Locked 12 posts Page 1 of 1
Bands you'd not heard pre 70000 Tons
    cowboy71
    Commander

Bands you'd not heard pre 70000 Tons

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Have been familiarising myself with some stuff by bands I'd not listened to (or in some cases never even heard of) prior to this cruise.

And I fucking love some of it. Which lead me to thinking, what bands have you discovered thanks to this cruise?

Amon Amarth - only heard a song or two previously, now after listening I'll be trying to see them twice on the cruise!
    Korpiklaani - never listened to them at all before. As above, I'll see them twice if I can
    Tyr - same as Korpiklaani, never listened to a song of theirs. But damn I like them now!!
    Sabaton - had not even heard of them. Like what I've heard - will see them once or twice.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Bands you'd not heard pre 70000 Tons

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I've heard just about every band that is on the cruise, except for Cripper and Sabaton. The Sabaton thing seems a little odd because by the posts I've been reading, they are pretty well known, so I'm surprised I've never heard them before. From what I've been listening to, they sound pretty good, so it'll be nice to see a band I don't know much about.

Cowboy, I think you will love seeing Korpiklaani and Amon Amarth as both put on excellent shows and the crowds for those bands tend to be tons of fun (but what metal crowds aren't?) I do really like Tyr, but in my opinion they are kind of boring live.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Epica - Heard of 'em but never heard 'em. My cabinmate is a HUGE Epica fan so I checked them out and like them so far.
    Witchburner - Never even heard of 'em and checked them out on youtube, they RRRRRRRIP!!!! :headbanger:
    Cripper - Fairly decent, I think I'll give 'em a chance and maybe mosh a little to give my support.
    Gamma Ray - Was not happy initially, then listened with an open mind (hoping for the best) and liked. I may check 'em out... might as well since I probably won't see them state-side again.
    Agent Steel, Rage, Raven, Sabaton, Saxon - No thanks.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Interesting that Tyr are dull live - maybe I'll just see them once to see for myself providing they don't clash with someone better hehe.

And slaytanic, Gamma Ray have an awesome catalog of tunes and are ripping good fun live. Kai Hansen is an incredible guitarist and a wonderful personality. Cannot wait to see them on the cruise!!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:58 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Interesting that Tyr are dull live - maybe I'll just see them once to see for myself providing they don't clash with someone better hehe.

And slaytanic, Gamma Ray have an awesome catalog of tunes and are ripping good fun live. Kai Hansen is an incredible guitarist and a wonderful personality. Cannot wait to see them on the cruise!!!

They could've been having bad nights when I've seen them (twice). I'm willing to give them another try on the cruise, granted as you said that they don't clash with someone better. I think the most difficult thing to do will be to schedule out exactly when and where I need to be over the five days. I can picture the masses running/stumbling to and from the different stages to make it in time to catch their next band. Hopefully not too many cuts will have to be made, but with this lineup, I unfortunately see it happening even with the rotating schedules.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Epica - Heard of 'em but never heard 'em. My cabinmate is a HUGE Epica fan so I checked them out and like them so far.
    Witchburner - Never even heard of 'em and checked them out on youtube, they RRRRRRRIP!!!! :headbanger:
    Cripper - Fairly decent, I think I'll give 'em a chance and maybe mosh a little to give my support.
    Gamma Ray - Was not happy initially, then listened with an open mind (hoping for the best) and liked. I may check 'em out... might as well since I probably won't see them state-side again.

??? You named most of the bands I am going for. Who are you on the boat for?
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:
    SlaytanicE21 wrote:Epica - Heard of 'em but never heard 'em. My cabinmate is a HUGE Epica fan so I checked them out and like them so far.

Amon Amarth, Moonspell, Marduk, Unleashed, Fear Factory, Obituary, Testament, Exodus, Sodom, Iced Earth, Nevermore.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:35 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:

Amon Amarth, Moonspell, Marduk, Unleashed, Fear Factory, Obituary, Testament, Exodus, Sodom, Iced Earth, Nevermore.

your not excited about Agent Steel? IMO, agent steel > testament and exodus.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:your not excited about Agent Steel? IMO, agent steel > testament and exodus.

Key word (or letter) in that statement is the O for opinion. It boggles my mind how subjective musical tastes are. In the thread where people folks were ranking the bands it never ceased to amaze me how someone would have one of my top bands near the top of their list and another near the bottom. Just goes to show us how things that seem quite simple on one hand can be anything but black n' white on the other. :?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:your not excited about Agent Steel? IMO, agent steel > testament and exodus.

Key word (or letter) in that statement is the O for opinion. It boggles my mind how subjective musical tastes are. In the thread where people folks were ranking the bands it never ceased to amaze me how someone would have one of my top bands near the top of their list and another near the bottom. Just goes to show us how things that seem quite simple on one hand can be anything but black n' white on the other. :?

I totally understand its opinion, that why i was just curious as to what he didn't like in particular. I mean, testament exodus and agent steel could totally be in the same boat - especially in their earlier days. Just wanted to see what his opinion was :beerwink:

Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Heabymetawhunta wrote:I totally understand its opinion, that why i was just curious as to what he didn't like in particular. I mean, testament exodus and agent steel could totally be in the same boat - especially in their earlier days. Just wanted to see what his opinion was :beerwink:

They ARE in the same boat, literally! :lol:
    Now seriously, Agent Steel I've never really got into... Testament and Exodus aren't my favorite bands in the world either but I've never seen Testament live. I have a lot of respect for every band on here, so no desrespect meant to Agent Steel or any others, my tastes are just much more to the black/death metal realm, I would much more prefer to see Belphegor, Morbid Angel, or Immortal.
    If I could narrow it down to the bands I REALLY want to see on the cruise, it's basically only Amon Amarth, Moonspell, Fear Factory, and Unleashed. I'm still holding out for Immortal and Opeth though. :|
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:
    Heabymetawhunta wrote:I totally understand its opinion, that why i was just curious as to what he didn't like in particular. I mean, testament exodus and agent steel could totally be in the same boat - especially in their earlier days. Just wanted to see what his opinion was :beerwink:

They ARE in the same boat, literally! :lol:
    Now seriously, Agent Steel I've never really got into... Testament and Exodus aren't my favorite bands in the world either but I've never seen Testament live. I have a lot of respect for every band on here, so no desrespect meant to Agent Steel or any others, my tastes are just much more to the black/death metal realm, I would much more prefer to see Belphegor, Morbid Angel, or Immortal.
    If I could narrow it down to the bands I REALLY want to see on the cruise, it's basically only Amon Amarth, Moonspell, Fear Factory, and Unleashed. I'm still holding out for Immortal and Opeth though. :|

THATS SOMETHING WE DRINK TO! :heavydrink:

Locked 12 posts Page 1 of 1