Post Reply 2037 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2020 Megathread
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

Re: Cabin With A View

by cegr80 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:16 pm

2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Forums were invented for bitching. It's up to the person being bitched at if they want to read it or not. I do not expect that andy is reading any of the complaints/concerns.

With this being my first year I did come here for info on past cruises but couldn't really find much. But I know what forums are really for, bitching. welcome to the internet.

Honestly, I don't give a shit if we get another band until Christmas. The guy does this every year, as stupid as I believe it is, it's been working. I really think he's relying on repeat customers booking on blind faith, but whatever. Emperor and, I guess the longevity of this cruise, got me here. I know it'll be a good time, but still, seriously, this is fucking frustrating and annoying and I'm allowed to be pissed off.
    2020: Survivor
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm

I'm sympathetic to Brian here. The late launch was challenging, but had a legitimate explanation and was addressed, and all other issues this year have been well within the norm for 70k. I've been to a lot of festivals and while 70k is far from the best-run, it isn't the worst, and my tolerance for it's idiosyncrasies is proportionate to the quality of experience that is produced. It is the best fest I've ever been to, and that makes me very tolerant of issues like late announcements and announcement gaps.

It's difficult because I know for me, my life is extremely stressful right now and I participate in fest-related communities like this as a way to relax and be excited about something positive. Of course, everyone is entitled to be annoyed (and even pissed off), and they are entitled to complain, but others are entitled to be annoyed that you are annoyed, and to complain about your complaining. 'tis the circle of life.

Now lets get some announcements to distract us before this thread devolves!
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't know what's worse, the lack of announcements, or all the whining that goes along with it.

Relax, fools. The party of the year awaits - you need to get your rest. Maybe do some yoga or whatever. Chill your tiny human brains.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm The late launch was challenging, but had a legitimate explanation and was addressed, and all other issues this year have been well within the norm for 70k.
    Yeeeeah nah. Sorry - that ship has sailed. Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Closing the chicken coop after the fox has eaten all the hens etc.

We had a LONG silence previously, Skipper said "Don't worry it will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN".

Guess what? It happened again.

People have every right to complain.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

34 days and 24 bands left.
    For comparison, here's when previous droughts ended:
    2019 37 days to go 22 bands
    2018 28 days to go 16 bands
    2017 42 days to go 23 bands
    2016 36 days to go 20 bands
    2015 36 days to go 30 bands

In 7 days, if nothing happens, we'll have beaten the record for the latest end of announcement drought on the Independence, while being the second year with the most bands left to announce at that time.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Ti7aNiC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:48 am In all seriousness - everyone needs to chill tf out.

I totally agree that UMC should have started announcements far earlier this year, that having almost half the lineup unannounced by the refund cutoff date is poor business, and that Andy holds the reigns far too tight. But there's an entire UMC staff behind him probably as frustrated as we are, and if we're being real - the boat isn't going to truly sell out this year, not because of the Superbowl, not because of the holiday season, but because Andy left things too long for people to get their vacations and finances in order. Bitching and complaining here does nothing, though. If you don't want to support these bad business practices, then don't buy a ticket. If you know they are gonna pull it off and it'll be an amazing time but are frustrated, then leave comments in the Survivor Feedback Survey. Things certainly haven't appeared professional this year, but coming to here to the forum just reeks of entitlement, anxiety, and bitching. This is still the best festival out there and I'm starting to feel bad for anyone who's never attended coming here to read all the bullshit in these threads.
    As someone who will in a few months time be celebrating 10 years of membership to this forum, can I just say? YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN'.

The "bitching" at the moment is nothing like it was 5 years ago, or even 9 years ago. God, back before the first cruise every time there was a silence of more than a couple of days there was significant bitching worried whether it was all just a complete scam!

Quite frankly if people want to complain here? Let them. UMC know exactly what they can do to stop said bitching. They choose not to.

Just like people can choose not to read bitching posts. Just like people can choose to make bitching posts. Or choose to not make bitching posts. Or choose to make bitching posts bitching about bitching posts.

