends? We'll throw in an extra cabin for them!"
    Just a thought.
    That'd be a pretty good deal-sweetener, too. "We are happy to say that we can now allocate an additional room for the two techs that you requested."
    2025 Wishlist: