Locked 157 posts
Open Mic Night - Details and Songs to Consider?
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

Re: Open Mic Night - Details and Songs to Consider?

by Ecliptica » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 am

soundcurve wrote:Granted if Ecliptica can play "Death In Fire" he can probably fake most of the songs and make it work if he'd be up for that. My cabin buddy might be up for singing some of this stuff but I'd leave that up to him to chime in.

-Mike

Fake-it-til-you-make-it sounds like a decent idea for this. I'm not going to lie, I really don't listen to any of the Big 4 or any of the classic metal type stuff but, you're right, most of the drum parts are so straight-forward that no one would care if it's improvised.

I did see that Ensiferum and Kamelot were added to the potential "setlist". Ensiferum, without a doubt, I can play. The Kamelot stuff is a little more difficult and, without a kit to practice on for the next month and a half, it'd be tough to just figure out mentally.

My cabinmate is also a drummer and, while he's only been playing a few years, he's actually pretty good. Not sure what he knows and what he doesn't though; we both listen to a lot of power metal :cool:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:04 am

i can play rhythm guitar, bass, or sing a lot of megadeth tunes (sweating bullets, symphony of destruction, tornado of souls possibly)- if an instrument as such is missing count me in. sure could bust out some old metallica too and can play a few testament songs on bass.

can play Breaking the Law, Wasted Years, Seasons in the Abyss on guitar or bass and/or vocals. i don't know a lot of songs start to finish i'm more of a "key riff" kind of player but can maybe learn a tune or two for the sake of jamming (plus reminding naysayers that chicks can shred metal guitar, there are SO woefully few female guitarists). i have a Jackson Rhodes Pro neck-thru V that i am NOT bringing on the cruise LOL.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 am

rhiawiz wrote: Seasons in the Abyss on guitar or bass and/or vocals

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!! I KNOW THAT BY FUCKING HEART!!!!
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:18 am

asmegin wrote:

I love that song but can only play the rhythms, not the leads.... I'll just spectate on this one :cry:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:20 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    asmegin wrote:

I love that song but can only play the rhythms, not the leads.... I'll just spectate on this one :cry:

the "leads" in that song are a damn mess, anyone can play them just shred around randomly with some off-sounding bends in there and you got it.
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:27 am

rhiawiz wrote:
    the "leads" in that song are a damn mess, anyone can play them just shred around randomly with some off-sounding bends in there and you got it.

I know jeffs leads very well. Kerry's isn't so bad, I just need a lot of delay.

Hell, I know the drums pretty damn well too!
    Cabin # 6072
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 am

asmegin wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:

I know jeffs leads very well. Kerry's isn't so bad, I just need a lot of delay.

Hell, I know the drums pretty damn well too!

yeah jeff's leads are more discernible for sure.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

rhiawiz wrote:the "leads" in that song are a damn mess, anyone can play them just shred around randomly with some off-sounding bends in there and you got it.

Easy for you to say! :P

Did you happen to read the parts of the thread where I said I was no shredder, that the only note for note solos I know are from Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and The Eagles (okay, I've added 2 since then but they're very weak Metallica and Maiden solos) or where I said that, just maybe, if the workshops are given by an amazing guitarist/teacher, I might discover my inner shredder? :shred: :headbanger:

Trust me, you don't want to hear my improv shredding. I can pick fast but my left hand just wasn't built for speed. I'm sure you'd get more enjoyment if asmegin did the picking hand and viathyn jake did the fretboard, both with eyes closed and earplugs in even :lol:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 am

rhiawiz wrote:i can play rhythm guitar, bass, or sing a lot of megadeth tunes (sweating bullets, symphony of destruction, tornado of souls possibly)- if an instrument as such is missing count me in. sure could bust out some old metallica too and can play a few testament songs on bass.

can play Breaking the Law, Wasted Years, Seasons in the Abyss on guitar or bass and/or vocals.