Such is the way of the internet.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:03 am

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 pm
    Quite frankly if people want to complain here? Let them. UMC know exactly what they can do to stop said bitching. They choose not to.
    Yeah. So let's commence the bitching, or well, continue it.
    *banging on desk* WE WANT BANDS. WE WANT BANDS. WE WANT BANDS.

Like I've said before, I'm already booked and I know I'll have a blast, but I just want more bands so I know what to expect. I like to listen to bands I haven't heard of before I see them. I like to listen to bands I haven't listened to in a while before I see them. Shit like that.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 am

Ti7aNiC wrote: ↑
    Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:48 pm
    In all seriousness - everyone needs to chill tf out.

I totally agree that UMC should have started announcements far earlier this year, that having almost half the lineup unannounced by the refund cutoff date is poor business, and that Andy holds the reigns far too tight. But there's an entire UMC staff behind him probably as frustrated as we are, and if we're being real - the boat isn't going to truly sell out this year, not because of the Superbowl, not because of the holiday season, but because Andy left things too long for people to get their vacations and finances in order. Bitching and complaining here does nothing, though. If you don't want to support these bad business practices, then don't buy a ticket. If you know they are gonna pull it off and it'll be an amazing time but are frustrated, then leave comments in the Survivor Feedback Survey. Things certainly haven't appeared professional this year, but coming to here to the forum just reeks of entitlement, anxiety, and bitching. This is still the best festival out there and I'm starting to feel bad for anyone who's never attended coming here to read all the bullshit in these threads.

It is extremely important for people to read comments both negative and positive , if someone is new and they are reading posts, good or bad it helps them formulate an opinion and decide what is best for them , in essence the negative comments are very healthy, it lets them know the truth of what they are working with , hiding and concealing the truth is dishonest and not helpful to anyone. Let the people express their points of view whether good or bad, intelligent people will make informed choices of what is best for themselves. Honesty and transparency is always best , which seems in short supply recently.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:01 am

One additional comment , as with most things in life ,it is important to take all the comments here good or bad with a grain of salt.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 am

On 70000 tons Facebook , Archon Angel premiered a new song , nothing out of the ordinary I feel , some may like it , to each his own taste . :|
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 am

I have one positive comment , the line staff for 70000 Tons that answer the phones and give guidance are always very positive and helpful ! :cheers: :viking:
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

by clegane » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm

cholernik wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 pm Forums were invented for bitching. It's up to the person being bitched at if they want to read it or not. I do not expect that andy is reading any of the complaints/concerns.

With this being my first year I did come here for info on past cruises but couldn't really find much. But I know what forums are really for, bitching. welcome to the internet.

Honestly, I don't give a shit if we get another band until Christmas. The guy does this every year, as stupid as I believe it is, it's been working. I really think he's relying on repeat customers booking on blind faith, but whatever. Emperor and, I guess the longevity of this cruise, got me here. I know it'll be a good time, but still, seriously, this is fucking frustrating and annoying and I'm allowed to be pissed off.

Same opinion here! Its not really cheap, so I think we are allowed to express our opinions!
    No Festival on earth treats its visitors like this. Just one month to go and almost half of the bands missing...! :shock:
    Wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Infernal Majesty, Meliah Rage,Toranaga, Evildead, Triptykon, Brutality, Massacre, Dismember, Flotsam a Jetsam, Protector, Razor, Helstar, Omen, Running Wild, Vltimas, Lik, Sorcery (SWE), Attacker

Survivor:
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:08 pm

clegane wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm
    cholernik wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 pm Forums were invented for bitching. It's up to the person being bitched at if they want to read it or not. I do not expect that andy is reading any of the complaints/concerns.

