Post Reply 154 posts
Classic Rock!!
  • Laura
    Commander

Classic Rock!!

by Laura » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 am

Thought I'd start a Classic Rock thread (long overdue!) - since I don't want to keep derailing other threads! :oops: :P (especially the Gig thread and others on the Engine Room forum) Although I suppose there are different definitions of what "Classic Rock" is - I'm thinking of the time period from roughly the mid-late 1960s to early 1980s. This was the majority of the music I grew up with, so it had a huge influence on my developing musical taste. There were many years (mid-80s to mid 00's - sheesh - 20 or so years!) that I didn't listen much to any of my "old" music, but since I started listening to metal bands like Opeth for the first time about 7.5 years ago, I've been revisiting many of my old "Classic Rock" favorites and have a whole new appreciation for them. Because I love so many metal bands now, I like to make comparisons to those rock & hard-rock bands of my youth - certainly there are many differences, yet I do see similarities in many cases that I enjoy discovering.

Anyway.... I copied the below from the Gig Thread because better to ramble on here. Ha - this started because I was curious about the band Avantasia who was mentioned for at least the 1000th time :P on these forums (who I'd not ever listened to) and Michael D linked a video of them featuring Klaus Meine :shock: (who knew? :lol: )...I was a huge fan of Meine in his early days with Scorpions (which btw - I always considered Scorpions a "hard rock" band, yet I guess many consider them a metal band as well).

Michael D. wrote:
    Laura wrote:Thanks for all the Avantasia links everyone! Haven't gotten to them yet except for the one that Michael D linked - which btw, I liked very much - but that may very well be because Klaus Meine of Scorpions is featured and anything with him in it is pure gold to me. Klaus is one of but a dozen or so vocalists of the classic rock era who I hold in highest esteem for both their unique voice and the vocal power they possess(ed) to project to the 50,000+ "arena rock" crowds then & now....a few others who come to mind off the top of my head are Freddie Mercury (Queen), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) Lou Gramm (Foreigner), Jon Anderson (Yes), Steve Perry (Journey), Brad Delp (Boston), Phil Mogg (UFO), Geddy Lee (Rush), Tommy Shaw & Dennis DeYoung (Styx), Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones) & Bon Scott (AC/DC). I saw many of them pre-1983 (with the exception of Scott, Meine, & Delp) and all were/are amazing to me!
    :beerbang:

:D :D :D
    I like your classic rock vocalists list.
    Does Mickey Thomas fall into your list?
    http://youtu.be/0PwG69620WA

and, I just had to send this one your way because it was so strange when it first came out and at least up around here nobody could really believe he would have recorded such a song.
    http://youtu.be/wlvMXkW9F9A
    :D ;)

Mickey Thomas is great in particular song, but as far as Jefferson Starship goes, my favorite album of theirs is/was Red Octopus (1975) and my favorite JS vocal performance would have to go to Marty Balin singing the soft rock song Miracles. (and come to think of it - a perfect Valentine's Day song!!)

Regarding Jon Anderson &Vangelis - this is so awesome that you reminded me of that collaboration because even though I was/am a huge Yes fan forever - I've never listened to Jon's work with Vangelis (was vaguely aware of it though). Will definitely check it out....soon!

And for now....I leave this thread with this....
    Scorpions: Can't Get Enough (live in 1983 but the song is from the album Lovedrive released in early 1979 that I listened to a gazillion times)
    I'd never seen this particular live performance before - this is INSANELY AWESOME!!! :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
    http://youtu.be/HeeJv3CFh10
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Classic Rock!!

by Stained Class » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 am

I love Uli era Scorpions (well, all Scorpions, but especially Uli era). Triumph is awesome. The Eagles are sweet (obviously) and of course Thin Lizzy are amazing. Thin Lizzy was kindof a bridge between classic rock and metal, I always considered them classic rock but a huge influence on metal.
    Last edited by Stained Class on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks Laura, and nice video of the Scorpions from the US Festival. :D
    My fellow Hard Rock/Metal Head co-worker is actually originally from San Bernardino which was not very far from the festival and he said he would have liked to gone but NOT at the season they had picked and not in that area for it got very hot, very little water, and it was just insane. The festival goers had stopped traffic on the freeway by using it for a parking lot.
    This was the tune that got me into the Scorpions.
    http://youtu.be/uo0zKSO52L4

I’ll try to use videos from those eras if YouTube has any good ones.
    You may like this one from ’84.
    http://youtu.be/qiHUTUKi5hA

