Post Reply 2803 posts
Cheers + BIERS
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Cheers + BIERS

by Memnoch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:00 am

I seem to have forgotten to post how my first beers turned out. Seeing how I only have a couple of bottles of each left, I guess they were drinkable.
    The DIPA (8.5% ~130 IBU) was a bit disappointing to me, but my friends loved it. Need to adjust the hops a bit for the next try to get a bit more citrusy notes in. And I think I'll try and make the next batch with a bit lower ABV. This got people way too drunk way too fast. :lol:
    The black IPA turned out much better (IMO). Really nice roasty taste with a bit of bitter chocolate in the taste. I might try adding some coffee for the next one. Probably fine-tuning the hops as well, but over all this turned out really well. There's definitely a big difference in the taste between my first tasting soon after bottling it and now after, hmm, six or so weeks. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Memnoch wrote:The DIPA (8.5% ~130 IBU) was a bit disappointing to me, but my friends loved it. Need to adjust the hops a bit for the next try to get a bit more citrusy notes in. And I think I'll try and make the next batch with a bit lower ABV. This got people way too drunk way too fast. :lol:

Hahaha omg with an IBU like that I would barf EVERYWHERE :lol: Once something gets beyond like 30 IBU count me out lol. I bet Brian would love the black IPA though!

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Had planned to brew two different Berliner Weisse as well, trying out both sour mash and sour kettle, but might move to another flat soon, if so will postpone those as wella s the planned meads until later this fall.

Mmmm, now that's more my style. Save us some of the Berliners, pretty please? :cheers:

I promised myself I wouldn't, but I gave in and picked up a 4 pack of delicious pie in a bottle. I know its a fruity "chick" beer, but it's hotter than hell in FL right now and blueberries are refreshing, so don't judge me!

And hopefully I'll be having some of the French Toast Double Brown Ale and the Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter on Thursday :belly:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Memnoch wrote:I seem to have forgotten to post how my first beers turned out. Seeing how I only have a couple of bottles of each left, I guess they were drinkable.
    The DIPA (8.5% ~130 IBU) was a bit disappointing to me, but my friends loved it. Need to adjust the hops a bit for the next try to get a bit more citrusy notes in. And I think I'll try and make the next batch with a bit lower ABV. This got people way too drunk way too fast. :lol:
    The black IPA turned out much better (IMO). Really nice roasty taste with a bit of bitter chocolate in the taste. I might try adding some coffee for the next one. Probably fine-tuning the hops as well, but over all this turned out really well. There's definitely a big difference in the taste between my first tasting soon after bottling it and now after, hmm, six or so weeks. :beerwink:

Nice! Youll have a bunch of hit and misses haha. What do hops run you in Finland? Ive been toying around with my old black ipa recipe or a pliney clone but the hops alone will be like $30. Ive been pretty busy here lately. Bottled up my Sage and Basil Saison. Decided against the brett on that one since I like younger fruity brett and theres too many strong flavors and aromas for the brett to come close to peaking through. Will be bottling a rum oaked aged imperial porter soon. Brewed up a Honey Kolsch last week and ill be doing a Smoked Oatmeal Stout in a week or two. Fruit has been pretty cheap here so I picked up a few pounds of raspberries and cherries for use in wild/sours in the future
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:04 pm

American hop pellets go for something like 7 to 10 euros per 100 grams. So, yeah, making an IPA costs a lot.
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:40 pm

mooyagi wrote:Looks like i'll be going here. http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/index2.php?p=fact

We just booked a trip out to washington and oregon and didn't even know about the festival. It just happens to fall during the time we were planning on being in portland! This is fantastic.

This was excellent. It was such a well run event. Lines were short, the price was good and i was able to sample every beer i wanted. There were some real winners in the lineup.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:19 am

Level Up! Reached 1000 unique checkins yesterday in Amsterdam. 1000 different beers is 364 days. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Working Mon-Fri at Poppels next week, then my employment is over, moving on to the Gothenburg based brewery West Coast Bryggeri.