Same opinion here! Its not really cheap, so I think we are allowed to express our opinions!
    No Festival on earth treats its visitors like this. Just one month to go and almost half of the bands missing...! :shock:
    That's what I'm saying. imagine any other festival doing this. the UMC crew does this because, for some reason, they get away with it. After this year they might change something. I highly doubt that though. I bet andy would rather end this thing than turn it over to someone else or a company. I hope not. All I'm really asking for is that band announcements come sooner and more often. I get it, this always happens, and this is how they do things...but again... it's stupid.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Ti7aNiC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:48 am This is still the best festival out there
    Well, THAT's pretty fucking arguable.... Name another major festival that pulls the same announcement-delay bullshit that 70K does. And if announcements are delayed because bands just haven't been contacted yet...calling this the "best" festival out there is REALLY pushing it.
    and I'm starting to feel bad for anyone who's never attended coming here to read all the bullshit in these threads.
    Why? They deserve to know EXACTLY what the fuck they're putting their money into.
    Aside from our speculation about how full the boat is so far and the repercussions of same, nothing stated here has been untruthful. Bands ARE announced in some random, haphazard method to which apparently Andy alone is privy.
    Band announcements this year HAVE started remarkably late -- even by 70K standards.
    People HAVE had to make tough decisions as to whether they can afford to attend, or whether the lineup is worth it.

70K is a great event. I truly love it both for the diversity of bands and the camaraderie. But this is NOT a cheap ticket, especially now, and anyone who's considering shelling out full payment with no chance of a refund really needs to know what's going on.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 pm

metalforever wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 am I have one positive comment , the line staff for 70000 Tons that answer the phones and give guidance are always very positive and helpful ! :cheers: :viking:
    Absolutely THIS. And also the folks who handle the emails.
    I had a problem with my email on the morning Gold sales started. They were able to get me my booking code with about ten minutes to spare. Whew!
    They also handled a stateroom reassignment by email, and a late pax add by phone, very efficiently. Kudos to Vincent and everyone else there.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm

After careful consideration I would say 70000 Tons is the most expensive festival on land or sea , the ratio for what you receive is high cost ratio for the fans , When it is running on certain years at a more efficient level , it is a good festival but still very EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!! There are zero festivals that cost more than this one for what you get , this by far is the biggest financial investment for a short vacation that a person can spend !!!!!!!!!! I can site many examples , this is how it is , everyone is entitled to their own opinion .
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:04 pm

metalforever wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm After careful consideration I would say 70000 Tons is the most expensive festival on land or sea , the ratio for what you receive is high cost ratio for the fans , When it is running on certain years at a more efficient level , it is a good festival but still very EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!! There are zero festivals that cost more than this one for what you get , this by far is the biggest financial investment for a short vacation that a person can spend !!!!!!!!!! I can site many examples , this is how it is , everyone is entitled to their own opinion .
    Yep, very expensive. I pay the premium for these reasons:

1. The bands I want to see are largely from Europe, which we don't get elsewhere. Plane tickets to Europe are also really expensive, and so is staying in Europe.

2. Small venues. I'm not a fan of huge festivals or arena shows.

3. Everyone is there for the full four days, including the performers. No day trippers. That makes the vibe a lot more campy and fun. This might be the most important aspect.

4. Hotel accommodations, pool, hot tub, buffets, bars, EVERYTHING IS RIGHT THERE.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. For me, even though it's crazy expensive (and I bring my fucking kids too, wtf), it's still the best deal because it's pretty well unique.

Do I complain about things, especially the band announcements? Yes I do. But fuck, I don't really care about that. I'll be happy if the rest of the bands are announced via the floating billboard at the beach party.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:07 pm

metalforever wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 am On 70000 tons Facebook , Archon Angel premiered a new song , nothing out of the ordinary I feel , some may like it , to each his own taste . :|
    Finally!
    Between now and sailing, we have 24 bands left to come. Only just getting to know some Archon Angel now. Not much time for the rest to get my ears around. I fly out on Dec 22 and this waiting around for more bands SUCKS!

It's as BORING as cleaning off bat shit from the outside walls of my house!

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:14 pm

With the current amount of stress at work prior to Christmas holidays, let alone planning the holidays themselves, I have forgotten about the missing announcements. They will come for sure
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm

by acidbasement » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:04 pm

metalforever wrote: ↑
    Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:48 pm
    After careful consideration I would say 70000 Tons is the most expensive festival on land or sea , the ratio for what you receive is high cost ratio for the fans , When it is running on certain years at a more efficient level , it is a good festival but still very EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!! There are zero festivals that cost more than this one for what you get , this by far is the biggest financial investment for a short vacation that a person can spend !!!!!!!!!! I can site many examples , this is how it is , everyone is entitled to their own opinion .
    Yep, very expensive. I pay the premium for these reasons:

1. The bands I want to see are largely from Europe, which we don't get elsewhere. Plane tickets to Europe are also really expensive, and so is staying in Europe.