Thanks for the HIM recommendation but I don’t see him as Heavy Metal other than the Goth look. His band to me is more hard rock to me. I had picked up XX and Digital Versatile Doom. Very good DVD.
    Also, thanks for derailing the Gig History with Foreigner. That was fun and I’m still at times re-visiting Foreigner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Stained Glass, I never really followed Thin Lizzy until David Coverdale hired John Sykes into Whitesnake and if you ever really wondered how much influence John had in the self-titled Whitesnake from 1987 pick up John Sykes “Bad Boys Live” CD (Blue Murder also a good choice) and give it a good listen. It is amazing who much Sykes and Coverdale sounded alike at that time.
    http://youtu.be/o6swzNRmKzk
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Oops, I forgot to give this one for Laura since it is Valentines Days and she mention Marty Balin. ;) :D
    http://youtu.be/tf2UhQ92xsE
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm

you know me... rush, triumph, styx, kansas, boston, foreigner, led zep, april wine, foghat, kiss, angel, scorpions, u.f.o, journey, cheap trick, frank marino and mahogany rush, robin trower, jeff beck, skynyrd, and 40 or so others. :)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:13 pm

The Beatles, Rush, Styx, Pink Floyd, Journey, Loverboy, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, The Cars, Genesis, The Who, Zepplin, Queen, Procol Harum, Uriah Heap, Rainbow, AD/DC, Scorpions, The Ramones, Joan Jett, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benetar, Blondie, The Grateful Dead, Aerosmith, Allman Brothers, BTO, The Guess Who, Bon Jovi, Cream, Clapton, The Yardbirds, Hendrix, Dr. Hook (On the cover of the rolling stone!!), Lynard Skynard, The Outlaws, Kansas, Elton John, Billy Joel (Still puts on one hell of a live show), Jethro Tull, The Eagles, CCR, REO Speedwagon, (Pre "Smooth") Santana, Steppenwolf, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, Thin Lizzy.

That's all i can think of at the moment. I used to hate the music my mom would listen to in the car now along with metal it is a huge part of my life.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Laura, in our era growing up in our home town here in Chicago in the prime classic rock era, both The Scorpions and UFO were hugely popular here in Chicago, probably more so here than anywhere else in the world (outside of their home bases), Michael Schenker in particular. Thats why UFO recorded their live album Strangers In the Night here and I still think that is the best live album ever. To this day they are my favorite band (for the era Schenker was in it), largely because of this album. Im biased since I was at that concert at the long since torn down Internatinal Amphitheater. Schenker's improvisisational guitar work was absolutely outstanding and I rarely listen to UFO's studio albums anymore since the live album is so much better.

The Live version of Lights Out is my all time favorite song. I love the part where after the song solo Phil sings "LIghts Out .... Chicago" and the crowd erupted. I feel like holding up a lighter to thsi day every time I hear that part.

Scorps best work was with Uli but also, love Lovedrive where Michalel played on a few songs too was killer. Another Piece of Meat is a Great jam as is Loving You Sunday Morning. :death: :death: :death:
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 pm

My first date was a Classic Rock concert. It was Blue Oyster Cult and April Wine.

It was me, her and about 50 other people in the whole entire Amphitheater. And we were about 10 rows from the stage so, it was a good show.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am

My first ever concert was A Day At The Park at old Commiskey Park

Concert Bill:
    Aerosmith
    Foreigner
    Mahogany Rush
    Walter Egan & the opening act was some band from Australia that noone had heard of at the time (it was pre internet obviously),
    AC/DC
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 am

Would you consider CCR as classic rock?

Sitting in a shopping centre while wifey is grabbing the groceries and CCR is playing over the intercom :)

John Fogerty has an incredible voice.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 am

cowboy71 wrote:Would you consider CCR as classic rock?

Absolutely!
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 am

Stained Class wrote:... and of course Thin Lizzy are amazing. Thin Lizzy was kindof a bridge between classic rock and metal, I always considered them classic rock but a huge influence on metal.

I saw Thin Lizzy and Def Leppard in Trondheim some years ago. Great concert :D
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 am

70's Scorpions is awesome. I love Fly to the Rainbow, Virgin Killer, In Trance and Taken by Force.
    I grew up listening to Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and The Scorpions. And I still listen quite a lot to them.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 am

Pink Floyd is my favorite band. Ever. I've seen Roger Waters twice (Dark Side of The Moon and The Wall tours, respectively). Pretty much any classic rock band is good for me. Led Zep, Blue Öyster Cult, Deep Purple, Credence Clearwater Revival, ZZ Top, Def Leppard (is that still classic rock?), Aerosmith, AC/DC, Rush, Journey, Kansas, Hendrix, The Who...

The only classic rock band I don't like that much is The Beatles. There I said it.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am

X-Thor wrote:The only classic rock band I don't like that much is The Beatles. There I said it.