Okay, got ya down for those Megadeth tunes and the Priest, Maiden and Slayer ones. Just name any specific Metallica songs you want your name attached to and I'll get on it asap. I may just have to hound you on that whole 'start to finish' thing though. Wouldn't want ya bustin' into the chorus of Motorbreath half way through Breakin' the Law :?

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:the "leads" in that song are a damn mess, anyone can play them just shred around randomly with some off-sounding bends in there and you got it.

Easy for you to say! :P

Did you happen to read the parts of the thread where I said I was no shredder, that the only note for note solos I know are from Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and The Eagles (okay, I've added 2 since then but they're very weak Metallica and Maiden solos) or where I said that, just maybe, if the workshops are given by an amazing guitarist/teacher, I might discover my inner shredder? :shred: :headbanger:

Trust me, you don't want to hear my improv shredding. I can pick fast but my left hand just wasn't built for speed. I'm sure you'd get more enjoyment if asmegin did the picking hand and viathyn jake did the fretboard, both with eyes closed and earplugs in even :lol:

LOL i don't really know many leads either. The beginning of One, some Queensryche solos, the solo to Walk like an Egyptian and I Love Rock N Roll, HAHAH!. i did a Testament solo or two when i was 16 and was more dedicated (and back then i thought i sucked, oh please i wish i was still in that kind of solo shape!!!). my left hand fails me too! :shred: :shred:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:i can play rhythm guitar, bass, or sing a lot of megadeth tunes (sweating bullets, symphony of destruction, tornado of souls possibly)- if an instrument as such is missing count me in. sure could bust out some old metallica too and can play a few testament songs on bass.

can play Breaking the Law, Wasted Years, Seasons in the Abyss on guitar or bass and/or vocals.

Okay, got ya down for those Megadeth tunes and the Priest, Maiden and Slayer ones. Just name any specific Metallica songs you want your name attached to and I'll get on it asap. I may just have to hound you on that whole 'start to finish' thing though. Wouldn't want ya bustin' into the chorus of Motorbreath half way through Breakin' the Law :?

and when it gets closer i hope to know whether i'd be doing bass or rhythm guitar for any of the songs so i can brush up real quick, and printed lyric sheets in case i am singing so i don't forget anything on stage and BOMB.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:51 pm

rhiawiz wrote:and when it gets closer i hope to know whether i'd be doing bass or rhythm guitar for any of the songs so i can brush up real quick, and printed lyric sheets in case i am singing so i don't forget anything on stage and BOMB.

Yep, I'll be shedding the fat on that list in no more than a couple weeks and making things as specific as I can for everyone. You'll have to print up your own lyric sheets though (I think that's what you meant anyways but just wanted to be sure ;))

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:and when it gets closer i hope to know whether i'd be doing bass or rhythm guitar for any of the songs so i can brush up real quick, and printed lyric sheets in case i am singing so i don't forget anything on stage and BOMB.

Yep, I'll be shedding the fat on that list in no more than a couple weeks and making things as specific as I can for everyone. You'll have to print up your own lyric sheets though (I think that's what you meant anyways but just wanted to be sure ;))

oh yeah, i'll come with a folder with lyrics printed out if needed.
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

oh yeah, i'll come with a folder with lyrics printed out if needed.

Make sure to use death metal style fonts! :lol:
    Cabin # 6072
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

asmegin wrote:Make sure to use death metal style fonts! :lol:

HAHAH i particularly love the font used here. IMPOSSIBLE TO READ! anyone know this one LOL?

asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:37 pm

rhiawiz wrote:
    asmegin wrote:Make sure to use death metal style fonts! :lol:

HAHAH i particularly love the font used here. IMPOSSIBLE TO READ! anyone know this one LOL?

It almost looks like it says Cattle Decapitation, but it isn't lol.
    Cabin # 6072
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:39 pm

asmegin wrote:It almost looks like it says Cattle Decapitation, but it isn't lol.