Sweet. Steph told me about you switching. Why are you? Just better opportunity?
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Drinking my first non-smuggled Founders All Day IPA as Founders is now distributed in Nevada :beerbang:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:50 pm

Bottled my second batch of black IPA yesterday. Only 6.3% this time. IBUs are around 150, and I used quite a lot of hops at the end of the boil and for dry-hopping. So a very bitter and hoppy beer.
    Next batch will be a single hop (Centennial) hopped IPA. Probably brewing it on Yule week so it's ready in mid January for my housewarming party. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Bitter bitter bitter! I'd like to try one of your cottonmouth bitter black ipas :lol:

Let's see, for me I've the recently kegged my wheat stout. Tomorrow I'll be transferring a beer to my barrel. Basically its a traditional lambic grainbill fermented with yeast bay melange sour yeast. Adding to my barrel tomorrow with an Omega 'All the Bretts' strain to sit around and age for a year or so. Next weekend I'll brew up some sort of abbey beer. Not sure exactly what yet though.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Filthy hot Sunday afternoon here in Brisbane.

Enjoying a brew from where I grew up with my lunch:

Bridge Road Brewers (Beechworth, Victoria, Australia) Golden Ale.

:givebeer:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Bitter bitter bitter! I'd like to try one of your cottonmouth bitter black ipas :lol:

It turned out quite nice, at least to my liking. I'll bring a bottle or two with me to Miami. :beerwink:

Spent the weekend in Tallinn. Only managed to try about 25 new beers. Lots of porters and stouts and some double/triple IPAs. I've really grown to love coffee porters and luckily that seems to be a trend on the rise in Estonia.
    Wishlist:
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Had a taste of the Spencer Trappist Ale, not bad at all! I need a second (third, fourth...) try, but the first impression was more than OK.
    And I have a Samichlaus in the fridge for this weekend, really curious to check what this strong beer (14%) tastes like.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:00 am

Memnoch wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:Bitter bitter bitter! I'd like to try one of your cottonmouth bitter black ipas :lol:

It turned out quite nice, at least to my liking. I'll bring a bottle or two with me to Miami. :beerwink:

Spent the weekend in Tallinn. Only managed to try about 25 new beers. Lots of porters and stouts and some double/triple IPAs. I've really grown to love coffee porters and luckily that seems to be a trend on the rise in Estonia.

Nice! Yea we won't be in town early this year. Trying to bank vacation days for next year so I think we are driving to ft Lauderdale the night before. Where are you staying before the cruise?

I noticed you had a few beers from the Estonian brewery you gave a couple from. Sounds like good stuff!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:59 am

We're staying on South Beach before the cruise. Maybe we could meet up in the port before broading? We're renting a car for the whole stay, so we're driving to the port. I take it you guys are driving down to Fll?
    Wishlist:
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Yes, we are driving from Ft. L. I'm sure we can coordinate a pre-broad trade at the port :beerwink:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 am

Excellent. Any requests for beers? I guess I could bring something hard to get abroad Finnish beers like Hopping Brewsters' gruit ale?
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:24 am

Memnoch wrote:Excellent. Any requests for beers? I guess I could bring something hard to get abroad Finnish beers like Hopping Brewsters' gruit ale?

Anything would be appreciated since I don't think we can get any Finnish beers at all here. Is that Amorphis one still available?

For styles anything Sour, gose, stout, saison.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:28 am

I'll ask around what people think are good sour beers. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Got a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder from fellow cruiser Markku after his trip to California for Yule and New Year. Bottled on December 21st. And, yes, it is indeed a fine brew. :beerwink:

And I'm slowly starting to recover from the weekend in Berlin. Got to taste some nice hard to get in Europe Stone brews and loads of German and Polish beers. A found out Martin van Drunen isn't an (triple) IPA guy. That really broke Markku's heart. :lol:
    Wishlist:
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:56 am

Pliny :beerbang:

I spent 99% of the entire trip for California Deathfest in search of Pliny and watching Bolzer.