Not even a little bit?
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Great responses all - damn, wish I didn't have a ton to do this afternoon - otherwise I'd just write about my favorite classic rock bands the rest of the day! :P

@ Feanorgandalf - love ALL the bands you listed (except for Bon Jovi & Loverboy :P ) and the comment you made about how you used to hate the music your mom played in the car! Ah - the parent/teen car radio wars... I could talk a lot about that! :lol:

@ Behnwilson - agree on all you said about UFO & Scorpions - I saw UFO in 1977 & 1978 and then not again until a few years ago - Phil still sounded awesome I thought. And I love that live version of Lights Out as well where he changes the words from London to Chicago!

@ Michael D - I named several vocalists who I especially like(d) from that era - but there are so many more who were so great & truly unique like David Lee Roth, David Byrne, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey, & David Bowie - all fantastic! However, as much as I love the voices of all of those singers (and many more from other decades), they have all been eclipsed in my view by two Swedes :P : Mikael Akerfeldt & Daniel Gildenlow....they are tied for my favorite vocalists of all time and to think that I only "discovered" them in recent years. This was such a fantastic & unexpected surprise to me after so many years of listening to so many bands & artists since I was a little kid. :cool:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 pm

I remember wanting to go on that classic rock cruise last month before 70K.....what a line up.

http://rocklegendscruise.com/
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 pm

That was on the Liberty of the Sea's. Love me some Pat Travers. Boom Boom Out go the lights !
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Laura wrote:Great responses all - damn, wish I didn't have a ton to do this afternoon - otherwise I'd just write about my favorite classic rock bands the rest of the day! :P

@ Feanorgandalf - love ALL the bands you listed (except for Bon Jovi & Loverboy :P ) and the comment you made about how you used to hate the music your mom played in the car! Ah - the parent/teen car radio wars... I could talk a lot about that! :lol:

@ Behnwilson - agree on all you said about UFO & Scorpions - I saw UFO in 1977 & 1978 and then not again until a few years ago - Phil still sounded awesome I thought. And I love that live version of Lights Out as well where he changes the words from London to Chicago!

@ Michael D - I named several vocalists who I especially like(d) from that era - but there are so many more who were so great & truly unique like David Lee Roth, David Byrne, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey, & David Bowie - all fantastic! However, as much as I love the voices of all of those singers (and many more from other decades), they have all been eclipsed in my view by two Swedes :P : Mikael Akerfeldt & Daniel Gildenlow....they are tied for my favorite vocalists of all time and to think that I only "discovered" them in recent years. This was such a fantastic & unexpected surprise to me after so many years of listening to so many bands & artists since I was a little kid. :cool:

wow you sure went to concerts at a young age for "that era" I went to Heart at a Community College in Central Washington in 1976 when I was 15. Then did not go to another show until Styx and Thin Lizzy in 1978 and then the Cars in 1979 and Kiss in 1979. Most of my classic rock shows were 1980 to 1984 , seen tons !
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Im jealous, I never got to see Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott.

Loved the Jailbreak album. I wore that one out as a Yewt, it had that cool glossy silver album cover.

Me & my brother always cracked up at the cheesy spoken work llyric,
    "Hey you, good looking female!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Im jealous, I never got to see Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott.

Loved the Jailbreak album. I wore that one out as a Yewt, it had that cool glossy silver album cover.

I was so stoned on blonde hash that I cried during Rosalie
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Laura wrote:@ Feanorgandalf - love ALL the bands you listed (except for Bon Jovi & Loverboy :P ) and the comment you made about how you used to hate the music your mom played in the car! Ah - the parent/teen car radio wars... I could talk a lot about that! :lol:

Bon Jovi has a few songs i really like but most of it is pretty poppy for me. Loverboy was a surprise treat when I saw Journey in Nov.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Bon Jovi's first album is excellent.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    Laura wrote:Great responses all - damn, wish I didn't have a ton to do this afternoon - otherwise I'd just write about my favorite classic rock bands the rest of the day! :P

wow you sure went to concerts at a young age for "that era" I went to Heart at a Community College in Central Washington in 1976 when I was 15. Then did not go to another show until Styx and Thin Lizzy in 1978 and then the Cars in 1979 and Kiss in 1979. Most of my classic rock shows were 1980 to 1984 , seen tons !