Not a bad guess. Circle of Dead Children!
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm

One other suggestion penguin.

think about how amazing a collaboration of the 70k tons forum folk would be doing the epic
    Hallowed be thy name
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Anyone wanna play some Pantera with me?
    I'll even throw down the vocals on any of the classic metal, as long as my voice is still holding up after Raven plays.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Ok I thought about it a bit more and here are songs I think a lot of people would know and would be fun for the musicians and the crowd alike (lots of gang vox and yelling):

Jailbreak - thin lizzy
    Breakin the law, got another thing comin - priest
    Wasted years, trooper - maiden
    Sweating bullets, peace sells - megadeth
    Elimination - overkill
    Raining blood, seasons, south of heaven - slayer
    One - metallica (ya I went there and who knows what else)
    Kings of metal or metal warriors - manowar
    Balls to the wall - accept

I am personally up for partaking in many of these as needed.
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:03 pm

I can sing a few song, but don't throw me shit if i'm not that good, just pay me an another beer to try again :P
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:24 pm

70000tons GEAR:

Allison gave me a call today and told me that they'll have more specifics on gear closer to the weeks of the cruise.

rhiawiz wrote:Ok I thought about it a bit more and here are songs I think a lot of people would know and would be fun for the musicians and the crowd alike (lots of gang vox and yelling):

Jailbreak - thin lizzy
    Elimination - overkill

I'll do seasons, raining blood, south of heaven, breakin the law, got another thing coming and balls to the wall
    Cabin # 6072
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:26 pm

We should all just be ready to play some old classics. Keep in mind, chances are some of the musicians from the bands on board might wanna join in, and everyone knows the old classics. The maidens, priests, megadeths, metallicas, etc....

So those are your best bet for anyone who would want a chance to participate.

I was thinking of taking a simple song like Smoke on the Water and have people come up on stage, either sing to it, or solo over the rythm. Keep a rotation of guitar, bass, drum, etc.. players and have some fun with it. Easy songs that most people know always make for a great jam.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Sweet Child O' Mine huh? Count me in for vox. :shock:

Yes... It can be done. (Duet even?) :party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPeFeP0cWV8
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Evican wrote:Sweet Child O' Mine huh? Count me in for vox. :shock:

Yes... It can be done. (Duet even?) :party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPeFeP0cWV8

when that song bombs, man does it ever BOMB. ack. i have never once heard it covered well, but leave it to someone on this cruise to pull it off i guess.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 am

bumped to end of thread for easy reference
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:17 am

that is good of you to be democratic pengy, but i wouldnt mind you doing a big paring down of that list using your metallic expertise and then we can sorta vote on the rest - list is too long now. i nominate you for that! any seconds?

i will help if you like. as someone who's played in cover bands i try to think of the crowd too when putting a set together.
    ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:07 pm

rhiawiz wrote:Ok I thought about it a bit more and here are songs I think a lot of people would know and would be fun for the musicians and the crowd alike (lots of gang vox and yelling):

Jailbreak - thin lizzy
    Elimination - overkill

I can actually play most of the ones here minus manowar and overkill but im sure those would be pretty easy to learn.
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 pm

on top of the previously posted songs that im included on you can also put me down for the following already posted:

seek & destroy
    rainbow in the dark
    balls to the wall (i can play love child and a few others too)
    wasted years
    jailbreak
    run to the hills
    2 minutes to midnight (love to play that one)
    rock you like a hurricane

also, for this to work, who is going to be providing instruments? bring our own?
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 pm

rhiawiz wrote:that is good of you to be democratic pengy, but i wouldnt mind you doing a big paring down of that list using your metallic expertise and then we can sorta vote on the rest - list is too long now. i nominate you for that! any seconds?

i will help if you like. as someone who's played in cover bands i try to think of the crowd too when putting a set together.

I am pretty sure he is going to widdle this down, but for the sake of what is realistic you are right, you can remove my "obscure" stuff since I doubt anyone is going to know it and wouldn't be that fun for people with one guy just jacking out a song that no one knows. I mean, I love that stuff but eh I am down for a good time on some classics. Seems like more people know the classics and the big 4 stuff. A plus there is not a lot of deviation in tuning (good for the person trying to sing it)

From those anything from Black Sabbath (ozzy years), Megadeth, Sepultura, and Slayer I am cool with. Metallica is fine too. Anthrax, meh, Black Lodge? hehe. Again the only thing I need to wait for is that a left handed guitar will be there otherwise I can do the easy stuff on drums if need be.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:that is good of you to be democratic pengy, but i wouldnt mind you doing a big paring down of that list using your metallic expertise and then we can sorta vote on the rest - list is too long now. i nominate you for that! any seconds?