I drank a lot of Pliny (just tapped too!) and Bolzer was awesome (what I remember) :lol:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:48 am

I still haven't had a Pliney. Living on the polar opposite side of the country sucks ass when it comes to distribution. I'm thinking about asking one of the implementers at work if they'd be able to bring a bottle of local stuff from wherever they go.
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:45 am

Monmisreal wrote:I still haven't had a Pliney. Living on the polar opposite side of the country sucks ass when it comes to distribution. I'm thinking about asking one of the implementers at work if they'd be able to bring a bottle of local stuff from wherever they go.

You should totally.

My two favorite IPAs are Pliny and Bells Two Hearted Ale (MI).

Deck ? 2020
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:43 am

A friend of mine who lives in Warsaw, Poland, bought me a bottle of an extremely rare porter called Kormoran Imperium Prunum.
    https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kormoran- ... um/389104/
    It's among the top 50 overall beers on Ratebeer. :beerwink:

I had my housewarming party last weekend, and I made two beers for the event, one West Coast IPA and a mango IPA. Both turned out really nice and seems my friends liked them too because there's none left. The mango one was really good, and I definitely need to brew that again.

And I finally got a can of Surly's version of Todd the Axeman (The Amager version is one of my all-time favourite beers). A friend of mine brought it from the States after their last tour.
    Wishlist:
  • elj4176
    Petty Officer

by elj4176 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 am

Scored 2 bottle of The Abyss (scotch and brandy barrel versions) plus some Bodhi and some White Raja. Not a bad haul.

Kegged both versions of Headbanger NEIPA on Saturday. One batch had 1968 and the other had 1318. Bottled 2 of each just to see the difference.

Brewed 10 gallons of Mic Czech, 1- 2 mic Czech Pils. Name is from Chance Garnetts (formerly of Skeletonwitch) mic check before a show. One batch has 2278 and the other has 2308 just for fun.

That's 2 brew session down in 2017 already.
    Survivor 2016, 2017

pics from 2016
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskFsgBhm
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am

We don't get Russian River down here and I always forget to ask west coast people for some haha.

I'll be doing multiple starfruit beers coming up, stephs friends mom brought a shit ton over. Going to toss a pound and a half into this gallon of 100% Brett beer I've just had sitting around as a way to top off my barrel. Picked up a sour strain from the yeast bay so I'm going to check that out and see if I'll toss a bunch of starfruit into that too. Remainder might go into maybe an IPA? I haven't done one of those in a while haha.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:19 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:You should brew a New England style IPA Ville!
    Screw that awful pith like atringent harsh bitterness, hop juice and drinkability FTW! :beerbang:

I think I'll try a NEIPA for the summer. In the wintertime I prefer the piney notes and bitterness of WCIPAs. That said, damn the Warpigs' Foggy Geezer NEIPA was delicious in their restaurant in Copenhagen on New Year's.
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 am

:beerbang:

Cracked open my Belgian Single the other day. On Saturday I should be bottling my wheat stout variation that is using 80% oak smoked wheat. Interested to see how this one turns out. Sample I pulled is a perfect BBQ beer haha.

I need a normal drinkable beer next so im going to brew up a Czech Pale Lager. Tired of looking at my beers in the fridge and seeing a bunch of weird shit :lol:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

:shock: local homebrew store gave me 19 Omega yeast packs for free today. They are all dated around the 6 month mark and since he knows I like the funky stuff he offered them to me for free haha. Won't turn down a bunch of free Brett and farmhouse strains. Gonna start doing 2-3 packs per starter to just bank any that happen to survive. Should be able to bank a lot though.
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Managed to try about 60 beers since Thursday night and brought back a bunch of stuff too! Soo much stuff we can't get in Florida.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Monmisreal wrote:Managed to try about 60 beers since Thursday night and brought back a bunch of stuff too! Soo much stuff we can't get in Florida.