Well, not too young really - that 1977 UFO gig I mentioned was the first gig I went to with friends only - and I was 16 - in retrospect, I think my parents were so awesome for letting me take the train in from the suburbs with friends at that age - it was one of the events called "Superbowl of Rock" at the Chicago Bears Stadium (Soldier Field) - that one featured Peter Frampton (headliner - that was the time of Frampton Comes Alive! mania) Rick Derringer, Bob Seger, and UFO. Prior to that, my "rock concert" experiences had been with my parents and/or older sister - starting with The Mamas and the Papas (with George Carlin opening) and the Fifth Dimension around 1970, America, Seals & Crofts, and Barry Manilow with my dad when I was 13-14, and Elton John with my sister at the old Chicago Bulls Stadium in 1976. After all that and the first experience I had of being with friends at that Superbowl of Rock - I was HOOKED FOR LIFE!
    Now our older daughter Veronica is turning 16 this year and I told her this is now her time to start going to shows on her own when and if she chooses. (she may do Lollapalooza this summer) :P :headbanger:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Laura wrote:
    TOM CRUISE wrote:

Well, not too young really - that 1977 UFO gig I mentioned was the first gig I went to with friends only - and I was 16 - in retrospect, I think my parents were so awesome for letting me take the train in from the suburbs with friends at that age - it was one of the events called "Superbowl of Rock" at the Chicago Bears Stadium (Soldier Field) - that one featured Peter Frampton (headliner - that was the time of Frampton Comes Alive! mania) Rick Derringer, Bob Seger, and UFO. Prior to that, my "rock concert" experiences had been with my parents and/or older sister - starting with The Mamas and the Papas (with George Carlin opening) and the Fifth Dimension around 1970, America, Seals & Crofts, and Barry Manilow with my dad when I was 13-14, and Elton John with my sister at the old Chicago Bulls Stadium in 1976. After all that and the first experience I had of being with friends at that Superbowl of Rock - I was HOOKED FOR LIFE!
    Now our older daughter Veronica is turning 16 this year and I told her this is now her time to start going to shows on her own when and if she chooses. (she may do Lollapalooza this summer)

Wow yeah my parents were not rock fans but took me to many shows in the early 70s and mid 70's in Reno and Lake Tahoe, Saw Oliva Newton John in 1972, Linda Ronstadt in 1974 and the Carpenters in 1973
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 pm

BehnWilson wrote:Im jealous, I never got to see Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott.

I saw Thin Lizzy twice in the late 70s-1980 - first time at one of those "Day in the Park" fests at the old Comisky Park (White Sox park) with Journey, Santana, Eddie Money and Molly Hatchet, and the second time up at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin - one of many teenage wasteland road trips my friends & I took up there - woot!! :mrgreen: :smoking: :trashdrink:
    Last edited by Laura on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 pm

One band I wish I could have seen in the day were Boston. I did see them in 1993 and was pretty fucking awesome. Sad how Bradley Delp died. He was amazing on the vocals.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm

@ yeah - Scott - my parents were/are primarily classical/opera fans, but they were ok with a lot of the soft rock/folk rock for sure - I remember some of my dad's favorite songs back then were Your Song, Rocket Man & Daniel by Elton John. Can't believe my m & d are now both in their late 70s. If I'm half as good a parent as they've been to me, I will have done alright. ;)

Ooh - and now I gotta sign off for now.
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm

One of my favorite bands for a long time was The Doors. Also, when I saw Enslaved recently, they played Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin and did an incredible job! Nothing like being reminded of how good the classics really are.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:One of my favorite bands for a long time was The Doors. Also, when I saw Enslaved recently, they played Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin and did an incredible job! Nothing like being reminded of how good the classics really are.

I like the cover of The Immigrant Song in The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo also.
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

BehnWilson wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:One of my favorite bands for a long time was The Doors. Also, when I saw Enslaved recently, they played Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin and did an incredible job! Nothing like being reminded of how good the classics really are.

I havent seen that movie, I'll keep my ears open when I finally watch it!
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:

I havent seen that movie, I'll keep my ears open when I finally watch it!

Heres the song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcp9Ysi75f0
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:24 am

Always loved Heart's covers of Led Zep songs (one classic rock band, covering another classic rock band - what could be better?). I really love their version of Battle of Evermore in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShmbjqP3WU

Also, ALICE COOPER. He was my entry into hard rock/metal back in the 70s, listening to my big brothers cassettes. The early material was just awesome.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 am

cowboy71 wrote:Always loved Heart's covers of Led Zep songs (one classic rock band, covering another classic rock band - what could be better?). I really love their version of Battle of Evermore in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShmbjqP3WU

Also, ALICE COOPER. He was my entry into hard rock/metal back in the 70s, listening to my big brothers cassettes. The early material was just awesome.