2. Small venues. I'm not a fan of huge festivals or arena shows.

3. Everyone is there for the full four days, including the performers. No day trippers. That makes the vibe a lot more campy and fun. This might be the most important aspect.

4. Hotel accommodations, pool, hot tub, buffets, bars, EVERYTHING IS RIGHT THERE.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. For me, even though it's crazy expensive (and I bring my fucking kids too, wtf), it's still the best deal because it's pretty well unique.

Do I complain about things, especially the band announcements? Yes I do. But fuck, I don't really care about that. I'll be happy if the rest of the bands are announced via the floating billboard at the

You make some very good points and from your personal situations, it makes a great deal of sense what you are saying.
    You make some well thought out points .
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm

by Cardest » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

metalforever wrote: ↑
    Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm
    On 70000 tons Facebook , Archon Angel premiered a new song , nothing out of the ordinary I feel , some may like it , to each his own taste . :|
    Finally!
    Between now and sailing, we have 24 bands left to come. Only just getting to know some Archon Angel now. Not much time for the rest to get my ears around. I fly out on Dec 22 and this waiting around for more bands SUCKS!

It's as BORING as cleaning off bat shit from the outside walls of my house!

It seems you have along exciting trip to look forward to , safe travels !
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm

On the lighter side of things , I will have to phrase this carefully to be politically correct LOL!
    The December pool girl is easy on the eyes ! :bmhorns:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Dude, I don’t know what you’re doing with the Quote button, but you’re using it wrong :lol:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 pm

Godflesh wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm 34 days and 24 bands left.
    For comparison, here's when previous droughts ended:
    2019 37 days to go 22 bands
    2018 28 days to go 16 bands
    2017 42 days to go 23 bands
    2016 36 days to go 20 bands
    2015 36 days to go 30 bands

In 7 days, if nothing happens, we'll have beaten the record for the latest end of announcement drought on the Independence, while being the second year with the most bands left to announce at that time.
    5 days left before we hit rock bottom.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Godflesh wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 pm Dude, I don’t know what you’re doing with the Quote button, but you’re using it wrong :lol:
    thanks for letting me know , my mistake .
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

by clegane » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 am

cholernik wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:08 pm
    clegane wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm

That's what I'm saying. imagine any other festival doing this. the UMC crew does this because, for some reason, they get away with it. After this year they might change something. I highly doubt that though. I bet andy would rather end this thing than turn it over to someone else or a company. I hope not. All I'm really asking for is that band announcements come sooner and more often. I get it, this always happens, and this is how they do things...but again... it's stupid.
    But what for?
    What is their advantage in late announcements? Is it because of the interest rate on the bank or what?
    I don´t understand this weird tactic, not to tell consuments what they are buying!
    1 or 2 surprise acts are okay. But why are we not allowed to know which bands we are goin to see on the festival?
    I think this will be our last cruise...! Just 4 or 5 interesting bands so far and the uncertainty whats to come in the second half...!
    Wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Infernal Majesty, Meliah Rage,Toranaga, Evildead, Triptykon, Brutality, Massacre, Dismember, Flotsam a Jetsam, Protector, Razor, Helstar, Omen, Running Wild, Vltimas, Lik, Sorcery (SWE), Attacker

Survivor:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:01 am

clegane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 am
    But what for?
    What is their advantage in late announcements? Is it because of the interest rate on the bank or what?
    I know right? WHAT A WEIRD WAY TO DO BUSINESS!!

"I know what I'm gonna do, instead of announcing stuff and opening sales in February when the post cruise hype is at its peak, taking millions of dollars from my 3,000 customers, guaranteeing a sold out cruise, and putting that money it into my bank to earn interest or investing it, i'm going to let them all hold onto that money for the next 9 months, becoming bitter about the lack of news, having heaps of previously loyal customers drop out, and ending up with only 3/4 of cabins filled"

If I was an investor in that company? Damn I'd be pissed :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:55 am

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:01 am
    But what for?