Sounds like your giant bag of beer made it home in one piece then? :beerbang:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:26 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:Managed to try about 60 beers since Thursday night and brought back a bunch of stuff too! Soo much stuff we can't get in Florida.

Sounds like your giant bag of beer made it home in one piece then? :beerbang:

Yep! 4 bombers and a few cans. Thank you southwestern for the 2 free check in bags! Steph is bringing the lunchbox with even more cans and our crowler :lol: cheers for the beer! Looking forward to trying them.

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Brewed a Stout Porter Saturday and a Saison yesterday :beerbang:

How's it feel to brew as a hobby again?
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 am

Tallinn Craft Beer Weekend just published their beer list. Only about 150 beers I want to try in two days. Quite a lot of barrel aged stuff. It was nice knowing you. :lol:
    Wishlist:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:Waiting for our wedding beers to get CO2, should be done by next weekend, then a little time for them to mature before it is time to see how the guests enjoy them.
    Hopefully they all like porter and saison :lol:

Thought about you two the other day when I was at Total wine. A newer brewery here released a Wedding Saison

Local homebrew store is doing a Brett competition to brew with Green Bench and Cigar City. Have to use 1 sacc and 2 Brett's over the course of 6 months. Beening around with recipes but damn I wish it wasn't a hoppy Brett beer.

Yeast:
    Choose 1:
    Omega Yeast Double IPA
    Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager ***
    WLP 568 Belgian Saison
    Grain Bill
    8 lbs. – Castle Belgian Pilsner
    2 lbs. – Bairds Carastan
    2 lbs. – Chit Malt (Best Maltz)
    2 lbs. – Flaked Rye
    2 lbs. – Weyermann Spelt
    2 lbs. – Toasted Buckwheat
    Choose 2:
    WLP 650 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
    WLP 648 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Vrai ***
    WLP 645 Brettanomyces Claussenii ***
    Hops:
    1 oz. – Magnum
    2 oz. – Equinox
    2 oz. – Denali
    2 oz. – Simcoe
    2 oz. – Hopsteiner #06297
    2 oz. – Idaho 7 – The Golden Hop
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Yea it's supposed to be hoppy in character. It was originally supposed to just use the dipa as the sacc but I'm glad he added the other two. At the end of the day they only need to drink 3 and I need to drink the rest.

I want to aim for a bright and fruity Brett flavor that hopefully won't be overpowered by the hops. I guess I'm shooting to do a bretty IPL by doing one of those "quick lager" methods. I picked the two milder Brett strains hoping the hops dont overpower it. I love trois but usually use it as a primary in young Brett beers. I don't think I've ever pitched it I to a secondary outside of my barrel.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm

New bottle shop down the street from us is finally opening this weekend. :beerbang:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Back from Berlin Beer Week (or rather the closing weekend). A great trip once again. The next trip to Berlin will be already in September for Stone Berlin's one year anniversary party. :beerwink:

Oh, yeah, next week I'm going to Copenhagen to visit Uncle Soda. Might end up in some of the city's beer bars.
    Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:14 am

One month to go to the San Diego Beer Week. I was determined to get past 2000 beers on Untappd on that trip, but it now seems I'm reaching it well before (now at 1992). Oh, I have a Ballast Point tasting session coming up this Friday. :beerwink:

Speaking of San Diego Beer Week, mooyagi, you guys should come. You pretty much live in the neighbourhood anyhow. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Memnoch wrote:One month to go to the San Diego Beer Week. I was determined to get past 2000 beers on Untappd on that trip, but it now seems I'm reaching it well before (now at 1992). Oh, I have a Ballast Point tasting session coming up this Friday. :beerwink:

Speaking of San Diego Beer Week, mooyagi, you guys should come. You pretty much live in the neighbourhood anyhow. :beerwink:

Doubt we can swing a trip, unfortunately. Taken too many other vacations lately. :lol:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:00 am

You could easily come for the Guild Fest on Saturday November 4th. :beerwink:
    http://sdbeer.com/sdbw/events/san-diego ... tival-1766
    Wishlist:
Post Reply 2803 posts