I am pretty sure he is going to widdle this down, but for the sake of what is realistic you are right, you can remove my "obscure" stuff since I doubt anyone is going to know it and wouldn't be that fun for people with one guy just jacking out a song that no one knows. I mean, I love that stuff but eh I am down for a good time on some classics. Seems like more people know the classics and the big 4 stuff. A plus there is not a lot of deviation in tuning (good for the person trying to sing it)

From those anything from Black Sabbath (ozzy years), Megadeth, Sepultura, and Slayer I am cool with. Metallica is fine too. Anthrax, meh, Black Lodge? hehe. Again the only thing I need to wait for is that a left handed guitar will be there otherwise I can do the easy stuff on drums if need be.

sounds great to me man! glad you're on board.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Your input will be most welcomed when the paring down begins but plz be patient. Contrary to popular belief (and evidence), I actually have something of a life away from these boards and can't be at the computer 24/7 :P

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:22 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:

Your input will be most welcomed when the paring down begins but plz be patient. Contrary to popular belief (and evidence), I actually have something of a life away from these boards and can't be at the computer 24/7 :P

meee toooo! a busy one. not trying to imply otherwise man sorry! just keepin' the discussion' goin and trying to rally the troop(er)s
  • SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Instrument on Death in fire would be vocals :P Dunno how many beers I´ve squeeze down in my face and "sing" death in fire, But if this would be on the setlist i will be damn happy, I here now Promise that Johan Hegg will be impressed. Remember you saw it here first =)
    http://parethardrock.se/

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Motorhead, Vader, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Immortal, Xandria, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 am

soundcurve wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:...('And', Jack Handey says, 'That's... O K')

Haha, well said Jack Handey.

Thanks to a rhiawiz comment in another thread, I just realized that I should've been quoting Stuart Smalley, not Jack Handey :lol:

• SatansWrath
    Chief Petty Officer

by SatansWrath » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:42 am

Forgot to say that Illbuy you at least one or two beers if I see Amon Amarth on the setlist for the cruise Shoreslayer, already starting practising again on death in fire haha:)
    http://parethardrock.se/

Pissed of whishlist for the cruises:
    Turisas, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Dalriada, Motorhead, Vader, Arch Enemy, Abinchova, Northland, Sear Bliss, Watain, Slayer, Raubtier, Immortal, Xandria, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Running Wild
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 am

SatansWrath wrote:Forgot to say that Illbuy you at least one or two beers if I see Amon Amarth on the setlist for the cruise Shoreslayer, already starting practising again on death in fire haha:)

Already there at the top of the list! Whether anyone volunteers to play guitar and bass on it for ya is another matter outside of my control. I hope it's okay to re-gift drinks as I've probably already been offered enough to intoxicate a small army and I won't be drinkin any of it :lol:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:04 am

soundcurve wrote:

Yeah, I'm just leaving the obscure stuff up for the first couple weeks so others who might happen to know them can chime in but I start another week off of work next weekend and will then begin to slice it down to just songs that we have ppl to attach to.

For now though, keep the ideas comin'!! :headbanger:

Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 am

The song stars from hear 'n aid could be nice, give a chance for a lot of guys to come and sing a part and shred a bit! I could do the rhythm part!

And i'm in for grave digger - heavy metal breakdown on guitar and to sing if no one else can do it!
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Wicker Man wrote:The song stars from hear 'n aid could be nice, give a chance for a lot of guys to come and sing a part and shred a bit! I could do the rhythm part!

And i'm in for grave digger - heavy metal breakdown on guitar and to sing if no one else can do it!

If you know someone that pull off Tates part .... :shock:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
Locked 157 posts