"I know what I'm gonna do, instead of announcing stuff and opening sales in February when the post cruise hype is at its peak, taking millions of dollars from my 3,000 customers, guaranteeing a sold out cruise, and putting that money it into my bank to earn interest or investing it, i'm going to let them all hold onto that money for the next 9 months, becoming bitter about the lack of news, having heaps of previously loyal customers drop out, and ending up with only 3/4 of cabins filled"

So much this.
    Even a serial procrastinator should have some investor or someone tell them at some point: “dude, smh, wtf?”
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:42 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:55 am
    But what for?

So much this.
    Even a serial procrastinator should have some investor or someone tell them at some point: “dude, smh, wtf?”
    without 70000 tons having transparency, there are important pieces of the puzzle that are not available to the fans of important things the company keeps private that factor into their decision making .
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:59 am

Got a call from 70k regarding my passenger--which is ME!.. funny thing the area code was Miami.

30 days til I am in FLL!

Hollywood Brewery BEWARE!!!
    :beerwink:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

by clegane » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am

But what for?

Maybe there is no more money for further bands cause of the lack of customers...!? :mrgreen:

Survivor:
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:26 am

clegane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:00 am
    But what for?

Maybe there is no more money for further bands cause of the lack of customers...!? :mrgreen:
    if there is no money to pay the bands maybe Andy is driving around the cities visiting homeless shelters etc... hey buddy can you hold a microphone drumming up bands , we can give you a free ride on the big boat and we will feed you for payment and we will validate your parking if you ever can afford a car , please do not take this post too serious , I am just having a little fun . :stagger:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm

clegane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 amBut what for?
    I don´t understand this weird tactic, not to tell consuments what they are buying!
    1 or 2 surprise acts are okay. But why are we not allowed to know which bands we are goin to see on the festival?
    Don't worry. No-one else here understands Andy's tactics either. :lol:

I've spent some "quality time" on the phone with A Different, More Up-front Festival Promoter trying to figure out WHY 70K and Andy do things the way they do.
    Our conclusion (drum roll): It doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever. :evil:
    --And this was BEFORE the craziness of this past summer, the LATE start for 2020 announcements -- even later than 70K's normal foolishness -- and Andy's reported illness.

The tl;dr: It seriously makes no fucking sense at all. :lol:
    acidbasement wrote: Do I complain about things, especially the band announcements? Yes I do. But fuck, I don't really care about that. I'll be happy if the rest of the bands are announced via the floating billboard at the beach party.

Oh dear gods, don't give the Skipper any ideas!
    2025 Wishlist:
  • BearWithNoName
    Oiler

by BearWithNoName » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 pm

I just watched this video and it had me laughing my ass off, I thought I should share it to bring some joy to the thread:

https://youtu.be/HS9_p7zNASQ

edit: typo
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:37 am

Exhumed , is today the day they are announced !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shred:
    One can only hope , would be a nice way to close out the week !!!!!!!!!!!
    wink wink Andy
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 am

this is the discography of EXHUMED ,all great albums

Albums
    Gore Metal (1998)
    Slaughtercult (2000)
    Anatomy Is Destiny (2003)
    Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated (2005)
    All Guts, No Glory (2011)
    Necrocracy (2013)
    Gore Metal: A Necrospective (2015)
    Death Revenge (2017)
    Horror (2019)
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am

exhumed would be sweet, mainly because they're touring (or did that tour just end) with gatecreeper, and I still have my hopes up that gatecreeper will be on the cruise.
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 am

cholernik wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:50 am exhumed would be sweet, mainly because they're touring (or did that tour just end) with gatecreeper, and I still have my hopes up that gatecreeper will be on the cruise.

Gatecreeper would be excellent , the new album is great !!!!!!!!!! :3drunks:
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Ah yeah, guys, I would LOVE it to be Exhumed.

I have not seen them live since they did a small boat around Sydney Harbor in 2003 (I think it was).
    So it's been ages since. That would be tops!

I hope we get a band announcement this weekend. After the GIANT let down of Cruachan going for
    that....ughh female vocalist - I am in a very foul mood now. What a huge turn off.
    Pathetic.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
Post Reply 2037 posts