Heart finally covers Stairway.
    If you have not seen this yet, well worth the watch.
    http://youtu.be/JK_DOJa99oo
    and I thought they did a excellent job with covering The Battle of Evermore. (your video blocked from playing here).
    http://youtu.be/q7DxFQ6FhzQ

I have mentioned this one before but I also recommend Great White's Great Zeppelin. The do an excellent job and well worth the listen.
    Not the best of sound, but...
    http://youtu.be/gC2KaN9FImI
    and another
    http://youtu.be/cjKqIptbclo

As one clasic cover sung by anther classic guy.
    I don't think that Ronnie ever put onto a record of his. I only have a copy from a tribute disc.
    http://youtu.be/UDDXv8b9xwc
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:38 am

cowboy71 wrote:Also, ALICE COOPER. He was my entry into hard rock/metal back in the 70s, listening to my big brothers cassettes. The early material was just awesome.

THANK YOU!

I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread - but I do enjoy reading each and every post...so, keep on posting (and don't leave out Cooper ;) )
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 am

There is a lot of good reading on this page and plenty of material.
    Laura, why did it take you so long to make this thread? :D

@Scott, you big softy with your mention of The Carpenters, Linda Ronstadt, and Olivia Newton-John. Good choices for I have always liked their voices and all are very good song birds.
    Olivia was soooo HOT (still looking good) and Laura, check out her boots. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
    http://youtu.be/oU5t3Ft5JhU

In my youth, my friend use to have a poster of Linda Ronstadt from her Stone Ponies Days or her first record. She really had the IT girl look back in era.
    http://youtu.be/s3Nq48sHF8M

The Carpenters, Karen had one of the best voices to grace ones ears.
    Anther band that I had enjoyed during that era was the Bee Gees (pre disco years).
    My neighbor gave me her stack of records when I was a kid and she was going away to college. Their “Greatest Hits” record and Steppenwolf’s “At Your Birthday Party” were the only two records of her that I had kept.
    http://youtu.be/WwqM-DKXi1Y
    http://youtu.be/6etwZzv4rQ0

@Cowboy71 Yes, CCR is classic rock at least in my opinion. :cool: :cool: :cool:
    http://youtu.be/TS9_ipu9GKw

@Feanorgandalf My friends have said the current tour of Loverboy is really good. I was fan of their music and have a lot of favorite songs but I especially like the first two albums. Loverboy and Get Lucky :cool:
    @Laura, Alpine Valley. Yes, a lot of good shows and bands have played there over the years but for me after Stevie Ray Vaughan’s helicopter crashed there in 1990 right after his show it was never the same for me again. :cry:
    http://youtu.be/QL384z6o6J4

and for Last-Candle, I will try to include Alice. :D

I have to stop and go do something else now, for daylight is a burnin’. ;)
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 am

Disco wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:The only classic rock band I don't like that much is The Beatles. There I said it.

Not even a little bit?

Well, I enjoy their most "popular" songs, but I find The Beatles fans to be (in general) very annoying.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:
    Laura wrote:@ Feanorgandalf - love ALL the bands you listed (except for Bon Jovi & Loverboy :P ) and the comment you made about how you used to hate the music your mom played in the car! Ah - the parent/teen car radio wars... I could talk a lot about that! :lol:

Bon Jovi has a few songs i really like but most of it is pretty poppy for me. Loverboy was a surprise treat when I saw Journey in Nov.

I was in no way putting Bon Jovi & Loverboy down - it's just that compared to all the other bands you listed (who I know & love *very much*), I really hardly know their music at all...in fact I couldn't think of a Loverboy song I even knew (until I youtubed them and saw the video for "Turn me Loose" - and I definitely know that one and it's alright). The :P emoticon was more for the name "Loverboy" which always kinda cracked me up as a band name. As for Bon Jovi - for some reason Jon Bon Jovi never did much for me, as a singer nor as a "personality" - they do have a couple good songs though which I'm forgetting the names of at the moment. My main memory of Jon Bon Jovi is being in a posh nightclub/danceclub in London in 1985 and all of a sudden there was a huge hullaballoo of paparazzi and women squealing in excitement because he had entered the club.... and I was like "Jon who?" :P
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    Disco wrote:

Not even a little bit?

Well, I enjoy their most "popular" songs, but I find The Beatles fans to be (in general) very annoying.

I can understand that. Though they are good, there are other bands that I like more.

I have relatives that would give Beatle merch for Christmas every year. I finally told them "please, no more." :bitch:
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm

The Beatles had some good songs, and their legacy is something we all should be thankful for.

Some consider "Helter Skelter" the first heavy metal song in fact.

And I'm sure back in the day it was great, but I honestly could not sit through a Beatles album now - I'd be bored to tears.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
Post Reply 154 posts